• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

nilbog21

Banned
Yo some of you guys need to take it easy with the steam buying... That's prob why steam can drop the price so low; half of them are never going to get played/downloaded ;<

What I bought:

Braid 2.49$
Torchlight 4.99$
Max Payne 1/2 3.75$
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl 1.99$

TOTAL: 13$

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I got:

Killing Floor + Defense Alliance 2
Shattered Horizon
Valve Complete Pack
Dawn of War II
Samorost 2
Outrun 2006
Aquaria
Rome Total War Gold
STALKER: SoC
Trine
Audiosurf
Crysis Maximum Edition
Lucasarts Adventure Pack
Braid
Morrowind
Painkiller Black Edition
Torchlight
The Void

I also got Defense Grid and Withcer EE as gifts.

I kept it under control. Surprisingly so, as I feel like I'm buying shit so often on Steam.

Got:

Defense Grid x3 as gifts
Killing Floor
Civilization 4 Complete
Painkiller: Black
Serious Sam HD
Lucas Arts Adventure Pack

Let's see:

Shattered Horizon 5.00
Civ 4 Complete - 14.00
Max Payne Collection 4.00
Hearts of Iron 3 7.50
GTA IV 7.50

Gifted Stalker, SoC to a friend 2.00

I didn't spend as much as I thought.

turnbuckle

Off the top of my head:

King's Bounty: The Legend
Armored Princess
Sam & Max collection
Defense Grid
The Witcher
Stalker
Killing Floor
Osmos
Kings Quest Collection
Space Quest Collection
The collection with Indiana Jones
Audiosurf
Mirror's Edge

hmm...and definitely a few more. Between purchases for myself and gifts to others I spent almost $260 in the last week and a half on Steam. :lol

I tried getting Civ 4 during the sale but I kept getting errors and totally missed out on it. :(

Garou

I have a couple of guest passes left, PM me your mailaddress if interested:

Counter-Strike: Source
Day of Defeat: Source
Team Fortress 2
Killing Floor (2x)

3rdman

My haul goes back to Thanksgiving...

Morrowind Game of the Year
Mass Effect
Half-Life 1: Source
Osmos
Max Payne Bundle
Jade Empire
Audiosurf
The Orange Box
Bioshock (NA)
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Red Faction Guerrilla
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU)
Braid
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Tomb Raider: Underworld (NA)
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Mirror's Edge
World of Goo
Left 4 Dead
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Star Wars: KOTOR
Batman: Arkham Asylum (NA)

I would've picked up Riddick yesterday if Steam wasn't having issues with my account.

Total Cost: $147.41...Not bad AT ALL! Thank you Steam!

Torchlight
Civ IV Complete
Burnout Paradise
The Witcher
Painkiller Black
Outrun 2006
Defense Grid
Stalker

Not a bad little haul. I was going to pick up killing floor, but someone gave me a pass and it didn't really click with me.

Sanjay

4 Jan 2010 / Total Charge £21.85
  • STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
  • Defense Grid: The Awakening
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Zeno Clash
  • Machinarium

3 Jan 2010 / Total Charge £7.48
  • Morrowind Game of the Year
  • Trine

2 Jan 2010 / Total Charge £12.99
  • Mass Effect
  • Trials 2: Second Edition
  • Sam and Max Season One + Two Pack

1 Jan 2010 / Total Charge £23.22
  • Crysis Complete
  • Street Fighter IV
  • Multiwinia + Darwinia
  • Shattered Horizon

31 Dec 2009 / Total Charge £3.63
  • Max Payne Bundle
  • Osmos

29 Dec 2009 / Total Charge £8.73
  • Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
  • Killing Floor

28 Dec 2009 / Total Charge £5.09
  • Dead Space

26 Dec 2009 / Total Charge £13.50
  • Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
  • Braid
  • Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
  • Torchlight
  • Lumines Base + Advance Pack

Thanksgiving Sale / Total Charge £12.97
  • Mirror's Edge
  • The Chronicles Of Riddick
  • The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Total Cost £109.46 :D

From thanksgiving until end of the holiday sale.

The Witcher - 14.99€. 1h played. Bought because of recommendations.
Mass Effect - 7,99€. Installed and tested. I wanted to give it another shot.
Star Wars: KOTOR - 2.49€ . Bought because of the price. Beat it on XBOX earlier.
Medieval II: Total War - 2.49€ . Bought because of the price. Beat it earlier.
Altitude - 7,49€. Almost 7h played. Great game.
Torchlight - 7,99€. 24+h played. Great game.
Max Payne II - 2.49€. Not tested yet. Bought because of recommendations and price.
Civ IV: Colonization - 10,19€. Installed and tested. Have wanted to play this.
Broken Sword: Twin Pack - 4,49@. Tested BSII. Bought for replay. Beaten them both earlier.
The Dig - 2,29€. Bought for replay. Beaten it earlier.
Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms - 9,99€. No sale, but needed it. Not tested yet.
Morrowind Game of the Year - 4,99€. Bought for replay. Beaten it earlier (not the expansions).
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - 6,79€. Played ½h. Bought because of trailer. Like it so far.
Aquaria - 9,99€. Installed and tested. Bought because of demo and sale. Want to beat it.

So its 94,66€ for me, for 14 games and three expansions, thats 5,57€ per game/expansion.

9 out of 17 items installed and played or at least tested so far.

About 34 hours played so far for all them combined. Thats 2,78€ per hour so far. Pretty good value already. :D Heck, a movie costs me about 5€ per hour at my local cinema.

Struct09

Machinarium
Telltale Everything Pack
Painkiller: Collectors Pack (NA)
Mass Effect
Crysis Complete (NA)
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Max Payne Bundle
Jade Empire
Killing Floor
Red Faction Guerrilla
Serious Sam HD (US)
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Splintercell: Chaos Theory
Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package
Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU)
Torchlight
Zeno Clash
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Lucidity
Trine
Star Wars: KOTOR
Osmos

In hindsight, I could have done without a few of those :p

MNC

Ugh, now that I'm trying my Killing Floor guest pass I find that it's a neat shooter. L4D takes the cake, but this is just a different kind of zombie game. And it's not discounted anymore :|

nilbog21 said:
Yo some of you guys need to take it easy with the steam buying... That's prob why steam can drop the price so low; half of them are never going to get played/downloaded ;<

What I bought:

Braid 2.49$
Torchlight 4.99$
Max Payne 1/2 3.75$
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl 1.99$

TOTAL: 13$

Buying on Steam is a meta game

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Why is World In Conflict: Soviet Assault 1 megabyte? Were the files already in the original WiC and that just unlocks them?

My Steam Winter haul

Crysis: Max Edition
Trine

That is all. I was tempted to pick up other games (Shattered Horizon was in and out of my cart a good 20 times on the day it was $5) but Dragon Age is coming via goozex and I picked up L4D2 from Dell for $30 which was cheaper than what Steam offered it for.

Reno7728

Shattered Horizon
Hearts of iron 3
And Stalker on a GAF gift :)

Not bad going - but £12 Arma 2 on play.com has me very tempted

buck_steam.jpg

I prefer to keep tight reins on the Steam purchases, restrict it to a relative few cheap favorites (or likely favorites). Only one that cost over $2.50 individually was Torchlight @ $5. Time is another factor, no point in building up a Steam equivalent of "shelf-sitters" I will likely never play.

Q8D3vil

i just downloaded civilization
what do you recommend me to do ?!
play the vanilla or is there some mods to enhanced the gameplay ?!

Rotanibor

Q8D3vil said:
i just downloaded civilization
what do you recommend me to do ?!
play the vanilla or is there some mods to enhanced the gameplay ?!

If you got the complete pack, just download Beyond the Sword instead. If not just dive in for now and worry about mods later.

Submarino Conversível said:
Buying on Steam is a meta game
Indeed . . . that game only cost him $13 and I bet he has a great feeling of satisfaction from playing. And between combing through the Steam game lists, reading this thread, and buying the games . . . he probably got several hours of enjoyment.

And for many, including me, there were extra challenge games such as trying to figure out how to buy games when paypal, your credit card company, and/or Steam locked you out from buying games.

Smash88 said:
:lol

What is your definition of old exactly?

WEll, I think this machine is actually 2006 or so. It's a laptop, so that is part of the reason. It was a mid end Toshiba at some point in time. Probably around 600 dollars.

Q8D3vil

Rotanibor said:
If you got the complete pack, just download Beyond the Sword instead. If not just dive in for now and worry about mods later.
yeah i got the whole pack ( thanks to Poigea )
so you recommend starting with beyond the sword first ?!

Guys, I'm not that good with Steam. I used it in 2004 for HL2 and hadn't really looked at it until this year..

My question is, can we buy and sell and trade each other's games? I know you can gift a brand new game purchase, but can I say, sell my license for Torchlight to someone? Does it work that way ? I would imagine it does not.

Parham

Banned
Kureishima said:
My question is, can we buy and sell and trade each other's games? I know you can gift a brand new game purchase, but can I say, sell my license for Torchlight to someone? Does it work that way ? I would imagine it does not.

Nope

just

Torchlight
Rome: Total War gold
Medieval 2: Total war

for me, totaling $17.47.
Only regrets were not waiting for Torchlight to be a daily deal, and not grabbing the civ 4 complete pack for $13.60.

Torchlight is freakin awesome though, played about 9 hours over the past three days and am loving it.

MoFuzz

toasty_T said:
Now I feel like I have one thing less to do everyday.

Dude, you have no idea. I was off work for 11 out of the 13 days of this sale.

During that time, checking this thread and the Steam front page were my religon. Every night I would pray to the Steam Gods for the next day's offering.

BuckRobotron said:
buck_steam.jpg

I prefer to keep tight reins on the Steam purchases, restrict it to a relative few cheap favorites (or likely favorites). Only one that cost over $2.50 individually was Torchlight @ $5. Time is another factor, no point in building up a Steam equivalent of "shelf-sitters" I will likely never play.

You just started, just wait till that list gets longer. Soon Steam will have you clutched in its cold, bony fingers of consumerism and like all of us, you too will simply become another list keeper!

GamaFu

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
yeah i got the whole pack ( thanks to Poigea )
so you recommend starting with beyond the sword first ?!
There are only two expansions for civilization iv, warlord and beyond the sword. I believe beyond the sword has included all new features/changes added in warlord, so yeah, you only need to download the original game and beyond the sword. Colonization is a standalone game, I haven't tried it though. With or without the expansion, civilization played quite similar to me. There's no reason to play vanilla i guess.

kennah

MoFuzz said:

During that time, checking this thread and the Steam front page were my religon. Every night I would pray to the Steam Gods for the next day's offering.
I'm on vacation away from home (and my gaming pc), I didn't even go into the Gaming Board, just kept this thread open.

Smash88

Banned
kennah said:
I'm on vacation away from home (and my gaming pc), I didn't even go into the Gaming Board, just kept this thread open.

Yup, this thread was my life. Like I said earlier, this felt like a forum within' a forum. It was ridiculous, I gotta go back to the NHL, off-topic, gaming discussion threads. I feel so dirty. I liked our little cult here, if you want to call it that. :lol

The Steam Cult. Beating Scientology up since 2003. :lol

Anyways, gotta give a shout out to speculawyer and kennah for gifting me games, words cannot describe how thankful I am. Definitely will repay the community when I get the means to. :D

Oh and Kennah gifted me Nation Red. It is a great game. Power-ups, weapons, great graphics, zombies. It is something like Smash TV with zombies. The game has great support from the devs, the main reason I got it is because they are so engaged with the community on the steam forums. They are also adding a co-op mode, from scratch, soon enough. Hopefully you guys will pick this up the next sale you get. Or definitely check out.

MoFuzz said:

:lol

I am guilty as well. And I feel kinda stupid about it. But hey, I've got a kick ass set of games now.

And I now have more incentive to build the HTPC system I've been talking about . . . I'll be able to use it for DVRing local over-the-air TV and for gaming on the big HDTV. It is kinda cool to pay less for some games that are available on consoles AND get a better quality experience due to modern graphics cards & lots of memory. Of course that requires an expensive PC gaming rig, dealing with driver updates, getting stubborn games to work properly, getting patches when Steam doesn't do the patching, etc. :lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
YAY! got Rome: Total war gold and sniper elite as my last purchases of the sale.

My total was:

Zombie driver
Day of Defeat source
Left 4 dead
Rome: Total war gold
sniper elite

and got as gifts

Torchlight
Mass Effect
Max Payne bundle

Thanks kipe and my secret santa.

I got:

Audiosurf
Braid
Crysis Maximum Edition
Dead Space
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year
Empire: Total War
Half-Life Anthology
Hearts of Iron 3
Jade Empire
Lumines Advanced pack
Mass Effect
Medieval II: Total War
Portal
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Civilization IV Complete
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Torchlight
World in Conflict

I purchased so much that I probably have enough to last me more than a year of new experiences. I don't think I mind however. The damage to my wallet felt refreshingly minimal after years of buying expensive console games. More importantly, this sale taught me a powerful lesson about how much a gaming dollar can get me (and the sale probably made me a PC gamer first for life). From now on, I'm going to be a lot more careful and demanding as a consumer.

bengraven

This deal was great! Now to keep modding the fuck out of Mount & Blade and Morrowind and I have enough games to last me until the next sale.

mrgone said:
I feel empty and alone now that I have to face my bills

I realized I spent $100 on games this weekend and I just keep telling myself "please, let no one look at the bank statement..."

Firehead

BuddhaRockstar said:
You just started, just wait till that list gets longer. Soon Steam will have you clutched in its cold, bony fingers of consumerism and like all of us, you too will simply become another list keeper!
Steam's become an addiction. Just watching the list grow makes me happy, I'd buy the worst game for cheap, as long as it was added to my Steam list.
Actually, I think I already did that with Elf Bowling
Why can't I quit you, Steam!? This is a worse addiction than ANY MMO, and it's more expensive!
Just sign me up for Steam Addicts Anonymous.

I wonder if they'll have a mid-week madness sale this week..

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Firestorm said:
I really shouldn't have bought Fallout 3 GOTY. I'm pretty sure it's going to hit $30 regular price in a month =(
That $17 messup really fooled me, I thought that was a glimpse at a sale they were going to give us. But I'd gladly pay a little more for it.

Daigoro

Smash88 said:
Oh and Kennah gifted me Nation Red. It is a great game. Power-ups, weapons, great graphics, zombies. It is something like Smash TV with zombies. The game has great support from the devs, the main reason I got it is because they are so engaged with the community on the steam forums. They are also adding a co-op mode, from scratch, soon enough. Hopefully you guys will pick this up the next sale you get. Or definitely check out.

huh. i was wondering about that game. i had just finished up Zombie Apocalypse on XBLA though so wasnt quite ready to jump back in to another Smash TV type game. ill have to check this one out.

Im not going to lie, between scouring the product pages, going over the thread, checking out youtube videos of gameplay and deciding whether I should throw something in the cart or not....I easily spent 15-20 hours on the Steam Sale, and only ended up spending 32 bucks (which got me 6 games that I've downloaded but not started yet. Thats far more time than I've had out of any game I've purchased on my PS3 (most is Uncharted 1 at ~8 hours), and better than many of my single player games on 360. And it was cheaper! It really was a game, and a damn good dollar per hour rate too.

Truespeed

Participating in this thread was just as much fun as playing the actual games. The anticipation for the new crop of games and the impending reaction was the game within the game. Special shout out for all of the people that gifted games, held contests and especially to those that coordinated purchases for people that couldn't buy the games due to regional or credit card issues (speculawyer, greywolf, etc). Hopefully, the success of this sale will spur the sales department at Valve to have more of these sales throughout the year.

Jak140

TrAcEr_x90 said:
yeah i tried my email link too. Took me to a page that said if nothing happens click here. Click it and still nothing happens. I tried in explorer and chrome. so wierd. i want my left4dead 2 dammit.

Hey, glad you got it working. It's weird that you had to redownload steam on a different computer to fix it. Did steam ever get back to you to let you know what the issue was?

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game!

Top Bottom