• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Struct09

Now that it's over, I feel safe in saying that this year's sales were better than last year's. They outdid themselves.

My backlog is now ridiculously shameful, thanks Steam.

Hawk xSx said:
It was kinda meta just to be waiting for deals and buying them. Now turning back and seeing all that I've gotten...
Yeah, I realized this after a while the game was figuring out what games you wanted and trying to get them at the best price.

And when people ran out of games to buy many tried to figure out what friends/family would like and bought games for them.

Chakan said:
Your PC must be incredibly old then. Like 10 years old or more.

Honestly dude it's not that old..

Intel Celeron 1.60 Ghz

512 RAM

It just always sucked and sucks even more now. It's not technically my computer. Mine were destroyed along with my HDTV, so . . A new one is in order if and when I can afford it.

I thought for sure this thing would be able to run Torchlight..

Well, it can run Diablo so. .

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I did some last minute shopping. Literally. I payed through paypal a minute after the sale ended. Paypal made the transaction, but the game isn't listed on my account page on steampowered.com.

Is my account page just a bit slow or did something go wrong? And I can't run the steam app at this time to check if the game is on there :D

gregor7777 said:
Srsly, I think that sale probably just funded a next game from quite a few indie devs.
yeah, I went on an indie rampage . . . I bought at least 10 different indie games . . . actually more when I consider gifts.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Kureishima said:

Intel Celeron 1.60 Ghz

512 RAM

It just always sucked and sucks even more now. It's not technically my computer. Mine were destroyed along with my HDTV, so . . A new one is in order if and when I can afford it.

Same type of gameplay != same system requirements.

Bamihap said:
Same type of gameplay != same system requirements.

That's not what I meant by "it can run Diablo". I just meant that it can run most of the games I play on PC, which are all super old (Quest for GLory/Diablo/Daggerfall). It's pretty rare that I play new PC games (or PC games at all).

I didn't mean that because the gameplay was similar they would both be able to run. :)

Owzers

I miss buying cheap games already. I'm buying Mass Effect 2 for 56.99 w/ $10 Amazon Gift Card....seems so expensive.

Kureishima said:

Intel Celeron 1.60 Ghz

512 RAM

Thats a pretty old computer dude, netbooks for $300 are better equipped.

Chakan

Kureishima said:

Intel Celeron 1.60 Ghz

512 RAM

Celeron is horrible for gaming. And pretty much anything else.

Try getting a new one. Mid end pcs are not very expensive.

Smash88

Banned
Kureishima said:

Intel Celeron 1.60 Ghz

512 RAM

:lol

What is your definition of old exactly?

graywolf323

Grand Theft Auto IV
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Serious Sam HD
iD Super Pack
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Cogs
Lumines
Hearts of Iron III + all DLC
Zombie Driver
Burnout Paradise
Jade Empire
Multiwinia
Shattered Horizon
Devil May Cry 4
Trials 2
Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising
Eidos Collector Pack
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Platinum
World in Conflict Complete
Ghost Recon Pack
Telltale Everything Pack
Puzzle Quest
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix
Space Quest Collection
King's Quest Collection
Sherlock Holmes Collection
Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Rainbow Six 3: Gold
Rainbow Six Vegas
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
GUN
Rainbow Six: Lockdown
Grid
Majesty Gold Edition
Spellforce - Platinum Edition
Spellforce 2: Gold Edition
Nancy Drew: Collection
King's Bounty: The Legend
Indigo Prophecy
Europa Universalis III: Complete
Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition
A Farewell to Dragons
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky

I feel dirty...

Well. I guess i'll stick to mid week deals and weekend deals but considering what I picked up during the holiday sales i'll just hold off until end of the year so they can add more games to steam.

Hawk SE

graywolf323 said:
Grand Theft Auto IV
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Serious Sam HD
iD Super Pack
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Cogs
Lumines
Hearts of Iron III + all DLC
Zombie Driver
Burnout Paradise
Jade Empire
Multiwinia
Shattered Horizon
Devil May Cry 4
Trials 2
Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising
Eidos Collector Pack
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Platinum
World in Conflict Complete
Ghost Recon Pack
Telltale Everything Pack
Puzzle Quest
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix
Space Quest Collection
King's Quest Collection
Sherlock Holmes Collection
Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Rainbow Six 3: Gold
Rainbow Six Vegas
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
GUN
Rainbow Six: Lockdown
Grid
Majesty Gold Edition
Spellforce - Platinum Edition
Spellforce 2: Gold Edition
Nancy Drew: Collection
King's Bounty: The Legend
Indigo Prophecy
Europa Universalis III: Complete
Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition
A Farewell to Dragons
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky

I feel dirty...

What's the total damage vs the total saved in buying all that??

graywolf323

Hawk xSx said:

total damage was $588.62 (according to my spreadsheet, ended up just using Excel to keep track of everything after a while)

but I sold some stuff on eBay during this and almost $100 was Christmas gifts from my mom and sis (who just bought me whatever was in my steam cart at the time)

I'm not quite broke after this but I'm pretty damn close :p

the total savings was probably a lot more than I spent, I'd guess maybe $1k?

edit: the only games I bought that were less than 50% off were Devil May Cry 4, King's Bounty: The Legend, and Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Delerat

Neo Member
So to go with the major spending I did on this Steam sale, I'm making a New Years resolution. I will only buy a couple of the major titles that come out this year and only if they have decent replay value, otherwise I'll just rent. I may make exceptions for indie/artsy games. I will also attempt to get through as much of my backlog as possible. Mostly aiming at plowing through 305 Steam games and 115 PS2 games.

poweld

Osmos - 2
Mass Effect - 5
Max Payne Bundle - 3.75
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - 13.60
Killing Floor - 5
Dead Space - 10.20
King's Bounty: Armored Princess - 10
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast - 2.50
Serious Sam HD (US) - 10

Total: ~$62

Just goes to show you how the price of a new MSRP console game (+tax) can be stretched to crazy lengths on the PC. This list would surely have been much longer if I hadn't picked up the Enormous Indie game bundle and THQ pack earlier this...er...last year.

The only real surprise for me here is Osmos. I did not expect much from this game, and was very impressed. If you haven't played it, do yourself a favor and at least give the demo a try.

dani_dc

Bit sad that it's over, Steam feels so empty now without all the emotions of the deals.

The great majority of games I got were completely unexpected, some of them I had absolutely no intentions of getting before I saw the prices.

Torchlight being the more notable one, I even managed to ignore it during the first sale, but I ended up not resisting the second after some guilt over missing it the first time around :lol

Regret not having taken advantage of the Star Wars Package deal when it was at 9.99 for some 10-15 minutes, especially since I was with it open for a good few minutes before it went up. Also a bit regretful about skiping Trine, but the game only ran well on the lowest setting and it looked absolutely horrible.

I have to say though, at the end of the sale I was too used to the low prices, I felt like I was paying a ridiculously expensive games when buying The Witcher for 10 euros and Machinarium for 7.5 :lol

And good thing I went to college, I'm not sure I would had been able to avoid buying Aquaria otherwise, even while there I was tempted to find a way to get it :lol

graywolf323

Hawk xSx said:

okay did the math (well Excel did but I entered the numbers :p including finding a Google cache of the Eidos pack to find it's value)

total spent: $588.62
total when not on sale: $1,331.95
total when you don't factor in packs: $1,968.80

I think I did pretty damn good :D

so I saved $743.33 or $1,380.18 depending on how you look at it

dani_dc

TrAcEr_x90 said:
HA

and it was for myself recieving a game from someone. Just wont show up in my list now.
You can always ask that person to resend you the gift, there's an option for it in games->managing gifts and guest pass

dani_dc said:
You can always ask that person to resend you the gift, there's an option for it in games->managing gifts and guest pass

Ill double check and see if he can resend it. I thought we tried that, but he said it had me listed as gift sent, but not installed, and it wouldnt let him resend it. Gotta double check tonight.

194 pages (with 50 posts per page). Wow. That is bigger than most individual game threads get.

Oh . . . you can stop reading this thread now, you junkies, the sale is over.

And you can stop posting to it too. This is my last post. I mean it this time. ;-)

Total Haul:

Audiosurf
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Darwinia
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Grand Theft Auto IV
Killing Floor
Mass Effect
Multiwinia
Osmos
Outrun 2006
STALKER
Street Fighter IV
Torchlight

What I almost bought:

Eidos Pack
Witcher Enhanced
Trine

By far my favorite deal of the year....a new present every day :p

domlolz

Banned
I'm including the Thanksgiving sale as well, seeing as that was just a pre-christmas sale for those not in the US.

Far Cry 2
Grand Theft Auto 4
Red Alert 3
World In Conflict
Audiosurf
GRID
Dragon Age:Origins
Torchlight
Mass Effect

Not that much...but plenty to play

dani_dc

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Ill double check and see if he can resend it. I thought we tried that, but he said it had me listed as gift sent, but not installed, and it wouldnt let him resend it. Gotta double check tonight.
If it's listed as "sent" that means you haven't acepted yet and he can resend it by clicking on the name of the game (on the gifts management menu) and then "resend gift", it's only when it's "Redeemed" that he cannot resend a gift any longer.

If for some reason he can't resend the gift without it being "Redeemed" or it being "Redeemed" but you not actually have done so, or the gifting thing just keeps not working in general, just contact Steam service and I'm sure they'll sort it out.

A lot of people bought a ton of games, I bet a lot of those games won't even be played by the time the 2010 Holiday Sale is here.

Also, I've never seen the word "haul" used so much until this thread.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Label said:
I suppose you cannot go wrong with Fuel for £2.99. :lol

Last game I am buying in this damn sale I swear!

Oh God I was wrong, so damn wrong. This game is fucking horrible! :lol

I have seriously got more fun out of the toothbrush I bought for £3.50 today, than the £2.99 I paid for this piece of crap.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
DIrtyWeasel said:
A lot of people bought a ton of games, I bet a lot of those games won't even be played by the time the 2010 Holiday Sale is here.

Also, I've never seen the word "haul" used so much until this thread.

that should be a thread at the end of this year before the next steam sale

"what games did almost buy because they were on sale, but realized you bought them last year, the great Steam Sale of 2010"

Hawk SE

Label said:

I have seriously got more fun out of the toothbrush I bought for £3.50 today, than the £2.99 I paid for this piece of crap.

So glad I didn't bite down on that shit sandwich. Sorry it's bad, guess you can see why it was $4.99 right?

TrAcEr_x90 said:
check your tied email account. I had this issue a few times as well. But by clicking on the link in the email it worked perfectly fine.

Fularu

Banned
My bounty was :

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 10.19 USD
Command and Conquer: Kane's Wrath 6.79 USD
Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars 10.19 USD
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising 6.79 USD
Crysis Complete (NA) 13.59 USD
Street Fighter IV 9.99 USD
Half-Life 1: Source 2.49 USD
Max Payne Bundle 3.74 USD
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box 7.49 USD
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast 2.49 USD
Lumines Base + Advance Pack 2.99 USD
Red Faction Guerrilla 9.99 USD
Cogs 1.99 USD
King's Bounty: Armored Princess 9.99 USD
Serious Sam HD (US) 9.99 USD
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 13.59 USD
Defense Grid: The Awakening 2.49 USD
Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU) 7.49 USD
Indigo Prophecy 3.39 USD
Eidos Collector Pack 49.99 USD
Complete Shooter Pack 3.74 USD
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle 2.49 USD
Broken Sword: Twin Pack 4.99 USD

Total : 196.87$

/cry

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Label said:

Damn it! Not worth installing bad? I love Burnout Paradise from the 10 hours or so I have put in since I got it in this deal, so open world racer is not a negative for me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
My final haul.

Defense Grid: The Awakening, Braid, Audiosurf, World of Goo, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW), World in Conflict: Complete, AI War: Fleet Command, Machinarium, X3: Terran Conflict, Samorost 2 $59.91 total

Shattered Horizon, Multiwinia + Darwinia $7.98

Left 4 Dead - Four Pack, Total War Mega Pack (EU), Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition $73.55

Killing floor $5

Day of defeat source $2.49

Total $148.93

Not bad, i think i pretty much got a good majority of steam titles i wanted with the exception of kings bounty gold, eu3, tales of monkey island, battlefield 2, red orchestra, dawn of discovery and a few others.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
poppabk said:
Damn it! Not worth installing bad?

Imo yes, I have already un-installed it, at least I got a couple of achievements..

I loved Burnout Paradise, but this does not even really feel like driving at all so damn floaty. Chasing helicopters is a little fun though.

(I normally do just play sim racers though)

MoFuzz

It's over! Only spent about $62 over this sale, and I bought me some:

Jedi Knight Bundle
Bioshock
Painkiller: Black Edition
Shadowgrounds Pack
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Mass Effect
Shattered Horizon
Max Payne Bundle
Osmos
Killing Floor
Serious Sam HD

Would have bought the following if it were not for stupid 3rd party DRM:

Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena
Crysis: Maximum Edition
Grand Theft Auto IV
Far Cry 2

Had I not purchased them on previous sales, I have have jumped at:

Torchlight
Street Fighter IV
Mirror's Edge
Left 4 Dead
Audiosurf
Braid
Trine
STALKER: SoC

Caesar III said:
check your tied email account. I had this issue a few times as well. But by clicking on the link in the email it worked perfectly fine.

yeah i tried my email link too. Took me to a page that said if nothing happens click here. Click it and still nothing happens. I tried in explorer and chrome. so wierd. i want my left4dead 2 dammit.

Top Bottom