• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadin

You guys surely are raining on Tomb Raider's parade and I haven't played it yet. I wasn't eager to play, as I can't tolerate QTEs, but you are totally killing it. It can't be all bad.
I really enjoyed the game myself. Not a big fan of QTEs either but the rest of the game was plenty impressive to me. I'd say go into it with an open mind and try not to think about the people who didn't care for it - you might. And that's all that matter right?

Fracas

#fuckonami
You guys surely are raining on Tomb Raider's parade and I haven't played it yet. I wasn't eager to play, as I can't tolerate QTEs, but you are totally killing it. It can't be all bad.

Tomb Raider doesn't have an original bone in its body but it's still worth playing.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A quick phone type-up for Outlast impressions for those on the fence.

Outlast is a 5-7 hour FPS horror game which involves a main character who parkours somewhat similarly (though not quite as gracefully) as the chick from Mirror's Edge. You have a nightlight filter on a camera you carry around to see in the dark, though the thing has extremely limited batteries and you need to keep collecting more to use it.

The game does mostly a good job at varying up its enemies and scenario types to make things a bit too samey (though there are a few suspiciously similar moments of having to go to three points to collect/turn something on to open the way forward), but the running, hiding, and climbing and exploring around elements are pretty fun. Game has it's scary moments, but as a horror ethusiast I also don't think it's as scary as it thinks it is. The beginning and a few parts in the middle are pretty well done though. The story isn't bad, but it has a plot twist that is extremely dissapointing.

Also as I always have to say about the game, this game had the most penises in it out of any game I've ever played. Maybe with the exception of Rust now.

But I would recommend it if you like horror games at the price it's at, it is worth $7, if interested.

Arthea

It's not bad. There are probably only 10(?) or so QTEs in the whole game. It tells a good story, has a lot of action, and the graphics were awesome. It's in my top 5 GotY list.

It's a great game. It's one of those that became divisive way after its release. Go check out the official thread. Glowing reviews upon release, widely loved. It's a game that has become cool to hate and the detractors levy unfair criticisms at it that apply to every game ever made.

It didn't redefine gaming as we know it, and for that, some have decided to prop it up as the source for all casualization in games.

Play it. It's a fantastic game.

I really enjoyed the game myself. Not a big fan of QTEs either but the rest of the game was plenty impressive to me. I'd say go into it with an open mind and try not to think about the people who didn't care for it - you might. And that's all that matter right?

Balance restored. Thanks!

theRizzle

Tomb Raider doesn't have an original bone in its body but it's still worth playing.

This is exactly how I feel as well. I found it to be completely soulless and it really felt like a game created from a checklist of what AAA games should be like.

That said, I mostly enjoyed it for what it is. My biggest beef (other than the non-sensical story) was the "tombs" which seemed to take about 90 seconds each.

yatesl

Also have 5 credits amassed from Amazon sales (buying .40 cent DLC, LOL) to use on January 3rd for the Editor's Choice awards.

So the $5 credits stack? Do we know what the editor's choice awards games are? I'm from the UK, so my bank adds an extra charge on top of foreign transactions (although I think it's a %... So it'd only be an extra 20p perhaps).

If it means getting a game for free, though...

Arthea

A quick phone type-up for Outlast impressions for those on the fence.

Outlast is a 5-7 hour FPS horror game which involves a main character who parkours somewhat similarly (though not quite as gracefully) as the chick from Mirror's Edge. You have a nightlight filter on a camera you carry around to see in the dark, though the thing has extremely limited batteries and you need to keep collecting more to use it.

The game does mostly a good job at varying up its enemies and scenario types to make things a bit too samey (though there are a few suspiciously similar moments of having to go to three points to collect/turn something on to open the way forward), but the running, hiding, and climbing and exploring around elements are pretty fun. Game has it's scary moments, but as a horror ethusiast I also don't think it's as scary as it thinks it is. The beginning and a few parts in the middle are pretty well done though. The story isn't bad, but it has a plot twist that is extremely dissapointing.

Also as I always have to say about the game, this game had the most penises in it out of any game I've ever played. Maybe with the exception of Rust now.

But I would recommend it if you like horror games at the price it's at, it is worth $7, if interested.
How come it isn't insanely popular as Rust then? (><)
Thanks for impressions.

Leatherface

It's not. It's actually a lot of fun and well worth the price. Just don't over analyze everything and enjoy it for what it is. It's really pretty to look at and the combat is a ton of fun.

Angry Fork

Is Splinter Cell blacklist fast paced military bullshit or is it slow like the older original Splinter Cell's? I hated Conviction, this one looks the same. But I'd love to play another SC if it was a legit one that punished action and rewarded stealth.

Dusk Golem

Also, I'll say I liked Tomb Raider. It has definite flaws, and as said it really doesn't have an original bone in it, but it can be good fun. I liked the environments a lot, they were fun to climb around in, fight in, and explore around.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
g-gif-update.php

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Is Splinter Cell blacklist fast paced military bullshit or is it slow like the older original Splinter Cell's? I hated Conviction, this one looks the same. But I'd love to play another SC if it was a legit one that punished action and rewarded stealth.

Its got the good stuff of conviction while still retaining Chaos theory options of play. Blacklist is probably my favorite splinter cell.

So the $5 credits stack? Do we know what the editor's choice awards games are? I'm from the UK, so my bank adds an extra charge on top of foreign transactions (although I think it's a %... So it'd only be an extra 20p perhaps).

If it means getting a game for free, though...

It's 1 per purchase - the credits don't stack. That said, I understand that there are going to be several games below $5 next month, so each credit would make it a free game.

didamangi

This is exactly how I feel as well. I found it to be completely soulless and it really felt like a game created from a checklist of what AAA games should be like.

That said, I mostly enjoyed it for what it is. My biggest beef (other than the non-sensical story) was the "tombs" which seemed to take about 90 seconds each.

As someone who doesn't have a last gen console (thus never experienced the Uncharted series) and have finished the Crystal Dynamics TR trilogy the reboot was loads of fun for what it was. I really enjoyed the ride but the lack of any challenging puzzle in the game is really disappointing.

It's not bad. There are probably only 10(?) or so QTEs in the whole game. It tells a good story, has a lot of action, and the graphics were awesome. It's in my top 5 GotY list.

In my opinion Tomb raider was set piece after set piece, and even on the maximum difficulty the game was too easy. The quick time events were awful but only in the first part of the game. It wasn't so much fun because Lara was never in danger, she just killed everybody... Lame puzzles, lame treasures, no survival, pure action game. Let's hope the next tomb raider come back to the roots.

I want to get it too but 50% off/$30 is just not a great deal :|

Wasted potential of its original concept, by-the-numbers third-person shooter (with a ton of bad design choices) that no one asked for and postponed / cancelled any plans for a Guardian of Light 2. For me it really is that bad.

Hated Uncharted 1, 2 was pretty alright, disliked 3 so my opinion isn't a case of favoring one franchise for another either, as big of a strawman that argument was in the first place. Yes, most of its faults can be seen elsewhere (which is why I'm not too keen on most AAA games nowadays), but they're all the more glaring in this awful excuse of a reboot that I was initially looking forward to.

Dusk Golem

I am legitimately curious to see which game wins this community vote. I voted Doorways, but all three are good games up my alley (and own all but the Gnome one).

Angry Fork

Its got the good stuff of conviction while still retaining Chaos theory options of play. Blacklist is probably my favorite splinter cell.

Does it have a light/dark and sound meter so you know whether or not you're going to be seen? This wasn't in Conviction and it was so frustrating you just had to guess, I don't understand taking that out.

dream

I remember a few people (Or one really determined person) who said they wanted Morrowind for $5 yesterday. GMG has the GOTY version for $4 with code GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49

Nice, thanks! It's been long enough since I've played Morrowind to want to do a full replay, I think.

Anyone know what the must-have mods are?

Khronico

It's far better than Conviction for sure. Not on the same level as Chaos Theory, but a good SC game in its own right. The best way I can compare it is that it's the Human Revolution to the Deus Ex Franchise, NOT the Absolution to the Hitman Franchise. And, if memory serves me, you can play through the entire game without ever killing a single person.

feel

It's not thatbad per se. Just forgettable and different from previous Tomb Raiders.

That 200 item limit on the community market should reset January 1, correct?
What limit is this? Concurrent items up for sale? I'm pretty sure I'm now past 200 cards sold just in the last 5 days.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space 3 Origin -- MB-1A14FE66AC989C1F
The Showdown Effect -- MB-BC67272957599280
War of the Roses Kingmaker -- MB-05F72E2726FF7489
vRvbDCu.png
The Sims 3 Origin -- MB-202DC66E6BD3C447

t1387916753z1.png

Whoever wins Sims 3, please PM me, I will also be giving you the expansion and DLC to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom