• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah it's confusing how these things happen. i mean isn't that whole office policy of no hierarchy and like moving desks and shit supposed to make people motivated?

it's so weird

It's exactly why it happens. Since they also have bonuses. A feature/project can get to a "good enough" level or not even that, they move on to more lucrative projects. And it's not like they're doing a bad job from their perspective since business is successful and more and more people join their service.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I also played a few hours of Jazzpunk and that game was.... not for me.

I don't mind quirky exploration games where you go around and click stuff, like Stanley Parable, but the setting and humour just didn't hit home with me at all :(

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Valve needs a division of zen code maintenance monks who have no desire for earthly bonuses and live only to update and polish existing features.

Actually, that kinda sounds like how they've outsourced TF2 updates to the community.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's exactly why it happens. Since they also have bonuses. A feature/project can get to a "good enough" level or not even that, they move on to more lucrative projects. And it's not like they're doing a bad job from their perspective since business is successful and more and more people join their service.

i dunno i would think valve attracts the kind of people that are into it for more than the $$$$ :/

Arthea

the difference between Hexcells and Hexcells Plus can be nicely summed up by looking at my total play time for 100 %.

It took 2.3 hours to perfect Hexcells, while it took me 10.2 hours to perfect Hexcells Plus. The game has the same amount of levels.

Scared of Infinite.... :O

Infinite took me.... 24, plus - 9, I've played the first one two times (ya, all of it) - 5 hours.

edited: also Infinite made to my overall GOTY list,
not steam GOTY list, tho

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hexcells Infinity is an amusing one with it's dichotomy. The levels created by the game designer are indeed the toughest in the series proper, but the randomised stages are often quite easy and better suited for relaxation and zen than deep puzzle solving.

Luckily the created stages by other players offers plenty in-between that.

Arthea

Hexcells Infinity is an amusing one with it's dichotomy. The levels created by the game designer are indeed the toughest in the series proper, but the randomised stages are often quite easy and better suited for relaxation and zen than deep puzzle solving.

Luckily the created stages by other players offers plenty in-between that.

I don't see Hexcells as a zen game tbh, it is pretty intense, of course you can take your time, but you still spend it thinking, figuring, calculating, while a real name of LYNE is zen ;)
2014 was great year for puzzle games of many kinds, amazing even. The Room, Hexcells, Lyne, Strata, Lexica, Letter Quest, Dungeon of Elements (not as good as others, but still has nice things going for it), Artifex Mundi games, Circuits, Ziro and list goes on and on and on. What a year.

edited: I hardly had time to play anything else with so many good puzzle games being available all the time (><)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I didn't call Hexcells a zen game, I said the randomised stages of Infinite can be, which is only part of a overall package. Of the few hundred I've played, very few of them have offered any real challenge by the first Hexcell's standards, featuring far more clues to start with, and no punishment at all for either picking the wrong cell or randomly guessing. The sense of intensity or the pressure of getting stuck ceases to be for the most part and is a great way to get someone into the game where a stress filled "I don't know what to do first" type standard puzzle of Infinite would send them running away.

It was a great year for puzzle games I will agree and I hope it only continues in 2015. Hopefully this year we got a nonagram (picross) and Slither Link on Steam.

i dunno i would think valve attracts the kind of people that are into it for more than the $$$$ :/

There's also stack ranking. Someone might start working on some stuff we might find useful, but if co-workers don't find it useful it's going to affect their ranking. It's not about who they attract, but the work environment. And it's about working in groups. If you can't get people on board for your project, that's it for it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We're two weeks (and some change) shy of it being a year since SiN Gold hit GOG (time certainly flies). Hurry up with that Steam version already, MumboJumbo!

Arthea

We're two weeks (and some change) shy of it being a year since SiN Gold hit GOG (time certainly flies). Hurry up with that Steam version already, MumboJumbo!

I would like to know what's going on with MumboJumbo, all their newer games have no cards, no cheevos, no leaderboards, nothing, not to mention that most of them are hidden object games as opposed to all kinds of puzzle games they were releasing before. I don't like their attitude one bit.

edited: oh, I don't know that you aren't talking about games but +1s, but I am ;)

zkylon

zkylewd
There's also stack ranking. Someone might start working on some stuff we might find useful, but if co-workers don't find it useful it's going to affect their ranking. It's not about who they attract, but the work environment. And it's about working in groups. If you can't get people on board for your project, that's it for it.
so what are you saying is that, much like all of valve's projects, valve's method of project management falls victim to the same principle of "sounds good in concept, but is actually really misguided, poorly implemented and promptly forgotten"

pretty disheartening to picture valve as a company that grabs talented and creative people and turns them into money making monkeys

this is truly the kind of compelling data i don't know how i did without during my neogaf vacations

titch

the difference between Hexcells and Hexcells Plus can be nicely summed up by looking at my total play time for 100 %.

It took 2.3 hours to perfect Hexcells, while it took me 10.2 hours to perfect Hexcells Plus. The game has the same amount of levels.

Scared of Infinite.... :O

Still on Hexcells......

2014 was great year for puzzle games of many kinds, amazing even. The Room, Hexcells, Lyne, Strata, Lexica, Letter Quest, Dungeon of Elements (not as good as others, but still has nice things going for it), Artifex Mundi games, Circuits, Ziro and list goes on and on and on. What a year.

Nice list cheers for that missed a lot of gaming in 14

Tizoc

The main problem with Sonic is that it's Sonic.

No it isn't, the problem with Sonic is that SEGA can't decide how to make good new games for him. They had a good formula with Colors and Generations, but they chose to go and make something different.
Sonic LW had good ideas but very bad execution, one of the most boring games I've ever played.

Sonic Boom 3DS is more tolerable for me, it's not the greatest game ever but it's an OK platformer.

Dr Dogg

http://abload.de/img/ubishit1pjxq.jpg[IMG]

Where the fuck is it Ubisoft.[/QUOTE]

Speaking from experience this is why having a company with a bazillion employees and various levels of unnecessary middle management is a fucking pain and makes communication and problem solving a very long and drawn out process. Does anybody at Ubisoft with the keys to the Steam partners account knows what's going on? I doubt it.

Looking at it the underlying issue is that while the game was patched yesterday and Dead Kings has had a depot uploaded for at least the last 8 days next to no sub is entitled to it.

[url]https://steamdb.info/depot/324333/subs/[/url]

There's only 5 subs listed unlike the main Unity, WW and RU/CIS depots which have 24, 16 and 10 subs respectively which none of the store subs have Dead Kings entitlement.

[url]https://steamdb.info/depot/289651/subs/[/url]
[url]https://steamdb.info/depot/289652/subs/[/url]
[url]https://steamdb.info/depot/289653/subs/[/url]

Might be the reason why I'm still showing as the current build in the client is ID 473256 where as the latest update pushed was build ID 473295. So maybe they meant to put up a free DLC item in the store but that's not been done either. Who knows what's really going on.

Miguel81

Welcome back, zky! Hope everything is going well for you.

(Sonic)Colors and Generations are very good games, and the former looks/performs great on Dolphin. Unleashed also gets some love for the Sonic sections(missed out on that one). Part 4 was disappointing and forgettable, but I had more fun with those two episodes than my playthrough of Sonic CD.

I see I won a Squirreltopia copy. I'll give that one a go now, after just having fully completed Resi 4 last night. Thanks, Phawx!

JaseC

I was looking forward to buying a 970 today so I could finally sink my teeth into Unity, but apparently the payroll office has, for the past few weeks, been taxing my pay as though I haven't provided my tax info, so I've essentially lost* $735.

* I'll get it back come tax time, but being 5.5 months away that doesn't really help me in the here and now.

Looking at it the underlying issue is that while the game was patched yesterday and Dead Kings has had a depot uploaded for at least the last 8 days next to no sub is entitled to it.

https://steamdb.info/depot/324333/subs/

There's only 5 subs listed unlike the main Unity, WW and RU/CIS depots which have 24, 16 and 10 subs respectively which none of the store subs have Dead Kings entitlement.

https://steamdb.info/depot/289651/subs/
https://steamdb.info/depot/289652/subs/
https://steamdb.info/depot/289653/subs/

Might be the reason why I'm still showing as the current build in the client is ID 473256 where as the latest update pushed was build ID 473295. So maybe they meant to put up a free DLC item in the store but that's not been done either. Who knows what's really going on.

This is such a ridiculous oversight that I didn't think to check it.

JaseC

Jase, I know you love AC series, but if you want upgrade your GPU ONLY for that game, to me is just a waste of money. Probably Nvidia will release new 970 models soon, I would wait for them. Because even with a 970 the game seems run very bad, is improved from the launch, yes, but there are a lot of issues unpatched, at least reading comments in and there.

There's also The Witcher 3 and AssCreed Victory! I assume 2GB VRAM will be fine for Rogue.

Does anyone ever encounter the "Busy writing to disk" message? I will be downloading at full speed then that message pops up and throttles the connection speed.

I realize what the message is telling me but should it really be happening on an SSD? My connection speed is nowhere close to saturating the write speed of the drive.

dex3108

Well if they implement Funny Reviews category than we should have Game Review and Technical Review categories too :D Sometimes game is technical mess but it is good game and often we can see one sentence reviews as first review.

Dr Dogg

This is such a ridiculous oversight that I didn't think to check it.

After someone at Ubi inadvertently removed all their latest games from Steam for a couple of days (causing lots of comedy hysteria about them pulling an EA) I'm really not that surprised anymore.

JaseC

After someone at Ubi inadvertently removed all their latest games from Steam for a couple of days (causing lots of comedy hysteria about them pulling an EA) I'm really not that surprised anymore.

The knee-jerk "I told you so!" responses were amusing, doubly so in hindsight. The games weren't even gone a day.

titch

George/Super Bunnyhop is my favorite gaming youtuber. Glad to see his videos shared here. Haven't seen this one yet though.

I've already subbed a few youtubers(inc phanx) since I started following this thread consistently - now subbed this one enjoyed the piece posted, nice rec!!

What? so now there's positive and funny? no negative reviews? looooooooooool

Edit is this legit I cant see the tweet from work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom