• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to PC gaming. Have $100 in Amazon GC which I wanted to use for Steam GC. I've done this in the past except converted it to PSN GC. Anyways, apparently there is no option to do this on Amazon except for paying $60 for a $50 Steam GC? Or buy GameStop GC and convert there, except you can't buy GameStop GC with Amazon GC credit. So stupid.

Think I'm going to buy $100 worth of Steam GC for $120, but common sense is telling me no.

New to PC gaming. Have $100 in Amazon GC which I wanted to use for Steam GC. I've done this in the past except converted it to PSN GC. Anyways, apparently there is no option to do this on Amazon except for paying $60 for a $50 Steam GC? Or buy GameStop GC and convert there, except you can't buy GameStop GC with Amazon GC credit. So stupid.

Think I'm going to buy $100 worth of Steam GC for $120, but common sense is telling me no.

Someone in the B/S/T thread might help you out with a direct exchange.

Lomax

Cat goes fishing gives me "catch X cowfish" quests way too often.
OVERFISHING IS BAD MKAY

I got stuck pretty early on with a "Catch 3 Bulbfish" quest that stonewalled me for ages until I was able to catch the hat that gave an extra quest. And legendary hats are very random and very rare, I was about to give up on getting 100% when I finally got one.

A lot of things about that game piss me off, not being able to turn off the music is the biggest as they have one 3 minute song looping

Press the "M" key. You're welcome. :)

Personally I'd just hang on to it rather than trade at a loss, Amazon price matches most of Steam's major sales.

madjoki

An option would be to buy games from Amazon as steam keys. Amazon usually matches deals from Steam. (But not every game is available there).

Barbarian

Amazon sells a lot of PC games that are redeemable on Steam. In other words, you buy the game on Amazon and they email you a code that you type into Steam, and your game appears in your library. Since Amazon discounts games frequently, I would just keep the Amazon credit if I were you, rather than convert to Steam credit at such a bad exchange rate.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

That is a bad idea. Amazon directly sells game keys that activate on Steam. As long as you aren't only interested in niche indie titles, you don't need to purchase a Steam GC.

Tizoc

Is the game good? I do love the Telltale storytelling games, so I guess it should be for me?

Indeed it would, it's an adventure game with more freedom for exploration and interaction. It's a great take a break game and like Telltale's games a good 'get together' game to play for others to watch you play.

-MD-

I'm pretty sure Jaw is my age but his casualness is progressing at an alarming rate.

I'm worried about you, bud.

Tizoc

I don't think I disabled anything, everything was at the highest setting except for AA which I left at 4 instead of going for 8.

Hmm I tried setting AA to x4 but that still gave me the same FPS drop, so MAYBE it's bloom, motion blur and AO...

Turfster

GMG has Valkyria Chronicles 50% off

MacGameStore is having a super sale, not everything is Steam(play) though.
Bioshock Infinite (including DLC and season pass) and Might & Magic X 75% off are the highlights.

Lain

That's interesting. That was about the only positive I got from the game, that for me it was at least smooth. xD

I was expecting something smooth since the game didn't look all that demanding graphic wise instead I got some pretty weird performance.
I just tried it again and, apart from no weird freezes during the opening naval battle I was getting low fps as soon as I left the ship (26 at most walking around).
I tried to put each setting off or at the minimum possible to see if one of the settings would do the trick to let me get a smooth experience... I ended up with everything off/minimum and the game looking like this:
JQmb.png
but my fps only going up to 46. Feels really weird and annoying.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just enjoy my linear experiences far too much. Unhealthy so I guess.

The game isn't open-world or anything, it's still linear. It just doesn't force-feed you dramatic choice every 3 minutes or so like Telltale does and it's not just a stream of cutscenes with 5 seconds of button mashing in between.

Hmm I tried setting AA to x4 but that still gave me the same FPS drop, so MAYBE it's bloom, motion blur and AO...

What kind of PC do you have? Why not try turning AA off completely. Vague performance complaints help no one.

Maybe i'm just on that stage of being too excited, like right after watching a movie, where you cant really critique it fairly, but i absolutely loved Life is Strange. It just felt so unique to me, thematically, at least in the world of gaming. And the fact that it's so mundane,
besides the rewind ability
, is actually a plus for me. The only bad thing i can think about it is the lipsync, that is dreadful, although i totally forgot about it 1 hour in.

Telltale suck, they don't add multilanguage to their games and don't bother fixing any bugs.
Doesnt the first ep of WD season 1 still have really bad compressed audio?

Lain

Well, Vampyr is a long way off still.
We hardly know anything about it.

The name is enough to have me excited. Same name as a manga series I love which threat the vampire background in a different way compared to the usual vampire works. It's a flimsy reason to be excited but I want to believe in dontnod.

Doesnt the first ep of WD season 1 still have really bad compressed audio?

Not to mention saves can still break because it places savedata in one directory, then the next episode looks for it in another. You have to manually move your savedata from one directory to another between episodes for it to actually work. At least that was the case for me.

Deitus

Gat out of Hell was shit though. I liked the flying, but the rest so super phoned in. The city was clearly made up of assets from the previous games that had been slightly modified to fit the theme, there weren't any real missions, most of the sidequests felt like really tired repeats, the new sidequests weren't fun at all, the final boss sucked, and the story has officially jumped the shark and become annoying/painful. I miss SR3's campaign's level of zaniness. It felt perfect.

Oh yeah, 100%ing it doesn't even take close to 20 hours so if you want all the achievements you will have to let the game just sit there until your save hits 20 hours played.

I'll never 100% any of the Saints Row games, since I have no interest in spending hours grinding out the co-op achievements. That and Saints Row IV's shitty "drive a million miles in a vehicle in a game where there is never a reason to get in a vehicle" challenge. I'm also not going to bother to idle Gat out of Hell to get the 20 hour achievement (I did everything else there is to do in just under 15 hours) since I wouldn't be able to get 100% of the achievements anyway.

And yeah, I hope the next game is more along the lines of SR3. I enjoyed the powers in the last two games, but they really half assed it, and the powers really trivialized most of the world. Make a new game, with a new engine, in a new city, and design it in a way that makes actually exploring the city meaningful. Save the powers for side content and/or DLC.

Tizoc

The game isn't open-world or anything, it's still linear. It just doesn't force-feed you dramatic choice every 3 minutes or so like Telltale does and it's not just a stream of cutscenes with 5 seconds of button mashing in between.

What kind of PC do you have? Why not try turning AA off completely. Vague performance complaints help no one.

I use a laptop, among the first things I did in the game was set the AA options from high to lowest but I kept getting the FPS middling between 40-50 FPS whenever there are other characters on screen, if it is only Max that's in an area the FPS remains a constant 60 FPS.
This is my specs btw
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor
DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM, up to 32 G

Lomax

Durante really needs to start a consulting business. Every company doing ports should pay him to work on it for the last week and fix their issues.

Turfster

Yeah, but the game is not multi anyway. And there's SE behind them, so I really don't know why.

It's got English and French!
Also, it's not because a publisher is huge that they want to pump the same amount of money into every game.
It's not like it's a Final Fantasy, after all =p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I use a laptop, among the first things I did in the game was set the AA options from high to lowest but I kept getting the FPS middling between 40-50 FPS whenever there are other characters on screen, if it is only Max that's in an area the FPS remains a constant 60 FPS.
This is my specs btw

With MSAA off that desktop should be running 60 fps fine even with characters on screen. Are your drivers up to date? Does setting everything to low lock it 60 (since that's easy to test).

Sini

This is my specs btw
Since you are using laptop the game might be running off the integrated Intel GPU. Check Nvidia control panel.

Deques

Well, yeah, in fact I told a reasonable price. I don't know how translators work, but 2000 seems good to me for one month of work. But as Turfster said, there are a lot of things to redraw.

2000€ for a month seems to be too little, especially if there are more than one translator. And I don't think a month would be enough to translate a game. I might be wrong since I don't know how a translator works

I checked how much a translator earns in Sweden and it's around €3200 per month. That sum of money is what they would get from their employer

Tizoc

With MSAA off that desktop should be running 60 fps fine even with characters on screen. Are your drivers up to date? Does setting everything to low lock it 60 (since that's easy to test).

OK will try it out then, thanks, although I do dislike turning off AA for the most part :p
My drivers are up to date actually, if it is a GPU thing, what can I do to have it improved?

3 videos for grim fandango remastered explaining how they mostly did nothing? amazing :)

I had no idea you could run the OG game on a system higher than Windows 2000 :V

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
3 videos for grim fandango remastered explaining how they mostly did nothing? amazing :)

It's an hour long montage of Double Fine employees shrugging sheepishly. Then you have the extended dance remix versions as a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom