• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Well, to be fair, people said Square Enix were crazy when they started doing Android/iOS releases at $20, saying that people would never spend that kind of money on a "phone game". Who knows, but it certainly seems strange that they would price it higher than even their newest Final Fantasy game on Steam.

wasn't FF4 more expensive than FF13?

I surely hope that SE don't plan to sell FF9 without any improvements and iOS port to boot for that price. That can't end well, I know that their games are rather expensive on iOS and still sell just fine, but I hope they'll stick to those prices for steam too.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
On the topic of engagement and the discovery queue, Valve needs to spend a lot of time and effort into refining the process by which the system analyses taste. Initially, I suspected they would have already done so and were using this sale as a way to further get into the heads of each customer, but I saw maybe two games of interest to me in all of the queues I tore through. The rest were simply being tossed to me because other people were buying or looking at them. The current system could give users choices in genres they weren't thinking about, introducing them to new styles of games to broaden their horizons, but it won't work nearly as well until you know what the individual user likes. After that, then you can start connecting the dots and throwing them something new.

With all of the metrics Valve takes during every experiment, I feel like this would be a no-brainer for such a system. I lost count of the number of really low quality island survival games it asked me to look at. The discovery queue hardly knew me at all. That's going to be big moving forward in a flash/dailies-less direction.

Jawmuncher

Square iOS vs PC prices.

Final Fantasy III - Steam 15.99 iOS 14.99
Final Fantasy IV - Steam 15.99 iOS 15.99
Final Fantasy IV: TAY - Steam 15.99 iOS 15.99
Final Fantasy V - Steam 15.99 iOS 15.99
Final Fantasy VI - Steam 15.99 iOS 15.99
Final Fantasy VII - Steam 11.99 iOS 15.99

Dunno why FF3 is a dollar cheaper on iOS, but the FF7 release on steam came well before iOS so it's obvious why that one is cheaper. Regardless with all of this, I don't think they would be that crazy. They didn't even try to pull that with their other bigger games.

Yo DA:I is hot garbage, its one of the few games where I'd pick Final Fantasy 13 over it. There is nothing redeemable about it besides its pretty graphics but I'm not spending money on games to look at their graphics, I'm playing them to have fun which DA:I isn't. DA2 while very flawed is a fun game, I played all 3 of these games back to back and as far as I'm concerned DA:O + DLC>>> DA2 (> * ∞)DA:I. DA:I is a perfect example of a game that has absolute no respect for the player's time whatsoever.

You know, if DA2 and DAI had a Mabari Warhound companion my opinion of them would be massively improved.

It's definitely a top ten GOAT companion.
Holy shit.
Pawned.

FLD

Lol, I really hope that price is wrong but I can kinda see it. Square-Enix is the kind of company that keeps screwing up in the most baffling ways. I can actually see them trying to swing that kinda price.

Maniac

Banned
DA2 is totes hot garbage, but god damn if the asset design isn't incredible. The armours, weapons and some of the more important scenes have some of the best damn visual design I've experienced.

Never felt as badass playing a mage as I did in that game, even if I ended up more or less hating the game halfway through.

Also hi, ya bastards.

Ludens

Banned
Lol at 40$ price tag. If so, SE can take the game, I'll buy it for 10€ in ten years. No way this should cost four times the price of the original on PSN. Even Type 0 was 25€ on release.
Edit: Here the game is 25€, still too much but at least it's not 40€.

DA2 is totes hot garbage, but god damn if the asset design isn't incredible. The armours, weapons and some of the more important scenes have some of the best damn visual design I've experienced.

Never felt as badass playing a mage as I did in that game, even if I ended up more or less hating the game halfway through.

Also hi, ya bastards.
da2ot-06.jpg

EviLore's DA2 |OT| covers all the bases.

Arthea

If that 39.99 price is true, there's more of a chance of that being the price across all platforms rather than just for PC.

Is there even one iOS game with a price like this? a honest question, I don't do mobile gaming, I wouldn't know. I just have read on gaf that SE games are expensive on iOS and they are nowhere near $40

Maniac

Banned
whatever happened with volvo @ CES?

They're having some kind of content-showcase like... In a few days, iirc? At CES they just had a booth with HTC and some partner booths and stuff (Alienware and some other Steammachine partners had Vive stuff)

Jawmuncher

Is there even one iOS game with a price like this? honest question, I don't do mobile gaming, I wouldn't know. I just have read on gaf that SE games are expensive on iOS and they are nowhere near $40

I think there's some GPD apps or there were that cost 99.99, don't think there has been any games. Aside from joke stuff like "Give me 100 dollars" and such.

Teggy

Dear Steam,

Please make a combo Steam controller/Steam Link with a Vita sized screen attached. I would try so much more of my library if such a thing existed.

Sincerely,
Teggy

Knurek

I don't really get what's wrong with having a company that makes story heavy games with lackluster gameplay.
I mean, honestly, are some of you personally offended other people like Bioware games? Live and let live, nobody's forcing you to play their games. :)

I know I said I want to take this year to finish some longer games, but still, less than two weeks into the year and I have already finished 3 games. With #4 very close to being finished (just 11 puzzles to go in Super Mario Picross).

Morrigan was the best thing from the DA franchise.

Morrigan was so good in DAO that Bioware retroactively ruined her by trying to mimic her personality with that pirate lady in DA2 and my dear Vivienne from DAI.

Kinda like Wrex in Mass Effect 1, except he never got ruined somehow.

Grief.exe

I don't really get what's wrong with having a company that makes story heavy games with lackluster gameplay.
I mean, honestly, are some of you personally offended other people like Bioware games? Live and let live, nobody's forcing you to play their games. :)

I know I said I want to take this year to finish some longer games, but still, less than two weeks into the year and I have already finished 3 games. With #4 very close to being finished (just 11 puzzles to go in Super Mario Picross).

But then you would have to form an argument based around Biowares writing ability... You'd be better off keeping the status quo to be honest.

Maniac

Banned

I'd mostly point to Obsidian for lackluster gameplay with a heavy story focus. Sure, Bioware tries, but their storytelling is as wank as their gameplay. Or well, it's significantly worse than their gameplay nowadays. It's all downhill from here.
But then you would have to form an argument based around Biowares writing ability... You'd be better off keeping the status quo to be honest.

I'm not saying my cousin wrote better fanfic when she was around 15.

But she really fucking did.

Knurek

You will just have to live with the fact that current Bioware writes with deviantart/livejournal/tumblr users in mind.
Seems to be working out fine for them, EA overlords still haven't dismantled them.

Arthea

I think there's some GPD apps or there were that cost 99.99, don't think there has been any games. Aside from joke stuff like "Give me 100 dollars" and such.

This thought just occurred to me... what if SE isn't giving us an iOS port but will do a proper good PC port. That would explain the price, wouldn't it?

yeah, I know, absolutely ridiculous

KingKong

I dont think theres anything 'wrong' with those games, its just frustrating that they get so much more media attention because its easier to talk about story and characters than it is gameplay mechanics

pahamrick

This just reminds me that I'd really like to see a spin-off set in the universe of Mass Effect done by Obsidian.

Now I kinda want to play Mass Effect 1. On Origin.

Y'all are monsters.

At least the origin version comes with both DLC, despite one being completely worthless.

Jawmuncher

This thought just occurred to me... what if SE isn't giving us an iOS port but will do a proper good PC port. That would explain the price, wouldn't it?

yeah, I know, absolutely ridiculous

I think it'll go both ways, I do see the PC version being the lead. So I don't think it'll look as bad as the earlier iOS FF ports to PC. Still doubt they would even think about that price though.

Now I kinda want to play Mass Effect 1. On Origin.

Y'all are monsters.

No. Just no. Resist the temptation.

And yes, Pinnacle Station is worthless. Tried to start it up, and the framerate dropped to single digits as soon as I hit the first cutscene.

What I got from Valves winter sale recap: more revenue, worse average high discount.

I'm surprised it took them this long to figure that out.

Maniac

Banned
Speaking of writers: I'm gonna miss Marc. He's a great guy, really. I got bummed out when he deleted his Twitter account so he wouldn't get distracted from productivity by it... And now he wont be productive giving me muh HL :'[

Seriously though, he's a lovely bloke. Have had some lovely email correspondences with him. He also got me a free Nature's Prophet plushy and like 50% off of a huge-arse Valve-store order a year or two back.

Arthea

There is nothing wrong with that, people like different things and all that, but what in fact is happening, those games are so successful that devs / publishers think that's all people want and need, and that influences what kind of games get released, meaning it shifts gaming industry towards lackluster gameplay bit by bit, all high budget gaming more or less is already there and that is the problem.

pahamrick

I think more people should replay it now. It's held in a very high regard due to nostalgia, i'm sure of it.

I'll admit, I replayed it very recently. The overall story I still love (You just can't beat that final stretch of the game, it still amps me up despite how many times I've completed it.) but I'm really over how the planet exploring was done.

And the inventory management was always shit.

This just reminds me that I'd really like to see a spin-off set in the universe of Mass Effect done by Obsidian.

At least the origin version comes with both DLC, despite one being completely worthless.

Lmao, I've played through ME1 like two or three times and I don't remember Pinnacle Station at all. All this time I've thought that (horrible) Bring Down the Sky DLC was the only DLC.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Oxenfree devs collaborate with Robert Kirkman, to launch web series and film based on game

Oxenfree is a stylish 2.5D narrative-led adventure game from ex-Telltale and Disney developers about a group of teenagers who happen upon the supernatural while partying on a deserted island. If you haven’t heard of it before, it’s out this week and looks gorgeous. If you have, you might be interested to know a film and web docuseries are en route too.

The extra goodies come courtesy of a collaboration between developers Night School and Robert Kirkman’s - he of The Walking Dead fame - Skybound Entertainment that was announced today. Friday marks Oxenfree’s release, you see, thus Skybound will host an all-day livestream that kicks off at 11am PST. The Story of Oxenfree - a making of-type web series - starts today on Skybound’s YouTube channel, the first of which features below. There’s also plans to expand the game into a film.

Although the premise may sound a touch on the cheesy, teen horror flick side, Oxenfree will have no dedicated cutscenes and operates a nifty Telltale-inspired chat interface. What’s more, engaging in conversation at all, apparently, is optional, thus it sounds unlike most games that fit this genre.

“We had a pretty specific idea that we wanted to create or deliver and it was really this concept of: how can players interact with stories in ways that other studios aren’t letting them do it?” says Night School co-founder Sean Krankel of how development on Oxenfree started out. “That was the beginning of Night School.” Here’s Krankel and Night School partner Adam Hines discussing how Oxenfree came to be:

Of the collaboration, Kirkman himself said: "As soon as we got our hands on Oxenfree and experienced this unique narrative driven game we knew that the IP had huge potential and that the Skybound team needed to be a part of it.

"Creating multiplatform entertainment in the thriller genre is in our wheelhouse, and it's great to partner with the passionate developers at Night School to delve deeper into the Oxenfree realm."

Oxenfree is out this Friday, January 15.

I think more people should replay it now. It's held in a very high regard due to nostalgia, i'm sure of it.

I'm talking about playing it on Origin. Get the Steam version instead. Neither of the DLCs really add anything significant to the game.

Bring Down the Sky is a half-hour of driving around a moon looking for corpses and fighting through the same base twice before a lackluster final confrontation.

Jawmuncher

I'll admit, I replayed it very recently. The overall story I still love (You just can't beat that final stretch of the game, it still amps me up despite how many times I've completed it.) but I'm really over how the planet exploring was done.

And the inventory management was always shit.

Yeah it's still a good game overall, but some people hold certain mechanics in a very high regard for what they are.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah it's still a good game overall, but some people hold certain mechanics in a very high regard for what they are.

There was a lot to like in ME1, but the problem wasn't the structure, it was just the content. All their mechanics were fine, but in need of refinement. They really didn't need to do the Bioware pivot in order to make ME2 good.

Terra_Ex

Morrigan was the best thing from the DA franchise.
You know it.

Just adding my 2 cents - DA2 was awful and I don't even know what happened with DAI and why they felt the need to craft those sprawling areas filled with well... nothing of note. I think I could have shaved 60hrs off my playthrough and been a lot happier for it had they not gated content behind the busywork. Playing through Witcher 3 was revelatory in demonstrating that you can have a huge AAA RPG that respects the player's time and is packed to the brim with quality content. Sadly in the AAA space, only CDPR seems capable of delivering this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Final Fantasy IX is a pretty tough sell at $39.99. Hell, in 2000 I remember that Walmart sold the game new for $39.99 when it launched.

$29.99 (-GMG launch discount/coupon) is usually my upper limit of Final Fantasy port Day 1 purchases on Steam. $40 is an instant "wait until it's discounted".

Arthea

Final Fantasy IX is a pretty tough sell at $39.99. Hell, in 2000 I remember that Walmart sold the game new for $39.99 when it launched.

yeah, it has to be mistake, I just remembered that FFX, X-2 remasters had a price like this at launch, no way they gonna charge it for a port of one game.

Copons

But you didn't have to check 3 times a day to see if the game you want is on sale, because the game you want is on sale. You checked 3 times a day to see if the games on sale that you want gets a better discount for 8-48 hours.
With the new model, you get the same baseline discount you were getting before, just not the chance of a special discount on top of that. How is that better? Less stressful sure, more remunerative for publishers/developers absolutely, but better for players/consumers? I just don't get it.

IIRC there was some kind of chart (from SteamSpy maybe?) noting that the average discount was higher than last Summer.
So the point would be: no awesome prices for a short time, but good ones for the entire sale.

On the topic of engagement and the discovery queue, Valve needs to spend a lot of time and effort into refining the process by which the system analyses taste. Initially, I suspected they would have already done so and were using this sale as a way to further get into the heads of each customer, but I saw maybe two games of interest to me in all of the queues I tore through. The rest were simply being tossed to me because other people were buying or looking at them. The current system could give users choices in genres they weren't thinking about, introducing them to new styles of games to broaden their horizons, but it won't work nearly as well until you know what the individual user likes. After that, then you can start connecting the dots and throwing them something new.

With all of the metrics Valve takes during every experiment, I feel like this would be a no-brainer for such a system. I lost count of the number of really low quality island survival games it asked me to look at. The discovery queue hardly knew me at all. That's going to be big moving forward in a flash/dailies-less direction.

I'm no expert of how these things work, but I think for us (as in: hardcore customers) it just can't work as you'd like.

I mean, at a super quick glance on your profile, you have almost a thousand games, showcasing, for example, L4D2, Dear Esther and Monaco.
My guess would be that you own games from a great variety of genres, and even narrowing down to your top played (multiplayer fps), my guess is that you already own any game you'd like.

This considered, what is the queue supposed to do?
Inevitably it throws to you random games that are popular, or even saying candidly "just to see if you like it".

My guess is that the queue COULD (as in: I don't know) be of some use for "entry level" Steam users.
But when you have an account full of hundreds or thousands of games, half of them probably bundle trash that you don't even like but you OWN them (and maybe you also have plenty of hours of playtime for idling!), it's just impossible for the queue to come up with proper recommendations.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
With inflation in mind, we're getting quite a deal.

Well $39.99 in 2000 = about $56 in 2016. So yeah, I guess if you waited until now to play it, it's almost like saving $16 over 16 years. But it's still $40. ;)

MUnited83

For you.
IIRC there was some kind of chart (from SteamSpy maybe?) noting that the average discount was higher than last Summer.
So the point would be: no awesome prices for a short time, but good ones for the entire sale.

The other way around. Average discount was worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom