• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metal Gear Rising: 533k
Korra: 184k

Looks like Korra's mediocrity poisoned the well.

Yeah... no.

More like a strange genre for the chosen IP -- I don't know a lot of Transformers fans who said "I need a new game for $50 that's kinda short and plays like MGR:R or Bayonetta".

Hell, I *love* Platinum action games and I wouldn't go near it until it was under $17. And I didn't even play Korra yet.

Well it being a shirt yet replayable game with a $50 price tag didnt help :p
I liked it enough to be one of my gott contrnders tho and if anything it likely sold a combined of 100,000 units across all systems at best by now

Finally, a voice of reason.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's just that, I think 16k is still too low for a game with Transformer and Platinum Game names. I thought both are pretty well-known entities on the Western market.

How did it sell on consoles? The full price was way too high for me to bite, I'm waiting for the $10-15 range to grab it.

Jawmuncher

If activision isn't greedy, I see Transformers doing good once it starts hitting 20 regularly during sales. Korra got a good push when it started hitting 3.75 and 5 bucks.

iosefe

OH GOD NO

i just booted up my Long war file again...

Newfoundland. this is where Turf gave the ultimate sacrifice in a past life

So, i'm guessing worst case scenario on those ROTR keys, is that most will be able to finish the game, and in a couple of months, it will be removed from their library? mostly curious here.

OH GOD NO

i just booted up my Long war file again...

Newfoundland. this is where Turf gave the ultimate sacrifice in a past life

It's so terrible in vanilla XCOM... I can't imagine how it is in Long War.

I shudder to think what the XCOM 2 equivalent will be. Probably some crazy thing like a soldier being an infiltrator all along, just waiting to betray you at a key moment.

Soooooo, ArmA3 just ended.. I think, or maybe not? I have no clue really. The third and last act was so darn short compared to the other two, it's actually not possible. It also felt very different. Not only in terms of new options (drones etc.) but the first two acts had that flow of, go to base>get briefed>go to mission>return to base rinse&repeat. Which is totally absent int he last act. Well, to be fair, the Briefings were one of the laziest "cutscenes" I've ever witnessed. Characters in general were one dimensional and forgettable, so I'm not complaining. What mattered where the missions. Cutscenes and story were merely an excuse to experience new scenarios.
But, the third act suddenly put more emphasis on the story and it got very interesting........ and then
it ended abruptly on a freaking cliffhanger. W T F.
The campaign has only three acts, so why stop when the story just picked up? Why when your third act is the shortest already?
Even weirder, the campaign didn't end? Sort of. It's weird. I haven't understood what part I am in now atm. There is no main objective, only two explicitly as "optional" marked places to visit. I can't save anymore and when I die, it says "The End". I'm a bit baffled at what's happening to be honest. Is this some king of endless end game mode the campaign traversed into? It's too late so I had to stop after my the-end death but I'm interested to go back at it tomorrow to see what's up. An endgame like this could work nicely, if there are tasks like destroying enemy camps without any limits on the arsenal of tactics and support ala Far Cry 3.
1CxaB7p.png
LHrYfwV.png
I wrote so much already about ArmA3, I feel the sum of it all is a fair review. So I'll just restrain myself here to a heartily recommendation. It's a very unique, deep and enjoyable game. Probably more sim-like than 90% of games but still a game and not like DCS. It's fun and easier to get into than I imagined before. When a casual guy like me can get to gripes with the majority of mechanics and tactics, then anyone ought to do. Don't let the "hardcore simulation" image deter you. It's a fun game. And beautiful even if more inconsistent in performance than many other open-world games.

adiNe6S.png

Even though it has a meaty campaign, I still have plenty of single-player content left to throw myself at in the showcases. Let alone the practically endless multiplayer portion and community made scenarios at the workshop. So no setting free of the ArmA spell yet ;)

But I might leave ArmA3 on the backburner and jump to playing more conservatively scoped games. There are a lot of interesting, short indies I always wanted to play.
---
Had to get some impressions on my experience out. Now you all can talk about the hot new goodness Witness, TMNT and DD again, haha.

So, i'm guessing worst case scenario on those ROTR keys, is that most will be able to finish the game, and in a couple of months, it will be removed from their library? mostly curious here.

If the key works and you redeem it, odds are nothing bad will happen.
Most of the problems seemed to occur with the actual nvidia codes being invalid and not redeeming at all.

FWIW, I bought one off eBay for $25 since it was obvious that it was the only way I'd not be left waiting and it's still in my library several weeks later and fully pre-loaded.

mp1990

Banned
Played a few hours of Oxenfree today, and this game is really, really cool. It really reminds me of Life Is Strange, but without the occasional awkward dialogues (seriously, i was surprised of how well written this game is, been awhile since i got so invested in a game cast storyline), and with some Lovecraftian touches here and there. It's not really scary, with exception of some really fucked up more thrown here and there, it's more like... mystifying. The plot gripped me in such a way i never thought it would be possible, can't wait to see how this gonna end.

On a side note, I'm really glad to have come to terms with PC gaming, and ain't biased against the platform anymore. It's incredible the amount of stuff I've been missing for so long, especially more experimental games that work with more than just the gameplay. tl;dr steam is cool yeah

If the key works and you redeem it, odds are nothing bad will happen.
Most of the problems seemed to occur with the actual nvidia codes being invalid and not redeeming at all.

FWIW, I bought one off eBay for $25 since it was obvious that it was the only way I'd not be left waiting and it's still in my library several weeks later and fully pre-loaded.
oh, i see. it's still in my library, and pre-loaded just fine too. was more curious if something similar happened in the past, with nvidia/AMD removing games from your library.
But thanks for the answer :)

zkylon

zkylewd
And yet the only RP I have is the anniversary one they gave and that time LoL was down for 3 days RP excuse.
i had like 30k ip too yesterday but i spent it on dumb runes cos i was bored :p

i think last time i asked rito how much money i had spent on league i was at 150

$150 for 4ish years of delightful gaming is pretty decent value for me, specially since dem skins are so gooooooood

Yes yes excellent
i mean, i was always gonna buy it, was just a matter of waiting a week more or not

thankfully my mom's awesome

idk between being a league fan and using a mom's credit card to buy a game you seemed like a pretty solid lock for the teen demographic.
i wish :<

also do i need to remind you ppl how mature league is again?

for shame

oipic

Soooooo, ArmA3 just ended.. I think, or maybe not?

Nice, unexpectedly abbreviated 'ending' aside - have really enjoyed your series of Arma3 posts, Veggie - thanks! Has painted a great picture. My interest is definitely piqued, as I hadn't realised the singleplayer aspect was so meaty and varied. (just need a price cut and big sale now!)

I have the base Arma2 (and no Operation Arrowhead) - how is its campaign in comparison, for those that have tackled it? Has it held up OK?

oh, i see. it's still in my library, and pre-loaded just fine too. was more curious if something similar happened in the past, with nvidia/AMD removing games from your library.
But thanks for the answer :)

The only thing I can think of was a poll/inquiry about nVidia about the MGSV keys because of region trading type stuff... I'm not sure I've ever seen evidence of promotional keys that were mistakenly sold (and delivered) being revoked afterwards in a case such as the RotTR keys. (There was a case with Ubisoft and some keys purchased via stolen credit cards which were revoked and then restored, but I can't think of any case where it would be a worry that nVidia is going to revoke licenses to keys they granted several months from now.)

Volimar

The cool thing about XCOM 2 is that we can make our own character named after us and have them be in the character pool for friends' games.

I think.

Uzzy

But, the third act suddenly put more emphasis on the story and it got very interesting........ and then
it ended abruptly on a freaking cliffhanger. W T F.
The campaign has only three acts, so why stop when the story just picked up? Why when your third act is the shortest already?

Yup, it just ends. At this point
after you've handed the device over to Miller, the campaign is over. You've just got a choice between Kerry escaping the island and Kerry dying on the island.
I do like that you're just some poor bloody infantryman for the bulk of the campaign, and that yes, there is information above your paygrade that's held back from you, but in the end there are a ton of unanswered questions about the whole plot.

The only thing I can think of was a poll/inquiry about nVidia about the MGSV keys because of region trading type stuff... I'm not sure I've ever seen evidence of promotional keys that were mistakenly sold (and delivered) being revoked afterwards in a case such as the RotTR keys. (There was a case with Ubisoft and some keys purchased via stolen credit cards which were revoked and then restored, but I can't think of any case where it would be a worry that nVidia is going to revoke licenses to keys they granted several months from now.)
Yeah, i heard about the MGSV stuff. I remember the seller i got one from saying that nvidia was doing some inquiries.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The cool thing about XCOM 2 is that we can make our own character named after us and have them be in the character pool for friends' games.

I think.
Yeah I think that is how it works, well I'll have to look it up as I'm writing about xcom 2 for the next month lol

accel

Soooooo, ArmA3 ...

Even though it has a meaty campaign, I still have plenty of single-player content left to throw myself at in the showcases.

Thanks for this, just in time (reasonable amounts of single-player content is the deciding factor for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom