• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You're also an Actraiser fan? 💕

Easily one of the best SNES games. I remember watching people play it on Nick Arcade back when that was a thing and I remember thinking "If that were me, I could do it sooo much better."

I even played through it last year as one of my games in the 52 game challenge.

Jawmuncher

to be fair it has a platinum

i'm sure theres some mandated amount for platinums, else he'd just put "Start the game" is a platinum and no other trophies.

I find it amusing that sony stole achievements and made them so much better.

Seriously, platinum incentive is strong :x

Dunno about better, they're about on par. Though if you ask me MS has the upper hand since all games can have 1000G which is more or less every game having a platinum trophy. Dunno why sony is still holding onto the notion that only certain games deserve it. Games are Games.

fUdzF7G.png

And I'm done with the Fixed-Wings Showcase. Pretty crazy that such a deep and unique mechanic of the whole game was
absent in the campaign.
It's a different feel compared to the on-foot parts. Aiming is difficult, a couple millimeters make the difference between direct hit and dozens of meters away. So you can see using a keyboard was tricky. A good flight-stick would do these parts justice and more fun. Ever since Star Citizen and Elite, getting one makes more and more sense, hm.

This was my first ever attempt at landing (WebM). So color me surprised that amidst all correct landing route adjustment, gears & flaps enabling and speed throttling, it didn't end in a screeching fireball at the end of the runway.

Anyhow, I did all optional tasks as well, landing mid-mission for resupplying, wiping out foot soldiers and aerial take-down of a chopper. There are several ammunition types which behave different. Some have much shorter range, others different destructive force. I probably made it tougher on me by mistake since I couldn't manage to lock on certain missiles to enemy vehicles. Would have saved me a couple reloads. Ammo count is important but I got indoctrinated by the many games where ammo is just a never ending loop of an eight.

What these things, the tricky plane controls and forced ammo conservatism leads to, is great satisfaction once all stars align and you get good hits at the enemy. To my surprise does the mighty Gatling Gun feel the best with its heavy metal roar and great ammo tracing.

Here some nice hits. First some rocket hits (WebM) and some Gatling Fun (WebM). And a second Gatling Party (WebM).

Eila

What the heck happened with RotTR? That thing runs on freaking Xbox 360. Shame the port is not as good as TR 2013.
Also, I just got booted from TF2 and it scared me very much, thinking I somehow got VAC banned or something. The error message said something about not being able to connect VAC servers.

Jawmuncher

What the heck happened with RotTR? That thing runs on freaking Xbox 360. Shame the port is not as good as TR 2013.

Well I mean that is the game maxed out at 1080p.
You could run the X1 and 360 comparable versions on lower hardware quite well more than likely.

Momentary

Banned
Man... Why is Bandai Namco always so damn tight lipped about whether or not their games are 30 or 60fps.

I'm really hoping that the new Naruto game isn't stuck on 30, but they won't ever respond to people who ask them about.

I think the last thing they said was "we're trying to target 60." Okay, but you don't have to "target" 60 on PC. I don't know if I can do another cinematic Naruto experience at full price. They would definitely get a sale from me right now if they would just blink twice for 60.

Well I mean that is the game maxed out at 1080p.
You could run the X1 and 360 comparable versions on lower hardware quite well more than likely.

If a game in 2016 can't run at maxed settings at 1080p@120FPS on a GTX760, then it's badly optimized. Get with the program.

Man... Why is Bandai Namco always so damn tight lipped about whether or not their games are 30 or 60fps.

I'm really hoping that the new Naruto game isn't stuck on 30, but they won't ever respond to people who ask them about.

I think the last thing they said was "we're trying to target 60." Okay, but you don't have to "target" 60 on PC. I don't know if I can do another cinematic Naruto experience at full price. They would definitely get a sale from me right now if they would just blink twice for 60.

Huh? Unless it's a new engine it will be 30 since the animation was tied to the framerate.

That would be nice if it is 60 though but, I hadn't heard anything like that.

Jawmuncher

Huh? Unless it's a new engine it will be 30 since the animation was tied to the framerate.

That would be nice if it is 60 though but, I hadn't heard anything like that.

Still even if it is still tied to the engine, why they don't just come out and say it is rather annoying. But I guess it's better than having a 60FPS brigade down you throat weeks before release. Since some take it way too far.

RotTR port is really something, actually.
The budget PC i3 + 750Ti combo can't hold up at all against Xbox1 settings, running at 13-25 fps.
First and foremost, the venerable DF budget PC with an i3 processor and GTX 750 Ti finally met its match with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Running with settings similar to Xbox One, we found that testing areas saw the game turn in frame-rates between 13 and 25fps

Jawmuncher

RotTR port is really something, actually.
The budget PC i3 + 750Ti combo can't hold up at all against Xbox1 settings, running at 13-25 fps.

Well never mind then. X1 kept 25-30 most of the time. Only recall very few dips lower.
Though i wouldn't be surprised if the i3 was the main cause.

MUnited83

For you.
Last time I heard that line, a couple of guys got Tales of Zestiria to run at 60 just fine.
No such thing on the Naruto games , and it wasn't for the lack of trying.

Although if the videos they have released so far are any indication, Storm 4 does support 60fps.

Momentary

Banned
Still even if it is still tied to the engine, why they don't just come out and say it is rather annoying. But I guess it's better than having a 60FPS brigade down you throat weeks before release. Since some take it way too far.

I just want to know, like you said.

The 60FPS thing was said during an interview which has since been taken down... Probably because the rep mentioned it. Bamco probably laid down the law on that dude.

No such thing on the Naruto games , and it wasn't for the lack of trying.

Although if the videos they have released so far are any indication, Storm 4 does support 60fps.

I'm going to end up buying it anyways. It'll just mean I can downsample it or something and make it prettier.

It just makes me ill to play fast paced action/fighting games at 30fps.

Jawmuncher

I just want to know, like you said.

The 60FPS thing was said during an interview which has since been taken down... Probably because the rep mentioned it. Bamco probably laid down the law on that dude.

I'm going to end up buying it anyways. It'll just mean I can downsample it or something and make it prettier.

It just makes me ill to play fast paced action/fighting games at 30fps.

Yeah I agree. Sucks not getting answer's to easy questions. We shouldn't have to pick and prod to get some basic info on how a game runs.

Haha. True.

Playstation, to my knowledge, no longer forces any arbitrary # of achievements. This would be why full retail titles are not required to have 51. (I think Bloodborne retail had something like 36 including platinum?)

Usually, if anything, the PC version ends up with extra achievements that the devs cut out because they hit the upper limit (I think 50 + platinum was the max without DLC content previously... and digital only were focused on being 12 for awhile, probably because that was the limit that xbox imposed with the 12/200 points rule).

Blow mentioned that there were certain requirements though (for his game at least), including a minimum number of trophies.

VOD of his stream (@ 12m43s)

Vlad

Made some good progress in Witness tonight. Feeling very clever :3

The best kind of puzzle game, really. There's always the sense of accomplishment when you solve a puzzle, but it takes something special to really make you feel proud of yourself when you finally get it. Braid, The Swapper, and of course anything by Zachtronics manage to really nail that feeling.

How would you say that the Witness compares in that aspect? I dare not venture into the OT for fear of spoilers.

You should let Blow know. He seems to think otherwise.

I'm not sure what the minimum is, but I'd guess Don't Starve would be the perfect example of the minimum. I remember when Velocity Ultra was coming out, Futurlab polled people on the trophy makeup they'd like to see (so while it isn't completely freeform, it seems developers have some wiggle room in terms of what they'd like to do with them).

I didn't realize he was trying to pull a Klei of sorts and that the Steam version only has 2 for whatever reason... so yeah, he might not be able to do that, since Don't Starve has 10 total.

When it comes to stuff Jonathan Blow says, it's always wise to take it with a bag of salt. Remember, this is the guy who says that 90% of PC games are pirated in 2016. This is also the guy who had no idea about preloading, launching early, or any of the other Steam aspects of publishing.

So yeah, looking into it, he's probably right in that Sony said "there's a lot of content here, you need more than 2 trophies" and he went with the minimum (or close to it).

Playstation still requires a minimum amount and unlike Xbox only games they deem worthy get a platinum.

I think they have to pass some requirement in terms of length or pricing to get a platinum. Those guidelines were probably never published though.

Can't we just enter BBI anytime? I don't think we have to finish the game first.
I'm planning to tackle it at level 60-70 or so.

Sure, you can. But if you're playing on hard, Bitterblack Isle will be on hard mode too, meaning that if wolves outside Cassardis can one shot you, all anything in Bitterblack will have to do is even glance in your direction and it will delete your save file.

My point being that if you're using hard mode to power level yourself with the 2x experience, you'll want to finish the hard mode playthrough so the game resets to normal difficulty before you tackle the content for Dark Arisen.

I brought some 2x XP items, and brought 2 people that were 25 levels lower than me (Gives you a BIG XP Boost). BOOM. I became the hulk.

Hmmmm, sounds interesting. Was there a specific area of the Isle that you found most conducive to power leveling?

You're also an Actraiser fan? ��

There are people who don't love the original Actraiser? There are a few spots where it's rough around the edges, but it's definitely one of the best games ever made for the SNES.

Teggy

The best kind of puzzle game, really. There's always the sense of accomplishment when you solve a puzzle, but it takes something special to really make you feel proud of yourself when you finally get it. Braid, The Swapper, and of course anything by Zachtronics manage to really nail that feeling.

How would you say that the Witness compares in that aspect? I dare not venture into the OT for fear of spoilers.

I don't know in comparison to those games. I didn't really care for Braid and haven't played any Zachtronics games. I like it because the puzzle concepts aren't spoon fed to you and exploring the island is part of how you learn those concepts.

Yup, just saw a bookmark way up to the left from Tomb Raider '13 on PCGamingWiki. Weird that there's no ini file but you need to (or can rather) edit via regedit. Either way, I did it while I read through. FOV changeable via CheatEngine? Never used that before. Installed.
Yup yup, I think I'll play Tomb Raider '13 tomorrow. Had tried it out for an hour or so and just got an arrow.

Sure, you can. But if you're playing on hard, Bitterblack Isle will be on hard mode too, meaning that if wolves outside Cassardis can one shot you, all anything in Bitterblack will have to do is even glance in your direction and it will delete your save file.

My point being that if you're using hard mode to power level yourself with the 2x experience, you'll want to finish the hard mode playthrough so the game resets to normal difficulty before you tackle the content for Dark Arisen.

Hard on NG+ is still a breeze though. I've played through the earlier parts of the game on NG+, just reached Gran Soren last night. The enemies can barely scratch me at level 50, I can kill the wolves in one hit. I don't even bring full party anymore, just my pawn and another one. I'm planning to tackle BBI on hard mode later, if possible.

Guys, there's several videos of the game already out on 60fps.

RotTR? That's interesting then.

MUnited83

For you.
Hard on NG+ is still a breeze though. I've played through the earlier parts of the game on NG+, just reached Gran Soren last night. The enemies can barely scratch me at level 50, I can kill the wolves in one hit. I don't even bring full party anymore, just my pawn and another one. I'm planning to tackle BBI on hard mode later, if possible.

Naruto :p

My character is level 150+ and has most of the best armor on.

Enemies still deliver a crapton of pain in Hard mode BBI. Getting whacked by a giant club does +/- 2000 damage.
Also, it seems that pawns aren't affected by Hard mode's damage-scaling. It's not a particularly well-thought-out difficulty.

EDIT: Can't connect to Steam for some reason.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4.

--

I found the poll that Futurlab did for Velocity Ultra trophies:

http://www.futurlab.co.uk/velocity-ultra-trophies-what-do-you-want.html

Velocity Ultra Trophies – What Do You Want?
by James @ FuturLab on January 16, 2013 in Game Design, PS Vita, Velocity Ultra
Hello!

We have a limited number of points we are able to use in our PSN Trophy set for Velocity Ultra.

Which means, we can either have more low value trophies (and more trophies overall), or a few high value trophies (and less trophies overall) or something in the middle. What do you want to see?

How you do want your trophies?

1 Gold, 1 Silver, 13 Bronze (15 total)
1 Gold, 3 Silver, 9 Bronze (13 total)
2 Gold, 2 Silver, 5 Bronze (9 total)
3 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze (5 total)

So it seems that they have a certain point total assigned to the game and that ends up giving them options for how to break things down.

Momentary

Banned
Hmmmm, sounds interesting. Was there a specific area of the Isle that you found most conducive to power leveling?

I ran through the beginning area all the way to the goreclopse. I never tried to kill the thing. Then I took the key from there, unlocked the next area and went there as well. I just kept doing my rounds. I think a day or so at an inn resets the trash mobs. You can use the tactic suggested by others and kill the huge cyclops, but make sure not to pop your double xp item until the end, because it's going to take a while and your buff will probably run out by then.

I'm sure people have better ways of doing it, but I level there at over level 160, but it did take some time. But I got crazy loot before starting a New Game+.

I've since deleted from my hard drive. I've got too many games to just get stuck on one.

I can't wait for naruto next month, I'm wondering if I should buy it on PC or PS4. Anyone know if its 30 or 60fps on ps4?

you're probably saying to yourself "but prinny, what about disgaea?" i beat that game like 3 times already (and its not a short game either I'll tell you hwhat) , you really think I'm gonna beat it again when i got a bunch of games I haven't even beaten once? I'm buying it for the prinnies, its YOU people that have to play it, not me.

I can't wait for naruto next month, I'm wondering if I should buy it on PC or PS4. Anyone know if its 30 or 60fps on ps4?

you're probably saying to yourself "but prinny, what about disgaea?" i beat that game like 3 times already (and its not a short game either I'll tell you hwhat) , you really think I'm gonna beat it again when i got a bunch of games I haven't even beaten once? I'm buying it for the prinnies, its YOU people that have to play it, not me.

How about Steam achievements?
You gotta 100% it, right? Right? :p

From my understanding they did say that it was tied to the engine, from Namco's mouth, reason I am saying it :v
Last time I heard that line, a couple of guys got Tales of Zestiria to run at 60 just fine.

I know but, I remember the last 2 Naruto games, every time they tried to crack the 30 FPS limit things just broke from my understanding.

Momentary

Banned
From my understanding they did say that it was tied to the engine, from Namco's mouth, reason I am saying it :v

I know but, I remember the last 2 Naruto games, every time they tried to crack the 30 FPS limit things just broke from my understanding.

Same thing happened with Zestiria, until 2 guys went elbows deep in the game. All the logic was tied to 30FPS and doubling the frame rate or lowering the frame rate just made the game speed up or run in slow motion, but those awesome dudes got it to work. They still update their patch. Hopefully the same team will be interested in doing it with this game.

But, it's probably a different engine and probably a HUMONGOUS undertaking for them.

MUnited83

For you.

The animation is definitely locked to the framerate in the Naruto games, and Storm 4 probably won't be any different, but in this case they would be doing the animation 60fps to begin with.

Same thing happened with Zestiria, until 2 guys went elbows deep in the game. All the logic was tied to 30FPS and doubling the frame rate or lowering the frame rate just made the game speed up or run in slow motion, but those awesome dudes going to to work. They still update their patch. Hopefully the same team will be interested in doing it with this game.
Once again , they likely won't need to. As far as we know , Storm 4 is already 60 FPS to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom