• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

That was a great game back in the day, it was one of the few games they stocked at my local rental shop and I probably rented it 100 times before finally beating it. I might have to revisit that game at some point, maybe even go for a few of the achievements.

I did not know this, it all makes sense now.

I say "glitch" but many people think it was done on purpose to make the game longer. Who knows. Stat growth is worse, enemies are stronger and you learn skill slower so the game is infuriating if you try to start as a spell caster. You can probably find more details by googling the game, it's fairly well known that the English version is much more difficult because of this.

Nabs

changed the fov to '59'? (it's vertical or horizontal or whatever, so it's different)

read online that 59 is a nice number, it starts at 54 and i did that site to try at 95 regular fov and it said 69 but that seems like a whole lot more

ughh whats with puzzle games and motion sicknessss

There are some things that seem to be adding up. The lack of a crosshair, the weird camera acceleration, and the weird walking acceleration. I think I'm going to hold off until some things are fixed, or I get a Steam Link so I can sit back and play.

Well I can log in again. So that's positive. How is everyone doing.
Welcome back buddy. Been too long seeing you here. Got all weird without your Indie videos. Hope all is going well?
Since when are threads with these kind of titles allowed on GAF?

2UtxAVV.png
You might want to uninstall the Master Race addon you're using :p
Sheesh. Investing all that time to make an addon just for jokes and stuff. Some people go incredible lengths for the dumbest things.
I try to have a positive outlook as much as I can, so I'll say I commend the passion of the dude at least.
I'm really unsure how some of y'all handled Bitterblack Isle in the high 40s/low 50s. I'm now mid 60s and I'm still getting #REKT on a regular basis.
Had to google Bitterblack Isle, was irking me not to know what game it is about, haha.
It's
Dragon's Dogma.

7th Saga maybe?

That's definitely a screen of 7th Saga... I never actually finished it cause I always rented it like JShackles. I wish that'd get ported to steam, I'd give it another go now and see if I couldn't manage to finish it (I know I was in the second half of the game where I ended up getting stuck most times due to rental times and such).

[That happened to me in a lot of SNES RPGs: 7th Saga in the second half after what seemed like the end potentially, Final Fantasy II in the Tower of Babil right around the Magus Sisters fight, Final Fantasy for NES right around the Lich and the Earth cave]

zkylon

zkylewd
That was a great game back in the day, it was one of the few games they stocked at my local rental shop and I probably rented it 100 times before finally beating it. I might have to revisit that game at some point, maybe even go for a few of the achievements.
It's punishing partly because they introduced a glitch in the localization that lowered stat growth at level up.
lol that's pretty weird

i remember that game being brutal but i also was a lot younger back then (ugh) and back then i'm not sure i was capable of much critical thinking much unlike the genius i have become with oldhood

but yeah that game was alright, i kind of didn't like it as much as my snes favorites (like front mission, shadowrun, super mario rpg, bahamut lagoon, tactics ogre, fire emblem, a link to the past, etc...) but i remember playing it a shit ton of it for some reason

There are some things that seem to be adding up. The lack of a crosshair, the weird camera acceleration, and the weird walking acceleration. I think I'm going to hold off until some things are fixed, or I get a Steam Link so I can sit back and play.
yeah that's the thing i'm dreading, specially when i know it's super lengthy

like a few hours of this sure ok

upwards of 40 hours of nausea tho, that sounds very troubling

hopefully he'll get it sorted out, the game deserves better

I was raped at level 50 as well.
I'm now on my NG+ hard run to take a revenge later.

Hahaha, if you're on hard, you won't be taking revenge in there until you complete hard mode and go back to NG+(x) and walk in there at level 100+. :lol

Can you redeem more than one Nvidia voucher for a free game? Already did it for MGSV and wonder If can do it for Lara.

As long as they're different games, yes.

My copies of Batman: Arkham Knight, MGSV, and RottR all came from nVidia codes.

rtcn63

Can you redeem more than one Nvidia voucher for a free game? Already did it for MGSV and wonder If can do it for Lara.

Like you already have MGSV from the Nvidia thing, and now you want to redeem Lara? Yes.

Not that anyone can redeem Lara. She's killed so many, tasted so much vengeance.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I say "glitch" but many people think it was done on purpose to make the game longer. Who knows. Stat growth is worse, enemies are stronger and you learn skill slower so the game is infuriating if you try to start as a spell caster. You can probably find more details by googling the game, it's fairly well known that the English version is much more difficult because of this.

I'll definitely have to check that out, because the game's absolutely brutal difficulty was great when I was younger (and had less stuff to play) but is the reason I don't regularly go back and revisit the game fondly like I do A Link to the Past, Earthbound, Actraiser, Illusion of Gaia, and Super Metroid all of which I typically play through once every few years.

Vamphuntr

I was raped at level 50 as well.
I'm now on my NG+ hard run to take a revenge later.

The most popular trick is to kill the Gorecyclop first. The big Cyclop tied to the chains. He will kill you in 1-2 hit but he's too big to fit in the entrance to the room. So you run to the entrance and he'll get stuck and will kill your dumb AI pawns. Meanwhile you use ranged Ice attack and magic to kill him. If you stay away he cannot touch you. He can drop lvl 2 cursed weapons and armors. Once you have those loot you save before the lady at the entrance. Uncurse them and see what you get, if you don't like it reload and do it again until you get something good. You get some ridiculous weapon with 800+ magic or attack power that makes the rest much more manageable.

Kifimbo

All four should work:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

1000 Amps -- MB-4EA31A34A27A4454 - Taken by Zeeman
Haegemonia -- MB-1E80DA295120E70F - Taken by Vuze
Bardbarian -- MB-ECC865A2F8D369B0 - Taken by neonglow
dUpLicity ~Beyond the Lies~ -- MB-E4E2C042BBD60D1A - Taken by dave is ok

rtcn63

Yeah I'm reading up on 7th Saga http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/7thsaga/7thsaga.htm

That challenge is taken to an extreme level in the US release of the game. The 7th Saga was a difficult game for its time with its variety of clues to find and relentless enemies to overcome, but for the US release, the game was made even more difficult. Enemies were made more powerful, and the game's experience system was changed so that your own characters grow and learn new abilities at a much slower rate. This makes playing with physically weaker characters like Valsu or Esuna almost impossible in the early game as it will take longer for them to learn their important magical skills. No matter which character you choose you will spend an hour or so fighting a lone bird over and over again outside of the first town and barely surviving. The game's intro makes a huge deal out of the great training your characters received over the past few years, but in the US version of the game even a single, plain old bird can easily crush you the minute you set foot outside of the castle.

Lain

i'd argue the PC achievements selection is better given that's the way Blow actually wanted them to be.

That's what a person trying to prop up his/her inferior version of the game would say, all the while PS4 players get the full 14 achievements experience.
Sucks to be you, guys!

Vamphuntr

I'll definitely have to check that out, because the game's absolutely brutal difficulty was great when I was younger (and had less stuff to play) but is the reason I don't regularly go back and revisit the game fondly like I do A Link to the Past, Earthbound, Actraiser, Illusion of Gaia, and Super Metroid all of which I typically play through once every few years.

You might be interested in this. It's a patch that replaces all the values/grwoth to what they were in the Japanese version. Apparently even the magic growth was broken in the JP release haha.

MUnited83

For you.
I was just kicking around gaming side a little bit ago and noticed that someone made a post making fun of a typo in thread title. He later went on to contribute to the discussion for the intended thread topic.

I made a post like that once... but I wasn't even making fun of a typo in the thread title. I merely answered the question posed in the thread title succinctly. And for this I was banned for a week.

Funny how all that works, right?

--

I'm really unsure how some of y'all handled Bitterblack Isle in the high 40s/low 50s. I'm now mid 60s and I'm still getting #REKT on a regular basis.

I went there on my 70s (and on Hard)and while it was ridiculously hard at first, a bit of cheese + Conqueror's Periapt x4 + Pilgrim's Charm and you just wreck everything and level up like crazy (i went up like 50/60 levels in a couple of days lol)

Warframe seems shockingly good. Or maybe not shockingly because its super popular in both reviews and activity. Its also very much like Destiny (from what Ive seen of Destiny) structure wise, for those that have been wanting Destny on PC.

And its very pretty. I wa going to say surprisingly pretty again, but like I said, I think ive just been out of the loop on the game.

I just crossed 200 hours on Warframe. I love it. It's pretty opaque when you first start out, but once you figure the basic gameplay / resource "loops" it all comes together really well. They are also very, very active developers, and are constantly adding things to the game.

One thing that doesn't help is if you aren't playing with friends, people you get matched with via random matchmaking are going to speed through the levels at 500 mph blowing up everything in sight, and with your early frames, mods and guns, you'll be left going "whuh?" That, coupled with the fact that the first thing you should be doing is "opening all the nodes" in the solar system node by node (which basically opens up all the "levels" for you so you can go wherever you want for special missions when they pop up), and most people currently playing aren't doing that anymore, so it can be a strangely solitary experience.

About the only things that are really worth spending real money on are extra warframe / weapon slots and "potatoes" (items that double the mod capacity of your frames and guns); most everything else can be farmed via gameplay without too much effort (and they've set up the first 4 or 5 bosses to drop frame parts that will give you a decently varied roster of frames to start, from the melee-focused in-your-face Rhino to the more "mage" Nyx). And they are very generous with 50% off coupons, with 75% off coupons thrown in now and then too. If you end up really liking the game a lot, one $15 purchase at 75% off will basically give you all the platinum you would ever possibly need.

Phawx

Welcome back Phawx

Wow. Long time no see duder. Hope all is well!

Welcome back buddy. Been too long seeing you here. Got all weird without your Indie videos. Hope all is going well?

Things are going as well as they can. Nothing is critical on my end but they aren't exactly super stable.

Don't know if you guys have seen it already about there are these weird android gaming handhelds. the GPD XD just came out:

51x2IgZzYnL.jpg

Anyhoo the same company that is making this is thinking of stuff an Intel Atom cherry trail into the same design.

The thread where it was discussed is here: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/windows-handheld-device/

Would make a pretty sweet SteamBoy

Eila

Have you played Terranigma/Sword Blazer? I guess you already did, because that's a fantastic SNES list.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Have you played Terranigma/Sword Blazer? I guess you already did, because that's a fantastic SNES list.

I played the hell out of Soul Blazer back in the day, but didn't play Terranigma until much later as it wasn't ever officially available in the US. Outside of PC, I'd say the SNES is probably my favorite system ever.

sadblob

One thing that doesn't help is if you aren't playing with friends, people you get matched with via random matchmaking are going to speed through the levels at 500 mph blowing up everything in sight, and with your early frames, mods and guns, you'll be left going "whuh?" That, coupled with the fact that the first thing you should be doing is "opening all the nodes" in the solar system node by node (which basically opens up all the "levels" for you so you can go wherever you want for special missions when they pop up), and most people currently playing aren't doing that anymore, so it can be a strangely solitary experience.

I agree. The game is extremely fun but it is not designed to play alone (and if you don't have friends playing the game it will be a constant), some missions are pretty much impossible to beat if you go solo with certain warframes. On the other hand, playing a defense map with 3 guys it's pretty intense and it's worth playing the game just for that.

kagamin

I used an augment that lowers physical damage received by a lot and am wearing a nice armor set I got in the Everfall, having a lot of wakestones also helps. As a warrior I constantly destroy enemies once I get them to focus on my pawns, I combo'd a thunder drake to death using Arc of Deliverance over and over by placing it into knockdown and immediately reactivating the skill, refilling my stamina with items as needed. (I was low 50s when I did BBI and finished at level 61).

That's what a person trying to prop up his/her inferior version of the game would say, all the while PS4 players get the full 14 achievements experience.
Sucks to be you, guys!

Haha. True.

Playstation, to my knowledge, no longer forces any arbitrary # of achievements. This would be why full retail titles are not required to have 51. (I think Bloodborne retail had something like 36 including platinum?)

Usually, if anything, the PC version ends up with extra achievements that the devs cut out because they hit the upper limit (I think 50 + platinum was the max without DLC content previously... and digital only were focused on being 12 for awhile, probably because that was the limit that xbox imposed with the 12/200 points rule).

Eila

I played the hell out of Soul Blazer back in the day, but didn't play Terranigma until much later as it wasn't ever officially available in the US. Outside of PC, I'd say the SNES is probably my favorite system ever.

Haha guessed as much. SNES is also my coke.
There's so many gems on that system, although younger people often overlook the Genesis and specially the Turbografx-16!

Ultimadrago

The enhanced edition is fine but don't expect much from the added characters and content. If you want to get Baldur's Gate expansion they are doing (Dragonspear), get the enhanced edition as saves will be compatible.

Personally I prefer the BG+ToSC+BG2+ToB using the Weidu trilogy mod.

Cool, thanks!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

You're also an Actraiser fan? 💕

Momentary

Banned

I brought some 2x XP items, and brought 2 people that were 25 levels lower than me (Gives you a BIG XP Boost). BOOM. I became the hulk.

Hahaha, if you're on hard, you won't be taking revenge in there until you complete hard mode and go back to NG+(x) and walk in there at level 100+. :lol

Can't we just enter BBI anytime? I don't think we have to finish the game first.
I'm planning to tackle it at level 60-70 or so.

The most popular trick is to kill the Gorecyclop first. The big Cyclop tied to the chains. He will kill you in 1-2 hit but he's too big to fit in the entrance to the room. So you run to the entrance and he'll get stuck and will kill your dumb AI pawns. Meanwhile you use ranged Ice attack and magic to kill him. If you stay away he cannot touch you. He can drop lvl 2 cursed weapons and armors. Once you have those loot you save before the lady at the entrance. Uncurse them and see what you get, if you don't like it reload and do it again until you get something good. You get some ridiculous weapon with 800+ magic or attack power that makes the rest much more manageable.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

That Canadian pricing...
2aN746W.gif

Damn, almost $100 for a game.

Jawmuncher

Played a bit of Xcom Enemy Within. Liking it so far. Had a funny crash happen at the very end of the first tutorial mission though. The unit went "Looks like the trouble is over" then boom crashed.

Soulflarz

Banned
You should let Blow know. He seems to think otherwise.

to be fair it has a platinum

i'm sure theres some mandated amount for platinums, else he'd just put "Start the game" is a platinum and no other trophies.

Playstation still requires a minimum amount and unlike Xbox only games they deem worthy get a platinum.

I find it amusing that sony stole achievements and made them so much better.

Seriously, platinum incentive is strong :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom