• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
People are taking medicine to fight motion sickness in The Witness, is this part of the game too?
If you die in the game, you die in real life too?

Pachimari

People are taking medicine to fight motion sickness in The Witness, is this part of the game too?

Shit, that reminds me, when I had to review The Orange Box, and I had a tight deadline. I got really motion sick with Half-Life 2 and the episodes, so I had to take medicine while playing through the game for hours. Was such a nightmare.

Haunted

Ha! I meant my Rainbow 6 waffle, not my Division waffle. Christ that put me to sleep just writing it let alone any poor soul who braved to read it all. Still thanks for reading I guess.
4PfiJKp.gif

fair enough!

In a couple of hours then I guess.
Twitter getting the CSD!2 scoops before GAF now?

c'mon chubs :p

MaxiLive

I didn't realise Tomb Raider was out today for PC! I was expecting a Friday release as per usual for the EU.

Woot! A very nice surprise.

If you die in the game, you die in real life too?

lol what the hell, there is very little movement, and you walk slow, not sure why you would get motion sickness over COD or something.|

Also I am debating buying this "gold edition" as it appears to price error. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...2316686)(CAqD7bLWUPI-.6m3Bo.0IHLNac1MSiDUrA)()

Still 79.99 is so much moneys

Dr Dogg

Just noticed that SFV unlocks at 6pm GMT on the 16th. Really hope that changes to midnight. Need my fix.

I'm kind of hoping Capcom forget to turn the servers off on the beta until launch.

The tail end of last years releases, stuff I still have on the go from last year and this years early releases and betas are all stacking up. There are not enough hours in the day to sample it all so something has to give but I can't decide what to drop!

XShagrath

I'm scared for Tomb Raider today. This is going to show the age of my graphics card and make me go buy a new one, isn't it? Radeon 7950 3GB that's been treating me pretty well with everything I've thrown at it so far.

I'm kind of hoping Capcom forget to turn the servers off on the beta until launch.

The tail end of last years releases, stuff I still have on the go from last year and this years early releases and betas are all stacking up. There are not enough hours in the day to sample it all so something has to give but I can't decide what to drop!

I was really hoping they would just have an extended beta that lasted until launch. But alas they're not that cool. Oh well, I've taken a week off work anyway so I'll be playing the shit out of it. Can't wait.

Maybe it's the cynic in me (or the fact that I've dabbled in marketing), but when I see someone gushing over a game (that, to be honest, hasn't had the best launch) and desperately trying to win people over to play it, it turns me off from said product immediately.

Since you have dabbled in marketing, may I ask what your strategy would be if a couple of major competitors launched a similar product at the same time as you?

brau

So who establishes what time things unlock and when on steam?

Been sick and unable to sleep and i thought i would find comfort in playing RotTR last night. Turns out the game doesn't unlock until noon. wth??

MUnited83

For you.
So who establishes what time things unlock and when on steam?

Been sick and unable to sleep and i thought i would find comfort in playing RotTR last night. Turns out the game doesn't unlock until noon. wth??
The publishers , but it seems to need to be manually approved by Valve

brau

Publishers I believe.

The publishers , but it seems to need to be manually approved by Valve

I wish there was more consistency to the way they are released. I've seen games release 3 hrs before the game actual release date. Other release at midnight.. others at 9am... or noon. Even living in PST that seems to regulate some of these time frames it seems arbitrary.

sorry... im just upset im not playing RotTR.

I wish there was more consistency to the way they are released. I've seen games release 3 hrs before the game actual release date. Other release at midnight.. others at 9am... or noon. Even living in PST that seems to regulate some of these time frames it seems arbitrary.

Well most Arcsys games release 8PM EST/7PM CST the day they are supposed to come out because Japan is sleep when the store is updated. It's funny really.

Corpekata

Banned

There generally is consistency. It's releasing at the normal store release time that like 75 percent of games release at.

Is there anything worse than having a day off, an afternoon free, an open block of morning or late night, whatever...

...and then not having the game unlock when you thought it would?

It's such a sinking feeling.

XShagrath

There's really no reason to pre-load a game if you've got a fast connection, right? The one time I've pre-loaded, it took longer to unpack the game than the download itself.

Knurek

I'm more pissed that a wrote a flipping wall of text for no point than being call a name. I mean I've got work to do!

Anyway peeps have something Steam related (sort of)

Rise of the Tomb Raider Graphics & Performance Guide (Nvidia)

•Confirmed on the stream by the developer that the following specs should net you a solid 60fps on the highest settings (note that these are the specs of the twitch streamers PC)

- Windows 7 64-bit
- Intel Core i7 CPU @4.00 GHz
- 32GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 980

brau

Well most Arcsys games release 8PM EST/7PM CST the day they are supposed to come out because Japan is sleep when the store is updated. It's funny really.

There generally is consistency. It's releasing at the normal store release time that like 75 percent of games release at.

well its no wonder you go into threads and see people asking specifically at what time it will unlock in their region. Like consistently. I would say its a problem. But maybe one that is not that big for valve to care.

Is there anything worse than having a day off, an afternoon free, an open block of morning or late night, whatever...

...and then not having the game unlock when you thought it would?

It's such a sinking feeling.

yea.. i was pretty bum out. thought i could cheer up with TR. But i rewatched Drunken Master and made up for it.

•Confirmed on the stream by the developer that the following specs should net you a solid 60fps on the highest settings (note that these are the specs of the twitch streamers PC)

- Windows 7 64-bit
- 32GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 980

oh boy.

Dr Dogg

Hot off the press! 28gb of RAM found in Xbone Power Brick. Secret Sauce confirmed!

There's really no reason to pre-load a game if you've got a fast connection, right? The one time I've pre-loaded, it took longer to unpack the game than the download itself.

Depends really. For me on a pretty decent speed SSD with a i5 Haswell CPU @4.4Ghz it takes about ~15 mins to unpack a 20gb game (that was Dragon's Dogma). I think larger titles like GTAV and FFXIII were in and around the 30 min mark but that's way faster for me than downloading the game from unlock time. Then again some folks have a CPU with lower IPS and slower, mechanical hard drivers and are waiting much longer to unpack.

Kriken

- Windows 7 64-bit
- 32GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 980

Da fuk?!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

A game involving tombs but with no Sam -- MB-6E64AAAF10C59929 - Taken by arts&crafts. 29 entrants total.

t1454008206z1.png

XShagrath

Depends really. For me on a pretty decent speed SSD with a i5 Haswell CPU @4.4Ghz it takes about ~15 mins to unpack a 20gb game (that was Dragon's Dogma). I think larger titles like GTAV and FFXIII were in and around the 30 min mark but that's way faster for me than downloading the game from unlock time. Then again some folks have a CPU with lower IPS and slower, mechanical hard drivers and are waiting much longer to unpack.
Thanks for the info. Last game I pre-loaded I think was GTAV, and I was on an old hard drive. I've since upgraded to a 960GB SSD, so that should speed things up. I've got a 100Mbit connection, so a 20GB won't take me very long either. It's probably a wash.

- Windows 7 64-bit
- 32GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 980

I mean, I know it's maxed settings but 32 Gigs of Ram, what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom