• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Thanks for the info. Last game I pre-loaded I think was GTAV, and I was on an old hard drive. I've since upgraded to a 960GB SSD, so that should speed things up. I've got a 100Mbit connection, so a 20GB won't take me very long either. It's probably a wash.

Well that used to be preferable for those who had small capacity drives as you needed double the space to both download and unpack the game when you preload over say just install upon release. But now you only need the space for the install. I stopped a preload that was still in progress of downloading by the time it had released and ended up finishing downloading it before others had it unpacked so there is that.

I mean 100Mbit for 20GB isn't going to be much more than my unpack times, but hey it's nice to have options!

Ban Puncher

•Confirmed on the stream by the developer that the following specs should net you a solid 60fps on the highest settings (note that these are the specs of the twitch streamers PC)

- Windows 7 64-bit
- Intel Core i7 CPU @4.00 GHz
- 32GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 980

Having 32GB of RAM finally pays off!

Time to upgrade to 64GB.

Monooboe

Oh man I really hope ROTTR magically runs well on a 970GTX and a 3440x1440 resolution without having to sacrifice too much of the bells and whistles. I can't wait to play it.

Approx one hour to go!

Shit, that reminds me, when I had to review The Orange Box, and I had a tight deadline. I got really motion sick with Half-Life 2 and the episodes, so I had to take medicine while playing through the game for hours. Was such a nightmare.

Damn, what a shitty way to experience one of the best games ever made. One thing that must suck for reviewers is to have what should be great experiences turned into chores.

Still no Tomb Raider key from the Nvidia code I bought from Lunaniem.

I'm ready for some hot Tom Braider action.

Wish it unlocked an hour earlier though....

My pre-load just did something new... it was strange... but now it's back to being "in queue" without the ability to bump it up to the top.

--

And oh, look, ASW pushed another patch for GG Xrd. Care to guess at the file size?
For those of you not playing at home, every time ASW patches Xrd, it's a 3.2gb download. I've had at least 6.4gb of patches in the last 48 hours or so.

a7P2vFQ.gif

MUnited83

For you.
Damn, what a shitty way to experience one of the best games ever made. One thing that must suck for reviewers is to have what should be great experiences turned into chores.

Still no Tomb Raider key from the Nvidia code I bought from Lunaniem.

Did you try to redeem it recently? It should be working.

Dr Dogg

Remember that time when a Bethesda community manager said The Evil Within 'needed' 4GB system RAM and 4GB VRAM with some barmy reason as to why despite the final game not getting close to using either of those amounts? Oh the fun and games we have!

Knurek

Oh man I really hope ROTTR magically runs well on a 970GTX and a 3440x1440 resolution without having to sacrifice too much of the bells and whistles. I can't wait to play it.

Approx one hour to go!

If Andy's guide is of any help, you will have to run on very low to have playable framerates with 970 and that resolution. :\

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xxPVMYM.png

Mystery Gift #3 -- MB-D64AA3547EC63267 - Taken by Hektor
Mystery Gift #2 -- MB-BF51A13B02C64431 - Taken by brau
Mystery Gift -- MB-62F474FCAEC1BEC7 - Taken by derExperte

Haunted

yesssss

I've been whining about the difficulty and RNG of the game, but now that I've managed to beat it, I of course realise it's a game of strategy, planning and pure skill.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

giphy.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Baron_Calamity, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LOWCOBALL -- MB-52BE53B7B1C27DAF - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.

t1453999206z1.png

Dsyndrome

Hopefully it's lack of optimization that's making Tomb Raider weak in the knees for most setups. If this is the new trend, I'm going to be very sad for a lot of the new games this year. I have 32GB of RAM and I doubt it's seriously going to change dick.

Haunted

Hopefully it's lack of optimization that's making Tomb Raider weak in the knees for most setups. If this is the new trend, I'm going to be very sad for a lot of the new games this year.
We all knew the jump in requirements was coming as soon as it was entirely current-gen console games ported over instead of the cross-gen games before.

Theoretical comparisons in power aside (my year-old setup should be comparable to a PS4 on paper), there's always an element of having to brute force your way through with console ports.

ModBot said:
Instructions for William Bonney:Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (William Bonney, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Invisible, Inc. -- MB-95564E6DF8C77F91 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 17 entrants total.

t1453999626z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zo05DI5.png

someone else try the key. i have no idea what it is. lol

The key for Mystery Gift #2 is
E7ZTT-H0C6F-9TIAG

It's a key for an Alienware-branded thingo in Payday 2. Thanks. ;) I honestly assumed I'd be beaten to the punch.

Parsnip

The 32GB RAM means nothing.
It's just so happens that's the setup the streamer has.
I can't tell if any of you are serious with your reactions to that and it makes me sad.
I guess I expect that from gaming side but expect better from Steamgaf?

Or maybe I'm just cranky because the game hasn't unlocked yet.

Just thought I'd pop in to let you all know that Cubixx HD has been released on Steam for $8.99 with a 35% launch discount.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/420570
Good luck with the launch.

brau

It's a key for an Alienware-branded thingo in Payday 2. Thanks. ;) I honestly assumed it'd be a dupe.

yay!! im glad it worked for you.

I never win these things. was psyched i did only to find i can't redeem it. Story of my life.

Kudos to people that giveaway tho. As soon as i get my taxes ill do some big giveaways.

MUnited83

For you.
I redeemed it a few days ago but I was supposed to get an e-mail with the steam key and I expected it to have arrived by now.

There's no steam key, you need to go to the site again and go through the same proccess, and it will redeem the game directly to your account.

Happy (33th!) birthday for me! Don't know, maybe i should bough myself ROTR or just stick to DD:DA (and i'm glued to this great game!). Or maybe buy Witness (but i still not beat The Talos Principle DLC!)

lEwACD5.png

Happy birthday! Beat Talos first, you have plenty of time to get The Witness :)

Dr Dogg

Apparently in 20 minutes.

What? But I need to go grab me 16GB's of British RAM on the way home first!

Edit: Which I've just realised probably someone is going to post that gif of the 'u wot m8' Ram butting a punch bag. If that happens I'm deeply sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom