• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinor

Question to all of ya hardware gurus...

My GPU fan is locked at 33%. It goes up with temperature, but just doesn't want to go below that value (~roughly 1100 rpm).

My idle temp is at around 33 Celsius, so I think the card should handle lower fan values just fine. Any way to force them? Tried NVIDIA inspector and MSI afterburner, no dice.

Many if not most GPU fans have a limit as to how low they will go. There's usually nothing you can do about that, engineers have set the limit. I don't know why they still do it today but in the past it sometimes used to be an issue with low voltages when fans were voltage controlled. At around 5V or less, the fan might suddenly stop spinning completely because the voltage simply wouldn't be enough to keep it spinning even at a low rate.

33-35% is pretty typical range. Obviously 0 db solutions are gaining ground all the time but not every company offers that just yet.

rtcn63

tomb6.jpg

Seriously...

Is this a screenshot from Until Dawn

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Planetary Annhilation -- MB-F3014D77748CAFC7 - Taken by Last Baron

Monooboe

If Andy's guide is of any help, you will have to run on very low to have playable framerates with 970 and that resolution. :\

Thankfully if I just put shadows on medium and AO on just "on" and everything else very high I actually get aorund 30fps. Though, I'm just in the icy beginning so might be the later game is much more demanding.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So now there's only negative reviews on steam that are upvoted to the first page for the witness.
But the game has a "very positive" score of reviews according to the page.

Maybe it's a lot fo people who hasn't bought it or played it that are upvoting the negative ones or it's just that the game really isn't for everyone and the majority of voters is probably players that didn't like it but couldn't be bothered to make their own negative reviews.

Wok

So now there's only negative reviews on steam that are upvoted to the first page for the witness.
But the game has a "very positive" score of reviews according to the page.

Maybe it's a lot fo people who hasn't bought it or played it that are upvoting the negative ones or it's just that the game really isn't for everyone and the majority of voters is probably players that didn't like it but couldn't be bothered to make their own negative reviews.

The game is not for everyone for sure. It is not the usual kind of puzzle game. It is more akin to a piece of art actually. In the "Gone Home" sense. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that The Witness is almost not in the same genre as Talos Principle.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You guys and your fancy Tomb Raider screenshots are making me want to bonk off work early and call in sick tomorrow.

Gave RotTR a spin for a few seconds. My 7950 is getting 30-45fps on high (at least in the intro area). I don't want to buy a new video card, but I'll probably buy a new video card.

That probably also means I'll need a new power supply too, which isn't a bad thing. I didn't go modular last time, and have really been looking for a reason to get one to clean up my case a bit.

I have the same card. I'm trying to hold off until both companies put out their next gen products but its getting really difficult.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The game is not for everyone for sure. It is not the usual kind of puzzle game. It is more akin to a piece of art actually. In the "Gone Home" sense. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that The Witness is almost not in the same genre as Talos Principle.

Yeah I just hope it won't financially be a disaster for Jonathan Blow and Thekla, would be a bummer.

Zeknurn

Apologies if Post Mortem or Crazy Cars do not work, they are from the publisher raffle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-A829CBF26A721839 - Taken by Neverforget
Post Mortem -- MB-399F68886AFBEA0C
GRID -- MB-F104B4781D4BEBAF - Taken by Bowlie
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-8D614B8BB1B8A21F - Taken by UnderWaterTree
The Division Beta -- MB-390FEBA34E04527B
Crazy Cars -- MB-BF2AFBF8D40C3E9E

Dr Dogg

You guys and your fancy Tomb Raider screenshots are making me want to bonk off work early and call in sick tomorrow.

How about some of therealminime and faith's 21:9 screenies from the PC Screenshot thread.

If ever there was a showcase for the aspect ratio it was TR13 and RotTR is no exception too. I'm still debating getting a 21:9 monitor :(

XShagrath

Cool free sunless sea weekend, on the top of my wishlist :)
Sweet! I've been wanting to try that out.

Where do you go to install "free weekend" games? I don't see anything on the store page, and it's not in my library.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm dumb. You have to click the little "FREE" on the Weekend Deal info.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

A game involving tombs but with no Sam -- MB-6E64AAAF10C59929 - Taken by arts&crafts. 29 entrants total.

t1454008206z1.png

Sweet! I've been wanting to try that out.

Where do you go to install "free weekend" games? I don't see anything on the store page, and it's not in my library.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm dumb. You have to click the little "FREE" on the Weekend Deal info.

yea sorry I am at work so cant try now just saw the weekend deal at the side.

Sorry, Square-Enix but thats stupid. If you preorder you have to pay full price, but if you buy it at release you can get it cheaper?

Its good for me, since I will buy it for that cheaper price, but really sucks for the ones who preordered it...

Dr Dogg

Let's be honest here, has anything surrounding the marketing and promotion of Tom Braider made a lick of sense? It's about as backward as a situation I can ever remember.

Sorry, Square-Enix but thats stupid. If you preorder you have to pay full price, but if you buy it at release you can get it cheaper?

Its good for me, since I will buy it for that cheaper price, but really sucks for the ones who preordered it...

Pre-orders are a mistake.

#Leafhopperisright

rtcn63

The
Hangar
in Chris' campaign.
So I heard you liked tight close-quarters melee combat, here have some snipers and suicidal exploding enemies!

Can you play on Professional difficulty the first time through? Because that's probably the equivalent to Veteran in previous games. I didn't even get my first green herb until
the boss fight alongside Jake and Sherry
. Although 3/4ths through the campaign, I have a large surplus of health and ammo again because I'd always prioritize the handgun to save space. And well, the equipped skills (firearm, melee, and defense). Still, without them, it wouldn't be so bad.

I should try vanilla No Hope the next time I install the game.

Jawmuncher

The
Hangar
in Chris' campaign.
So I heard you liked tight close-quarters melee combat, here have some snipers and suicidal exploding enemies!

Can you play on Professional difficulty the first time through? Because that's probably the equivalent to Veteran in previous games. I didn't even get my first green herb until
the boss fight alongside Jake and Sherry
. Although 3/4ths through the campaign, I have a large surplus of health and ammo again because I'd always prioritize the handgun to save space. And well, the equipped skills (firearm, melee, and defense). Still, without them, I'm sure I'd be fine barring a no-death-per-chapter run.

Yeah you can play it. I did no mercy fresh .

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pantsattack, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lucius -- MB-439FA0952E64A5EE - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
Street Racing Syndicate -- MB-CB3C9734EB668B70
Little Inferno -- MB-A52C7A2598AC4418 - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 1 entrants total.

t1454006886z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom