• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

'Thanks for preordering RotTR, here's a 10% discount for everyone who didn't.' Not that I care because this totally worked for me.
Even non-Asus cards? Because my MSI 970 doesn't have a PPID sticker.
Have some games on me SteamGaf
Been some time seeing you Sub. How you doing?
•Confirmed on the stream by the developer that the following specs should net you a solid 60fps on the highest settings (note that these are the specs of the twitch streamers PC)

- Windows 7 64-bit
- Intel Core i7 CPU @4.00 GHz
- 32GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 980
That is unexpectedly big. Doubt it means much.
Happy (33th!) birthday for me! Don't know, maybe i should bough myself ROTR or just stick to DD:DA (and i'm glued to this great game!). Or maybe buy Witness (but i still not beat The Talos Principle DLC!)
Happy birthday.
Somehow the website these webm's are hosted on, got flagged by ESET:

I've seen this happen before with content in the SteamGAF starting post. (The start post in this 01/2016 thread doesn't seem to trigger anything.)
Hm, that is weird. I'm using http://1339.cf/ since it has a whopping 100MB limit and best choice ever since http://pomf.se went down.
It worked, I actually got one! :)
Hoping to find enough spare time tomorrow then.

I guess my lasting legacy on GAF will be of the guy who writes long winded posts that go overboard in detail, explaining the nuances and finer points of a game instead of keeping it concise, simple and to the point. Or as you lameos would say 'uses 100 words when 10 would do!'.
Trust me it's endearing. You were just the person I first thought when I was typing all of that.
Doesn't fit into Twitter's name limit. Would be bad for the brand to fracture ourselves so, even if it were more befitting an outfit of our stature.

Lol.

Uzzy

One of the best things about the Tomb Raider reboots is the minimal UI as standard. Really allows you to take in some fantastic art direction without all the gamey 'you must go here and do a thing' cluttering up the screen. Even more so in Rise because the colour pallet is more diverse than 50 shades of grey and brown that TR13 had.

Yeah, it's a screenshot a minute game. Makes me wish for a free camera mode, but maybe someone will mod that in. At least with the UI out the way you can get some good snaps.

I kinda wish there were even higher settings in a game like this. I mean, I know I'm in a tiny percentage of people in that I've got a 980 Ti, but I can get 60fps at 1080p with everything on max except for SSAA. I want to see settings and tweaks that'd bring a 980 Ti to it's knees.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Still haven't redeemed my free upgrade. Just sent an email to Topware with my proof of purchase requesting an upgrade key, wonder if they'll honor it (probably not since they're known shitheads)

Been some time seeing you Sub. How you doing?

Had a very rough year but I'm slowly starting to feel better. Hopefully I'll be more active in the Steam threads now that I'm pretty bored of my PS4

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
9hRceTo.jpg

Opinions and all, but you have to admit you are in an extremely small minority here.

In the minority and very happy to be so.

Seeing as to what's popular with the masses doesn't always translate to quality, I can care less if I'm in the minority or not, honestly.

Had a very rough year but I'm slowly starting to feel better. Hopefully I'll be more active in the Steam threads now that I'm pretty bored of my PS4
Sorry to hear bud. Hope all gets better soon. Hang in there.
-----
Before you jump at me, I know it was posted already but this has image.

Styx!.. but too high and having all three Wargame games at a good BTA would have nice. But like this? Pass.

Tizoc

OK so here are my laptop's specs
GPU: GeForce GTX 770M
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
16 GB RAM
Win 8.1

Surprisingly I can run the game at High+Very High realhair options, but bloom and other 'tickable' graphics options are disabled.
Game runs between 25-45 FPS though @o@

Uzzy

Styx!.. but too high and having all three Wargame games at a good BTA would have nice. But like this? Pass.

I was a bit surprised to only see European Escalation in the bundle. I'd have thought that Airland Battle was old enough to get included, with maybe Red Dragon at a higher tier.

Wish Eugen would announce a 4th Wargame already. Give me the Middle Eastern nations!

Anteater

OK so here are my laptop's specs
GPU: GeForce GTX 770M
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
16 GB RAM
Win 8.1

Surprisingly I can run the game at High+Very High realhair options, but bloom and other 'tickable' graphics options are disabled.
Game runs between 25-45 FPS though @o@

isn't there an area that's especially demanding? 25-45 doesn't sound bad

that face tho

Tizoc

isn't there an area that's especially demanding? 25-45 doesn't sound bad

Oh I should note that I am still early in the game but so far so good I gotta say, would've prefered an FPS lock option personally though, I really liked that in Moredoors.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ha! Perfect. Though I get the feeling you've already planned this out meticulously.

Character limits are the bane of my existence. And yet, I still choose to use Twitter as my social network of choice. I do it to myself, really.

Speaking of verbose nonsense and thoughts on games, I feel like talking a bit about The Long Dark, since a few had asked me my thoughts as I played it over the blizzard weekend.

Contrary to what the store page says, The Long Dark is actually a game about me searching the vast wilderness for a Canadian to help me score a copy of The Witness for a few bucks cheaper. With the death of the Russian Bear and Brazilian Sloth, one has to go to extreme methods in order to save money on their games. This struggle is represented in whole by the every day demands required of the player in The Long Dark. In my 22 hours with the game, I've yet to find another living human being, which accurately mirrors my inability to find actual Canadians. Trudeau's really done a number on the country in these past few weeks, hasn't he?

Bearing in mind that the game is still in Early Access™, the only mode available at the moment is the popular survival sandbox. I hit open world burnout years ago, and find that a game really needs to give me something to chew on as I explore beyond the simple, yet lustful, pleasure of discovering whatever's on the other side of the massive hill I'm facing at any given moment. My first nights were rough, with no tutorial to explain to me each of the systems and how they all tied together. But I emerged, leaner, possibly easily mistakable for the Cryptkeeper by day 3. I thought this a cunning plan to evade being hunted by the local wildlife. What wolf would want to expend the energy to kill me when one of the local rabbits had more meat on their bones? Well, the wolf who did me in expended that energy. I admire their tenacity.

Despite my personal reservations against both the tedium of survival games and inherent blandness of open world titles, I could not stop exploring The Long Dark's maps. Landmarks were few and far between, but each one felt unique enough that I never felt like I'd been there before. It generates a sense of place in the mixture of industrialized areas and naturally overgrown sideyards that I felt hasn't most games haven't designed nearly as well since the STALKER games proudly made their mark. I think this speaks highly on the hand-made nature of each map. I also never felt lost, even in the midst of the most powerful of storms, because of the unique setups of each area. There's no in-game map to speak of, but I also didn't need to resort to drawing my own. I just always knew where I was without the need for triangulating myself.

Mechanics will make or break a game quite easily, and for something that enforces permadeath, the entire game's design is even more fragile than usual. Other than the insanely enhanced passage of time, I found each mechanic to be both present and perfectly sensible in its demands on the player and sustainability in the sandbox. There were multiple options for hunting, gathering materials for fires, bountiful troves of clothing and other man-made materials, and so on. I do take issue with the game's depiction of books as merely stacks of paper to be burned, but that's neither here nor there. Once you crawl over the initial hurdle of understanding The Long Dark on its own terms, you can hit a stride fairly easily. Or... so I feel.

The randomly generated nature of every box, cabinet and corpse you stumble upon means that you could, potentially, end up with a very bad run. There are some necessities that may not appear for very long stretches of time, and I can see this easily stepping in your way and causing you to stumble into an early end. In my current run, I've been playing for about 15 hours or so, and I've yet to find a hacksaw. Yet, there are items everywhere which require one for me to deconstruct into useful parts. I also lacked a whetstone, tools or cleaning kits for quite a while. I managed to persevere without, but RNG is a factor into your experience, so you may not find yourself as comfortable as I was.

And comfort is the key word here. With 22 hours in the game total, I've decided to shelf the game. I think it's probably the best survival game there is, with perhaps exception to Arma 3 mods or a community-run version of DayZ. It honestly wowed me that I felt compelled to play as long as I did, and I imagine for fans of the genre, they'll have a lot more meat to chew on than my frail and withered bones could offer Mr. Winston Wolf. What has finally given me pause is that I'm actually afraid of dying at this point. With so many hours invested in this run, I don't know if I'd care to start all over again should the world see fit to strike me down. Again, this is an aspect of the game I think fans will enjoy, and is absolutely integral to the overarching credo of the game. I once locked myself out of a building and thought I was trapped on a part of the map I never knew was even there. I spent two in-game days in a total panic, trying to think about where I was relative to the rest of the map, and where I could possibly go to get back to my established base. Without the threat of losing everything, this situation wouldn't have been nearly as harrowing as it felt at the time. But, I'm hanging up my Winter Coat Pro and deerskin boots now, before such a fate falls upon me. I never did find a living Canadian to help me, either.

Guess I'm waiting on Firewatch for now, then.

Arthea

IDK, SUNLESS SEA doesn't look that fun to me, it doesn't look anything to me, and I don't have time for no fun nothings.
Or am I missing something?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm not surprised by the Oxenfree sales. It seemed like I was literally the only person in this thread who bought it. Hopefully it works up to Swapper levels of appreciation eventually.

Dr Dogg

Trust me it's endearing. You were just the person I first thought when I was typing all of that.

Ha! Don't worry I wear my overlong prattling like a badge of honour.

Yeah, it's a screenshot a minute game. Makes me wish for a free camera mode, but maybe someone will mod that in. At least with the UI out the way you can get some good snaps.

I kinda wish there were even higher settings in a game like this. I mean, I know I'm in a tiny percentage of people in that I've got a 980 Ti, but I can get 60fps at 1080p with everything on max except for SSAA. I want to see settings and tweaks that'd bring a 980 Ti to it's knees.

That's why you push the limits in other means, like resolution and framerate. You can easily bring even a couple of 980 Ti's to heir knees if you wanted to, Here's an example, since the first screenshots of a near final build were shown some folks were baffled by some 'weird aliasing' which to me looked more over like straight up shader aliasing that even a post AA solution isn't going to do much. So it was quite noticeable in the game on Xbone and I remembered a scene where it was quite prominent and just got their on PC. Here's the results...
1920x1080 with AA = SMAA
24049658853_370a485e66_o.png

3840x2160 with AA = SMAA (resampled to 1920x1080 bicubic)
24049659793_32297fdb90_o.png

3840x2160 with AA = 4xSSAA (resampled to 1920x1080 bicubic)
24650270556_0ecb1b5f43_o.png
So as you can see on the wooden spears you've got signifcant aliasing compared to the rest of the scene @ 1920x1080. Just bumping the resolution to 3840x2160 isn't enough to quash it even. To make a meaningful impact in both static shots and in motion I had to go to 3840x2160 with 4xSSAA on top and even then it's not absolutely temporally stable. Was tempted to fire up DSR to 7680x4320 with SSAA on top but I could imagine things going pop! But if you look at the top left and see my framerates I was getting, 1920x1080 was 60, 3840x2160 was around 30 and 3840x2160 with SSAA was brought down to 14. But we're in the realms of diminishing returns for all but the diehard IQ fanatics.

You should. It's one of the best co-op games of 2015.

I'm probably going to bite before the latest sale on the store is over.

Ozium

people are probably pirating the witness because it is more expensive than it should be and is overpriced.. Jonathan Blow is one person and he made the game and is asking 40 dollars, while Ubisoft has like 1200 people working on one title and they ask 60. I don't believe in math but 120 divided by 6 is a better deal than 40 divided by 1

it's science

IDK, SUNLESS SEA doesn't look that fun to me, it doesn't look anything to me, and I don't have time for no fun nothings.

don't bother, it requires intellect and patience so I'm not sure if it's you're kind of thing

Character limits are the bane of my existence. And yet, I still choose to use Twitter as my social network of choice. I do it to myself, really.

Speaking of verbose nonsense and thoughts on games, I feel like talking a bit about The Long Dark, since a few had asked me my thoughts as I played it over the blizzard weekend.

Contrary to what the store page says, The Long Dark is actually a game about me searching the vast wilderness for a Canadian to help me score a copy of The Witness for a few bucks cheaper. With the death of the Russian Bear and Brazilian Sloth, one has to go to extreme methods in order to save money on their games. This struggle is represented in whole by the every day demands required of the player in The Long Dark. In my 22 hours with the game, I've yet to find another living human being, which accurately mirrors my inability to find actual Canadians. Trudeau's really done a number on the country in these past few weeks, hasn't he?

Bearing in mind that the game is still in Early Access™, the only mode available at the moment is the popular survival sandbox. I hit open world burnout years ago, and find that a game really needs to give me something to chew on as I explore beyond the simple, yet lustful, pleasure of discovering whatever's on the other side of the massive hill I'm facing at any given moment. My first nights were rough, with no tutorial to explain to me each of the systems and how they all tied together. But I emerged, leaner, possibly easily mistakable for the Cryptkeeper by day 3. I thought this a cunning plan to evade being hunted by the local wildlife. What wolf would want to expend the energy to kill me when one of the local rabbits had more meat on their bones? Well, the wolf who did me in expended that energy. I admire their tenacity.

Despite my personal reservations against both the tedium of survival games and inherent blandness of open world titles, I could not stop exploring The Long Dark's maps. Landmarks were few and far between, but each one felt unique enough that I never felt like I'd been there before. It generates a sense of place in the mixture of industrialized areas and naturally overgrown sideyards that I felt hasn't most games haven't designed nearly as well since the STALKER games proudly made their mark. I think this speaks highly on the hand-made nature of each map. I also never felt lost, even in the midst of the most powerful of storms, because of the unique setups of each area. There's no in-game map to speak of, but I also didn't need to resort to drawing my own. I just always knew where I was without the need for triangulating myself.

Mechanics will make or break a game quite easily, and for something that enforces permadeath, the entire game's design is even more fragile than usual. Other than the insanely enhanced passage of time, I found each mechanic to be both present and perfectly sensible in its demands on the player and sustainability in the sandbox. There were multiple options for hunting, gathering materials for fires, bountiful troves of clothing and other man-made materials, and so on. I do take issue with the game's depiction of books as merely stacks of paper to be burned, but that's neither here nor there. Once you crawl over the initial hurdle of understanding The Long Dark on its own terms, you can hit a stride fairly easily. Or... so I feel.

The randomly generated nature of every box, cabinet and corpse you stumble upon means that you could, potentially, end up with a very bad run. There are some necessities that may not appear for very long stretches of time, and I can see this easily stepping in your way and causing you to stumble into an early end. In my current run, I've been playing for about 15 hours or so, and I've yet to find a hacksaw. Yet, there are items everywhere which require one for me to deconstruct into useful parts. I also lacked a whetstone, tools or cleaning kits for quite a while. I managed to persevere without, but RNG is a factor into your experience, so you may not find yourself as comfortable as I was.

And comfort is the key word here. With 22 hours in the game total, I've decided to shelf the game. I think it's probably the best survival game there is, with perhaps exception to Arma 3 mods or a community-run version of DayZ. It honestly wowed me that I felt compelled to play as long as I did, and I imagine for fans of the genre, they'll have a lot more meat to chew on than my frail and withered bones could offer Mr. Winston Wolf. What has finally given me pause is that I'm actually afraid of dying at this point. With so many hours invested in this run, I don't know if I'd care to start all over again should the world see fit to strike me down. Again, this is an aspect of the game I think fans will enjoy, and is absolutely integral to the overarching credo of the game. I once locked myself out of a building and thought I was trapped on a part of the map I never knew was even there. I spent two in-game days in a total panic, trying to think about where I was relative to the rest of the map, and where I could possibly go to get back to my established base. Without the threat of losing everything, this situation wouldn't have been nearly as harrowing as it felt at the time. But, I'm hanging up my Winter Coat Pro and deerskin boots now, before such a fate falls upon me. I never did find a living Canadian to help me, either.

Guess I'm waiting on Firewatch for now, then.
Good stuff. I do want to play it but still waiting for it to be "complete". Not like it's going anywhere, waiting in my library.

*goes check piratebay, the most mainstream of all pirate sites*

*Witness has a single torrent, with 16 seeds and 19 peers*

Blow, I think your fear of piracy might have been a bit... overBlown.
david-caruso-sunglasses_400_260_c1_center_top_0_0.jpg

He's wrong, but he's not totally wrong.
The Witness is popular, but not #1 popular, it's #6 with 1604 leech and 797 seeds.

The first two are
Fallout 4.

Hektor

people are probably pirating the witness because it is more expensive than it should be and is overpriced.. Jonathan Blow is one person and he made the game and is asking 40 dollars, while Ubisoft has like 1200 people working on one title and they ask 60. I don't believe in math but 120 divided by 6 is a better deal than 40 divided by 1

it's science

This is not how it works.
The correct formular reads as following.

Gameprice in Euro : (Singleplayer Gametime +( Multiplayer Gametime : 2))

The Witness is 40€ and got a playtime of 100 hours according to blow.
40:100 = 0.4€ per hour.

Assassins Creed Syndicate costs 60 Bucks and got a playtime of up to 55 hours according to howlongtobeat.

60:55 = 1.09€ per hour.

Therefore The Witness got the far superior price-performance ratio ozzy.
That's a real formular used by a real gamingside.

Turfster

My little old box that could is doing about 25-40 fps on Lara with everything turned on to max, except for a few annoying chokes during cutscenes.

Tizoc

I realize now why I hadn't been seeing Milamber around recently;
He must've discovered THOSE new trends of Korean Manhwas :V

I think being a fan of games like FTL and the Lovecraftian mythos helps.

don't bother, it requires intellect and patience so I'm not sure if it's you're kind of thing

Ice cold.

why don't you try it? it's free to start

It might be too "niche" for him. ;)

time, time is precious! even more precious than free stuff

Gotta use that time to catch fish in Trails SC and post screenshots of it...

Blow? I swear, he's the driving force behind that statistic where 94.68% of statistics are made up.

Glad you think so.

I think most people like it most because it's probably the most action packed entry in the series, which is exactly why I don't like it (y'know, besides the supporting cast being annoying and unlikeable, the method of storytelling, the terrible boss fights, and the steroid & HGH addict papa smurfs in an alternate dimension).

All things considered though, I really liked TR2013, to the point where it was tied with the best if not slightly in front of Uncharted for me... so the new game has high expectations to live up to.

And holy schnikes at 103 achievements!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom