• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

Little old boxes are packing 970s these days?

My 660 weeps and cowers in shame, seeking your pity.

I think I might replay TR2013 this weekend - bit swept up in the Lara hype (assuming The Division beta is going to be largely unplayable for me too).

Really wish the Steam activity feed had a setting for either (1) not showing any screenshots at all or (2) being able to disable screenshots on a game by game basis...

The flood of RotTR shots (some showing things I haven't seen that would've been cool to discover when I had time to play it but weren't marked as spoilers) is quite annoying currently.

Uzzy

I'm not surprised by the Oxenfree sales. It seemed like I was literally the only person in this thread who bought it. Hopefully it works up to Swapper levels of appreciation eventually.

Well I bought it. I'm hoping it has a long tail and good word of mouth.

That's why you push the limits in other means, like resolution and framerate. You can easily bring even a couple of 980 Ti's to heir knees if you wanted to, Here's an example, since the first screenshots of a near final build were shown some folks were baffled by some 'weird aliasing' which to me looked more over like straight up shader aliasing that even a post AA solution isn't going to do much. So it was quite noticeable in the game on Xbone and I remembered a scene where it was quite prominent and just got their on PC. Here's the results...

So as you can see on the wooden spears you've got signifcant aliasing compared to the rest of the scene @ 1920x1080. Just bumping the resolution to 3840x2160 isn't enough to quash it even. To make a meaningful impact in both static shots and in motion I had to go to 3840x2160 with 4xSSAA on top and even then it's not absolutely temporally stable. Was tempted to fire up DSR to 7680x4320 with SSAA on top but I could imagine things going pop! But if you look at the top left and see my framerates I was getting, 1920x1080 was 60, 3840x2160 was around 30 and 3840x2160 with SSAA was brought down to 14. But we're in the realms of diminishing returns for all but the diehard IQ fanatics.

Oh for sure, you can always push the limits by upping the resolution, and you've got a great example of what benefits you can bring by doing that there. I should get a new monitor at some point to properly utilise the hardware I've got too.

It's just exciting to new tech, new settings and the like that aren't really built for today's hardware, but built for the future. The TressFX stuff in TR2013 was that for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I hear ya - I recently 'upgraded' to the 660 from a 5850 (my PC is ~6 years old or so).

#teamoldschool

My CPU is coming up on it's 5th birthday and it's been rock solid in nearly everything I've thrown at it. It's an 8-core FX-8150. Of course it being an AMD there isn't that much of a compelling reason, even now, to upgrade it.

Monooboe

Probably just going to buy just one game next month, not sure if it should be The Witness or Firewatch, one hell of a hard decision.

Nabs

Really wish the Steam activity feed had a setting for either (1) not showing any screenshots at all or (2) being able to disable screenshots on a game by game basis...

The flood of RotTR shots (some showing things I haven't seen that would've been cool to discover when I had time to play it but weren't marked as spoilers) is quite annoying currently.

You can get rid of screenshots by editing your friend activity settings: http://steamcommunity.com/my/blotteredit

dot

yeah that would be nice

i often have to scroll really fast if it's something i have yet to play that's story heavy

You can get rid of screenshots by editing your friend activity settings: http://steamcommunity.com/my/blotteredit

huh, cool

now let us do it on individual games valve

yeah that would be nice

i often have to scroll really fast if it's something i have yet to play that's story heavy

huh, cool

now let us do it on individual games valve

I was thinking of making a Greasemonkey script to do this. It would only work on the web though, not in the client.

My CPU is coming up on it's 5th birthday and it's been rock solid in nearly everything I've thrown at it. It's an 8-core FX-8150. Of course it being an AMD there isn't that much of a compelling reason, even now, to upgrade it.

Oh wow. My CPU is Q2 2011 too. I didn't realize it was as old as it is at all. I wish it was a little more snappy, but it works really well for my needs.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't think I ever replied back to this thread, but it ended up taking 5 days to get my response from Steam support.

Popstar

My old Phenom II X6 1065T isn't as out of place as I'd thought.

That said, I just got my shipping notice for my NCASE M1 so time for a new build soon. Although part of me wants to hold off until a little later in the year when all this USB-C/DP1.3/TB3/etc. stuff has sorted itself out a bit more.

RotTR is such a beauty..

My old Phenom II X6 1065T isn't as out of place as I'd thought.

That said, I just got my shipping notice for my NCASE M1 so time for a new build soon. Although part of me wants to hold off until a little later in the year when all this USB-C/DP1.3/TB3/etc. stuff has sorted itself out a bit more.

I'm still throwing the newest games to my PhenomII x4 955 BE. :D

Khronico

ModBot said:
Instructions for Khronico:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Khronico, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Space Run -- MB-38D81CA9D2017221 - Taken by Shantom
Pix the Cat -- MB-31082C7799801F34 - Taken by GaussTek
Final Exam -- MB-0CC1AFDDFCC50DC0 - Taken by UnderWaterTree
Yesterday -- MB-CA9AA2D28DF10225 - Taken by neonglow

Mars: War Logs looks just like the type of eurojank I'm into.

AHA-Lambda

Eh, RotTR is pretty underwhelming so far

I shouldn't be surprised after TR2013 but I expected more after all the praise this one got, like a UC1 to 2 jump or something.

gelf

I hear ya - I recently 'upgraded' to the 660 from a 5850 (my PC is ~6 years old or so).

#teamoldschool

I'm in the same boat, I also have a 660. Just a couple of years ago I was still scraping by using a GTS250. My CPU is still an i7 860 which must be 6-7 years old at this point, best hardware I ever bought.

totalrecalleyepop_zpsd8fbfecc.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pix the Cat -- MB-6B12FD9CE3419DC0 - Taken by anastef
Mars: War Logs -- MB-273611D86CA2EB8C - Taken by nightstorm

Eh, RotTR is pretty underwhelming so far

I shouldn't be surprised after TR2013 but I expected more after all the praise this one got, like a UC1 to 2 jump or something.

UnCharted, eh?
And sure there was a jump... backwards... in terms of quality with that game.

But if you didn't like TR2013, I don't know that they'd change enough to make you like TR2013-2. :lol

Dsyndrome

Getting 1080P, 45-60FPS in RotTR on my 980M depending on what's showing, Purehair and everything else on, AF at 4x and the only lower thing is Dynamic Foliage set to Medium. Not too shabby, I can live with that.
Thanks, Windows, for shutting down Tomb Raider because I was "out of memory" without any warning!
It's only doing what's best for you, should talk to Cortana about it.

...There is a setting for disabling screenshots.

does TR play well with kb/m or should I use a controller anyways?

Most things are better with a controller. ;)

Considering the game was originally released on X1, I would think controller would be go to here, as well... but maybe He-Who-Uses-KB/M-Because-Oldschool-And-Mutant-Claw (cough)Turfster(cough) could weigh in for you.

Wow, people are already platinum'ing The Witness...
I'm not sure if that's as impressive as I first thought when I saw it, but still... it's only been out for like 48 hours or something now, right?

Teggy

It will be kind of sad if the Witness bombs because Blow didn't price it according to expectations. Even without judging it based on content or budget, $40 is a weird price psychologically. The only thing I can think of that comes out at that price these days is 3DS games. I bet if he priced it at $20 he would have sold a ton of copies and more than made up the difference in volume.

I guess we'll see. Could see it on Humble Bundle before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom