• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

I've always wondered if Cities XXL is worth it. I know XL is decent but I feel it's obsolete with Cities Skylines around.

It's basically a reskin of XL's user interface.
As far as I can remember, the only thing it got right over Cities: Skylines is the possibility of "painting"/filling zones inside roads. Everything else is just plain bad.

Kuroyume

Banned
https://www.facebook.com/8bitsalute/app/169921956544141/

Do stuff for a free game

Need 250 points to win a game of this list:

10 second Ninja
3d Realms Anthology
AI War Collection
Banner Saga Deluxe
Bionic Dues
Capsule
Chains
Concursion
Defense Grid 2
Dishonored
Dream
Echo Prime
Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Evolve
Fallout 3
Fallout 4
Fallout New Vegas
Flying Tigers
Frontline Tactics
Guns of Icarus
Hero Academy
Hive Complete
Insurgency
Interstellar Marines
Killing Floor 2
Larva Mortus
Monday Night Combat
Montagues Mount
Nether
Nikopol
Not the Robots
Octodad
Orbitalis
Orcs Must Die
Orcs Must Die 2
Over 9000 Zombies
Rhiannon Curse of the Four Branches
Richard and Alice
RIP Trilogy
Rising Storm 2
Runners
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Returns
Shattered Planet
Shen
Silent Age
Skyrim
Skyward Collapse
Space Chem
Space Chem
SpeedRunners
Starlight Tactics
Super Meat Boy
Tango Fiesta
The Evil Within
The Last Federation
The Novelist
The Shopkeeper
Valley Without Wind
Vanguard Princess
We Are Legion
Wolfenstein The New Blood
Wolfenstein The New Order

I got AI War Collection. Didn't have it so that's cool.

Dr Dogg

5yKMm56.jpg

Uplay 1 Steam 0

Speaking of The Division here's what it looks like and a mixture of settings near the top (and running out of VRAM thank to starting up at maximum available DSR resolution).
So while there's a few settings to tweak a bit further up it's not the same level as the initial reveal trailer. Plus that CA is even enough to make me nauseous. But I get the feeling the console folks might be even more bent out of shape once they see it as the XO in comparison looks really washed out as well as lower effects fidelity.

Anyhoo cheers for the teamwork dex.

Anteater

that dude with a machine gun on the roof in the first mission is kicking my ass in the division :V

the game scales pretty well to my mid range card

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Insurgency -- MB-E87C6D3E3BE22ACA

t1454075651z1.png

patapuf

Really? I'm still getting TR2013 vibes from it largely, except this time there is crafting cos of course there has to be a crafting system >_>

For better or worse, ROTR is TR2013 but bigger in all aspects.

It has more platforming, better secret tombs, less qtes and similar combat but it also has more pointless collectibles, more crafting and more terrible story.

IF you sorta liked TR13 in a "i'll play through it once" kind off way it's quite a bit better than that but it's also not a return to the old games.

derExperte

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Rising Storm / Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer -- MB-05D8CEF8344EABDC

Dr Dogg

that dude with a machine gun on the roof in the first mission is kicking my ass in the division :V

the game scales pretty well to my mid range card

I think the first time I did that mission solo I died about 4 or 5 times at rank 4. Booked out and went exploring, found a kick arse sniper rifle and when I went back he didn't even get off the roof. It's way easier with a team though as you're not getting rushed by the crazies and can pin down the mid range guys from overwhelming you on the flanks.

Deques

No idea what game I got from the giveaway and it seems I got it already
ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deques, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Vd1j7n6.png

mystery game -- MB-005EF3043ACC811F - Taken by crazyrabbits

AHA-Lambda

For better or worse, ROTR is TR2013 but bigger in all aspects.

It has more platforming, better secret tombs, less qtes and similar combat but it also has more pointless collectibles, more crafting and more terrible story.

IF you sorta liked TR13 in a "i'll play thorug it once" kind off way it's quite a bit better than that but it's also not a return to the old games.

I do think it is better than TR2013 but it's not a high bar, only thing I can say I find a net positive over TR2013 is the more open nature of the platforming/exploration and combat. But at the same time it has a million pointless collectibles and a tacked on crafting system. Much like its predecessor it feels very design by committee.

The bolded was pretty much my impression of TR2013 and seems so far as much my impression of RotTR. Happy I didn't pay anymore for it.

Pachimari

I got a question. If I take a screenshot of a game with the "print screen" key, can I take screenshots continuously, or will it replace the old one with the new screen grab?

Never used x360ce, but I'm curious about his functioning. The application is only needed to create the configuration and .dll files right? From what I've understand, it uses the classic "wrapper" method using a custom .dll with a config files (that remaps the buttons I suppose)?
I got a question. If I take a screenshot of a game with the "print screen" key, can I take screenshots continuously, or will it replace the old one with the new screen grab?
It's replaced

rtcn63

RoTR is looking like the Far Cry 4 to Far Cry 3. The same/better core gameplay, but so much other shit for the sake of it. You don't feel at all rewarded for picking things up, it become a downright chore.

dex3108

Yeap friend of mine, Dogg and i had a nice session in The Division. Zero deaths and only time one of us was down was when i fall down through elevator shaft instead using rope XD All and all Division is fun to play with friends, map is not that small. Only question is for how long it will remain fun.

So me and my friend want to do a bit of light PC gaming. Nothing crazy as I'm playing on a Surface Pro 4 and his desktop is pretty old. We both just really like RTS, or similar strategy games. I made him buy AoE2 which he really likes, and we both got Civ V on sale.

I'm a little bummed out to see that the RTS genre is pretty dead, but I'd love some recommendations. Cheap/on sale is greatly preferred. I don't think I'd spend more than $20 on any game right now. But that's the beauty of Steam right?

Thanks!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you talking about Evverybody's Gone to the Rapture? Cause that was not a "fuck the fans" thing.

It kindasorta was. TCR partnered with Sony because it merely assumed it would not make enough money from a crowdfunding campaign to finish development and in doing so had to step back from the original intention to release the game on the PC. There would have been far less controversy surrounding the partnership if TCR had attempted an ultimately ill-fated crowdfunding campaign then struck a deal with Sony.

So me and my friend want to do a bit of light PC gaming. Nothing crazy as I'm playing on a Surface Pro 4 and his desktop is pretty old. We both just really like RTS, or similar strategy games. I made him buy AoE2 which he really likes, and we both got Civ V on sale.

I'm a little bummed out to see that the RTS genre is pretty dead, but I'd love some recommendations. Cheap/on sale is greatly preferred. I don't think I'd spend more than $20 on any game right now. But that's the beauty of Steam right?

Thanks!
Humble Firaxis Bundle, get XCOM: Enemy Unknown for 1 dollar.

Dr Dogg

Yeap friend of mine, Dogg and i had a nice session in The Division. Zero deaths and only time one of us was down was when i fall down through elevator shaft instead using rope XD All and all Division is fun to play with friends, map is not that small. Only question is for how long it will remain fun.

I thought I accidentally pushed you off!

The map does seem to be quite dense, as in there's a fair few building you can explore over multiple levels as well as some you can go rooftop to rooftop and there's sewers and tube stations underground to explore as well. After we did that story mission those other two we bumped into (help out the JTF guys and rescue hostages) are the more repeatable side missions rather than the bigger ones. Some have you looking at a holographic representation of an event when the virus started to spread and end up being like an Arkham game crime scene or AC murder mystery. While others have you activating machines to clear out a contaminated area in a set amount of time. There's also something like the ctOS towers from Watch_Dogs where you need to traverse to a certain object, clear out the faction enemies and activate the macguffin.

So yeah there's potential there but it's just how much content there will be in the full game is my main gripe now. PC performance was great and surprisingly no Uplay server issues either.

dex3108

I thought I accidentally pushed you off!

The map does seem to be quite dense, as in there's a fair few building you can explore over multiple levels as well as some you can go rooftop to rooftop and there's sewers and tube stations underground to explore as well. After we did that story mission those other two we bumped into (help out the JTF guys and rescue hostages) are the more repeatable side missions rather than the bigger ones. Some have you looking at a holographic representation of an event when the virus started to spread and end up being like an Arkham game crime scene or AC murder mystery. While others have you activating machines to clear out a contaminated area in a set amount of time. There's also something like the ctOS towers from Watch_Dogs where you need to traverse to a certain object, clear out the faction enemies and activate the macguffin.

So yeah there's potential there but it's just how much content there will be in the full game as my main gripe now. PC performance was great and surprisingly not Uplay server issues either.

Nah sun was hitting my screen so i couldn't see the rope and i just went down :D For me this is good way to talk wit your friends while you are roaming around the map and now and then do some mission. Also we didn't used headphones so there wasn't that much coordination in attacks but there were some fun moments where one or two would suppress attack while other person finds better position.

One thing that is still in game but not visually impressive as in E3 demo is destruction. If it is glass you can break it, books, bottles, concrete blocks... Almost everything is destructible and bullet holes are nice. Also game has stronger recoil then some FPS games XD

One thing is sure, don't play this game alone!!! It is way better with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom