• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I looked back at what I played this year. My list is going to be kind of funny for GoTY.
welcome to the club, it was rather lonely here

I haven't said anything as I feel Nine will decapitate me for saying anything but, I stated recently that I like the writing (mostly) and music in it but, the gameplay does nothing for me. Watching it is more entertaining to me.

Jazz573

Actually I looked back at what I played this year. My list is going to be kind of funny for GoTY.

I haven't said anything as I feel Nine will decapitate me for saying anything but, I stated recently that I like the writing (mostly) and music in it but, the gameplay does nothing for me. Watching it is more entertaining to me.

Correct. And so will I. :p

the problem with being cheap and having a backlog is that you find yourself rarely playing any games from the current year. Looking at my top 5 Steam GOTYs for 2015 I only played through 7 games released on Steam in 2015

So, sorry Her Story and Undertale, y'all gonna have to sit this one out.

I only killed the vegetable thing, I ate it.

The game is just not that funny.

found it to have a couple of laugh out loud moments but, yeah, I agree that it was overhyped to hell and back. The soundtrack was good, the meta game stuff was clever, and the battle system is clever but also tedious if you go through a pacifist run.

Not a bad game at all but people really made that game out to be something that it wasn't

jdw_b

Dragons Dogma is only £18 at Gamesplanet

I didn't even know about it till I read all the hype threads. Now I neeeed it

a friend of mine found this on the Pony island game. It's some keys the dev inserted on the game. some there are valid. i didnt have luck finding one not used, but maybe you guys can :)
Zp0HXku.jpg

Arthea

my two worst steam purchases based on hype:
1. Gone Home (can't be beaten probably, as I see it as total waste of money and time, I should have waited for a bundle to find that out, tho)
2. Undertale (not really bad or anything, but does absolutely nothing for me, like I would have been playing about anything else but it)

not even kidding, at least Undertale partly paid for itself, because of those insane market prices, and it's not horrid.

but I'm so done with hype when I have my suspicions, I had in both cases... and we'll see is Life is Strange won't join that list when I'll finally get around to playing it.

now let's get back to good things, so far very little lists were posted, Turf won't even be mildly annoyed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has inXile said anything regarding when Bard Tale 4's alpha period will begin? At USD$105 for alpha access, it'll actually be the most expensive game I've ever bought.

Trying to run KOTOR 1 on a modern PC is frustrating..

The widescreen fix is not always work. And when I think it's working, it crashes after a few hours and I have to to validate the game client from steam because somehow a file is corrupted. Rinse and repeate.

Ban Puncher

a friend of mine found this on the Pony island game. It's some keys the dev inserted on the game. some there are valid. i didnt have luck finding one not used, but maybe you guys can :)

I tried most of the fourth row until Steam told me to bugger off because I used too many unsuccessful code attempts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

neoemonk

The widescreen fix is not always work. And when I think it's working, it crashes after a few hours and I have to to validate the game client from steam because somehow a file is corrupted. Rinse and repeate.

I got it free on my phone but I haven't tried to run it yet. I was actually thinking about firing it up just to see what it was like.

it's really weird that they went all out to update KOTOR2 but didn't do the same for KOTOR1. I mean that's a lot of the same tech and stuff, it just strikes me as a weird thing to not do.

yuraya

Yea it was such a mess for me too. But the hassle is worth it. The game is so good. Its the second best Bioware game after Mass Effect 2.

Arthea

Has inXile said anything regarding when Bard Tale 4's alpha period will begin? At USD$105 for alpha access, it'll actually be the most expensive game I've ever bought.

dang Jasec, why would you do it? Is this alpha +1 or something?

Kriken

Can't be worse than running on a laptop where having grass on literally makes the game unplayable

Sarcasm

Works out the same here. GMG is £23.99 so 25% drops it down to £18.

Ah cool. GAF generosity shining through. I'll give this a go

If not I think i'll just wait a few months, got a lot to play

Can try to find some one with a GMG 27% voucher.

So it's the same for everyone?
Somewhat I feel a bit better that it's not an issue of my PC. :/
I enjoyed the game immensely on my old pc & crt monitor (rip) about a decade ago. I just can't believe that it would be this hard to run the game right now.

Tizoc

Works out the same here. GMG is £23.99 so 25% drops it down to £18.

Ah cool. GAF generosity shining through. I'll give this a go

If not I think i'll just wait a few months, got a lot to play

Was gonna bring up my giveaway and about GMG. Sucks to see that you can't get it in the USD price of $22.50 :/

Inxile won't his alpha with Bard's Tale till sometime late 2017 at the earliest. Torment: Tides of Numenera was suppose to ship Dec 2014 and they are only just hitting alpha with that project.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Playing Life is Strange, on the second episode. No matter which choice you make, the game makes sure you feel bad about it

jdw_b

Was gonna bring up my giveaway and about GMG. Sucks to see that you can't get it in the USD price of $22.50 :/

I'll survive!

I started buying on Steam last month and have 47 games now, i'll be busy for a while

Playing Life is Strange, on the second episode. No matter which choice you make, the game makes sure you feel bad about it

Yeah it's set-up to try and make you second guess every decision you make, especially Max's little quips of dialogue after each choice. I've stuck with my decisions so far, I don't want to change how my story is playing out for the sake of it

I couldn't find any gamepad setting for making Max Payne 3 work well with the Steam Controller. Had to switch back to the 360 pad.

I dont know what it is about the MP games but they always feel off when played with a controller. I always feel like i'm missing something or not playing it right

neoemonk

I honestly don't know if I played five games that came out in 2015. I'll have to look through my Backloggery, which I'm very fastidious about updating, although I still need to add my Steam sale games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's why I asked, the games are considered separate releases on Steam.
I mean, is Trails in the Sky episodic? Can't vote until 3rd is out then haha

Trails in the Sky SC is a completely different game and isn't considered episodic. Same is true with Higurashi. Personally I consider "Episodic games" to be ones that are sold on Steam as a complete package (single app) but with content released at different times. Could be a long timeframe, like a few months between episodes of Life is Strange, or a week between episodes like Resident Evil Revelations 2.

Do I have to have beaten a game to vote for it for GOTY?

Nope. I was thinking originally I'd set up a web redemption page that would link to your Steam account and check for stuff like this, but decided that people should be able to vote for what they want to win, even if they haven't beaten it or...

Well, Witcher 3 will be on my list even though I haven't beaten it yet and I actually own it on GOG.

...because of stuff like this, which is totally okay. I'd ask that any game you list be one that you've actually played, but I won't be checking that or anything.

I honestly don't know if I played five games that came out in 2015. I'll have to look through my Backloggery, which I'm very fastidious about updating, although I still need to add my Steam sale games.

It's also perfectly acceptable to vote for less than 5 games. Last year we had several people who only voted for one game on their ballot.

I see the line for cheap RotTR NVIDIA keys has already started in the BST thread before keys are even out...lol

I'm not surprised since that's how I plan to get it but I'll wait until I see how the game runs before putting money on it

UltraJay

I just like how clever Undertale is. I wish I could have experienced it without hearing everybody going crazy about it. Reminds me that I need to play LISA. At least that game I can experience without already knowing a key surprise
(that in Undertale you shouldn't kill monsters, but then the trailer says that!)

The battle quotes are the best but... man, that bear in Snowdin Town? I don't know how spoiler this is but when he says
"Snowdin has no mayor, but if there's ever trouble, a skeleton will tell a fish lady about it. Thaaaat's politics!"
Gets me every time.

Battle quotes that really did it for me:
*Undyne suplexes a boulder... just because she can.* (The rest of her battle status lines are all anime hero-like)

"That was my special blue attack! You're blue now!"
*You're blue now.*

(secret enemy that I found on Genecide run when low on HP)
*Glide is dying, but in a cool way.*

"Dogs can pet other dogs? This changes everything!"

"Anime is like cartoons... but with swords."

Everything the burger joint guy and the girls in the back alley say.

Not laugh out loud funny, but enough for me to enjoy my time. The fact that it is so short is also a plus. I can see why people might not like it but it isn't like it is trying to be a comedy game or anything.

Arthea

so that means I can leave Higurashi on my GOTY list?
Thanks jshackles! It totally would have been wrong not to have it there.

Seriously? Denuvo will get cracked sooner or later.
But provided it does get cracked later, there will be less and less motivation to make a quick sale, so yeah, average discount will drop even further.

well, there are other incentives, people that are undecided, poor people, you know. You make it sound that only ability to pirate games make discounts desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom