• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more 50%+ discounts in two years.

That's cool, i've enough of a backlog to last me for many, many years and at this rate i'm not playing any current games anyway so they'll still be cheaper a year or two after release when i get around to them. I've close to 800 games in various libraries and i'm mainly a PC gamer so prices are cheaper than consoles even for new releases anyway.

Dragon's Dogma is £23 for example and i'm sure i'll get my enjoyment out of it.

Of course this may change in two years but by then i won't care and there's plenty of smaller & indie devs releasing great content at non-AAA prices which i doubt will stop soon.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Gift #2 -- MB-850522E66D325BBE - Taken by Large Professor
Mystery Gift -- MB-53FD0B9B0C44F838 - Taken by gurm3n

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Inxile won't his alpha with Bard's Tale till sometime late 2017 at the earliest. Torment: Tides of Numenera was suppose to ship Dec 2014 and they are only just hitting alpha with that project.

Torment's alpha access period kicked off last August:

tormentalphaw6ysj.jpg

dang Jasec, why would you do it? Is this alpha +1 or something?

That's the case with Torment, so I would assume so.

Whoah, whoah, whoah! Is the Torment Alpha an invite thing or do i have an email somewhere i really need to read? I might not go for Alpha/Beta Torment so i can go in fresh and eager.

Torment and CyberPunk 2077 are my most anticipated games.

yuraya

So it's the same for everyone?
Somewhat I feel a bit better that it's not an issue of my PC. :/
I enjoyed the game immensely on my old pc & crt monitor (rip) about a decade ago. I just can't believe that it would be this hard to run the game right now.

The thing that stopped the constant crashing for me was to first run the game. When you are in the main menu tab out and go run the fix in flawless widescreen. Then go back into the game and go into options where you change the rez. That worked for me and also make sure to turn off movies. Just watch them on youtube. The audio in them seems to fuck up modern day audio drivers which cause lots of crashes. Make sure to save a lot so you don't lose progress.

Its a nightmare and Bioware needs to patch/fix the game. Its really sad because there are so many people in the steam community discussions who are begging for a support patch similar to the one Obsidian did for KOTOR2.

Here is the thread for it. It has over 1300 requests.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/32370/discussions/0/535151589882664874/

Are the losses thanks to piracy still big enough for a publisher to buy sth. like Denuvo and do publishers think people will really buy their games, just because of some DRM?
I mean especially nowadays in a time where you have hundreds of alternatives, thousands of games to play.

I see the line for cheap RotTR NVIDIA keys has already started in the BST thread before keys are even out...lol

I'm not surprised since that's how I plan to get it but I'll wait until I see how the game runs before putting money on it

it's a Square Enix western release, it'll be had for $15ish by the summer

ive yet to see a SE western release not drop in price rather fast after release

Shadownet

Banned
Someone explain to me why we're so hype for Dragon's Dogma again? (This is coming from someone who played a total of 10 mins of the original game)

The thing that stopped the constant crashing for me was to first run the game. When you are in the main menu tab out and go run the fix in flawless widescreen. Then go back into the game and go into options where you change the rez. That worked for me and also make sure to turn off movies. Just watch them on youtube. The audio in them seems to fuck up modern day audio drivers which cause lots of crashes. Make sure to save a lot so you don't lose progress.

Its a nightmare and Bioware needs to patch/fix the game. Its really sad because there are so many people in the steam community discussions who are begging for a support patch similar to the one Obsidian did for KOTOR2.

Here is the thread for it. It has over 1300 requests.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/32370/discussions/0/535151589882664874/

I have to run the game first and exit for the fix to work. But somehow it doesn't work sometims. I'll try to turn off the movies and see if it'll help, thanks!

But yeah, it's weird that they went with KOTOR 2 first but not this one. Perhaps it's harder because it's basically an older game?

Annubis

I don't want to buy Just Cause 3.
I don't even want to pirate it.
I wouldn't even play it if someone invited me to their home and said "Hey, I have JC3, wanna try it?"
That's how little I am interested in that game.

See! DRM works.

Someone explain to me why we're so hype for Dragon's Dogma again? (This is coming from someone who played a total of 10 mins of the original game)

It's a great game that had major performance and graphic sacrifices on PS3/360 that never got a PC port, now there is one, so people are excited to play a fun game with better graphics and performance.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
That's so beautiful...
... and I want it on PC, Tetris has to be on PC, it just has to!

Funny thing is the Ubisoft Tetris release on Steam some weeks ago was the reason I purchased this in the first place... the disappointment was just too much and I needed a good Tetris back in my life

garath

I'm looking forward to dragons dogma for the performance. It ran horribly on the ps3 and even worse on mine. I had artifacts all over the textures. I suspect my launch 60gig ps3 is finally giving up the ghost. It has been relegated to a blu Ray player for a couple years now anyways.

I don't look forward to the long long walks to get places but I'm hoping the port stones will solve that. I don't think I got far enough initially to get those going.

Humble Indie rerererererebundle 4: BIT.TRIP RUNNER, Jamestown, NightSky, Shank, Super Meat Boy.
I'm not 100% confident the RoR key works, sorry if it doesn't.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Humble Indie Bundle #4 Steam Key -- MB-3B94D30B1276E95A - Taken by Costa1774. 7 entrants total.
Risk of Rain -- MB-03CE16B13234D890 - Taken by bloke. 2 entrants total.

t1452104275z1.png

FloatOn

guys this seems kind of awesome. thoughts?

http://www.cnet.com/products/razer-blade-stealth/

razer-blade-stealth-01.jpg

apparently you can hook up any graphics card to this box and then connect to this laptop for added performance. the article says it's not a new idea but this apparently is the best implementation of it so far.

I kind of like the idea of modular components.

edit - also I know it's Razer and they have a horrible reputation but interesting idea is interesting you know

Trying to run KOTOR 1 on a modern PC is frustrating..

The widescreen fix is not always work. And when I think it's working, it crashes after a few hours and I have to to validate the game client from steam because somehow a file is corrupted. Rinse and repeate.
Which OS are you using? I had no problems running it on Windows 7.

I know, I wasn't 100% serious. I could make a case for FC+SC being two episodes of one game though

They aren't episodic in the way Episodic games are. Episodic games aren't 40 and 80 hour JRPGs. Episodic games aren't that long comparatively and come out much faster than direct sequels.

Are you gonna sit here and tell me Halo is 1-3 (especially the way Halo 2 ended) is an episodic game?

Arthea

They aren't episodic in the way Episodic games are. Episodic games aren't 40 and 80 hour JRPGs. Episodic games aren't that long comparatively and come out much faster than direct sequels.

Are you gonna sit here and tell me Halo is 1-3 (especially the way Halo 2 ended) is an episodic game?

guys, you know what a sequel is, right?
just checking

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
No one is even selling them yet, people are just posting wtb offers for some reason
It's wishful thinking, mostly.
$20 might be unrealisticly cheap but eh, what the hell. I see no harm in asking.

I wouldn't have guessed it last month, I still don't know how I feel about the reboot, but i'm getting pretty excited for Rise of the Tomb Raider. I've heard great stuff from XBone owners and it looks artistically incredible. Besides, I adore anything to do with treasure hunts and historical legends.
That, Dragon's Dogma and A Boy And His Blob in the same month...
Good times. And a great start for 2016. :)

We'll find out in 20 minutes how incredibly expensive the Rift is going to be

I sense a bloodbath coming
It'll be worth every glorious penny. Hopefully they really are going to never run out as they say, I'm signing a lease on an apartment tomorrow so I'm about to be out over a grand so I'm going to wait it out for a bit sadly.

My experiences with DK1 and 2 and the tiny demos made for those have convinced me VR is the next big thing though. It's truly unbelievable and the reactions of my friends and family who never play games and still managed to be blown away make me think it could really hit it off.

Wouldn't the Mass Effect games also be episodic by that definition?

Not sure, only played the first one :p
As I said before I'm just curious if there is a accepted definition of what makes a game "episodic". Time between releases, length of episodes, all episodes planned before release are all factors I guess?
I know what a sequel is and I know what a game that has a cliffhanger ending and a direct sequel is and I know what an episodic game is.

I don't know if Yian does.

I'm just asking if there is an accepted definition or if it's wishy-washy and an episodic game is one where the dev says it's one. I don't think your snarky tone is needed here
Genuinely just curious what people think makes a game episodic.

Echoplx

It's wishful thinking, mostly.
$20 might be unrealisticly cheap but eh, what the hell. I see no harm in asking.

I wouldn't have guessed it last month, I still don't know how I feel about the reboot, but i'm getting pretty excited for Rise of the Tomb Raider. I've heard great stuff from XBone owners and it looks artistically incredible. Besides, I adore anything to do with treasure hunts and historical legends.
That, Dragon's Dogma and A Boy And His Blob in the same month...
Good times. And a great start for 2016. :)

Well now sellers know there is lots of demand so they will definitely not sell it for so little. Good works guys you ruined everything.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Well now sellers know there is lots of demand so they will definitely not sell it for so little. Good works guys you ruined everything.
Your welcome.
Gotta keep those dollars rolling.

I'm just asking if there is an accepted definition or if it's wishy-washy and an episodic game is one where the dev says it's one. I don't think your snarky tone is needed here
Genuinely just curious what people think makes a game episodic.

In my opinion, in recent years an episodic game is a game that get's another part within a few months of each other tops. Usually trying to end itself before 12 months is up.

That's just form what I seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom