• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakkue

Gather round kiddos...
While I'm not sure it was ever really a popular feature, it's time for another installment of "Hey Frost! Where ya been?"

So this happened. I'm hoping I can get it's damn hooks out of me and get back to playing some other games. I've done just about everything achievement related, outside of the 3 that are shown as locked which are for hitting the level cap (200... I'm at about 108 or so, I think.), doing a hard mode playthrough, and doing a speed run playthrough (both of which, I believe, can use your same save file, so I should be in good shape to do those at some point in time in the future, when I've had a good break from the game, I guess).

What'd I think of the game overall? Even with a ridiculous amount of hours sunk into it, I don't know that it lived up to the hype that people had built around the game when talking about the PS3 version. The combat is definitely the most polished aspect, I'd say, but this is expected since this game is what DMC team made after DMC4 (instead of making DMC5, leaving Capcom to go get NT to make DmC instead). The variety in classes is welcomed too, though I never spent much time in the fighter tier, I spent the majority of the hours clocked on the game switching between mage, strider, ranger, assassin, and magick archer... and each one played similar to those you would expect it to with enough variety in the vocation skills to make them feel unique and mostly worthwhile (except for assassin, I think, looking back on it).

Outside of that, a lot of stuff (outside of the enemy design) leaves a lot to be desired... there's a distinct lack of enemy variety until you either clear the "final" mission or you've beaten the DLC area (Bitterblack Isle) at least once... and then some of the enemies that show up are a bit ridiculous in terms of balance. Loot drops, particularly those from Bitterblack island can be a bit of a frustrating endeavor, as I've been trying to get the ring for the magick archer class that turns sixfold bolt into ninefold bolt (preferably with the bonus for explosive rivet as well) for what seems like forever... I wanted to get that and switch back to magick archer, but I ended up finishing the game out as a ranger instead and I *still* don't have that ring. I've read up on it and there are places people spend hours reopening chests to try to get the rare drops they covet... this type of loot system drives me nuts. And we haven't even gotten to the traversal yet... I'm not sure when Capcom added in the eternal ferrystone (nice touch) but the lack of being able to get enough portcrystals so you can set up warps in all the places you'd like them before getting to NG+ is a real bummer. An easier way to handle it would've been to allow for fast travel between discovered riftstones a la Dark Souls 2 bonfire fast travel, but alas, this is not an option.

Now it may sound like there's a lot of negativity there... and there is, I guess. But at the core of the game, there's just something that sinks its teeth into you; I imagine this is what people who get pulled into the vortex of an MMO feel like... I'd find myself saying "eh, I'll boot this game up and do a few quests, or try to get achievements x, y, and z, shouldn't take more than an hour." Then 4 hours later, I'm looking at the clock thinking "holy schnikes, have I really been playing that long? Oh, well, I should just finish up this last thing before I save and quit..." and you know what happens next.

It was a mostly enjoyable ride and I'm glad I finally got a chance to play this, as I've been waiting for the day Capcom would hopefully port it to PC with a stable framerate, as the horror stories of single digit dips had me steering clear of the game, even when I got it "free" through a PS+ subscription. The port is good and the core of the game is extremely well crafted, even if a bunch of the more superficial aspects of the game suffer because of it.

Amazing that you've managed to write all that without mentioning "Dragon's Dogma" even once ;)

dex3108

Stealth in TR is just bare bones. Only new thing about gameplay is that there is more ways to kill enemies. You can't knock them down or avoid them in most cases.

Have people tried Paladins yet? I mean, why isn't this game getting talked about more? Good PC developer (tribes, smite, global agenda), good genre (team-objective FPS, commonly referred to as "MOBA" lately), good gameplay/variety (although a bit light on content).

It is still in closed beta. Needs a lot more content but I'd imagine that is on the way. It has about the same content that overwatch had. I'm still surprised there isn't more hype surrounding this game, none that I have seen at least.

Granted, it isn't exactly a shining star of original ideas, however it is a very solid execution of combining themes or elements of FPS and MOBA.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
That piracy thread seems even more silly when Jonathan blow tweets stuff like this, glad it's locked now.

UDYhckB.png

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It's very high in the Steam charts, just not enough to fund a new game. Got it.

He said in some other tweets that he will be able to fund some other games (I think he has plans for 2, game 3 and game 4 and game 4 will probably come before game 3) and that the game is well on it's way to reach those $6 million he had in budget.

His original piracy tweet was both hyperbolic and straight up not true.

Gather round kiddos...
While I'm not sure it was ever really a popular feature, it's time for another installment of "Hey Frost! Where ya been?"

So this happened. I'm hoping I can get it's damn hooks out of me and get back to playing some other games. I've done just about everything achievement related, outside of the 3 that are shown as locked which are for hitting the level cap (200... I'm at about 108 or so, I think.), doing a hard mode playthrough, and doing a speed run playthrough (both of which, I believe, can use your same save file, so I should be in good shape to do those at some point in time in the future, when I've had a good break from the game, I guess).

What'd I think of the game overall? Even with a ridiculous amount of hours sunk into it, I don't know that it lived up to the hype that people had built around the game when talking about the PS3 version. The combat is definitely the most polished aspect, I'd say, but this is expected since this game is what DMC team made after DMC4 (instead of making DMC5, leaving Capcom to go get NT to make DmC instead). The variety in classes is welcomed too, though I never spent much time in the fighter tier, I spent the majority of the hours clocked on the game switching between mage, strider, ranger, assassin, and magick archer... and each one played similar to those you would expect it to with enough variety in the vocation skills to make them feel unique and mostly worthwhile (except for assassin, I think, looking back on it).

Outside of that, a lot of stuff (outside of the enemy design) leaves a lot to be desired... there's a distinct lack of enemy variety until you either clear the "final" mission or you've beaten the DLC area (Bitterblack Isle) at least once... and then some of the enemies that show up are a bit ridiculous in terms of balance. Loot drops, particularly those from Bitterblack island can be a bit of a frustrating endeavor, as I've been trying to get the ring for the magick archer class that turns sixfold bolt into ninefold bolt (preferably with the bonus for explosive rivet as well) for what seems like forever... I wanted to get that and switch back to magick archer, but I ended up finishing the game out as a ranger instead and I *still* don't have that ring. I've read up on it and there are places people spend hours reopening chests to try to get the rare drops they covet... this type of loot system drives me nuts. And we haven't even gotten to the traversal yet... I'm not sure when Capcom added in the eternal ferrystone (nice touch) but the lack of being able to get enough portcrystals so you can set up warps in all the places you'd like them before getting to NG+ is a real bummer. An easier way to handle it would've been to allow for fast travel between discovered riftstones a la Dark Souls 2 bonfire fast travel, but alas, this is not an option.

Now it may sound like there's a lot of negativity there... and there is, I guess. But at the core of the game, there's just something that sinks its teeth into you; I imagine this is what people who get pulled into the vortex of an MMO feel like... I'd find myself saying "eh, I'll boot this game up and do a few quests, or try to get achievements x, y, and z, shouldn't take more than an hour." Then 4 hours later, I'm looking at the clock thinking "holy schnikes, have I really been playing that long? Oh, well, I should just finish up this last thing before I save and quit..." and you know what happens next.

It was a mostly enjoyable ride and I'm glad I finally got a chance to play this, as I've been waiting for the day Capcom would hopefully port it to PC with a stable framerate, as the horror stories of single digit dips had me steering clear of the game, even when I got it "free" through a PS+ subscription. The port is good and the core of the game is extremely well crafted, even if a bunch of the more superficial aspects of the game suffer because of it.
This makes me wan to play it only that much more.
Typical scumbag Nvidia move per usual.
I sense the presence of an AMD user :)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Star Citizen and its single-player campaign, Squadron 42, to be sold separately from February 14

Your first hit is free. If you want to try Star Citizen out before spunking your life savings on an imaginary ship, Cloud Imperium are offering a Free Fly pass for every player for the next week.

The Free Fly pass grants full access to Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.2 which includes a condensed version of Star Citizen's persistent universe - with multiple space stations and environments, scripted missions, places to explore and more - its Arena Commander dogfighting mode, and the Social Module that shows off one of the many landing zones of the final game; a place to interact and chill with other players.

If you want to try it out, just head over to Star Citizen's registration page and set it up. Free Fly accounts will have access to the Hornet F7C military fighter, the Aurora LN starter and the Mustang Delta interceptor.

This Free Fly week is clearly a move to convince more players to pledge before Cloud Imperium split Star Citizen and its single player, Squadron 42, into two packages, essentially getting two games for the price of one.

"At the December livestream, we announced that Squadron 42 and Star Citizen will be split into two separate packages in the near future," says the blog update. "To update on this: the split will occur on February 14th.

"Squadron 42 will be available as either a standalone game or an optional addon for Star Citizen rather than be included by default. If you want to lock in both games for the lowest possible price, consider pledging before this deadline."

So if you've been sitting on the fence about Star Citizen, now seems like the best time to try it out.

I wonder how many copies Blow has to sell to break-even?

The game cost 6 mil to make and with a 40$ price tag - taxes - valve's cut, he probably makes around 20$ per copy. So around 300k at full price on PS4 + PC combined is my guess.

Zodzilla

That piracy thread seems even more silly when Jonathan blow tweets stuff like this, glad it's locked now.

Ugh, it irks me when people slap a "your game shouldn't be priced at $40" tag onto anything regarding The Witness. The game's design, from graphics to puzzles, is so intricate and complete in comparison to most that the point makes literally no sense, in my head.

I just completed Arkham Knight the day before The Witness, but with all the bang and bravado of that game, the repetitiveness of its missions and their design definitely didn't feel like it was worth a third of of the value of The Witness so far.

If Cliffy B once distilled games as being "30 seconds of a satisfying gameplay loop," something like The Witness is designed to operate on your own self imposed time limit in order to find satisfaction.

The piracy discussion aside, people asking him to "price it normally" just annoys me to no end.

Pretty barebones but it will do. Weird not to see them advertising any lobby features, hope they are better thought out than they were in SFIV.
I didn't see an option to watch others matches live but watching replays is there. While waiting for matches one can play in training mode and will get alerted when a match has been set up. That's neat.

Tizoc

Question about Rise of Tomb Raider:
How do I use the cards I got? One of them states I get all the gun upgrades. Is this for the SP or MP stuff?

Man, I finally picked up One Finger Death Punch when it went on sale a few days ago, based on how much some of you have raved about it, and finally got around to playing it.

My god. You were right. You were so, so right. For such a stupidly simple concept, this game is *amazing*

Uzzy

I didn't see an option to watch others matches live but watching replays is there. While waiting for matches one can play in training mode and will get alerted when a match has been set up. That's neat.

That feature was put into Ultra. It's very useful. Lobby mode is there in the beta, but the option is greyed out at the moment. Hopefully it'll be ready at launch.

The real reason to buy the game now is so you get Chun-Li's alt costume.

Knurek

I wonder how many copies Blow has to sell to break-even?

The game cost 6 mil to make and with a 40$ price tag - taxes - valve's cut, he probably makes around 20$ per copy. So around 300k at full price on PS4 + PC combined is my guess.

Don't you know devs get better money on Sony consoles than on PC?
I mean, I recall reading somewhere that Valve pays out developers in Guyanaese Dollar, so they are getting ~200 times less revenue than on Playstation.

Jawmuncher

Pretty dumb that you have to play the story mode to unlock the Alts AND still buy them with fight money. I need to see a post about fight money. If playing story mode nets me enough points to buy a costume then alright.

That feature was put into Ultra. It's very useful. Lobby mode is there in the beta, but the option is greyed out at the moment. Hopefully it'll be ready at launch.

That tiny piece of cloth... and the shadowy area... o_o

Uzzy

Pretty dumb that you have to play the story mode to unlock the Alts AND still buy them with fight money. I need to see a post about fight money. If playing story mode nets me enough points to buy a costume then alright.

I saw a quote from someone at Capcom that stated you could get enough fight money from the single player content at launch to get the first DLC character. So you should be able to get a costume at least.

Messiah

Who needs that costume when there is cop Chun-Li though.

The next 17 days are going to be hell.

Jawmuncher

Chun Li's ALT in game is the Police Outfit. For the dress you either have to preorder or buy it in game at some point.

I saw a quote from someone at Capcom that stated you could get enough fight money from the single player content at launch to get the first DLC character. So you should be able to get a costume at least.

Guess it depends on how much they meant. Are they saying every story mode plus every survival up to a point? At least if true SP content for us more casual fans will hopefully be farmable for fight money.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

No sexy Ryu for me ;-;

Though yeah that goddamn Chun-Li alt costume looks about as good.

Benedict

Sunless Sea needs an interface, badly.

Had been interested in the game for a long time, but was put off by it now when booting it up during the free weekend.
Seems like a game that was released 20 years ago regarding interface. Then you had to depend on the included manual in the box and such. These are non-existant now and therefore require an in-game guide or tutorial.
I threw myself out of the game as quick I as I entered it.

Every time I mention I've still not finished the Witcher III I feel this presence is watching over me, like I've committed a terrible sin and must make up for my indiscretions. Yes, yes you know who you are and I'll get to it soon. I know I've said that the past 6 months but you can't rush perfection.

I hope this doesn't mean the final game will cost more than $60 total. The plan was always to have the full single player + multiplayer game for $60 at launch.

Gather around poor chaps. Gather and marvel at top-tier GPUs in SLI/CrossFire. Your personal rigs won't probably experience this in their lifetimes.

GTX 980 Ti vs R9 Fury X SLI/CrossFire Face-Off at 4K

- AMD cards get in many games slightly more boost in CrossFire than Nvidia
- BUT AMDs frametimes (responsible for "stuttery feeling") are much worse than Nvidia in CrossFire
- some highly CPU bound games like GTAV will give very inconsistent gains, especially on AMD
- a few games fare preferably on AMD though (Ryse) and have microstutter on Nvidia (Crysis 3)
- at this point probably CPU limiting factor

Very interesting to see highest of high hardware configs. 4K gaming maxed out is still a long time away.

Nordicus

Don't you know devs get better money on Sony consoles than on PC?
I mean, I recall reading somewhere that Valve pays out developers in Guyanaese Dollar, so they are getting ~200 times less revenue than on Playstation.
Hey, that's not true!

Valve recently switched to paying in Indian Rupees, so they only get ~70 times less revenue. A massive improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom