• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriken

5e7mKaO.jpg

5fef2e9513d1150050208869ecfc2336.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I did everything right (even was surprised I knew so many little details about her life) but fucked up at the last moment and she jumped :c

Yeah I knew
her father was nicer because he sent her a card after the viral vid, but I still picked mother, ugh.
This felt bad. Like Until Dawn, but you actually care about the characters

MUnited83

For you.

To be fair, the customs duty are entirely your country's fault. Which still doesn't explain the shoddy conversion of the original price of course.

Haha, damn.

Perhaps we should know better than to trust Steam ports of Final Fantasy games by now.

Seems fine to me, wasn't really expecting it to be any better since they would have to basically remake the whole thing.

So the 699€ does not include taxes? Then why is it so much more expensive??
It does include taxes, it just doesn't include customs, which is a separate tax altogether.

Lomax

I still find it odd he mentioned Blacksburg, VA as if it's the middle of nowhere. It's a college town (Virginia Tech) which had an electronic village which provided Internet for everyone in the town in the early 90s, well before the WWW. My Comcast internet there last year was just as fast and more reliable than it has been in California. His point is valid, but his example is terrible and equally ill informed.

No way it will bomb. The demand is huge, even not factoring the mainstream and EU.

You keep telling that to yourself, demand for Xbox One was huge too and see how that turned out.

Depends on your definition of bombing. The early limited runs are already selling out. But I'm sure they expect it to be a bestseller in walmart sooner rather than later, and that's where the real success will be measured.

Knurek

I added the launcher exe but that doesn't work. I can't find the game's exe file. The game itself should have one right?

Might be, googling the topic returns some notes that the game only has dll files which are loaded by the launcher.
Unfortunately, GTTT needs a proper exe to work. :\

It does include taxes, it just doesn't include customs, which is a separate tax altogether.

How do you know? When you import something into a country, you are usually required to pay both (flat VAT + product specific customs) unless it's sold from inside the EU and the merchant took care of everything because he was the importer. I never heard of splitting it.

Was the original way prettier? I didn't play it, but maybe they couldn't do much more than that?

prerendered backgrounds for the PSX

outside of finding the original sources for these backgrounds (highly unlikely since no one in japan apparently kept their shit in the 90s) the best they can do with these backgrounds is leave them as is, in their postage stamp resolution

Kriken

I still find it odd he mentioned Blacksburg, VA as if it's the middle of nowhere. It's a college town (Virginia Tech) which had an electronic village which provided Internet for everyone in the town in the early 90s, well before the WWW. My Comcast internet there last year was just as fast and more reliable than it has been in California. His point is valid, but his example is terrible and equally ill informed.

Yeah, that always struck me as odd considering I'm a VT grad

zkylon

zkylewd
It just occurred to me, maybe you don't know that gaf GOTY does PC GOTY as well? Because if you know, I don't know what you are trying to prove.
you know, you've turned into a really frustrating person to talk to

Yeah, if we think about it. Steamgaf is the only active community platform here, right? There are PSN thread and such but they're not really that active. And the goty is organized by the community, not the mods. It's our right, but it's also the community's decision regarding the rules of the goty. I won't complain, but I understand yours.
yeah, i think since it's just users getting organized and not "asking" anything of neogaf (like making a goty thread or whatever, mods don't really need to be thanked

if u want to thank mods for something is for sending us to community instead of shutting down the anime talk and general goofiness :p

Was the original way prettier? I didn't play it, but maybe they couldn't do much more than that?
no but we used to play it in smaller, lower resolution tvs

so it didn't look quite as bad

it'll hit 20 by the summer, hell i'll bet you can pick up a steam key for $15 by summer

and i might bite even if I paid only $5 for the first one. Just want to check it out as TR2013 was one of my goty games for sure.

BTW, anyone got the steps/rules for steam GOTY voting? Has that already started?

I hope so. I played TR2013 on the PS3 and liked it so much I re-bought it during the last Steam sale (those graphics). From what I've heard, Rise fixes what was wrong with the first game so I'm eager to play it.

When did Xbox One bomb? I also don't remember there being much demand for it.
It didn't bomb because they changed all their plans, removed kinect, stupid always connected drm, dropped the price, bundled the shit out of it, etc...
Mark my words, oculus will bomb unless they do some serious changes, doubt they will sell more than 10000 units in Europe,probably less than 100000 worldwide.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm so happy I started playing TIS-100 before the Steam GotY vote.

At some point you should try the hidden puzzle (basic hint:
There's one thing in the manual that is not used anywhere in the game. It's even highlighted.
; directions to explicitly find it:
Press F2 on main screen, click Eagle
)

:)

Pachimari

Might be, googling the topic returns some notes that the game only has dll files which are loaded by the launcher.
Unfortunately, GTTT needs a proper exe to work. :\
That is unfortunate. :(

pol.exe is the game's exe. You have to go through pol to start ffxi and that's it.
Which means, that I can't keep track of my playing time in Gameplay Time Tracker, because it needs an exe.

Durante

At some point you should try the hidden puzzle (basic hint:
There's one thing in the manual that is not used anywhere in the game. It's even highlighted.
; directions to explicitly find it:
Press F2 on main screen, click Eagle
)

:)
I actually already found that, if you can believe that. I
read the entire manual, and then tried F2 on all the screens since it seemed intriguing, and when it popped up I must have randomly clicked at the right spot.

I'll try to complete the normal levels first though. (I got over trying to beat everyone on my friend list in every metric, so it's going much faster now ;))

FF7-9 used high-fidelity pre-rendered backgrounds to give areas better, higher-detail visuals vs. other games of the time. Unfortunately, uprezzing those shots would basically mean recreating them from scratch (a lot of work, given that no two areas shared the same background).

The crux of the problem is that the new HD models contrast with the (now) low-fi backgrounds, shattering the illusion that it's a 3D environment and making it look like they're standing on a textured rug.

Lain

The original rendered at what, 320x240? and it was displayed on CRTs. The prerendered backgrounds looked fine at the time. Obviously they look all kind of bad when blown up from such a low resolution, but I don't think anyone sane expected SE to go and re-render all the pre-rendered stuff.

That is unfortunate. :(

Which means, that I can't keep track of my playing time in Gameplay Time Tracker, because it needs an exe.

Not being able to keep track of your playtime through that program is unfortunate. Having to go through pol is the tragedy.
Btw, the game has a nice playtime button in the game's menu, so you can check it there. Also, when in-game, the button to open menu (if you're not playing with a controller) is -.

Was Torchlight II part of the recent Steam sales? I'm wondering if I missed out, as I just discovered that I can run it and loved the first game.

Tizoc

Well there it is
Nyoro SF claimed your Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen A key. There were 530 entrants.
Khrae claimed your Dragon's Dogma: Dark ARISEN B key. There were 514 entrants.

Copons

The gigolo missions were criticized for whatthey were, hence the meme 'Fuck off into space'.
I take it you played with the 60 FPS+ fix? You can also play the game HUD-less as well.

Ah yes, I went and read a bit of the critics, thanks.

Anyway, no, I played it all vanilla. Sadly, the 60 FPS fix made navigating the menus too annoying, and also somehow got the game thinking I was playing at like 1024x768 (even tho it was 1920x1080 ingame), and I had to verify the integrity as even reverting the files to their original state didn't let me change the resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom