• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
tG1Mgu4.png

Guess he had no idea what he was talking about before. Price is fair compared to NA then

If it includes the custom fees then it seems alright.

Would be nice if they opened something on the EU though.

Wok

I have not seen it posted in this thread, but it might obviously be of interest for these who like indie games: IGF nominees are known. Some of these games (all?) should appear on Steam one day.

2016 Independent Games Festival Finalists: http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html

Seumas McNally Grand Prize:
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Her Story
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
  • Mini Metro
  • SUPERHOT
  • UNDERTALE
Honorable mentions: Affordable Space Adventures (KnapNok Games and Nifflas' Games); Cibele (Star Maid Games); OXENFREE (Night School Studio); PANORAMICAL (Fernando Ramallo & David Kanaga); Soft Body (Zeke Virant); That Dragon, Cancer (Numinous Games); The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.); and Twelve Minutes (Luis Antonio).

Excellence in Visual Art:
  • Armello
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • GNOG
  • Mini Metro
  • OXENFREE
  • PANORAMICAL
Honorable mentions: Alto's Adventure (Snowman); Astroneer (System Era Softworks); Epistory - Typing Chronicles (Fishing Cactus); Forkride Grilltime Sloth (Black Pants Game Studio / Sebastian Stamm); Future Unfolding (Spaces of Play); and Kingdom (noio and Licorice).

Excellence in Design:
  • Her Story
  • Infinifactory
  • Kingdom
  • Mini Metro
  • SUPERHOT
Honorable mentions: Chaos Reborn (Snapshot Games); Duskers (Misfits Attic); Gang Beasts (Boneloaf); Imbroglio (Michael Brough); Soft Body (Zeke Virant); and TIS-100 (Zachtronics).

Excellence in Audio:
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Lumini
  • Mini Metro
  • PANORAMICAL
  • That Dragon, Cancer
  • UNDERTALE
Honorable mentions: GNOG (KO_OP); Heart Forth, Alicia (Alonso Martin); Inside My Radio (Seaven Studio); Kingdom (noio and Licorice); OXENFREE (Night School Studio); and The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.).

Excellence in Narrative:
  • Black Closet
  • Her Story
  • That Dragon, Cancer
  • The Beginner's Guide
  • The Magic Circle
  • UNDERTALE
Honorable mentions: Cibele (Star Maid Games); Contradiction (Tim Follin / Baggy Cat Ltd); Orion Trail (Schell Games); OXENFREE (Night School Studio); and The Writer Will Do Something (Tom Bissell and Matthew S. Burns).

Nuovo Award:
  • Cibele
  • Fantastic Contraption
  • Her Story
  • orchids to dusk
  • PANORAMICAL
  • Progress
  • The Beginner's Guide
Honorable mentions: Affordable Space Adventures (KnapNok Games and Nifflas' Games); ENOUGH (Cabbibo); Future Unfolding (Spaces of Play); Sage Solitaire (Zach Gage); Sentree (Glitchnap); TIS-100 (Zachtronics); and Vignettes (Pol Clarissou andArmel Gibson).

Best Student Game:
  • Ape Out
  • Beglitched
  • Chambara
  • Circa Infinity
  • orchids to dusk
  • Pitfall Planet
Honorable mentions: Anarcute (Anarteam); BADBLOOD (NYU Game Center); FAR (Zurich University of the Arts); Gathering Sky (A Stranger Gravity); Not Everything is Flammable (Carnegie Mellon University - Entertainment Technology Center); and Sumer (New York University).

Cross-posted in the Indie thread.

Knurek

Which means, that I can't keep track of my playing time in Gameplay Time Tracker, because it needs an exe.

Can't you just force detect the launcher? Should work if it stays being opened while you're playing.
Alternatively, try ctrl-alt-deleting to Task Manager and see what is running while you're playing FFIX.

Lomax

Honestly I hate when anyone invokes exchange rates as if they are some sort of absolute. For one, they change, almost constantly. For another, there's a lot more to regional pricing than exchange rates. If you think something is overpriced, fine, that's fair. But "they get it cheaper" is not a valid argument, it's more just jealousy, and is often based on misperception.

Pachimari

Also, when in-game, the button to open menu (if you're not playing with a controller) is -.

This doesn't open the menu here?

Can't you just force detect the launcher? Should work if it stays being opened while you're playing.
Alternatively, try ctrl-alt-deleting to Task Manager and see what is running while you're playing FFIX.

It's PlayOnline Viewer that is playing when I use crtl-alt-delete.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So far from what I've played of Dark Souls 2: SotFS I can say it's the worst Souls game for me (Including bloodborne here.) Combat just feels really off to me. That aside it's still a pretty good game.
I probably won't replay it when I'm done.

Uzzy

Neat I guess. I'd rather buy a new monitor or a second 980 TI for the price, at least until someone makes a Ghost in the Shell app for it. That'd be the last anyone will ever hear of me.

So far from what I've played of Dark Souls 2: SotFS I can say it's the worst Souls game for me (Including bloodborne here.) Combat just feels really off to me. That aside it's still a pretty good game.
I probably won't replay it when I'm done.

I felt the same way. The combat, while not bad by any means, felt just off enough compared to Dark Souls 1 that I couldn't get behind it.

xHiryu

Anyone knows when Pascal will release?

My plan is to spare money so I can upgrade processor, graphic card and RAM.

Same stuck with a GTX 680 and looking to upgrade next summer, hopefully something like a 980 Ti releases for the next generation of graphics cards

Finally posting on Steam GAF through that holiday sale thread, is there some sort of Steam group for GAF?

Hektor

Aesthetic of that game really is very similar to Limbo. I hope it has music, at least. I wonder how they incorporated elements from The Stanley Parable, though, since that isn't much of a puzzle game at all.

Look at the last screenshot.

Sch1sm

Look at the last screenshot.

I saw it. I just. Don't understand. Unless they simply took the setting, nothing else would scream at me from that game that could be incorporated. Not with that new-age music they used and the narration sure isn't being thrown in.

I dunno if I'd buy it and I love puzzlers.

Durante

Is TIS-100 something I can get into without programming knowledge? I bought it but haven't had chance to give it a shot just yet
I wonder. It's basically programming. But the first few levels shouldn't be too hard. and it has an intriguing "story" going for it too!

In fact, I'd say all the Zachtronics games are basically programming, this one just has the least visual abstraction from it.

I played through the first level and was having fun, but I was getting motion sickness due to the head bobbing.

Night Dive recently released a huge update that fixes a bunch of niggling issues, adds in some features, and even replace the audio with a higher quality version (apparently the N64 had higher quality audio than the original PC version).

I turned off all the head bobbing from the same exact reason after playing less than a minute. Luckily there's more built in controls for those than pretty much in any other game.

The update is kinda funny, I played the last level with it and enemies that can be blown apart is superb: previously the bullets (such as grenades) just hit the bodies, not the bodies flow around the map when hit.

Oh good, we're back.

Been marathoning the Mass Effect trilogy. Almost done 2. My Shepard has become a Paragade who is still fiercely loyal to Liara (but doesn't mind Kelly stopping by to shake it in his cabin every once in a while), celebrated being brought back to life by drinking heavily and knows how to take shortcuts to get the job done.

Just ME3 (with mods) left to go.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
i wish you could take screenshots in undertale

Ugh, right? I set up ShareX to take some screenshots, but I only thought to do so after 7 or so hours so I only grabbed a handful of moments. Plus, it doesn't solve the problem of wanting to upload them to the Steam community, but, it's an idea at least!

My long term solution was to just stream the game as I played. 9 and a half hours of 60 screenshots per second!

RuinKaos

Ugh, right? I set up ShareX to take some screenshots, but I only thought to do so after 7 or so hours so I only grabbed a handful of moments. Plus, it doesn't solve the problem of wanting to upload them to the Steam community, but, it's an idea at least!

My long term solution was to just stream the game as I played. 9 and a half hours of 60 screenshots per second!

I found a post on steam forums that shows how to upload a image manually but i don't own the game to see if it works:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3004368

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Look for your Steam screenshots directory and follow how the games usually do it. I think the subdirectory name should be the game's Steam Store page ID, but haven't done it manually in ages.

I found a post on steam forums that shows how to upload a image manually but i don't own the game to see if it works:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3004368

I've read about it before, but it requires a bit of effort to rename and generate thumbnails, as opposed to just clicking a button and being done with it. Hardly intensive labor, but a lot of steps just to share something onto the community site.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Oh good, we're back.

Been marathoning the Mass Effect trilogy. Almost done 2. My Shepard has become a Paragade who is still fiercely loyal to Liara (but doesn't mind Kelly stopping by to shake it in his cabin every once in a while), celebrated being brought back to life by drinking heavily and knows how to take shortcuts to get the job done.

Just ME3 (with mods) left to go.
Is this your first time through? If that's the case; Prepare to be dissapointed.
Never been able to finish ME3 and I adored the other games, especially the first one.
Everyone focused on the ending but that might just be the least of the games issues.

You'll have a lot of fun if you really enjoy the combat, though. There are some terrific setpieces and beautiful vista's as well.

Serious question : Who is actually preordering the Rift?

I'm in the first batch. The price is actually exactly what I expected it to be, so there wasn't much sticker shock when the pre-order went live. I've played around with the pre-release ORs 3 times before, and came back really impressed each time. I also can't wait to play Elite Dangerous in VR, that might be the killer app for me.

(plus if i'm lucky i'll be able to get reimbursed for it as a research expense)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Playing Cibele feels like invading someone's privacy. Like super stalker level.
It's a bit uncomfortable. You can tell the developer made it a personal story for her to say something, and it accomplishes that I think, and I mean I guess it feels more 'real', but it does make you feel like a real creeper at points. I'm sure it's better for the artistic direction of the work for the developer to focus on the connection, longing, and sexuality of a relationship, and obviously she is okay with sharing this or else she wouodn't put it in her own game, but some elements like her stripping down to take nudes is a bit strange, and can make you feel kind of weird. Plus it all sort of combines to make player feel awkward since it does feel like you're peeping through someone elses relationship as some voyeur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom