• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder. It's basically programming. But the first few levels shouldn't be too hard. and it has an intriguing "story" going for it too!

In fact, I'd say all the Zachtronics games are basically programming, this one just has the least visual abstraction from it.

Yeah. It's not really the particular ASM you're writing that's the focus, it's the general process of thinking algorithmically, which is the same as Spacechem.

I just discovered Dragon's Dogma has no PvP. I feel stupid. Well a little more than usual.

But I did resist the urge to troll a Shenmue 3 thread so maybe I am learning human interactions. Like an inferior version of ModBot.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
On the road finally yo get back home.

Soon, Steam games shall be played. I'll try to do some write-ups. Lots of titles I want to try and get through on and off through the year.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ugh, right? I set up ShareX to take some screenshots, but I only thought to do so after 7 or so hours so I only grabbed a handful of moments. Plus, it doesn't solve the problem of wanting to upload them to the Steam community, but, it's an idea at least!

My long term solution was to just stream the game as I played. 9 and a half hours of 60 screenshots per second!
you can add screenshots to steam kind of easy but it's still work and i'm not gonna install anything for taking screenshots

it's just a gamemaker and rpgmaker issue, dunno how they do their rendering or whatever but it doesn't work great with steam for some reason, even if this has steam overlay and everything

Eila

Occulus seems to be cheapest in Australia/New Zealand, although of course that is only because of the depreciation of their currencies.
Canada got hit damn hard, even though it's the exact same price as in the US. I guess they wanted to avoid americans importing it from there instead of paying 599 USD.

Whoa 2016 is off to a good start

http://store.steampowered.com/app/432020

header.jpg

What is this game? It is about a guy, who gets into an awkward situation in a not suitable moment, and tries to overcome it.

-10% off even

dex3108

Already reserved for Dark Souls 3 and Total Warhammer

I just started playing Bloodborne so i am fine when Souls games are in question and i am not interested in Warhammer :D But i don't think that they will release game that soon. One CGI trailer and one pre-alpha gameplay is all they released.

ViviOggi

Alright here's some stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ViviOggi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Valkyria Chronicles -- MB-C096AE3DEF366B2F - Taken by Servbot #42. 30 entrants total.
Mercenary Kings -- MB-1C9CEE5BF1D2987A - Taken by AtomskEater. 8 entrants total.
Chroma Squad -- MB-DB57DF22AFD3C45A - Taken by Large Professor. 39 entrants total.
The Last Remnant -- MB-A1871DE2E0B36C96 - Taken by NicoNizza. 2 entrants total.
STRIDER -- MB-90AD82A51F3CF609 - Taken by kurahador. 3 entrants total.
Dead Space 2 -- MB-7C64DC5356FB56C8 - Taken by Raxanas. 8 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Payday 2 -- MB-9B69D594EC4538FF - Taken by bloke. 11 entrants total.
Spelunky -- MB-BCA58D44CA51FB62 - Taken by Madn. 16 entrants total.
Lethal League -- MB-F715D1ED381AFA02 - Taken by rainking187. 28 entrants total.
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-A4AF92B46D2BE0FA - Taken by Bowlie. 3 entrants total.
Life Is Strange - Episode 1 -- MB-ECF692956853E88B - Taken by Oreoleo. 5 entrants total.
Saints Row IV -- MB-B1C003B0234A616F - Taken by fspm. 20 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Talos Principle -- MB-29FB3B4281B20532 - Taken by ctw0e. 51 entrants total.
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-861745104CAEB557 - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.

t1452201236z1.png

Smash88

Banned
A Boy and His Blob, I remember watching a Quick Look of it on Giantbomb with Vinny and he was melting, I'm excited and surprised definitely will get it... one day.

MUnited83

For you.
header.jpg

Just completed. Enjoyed it but it's a bit of a disappointment. The actors performance are amazing and at a much higher level than almost any AAA games even today. However, it has terrible writing, unecessary open world bloat and and interrogation sistem that is nothing short of terrible. The face capture is nothing short of amazing but at the same time it feels it could be quite a bit better. Some of the faces have terrible low resolution assets that make it super weird to watch (while our protagonist face is almost perfect on that regard)

I hated how there were so many times where it was CLEAR AS DAY that you didn't have the actual culprit arrested, but the game makes it so that you have to arrest the wrong person for plot reasons. That's fucking bullshit. They also never explain why the hell most of those suspects don't even try to defend their innocence at all.

World building wise it's pretty good and they got the atmosphere just right.

Alright experience, but it should've been a movie instead.

dex3108

header.jpg

Just completed. Enjoyed it but it's a bit of a disappointment. The actors performance are amazing and at a much higher level than almost any AAA games even today. However, it has terrible writing, unecessary open world bloat and and interrogation sistem that is nothing short of terrible. The face capture is nothing short of amazing but at the same time it feels it could be quite a bit better. Some of the faces have terrible low resolution assets that make it super weird to watch (while our protagonist face is almost perfect on that regard)

I hated how there were so many times where it was CLEAR AS DAY that you didn't have the actual culprit arrested, but the game makes it so that you have to arrest the wrong person for plot reasons. That's fucking bullshit. They also never explain why the hell most of those suspects don't even try to defend their innocence at all.

World building wise it's pretty good and they got the atmosphere just right.

It is still one of the best noire games. I would love to see N.Y. Noire for example :D

Bowlie

Banned
header.jpg

I played it last year and thought that it could be at least 10 hours shorter, some departments drag on for too much without good reason. Homicide and Traffic had great cases, but the others were average for me...

Smash88

Banned
This game looks really damn good, nice pixel art.

Lashman probably posted it already, but this game coupled with Slain, Eitr, Chasm, Enter the Gungeon, Death's Gambit, RIOT, Mother Russia Bleeds, Goblins and Grottos, and probably more make me excited for some really good pixel based games.

Wozzer

It is common for Steam games to be available for a while but not be available to purchase three weeks from release?

Eagerly anticipating The Witness and want to drop my Steam wallet funds on it before I get distracted by something shiny in the meantime.

... ooh What's under your blanket is available..

FLD

Yeah. It's not really the particular ASM you're writing that's the focus, it's the general process of thinking algorithmically, which is the same as Spacechem.

That's very true. When I first tried SpaceChem years ago, I got stuck pretty early on (I'm not sure if I even managed to clear the first world). I went back to it last summer, though, and the two and a half years of CS I did in-between really made a hell of a difference. I ended up powering through most of the campaign fairly quickly. Still need to finish the last couple worlds, though. The problems can get kinda brutal near the end.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It is common for Steam games to be available for a while but not be available to purchase three weeks from release?

Eagerly anticipating The Witness and want to drop my Steam wallet funds on it before I get distracted by something shiny in the meantime.

... ooh What's under your blanket is available..

It all depends on several factors, some of which include Valve hand picking which games can allow for pre-orders and which ones can't. Mr. Blow has yet to announce a price for The Witness, so whatever is causing him to withhold that information is most likely the reason why there's no purchase options available just yet.

I wanted to preorder the Oculus CV1, but since Valve will also release one VR set, I will wait and see which one is the better choice.
My thoughts are if the Vive ends up being a much better option I'll be able to re-sell the Rift for more than I paid given I got in during the March delivery period.

milena87

Playing Pillars of Eternity, wow,
the adra dragon
is complete bullshit.

On Path of the Damned and going for the No Knockout achievement I hated this fight as well.
The key to this (as well as the final boss, actually) is to petrify the dragon as soon as possible. Oh, and use every summon item you have

I played it last year and thought that it could be at least 10 hours shorter, some departments drag on for too much without good reason. Homicide and Traffic had great cases, but the others were average for me...

It had a pretty troubled development and by the end I can only imagine that they had to piece together whatever they had and ship it. You can see story threads start to tie together in the last section of the game. So you have something like 15 chapters of standalone cases and about 4 chapters where the story actually makes some sense. That's not good enough.

Is this your first time through? If that's the case; Prepare to be dissapointed.
Never been able to finish ME3 and I adored the other games, especially the first one.
Everyone focused on the ending but that might just be the least of the games issues.

You'll have a lot of fun if you really enjoy the combat, though. There are some terrific setpieces and beautiful vista's as well.

I know what I'm getting into. Planning to use MEHEM and the new Galaxy Map Mod to make it a thorough experience.

I am well aware of ME3's problems. I argued them with Bioware staff at release. This will be my first time actually going through the game, but I'm going to 100% it.

dex3108

Concurrent player numbers for R6 Siege on Steam are not that bad. IF we add at least 10K more from UPlay only copies they are really nice. There is potential for sure.

LA Noire had all these interesting plot trails that ended up going nowhere. This character that I thought was going to be central to the game ended up being discarded and forgotten.

The partner characters were great though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Concurrent player numbers for R6 Siege on Steam are not that bad. IF we add at least 10K more from UPlay only copies they are really nice. There is potential for sure.

It's pretty amazing! Currently sitting at 92 hours played, which would put it at spot number 12 on my 'most played' if I had the Steam version. It's the perfect middle ground between games that reward tactical positioning and preplanning and games that lean more on your skill as a marksman. I wasn't convinced Ubisoft could make something that would give me a similar rush to the way I feel when playing Counter-Strike, but Siege is a damn good answer to that challenge. It's hit the spot for everyone in one of my groups, whereas we had difficulty pleasing everyone with games like Arma 3, Insurgency, Counter-Strike, Battlefield, and others in that vein.

Assuming they can address the networking issues, this could be the best option for a shooter around. Criminally overlooked, but that's what a poorly received alpha and beta can do to a game's reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom