• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The jury is still undecided on that.

image.php

user237

I tried using the IndieGala trade system to swap some unwanted games for other games I missed. I found it to be mostly a waste of time. The reason is that most of the other people trying to trade are one of:

1. Scammers who just put in a fake key like QQQQQ-QQQQQ-QQQQQ to steal your game
2. People who think they should get a AAA new release in return for their bundle game they got for 15 cents
3. People who post a trade, forget about it, and never come back to check for offers
4. People who ask for any game that don't have (reasonable), but they already have every game that's ever been bundled, so you can't ever make a trade with them unless you give them an expensive un-bundled game for their bundle junk game
5. People who grab free keys from IndieGala giveaways and use them for trade fodder

All of those combined with the poor searching ability make it really hard to actually make a trade that benefits both parties.

tmarg

I tried using the IndieGala trade system to swap some unwanted games for other games I missed. I found it to be mostly a waste of time. The reason is that most of the other people trying to trade are one of:

1. Scammers who just put in a fake key like QQQQQ-QQQQQ-QQQQQ to steal your game
2. People who think they should get a AAA new release in return for their bundle game they got for 15 cents
3. People who post a trade, forget about it, and never come back to check for offers
4. People who ask for any game that don't have (reasonable), but they already have every game that's ever been bundled, so you can't ever make a trade with them unless you give them an expensive un-bundled game for their bundle junk game
5. People who grab free keys from IndieGala giveaways and use them for trade fodder

All of those combined with the poor searching ability make it really hard to actually make a trade that benefits both parties.

This is the problem with just about every internet trade forum. And the people who exploit the systems the most are the most active ones with the most +Rep or whatever, so they are able to shout down any suggestions for reform.

First game I finished this year was Trails in the Sky FC. It was a great JRPG experience and looking forward to start SC once I get settled in at work. Totally recommended.

In the meantime, I went through a bunch of short point and click games.

Machinarium
Botanicula
Samorost 1 (Free browser game)
The Journey Down: Chapter One
The Journey Down: Chapter Two
The Dream Machine

I recommend all these as well. Each of the games has its own charm. The last parts of Journey Down and The Dream Machine haven't been released yet though. I just about started Samorost 2 too.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am going to play through the Nancy Drew series during January on a stream.

Do you guys want me during this to post my impressions of each Nancy Drew game as I go through them? There's 24 games I plan to try and go through.

First game I finished this year was Trails in the Sky FC. It was a great JRPG experience and looking forward to start SC once I get settled in at work. Totally recommended.

In the meantime, I went through a bunch of short point and click games.

Machinarium
Botanicula
Samorost 1 (Free browser game)
The Journey Down: Chapter One
The Journey Down: Chapter Two
The Dream Machine

I recommend all these as well. Each of the games has its own charm. The last parts of Journey Down and The Dream Machine haven't been released yet though. I just about started Samorost 2 too.

I liked just about all of these, but couldn't get into Botanicula. I respect what it was trying to do, but I guess it just wasn't for me. One of those rare games where I *should* like it but for whatever reason I simply *don't*.

I am going to play through the Nancy Drew series during January on a stream.

Do you guys want me during this to post my impressions of each Nancy Drew game as I go through them? There's 24 games I plan to try and go through.

Absolutely yes. I saw the Game Grumps try to get through one of them and it actually looked pretty competent as a point-and-click adventure. Are you planning to save the streams on youtube as well?

Grief.exe

I'm also posting this as a thread on the Gaming GAF side (which you can find here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166169 ), but I'll be talking about older and newer horror games through 2016 to recommend to you guys, and I'm starting with...

tumblr_mbgpi0aPhU1rnnop6o1_500.gif

Except in the technical department. The game naturally had a few bugs, but they're worse on newer machines, that can give some people trouble with running or it crashing on PC. My recommendation is to use this patch: http://dcotetools.sucklead.com/2012/10/version-15-available.html / And for some issues encountered, this may help: http://videodiscthings.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/glorious-glitches-call-of-cthulhu-dark.html

Thanks for these writeups Dusk, is there a way around the 4:3 lock?

Dead State: Reanimated
ss_6883b512535ae769c0b014e685c347aa6d267b5f.600x338.jpg

Very nice survival zombie game. Tried just a bit but the premise and the way it works are very exciting. I've raided a shop in a town, a not seen zombie suddendly attacked my party and we managed to kill it. We moved carefully and got everything, then we moved out. Too many zombies to try anything else, we changed the destination. We approached a market. No zombies, we started getting materials and useful items. We decided to explore the city. F**K!!!! A group of angry people started screaming to us that they didn't stand scanvengers! We run for our lives and managed to get back to our base. But resources are scarce. What will we do next?

Yep other people are the real threat in Dead State!

I ran across a truck shipping place on the right side of the map and was confronted by a heavily armed posse. Ended them and it took 3 trips to bring back all the sweet loot to base.

Pachimari

Come to think of it. Weren't we supposed to have two camera angles in Resident Evil: Remake? The original fixed one, and the third person angle from RE4?

Dsyndrome

I checked out your profile, and your screenshot actually perfectly demonstrates what's going on.

EDIT: hhmmmm

Right, the text and UI. In-game, I don't think it's like that.

I may just be looking at it and rationalizing, it's not off-putting in-game at least.

Dusk Golem

Thanks for these writeups Dusk, is there a way around the 4:3 lock?

There is resolution options in the game, but I think that stretches the image out some. I tried with some other things such as outside program forced resolution applications, but the result would cause the game to crash. Oh older games. XD;

But I can say I found the 16:9 in game to be fine in practice.

Absolutely yes. I saw the Game Grumps try to get through one of them and it actually looked pretty competent as a point-and-click adventure. Are you planning to save the streams on youtube as well?

Dang, there's that many of them? o_O

Definitely interested.

Okay, expect some Nancy Drew write-ups when I get home in a couple days and roll with it. I do record, but not sure how quick I'll have them up, depends how I tackle them. I guess I'll see what's-what with the series, I've had many of them for ages.

And yes, there's a surprising number of them. There's actully over 30 Nancy Drew games, and a new one coming out this year as well. And are GameGrumps playing some of them? I've actually heard that many of the games are a lot better than you might expect, they've been made by the same studio for years who are actually pretty good at making point'n'clicks, and I hear some of them have good stories, some have good detective elements, some good puzzles, and some are actually surprisingly atmospheric/scary (I'll be the judge of that).

See what I think, hopefully don't regret this decision. XD;

Dusk Golem

Here were some Steam screenshots from the very beginning of Call of Cthulhu, so no spoilers.

5403424F53AB77C40514425F665A17B3645CC377

045537A0F3E3866878FD95F73CA48FE33D081BF7

3A6130B7DFE20FA5C70D563B5ACB65E957B2A938

FF2D3AF7DA893664241DBB59537615473369DE49

It looked fine to me in practice, but a bit stretched. I think you quickly get used to it, though.

There's actully over 30 Nancy Drew games, and a new one coming out this year as well. And are GameGrumps playing some of them?

Only one of them, for Christmas. They didn't finish it. At one point they looked up the details of the game and were shocked that it was the 16th in the series. But it was enough to pique my interest. It looked better than I thought it was going to.

I hope both Danganronpa games come out to Steam soon because I'm playing the 1st one on my PS Vita and this game is crazy in a good way.

I believe its a game that everybody should play but make sure you don't get spoiled.

I'll second this. It's incredibly easy to get spoiled on the game. Just type the name into Google and the suggested searches can spoil something. The merchandise for the game can spoil stuff. Listening to the (very catchy) soundtrack on Youtube can lead to spoilers in comments or related video suggestions.

It's an amazing game and everyone deserves to play it blind.

I kind of wonder why the (sub?) genre of escape rooms and ace attorney style puzzle games are so under represented in gaming in general and almost completely missing on PC. How come no one has come up with a Kickstarter for a game like this yet?

Dusk Golem

Only one of them, for Christmas. They didn't finish it. At one point they looked up the details of the game and were shocked that it was the 16th in the series. But it was enough to pique my interest. It looked better than I thought it was going to.

I've not played a single one, but a friend has been urging me to play the, and I bought the collection because of several of them having horror themes and her urging.

I can't say how good or bad I think they are yet, but I can say it's fascinating the series apparently not only sells okay, it's actually one of the best selling point'n'click, it's gone on for so long with so many entries (it dates to the 90s), and that supposedly, a good majority of them are actually good, and apparently a few of them are even great.

MUnited83

For you.
I think the only thing stretched is the UI and text in the title screen. Here's screenshots from me playing a few seconds ago:

It's definitely stretched. It doesn't look completely horrible like some games do because of it, but it is stretched.

edit: yep

Momentary

Banned
Super Galaxy Squadron
ss_91ffd3461b9e86662ddc014cff4719062d2cb458.600x338.jpg

The first time I played this game I was almost mad. Dev screamed "it's not a bullet hell game!" and that was so untrure. Played a bit then quitted, if I remember correctly I had a few words with Neogaf Rayge which considered the game not so bad. In these days I discovered it got achievements, and I played a bit of it, scoring 8/9 achievement (with the last achievement on hold because I stopped playing and saved a game). Well. It's not the best shmup ever, but it's fun. A lot of stuff has been fixed, even if the balance is out of axis according to the ship you choose.
A little spot for me, I'm making a shmup, it'll take probably forever, but my goal is to surpass this one, in fun and content, but I know it won't be easy .:)

Couldn't have been me. I thought the game was okay at best and it lied about not being a bullet hell. The game's BETA on the other hand is a different story. You gotta use the word "tunnelsnakesrule" to opt into the BETA. I think it releases this month and you'll get it for free if you already own the original game. It completely changed. The UI has changed, stages have changed, the ship sprites have changed. Here's an example. I think the BETA lets you try the first 2 stages.

mO6lilU.png

The new game is releasing in January.

EX will release on January 25, 2016 (near the anniversary of the original game)
It’ll take the place of SGS on the Steam store (and in libraries), and will be priced at $9.99

I've not played a single one, but a friend has been urging me to play the, and I bought the collection because of several of them having horror themes and her urging.

I can't say how good or bad I think they are yet, but I can say it's fascinating the series apparently not only sells okay, it's actually one of the best selling point'n'click, it's gone on for so long with so many entries (it dates to the 90s), and that supposedly, a good majority of them are actually good, and apparently a few of them are even great.

Hearing that they're apparently one of the best point and clicks piqued my interest. With so many entries, I am looking forward to your impressions.

Ibuki

Banned
New year, time to come back to this thread. I haven't been active since like two summers ago I think. Howdy everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom