• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Billion dollars for selling other's people shit is still pretty impressive. That's not counting how much money they're minting on their own games by selling crates/keys and cosmetics. And then there's the 5% community market cut.

Yeah they are up there with Sony and microsoft in making money by selling other peoples works.

I am going to play through the Nancy Drew series during January on a stream.

Do you guys want me during this to post my impressions of each Nancy Drew game as I go through them? There's 24 games I plan to try and go through.

Good luck with that. I got to number 14, "Danger by Design." I finished it. I have the next 3 but didn't make a dent. Was really burnt out.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Good luck with that. I got to number 14, "Danger by Design." I finished it. I have the next 3 but didn't make a dent. Was really burnt out.

Burning out is the big concern I have, but I might space it between other things is what I have thought on it. See how it goes, my plan is to play through what I have, which is 24 of the titles including the most recent one, and see how it goes on. I hear a general opinion is that the whole series starts a bit rough, then has some classics, is good for a while, then dips in quality a bit in the middle, but picks up speed again in the last 5-6 years.

BUT, see what I think. One thing that either may help or hurt is I'm going to be streaming it, and might be fun to work out puzzles with the chat, been a bit fun in the past.

RobNBanks

Banned
Yeah they are up there with Sony and microsoft in making money by selling other peoples works.

Sony and Microsoft still actively fund the development of video games and actually release those games

Sony and Microsoft also have more than one human working customer service

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Sony and Microsoft still actively fund the development of video games and actually release those games

What are you trying to say?
They get a lot of their money from licensing and royalties from third-party publishers.

Also Valve makes games, sorry to burst some kind of bubble.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Just realised that if it wasnt for the Square humble bundle I would've only picked up serious sam 2, tomb raider underworld (got it before the bundle was updated) and 2 hercules games because the cards were going for more than the actual game.

Also got Undertale as a gift from a friend and loved doing the full pacifist run but I just dont have the heart to reset the game and fuck up that ending with a genocide run. I wanted to let my girlfriend give it a try but I think all possibilities of that went out of the window with flowey.

Oh and I forgot how infuriating the controls were on the old Tomb Raider games. Anniversary felt like torture about halfway through Egypt and on. I liked legend but its ending was really abrupt even for someone who played underworld years ago.

ArjanN

Friendly reminder:

Guilty Gear Xrd 's Free DLC offer ends on January 11th.

All prices stated are in USD for convenience.
System Voices: $0.99/ea, $9.99 for the System Voices Bundle. (17 items)
Color Palettes: $0.99/ea, $9.99 for the Color Palettes Bundle. (17 items)
Sin/Elphelt/Leo Easy Unlock DLC: $1.99/ea.

Full Bundle (includes game and all DLCs): $39.99

*"Wanna be Crazy" offer will cease completely on 11th Jan.

All the DLC is yours forever if you buy the game before Jan 11th.

MUnited83

For you.

Sony and Microsoft also have more than one human working customer service
Valve does that too, and customer service is one of the biggest sectors at Valve, as hard as that is to believe.

How's that? I didn't know. Please explain.

The GTA SA for PC use to be the best version of the game, lots of mod support, and flexibility. About 2 years ago, They retroactively replaced everyone's steam version with a new version that is based on the Ipad release. 17 less songs, no mod support, mouse is virtually unusable, and no resolution or other graphic options. Also it has a bunch of bugs and errors. You can get back the better version but Rockstar has made one attempt to block that and they might try again.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382803643

ArjanN

They get a lot of their money from licensing and royalties from third-party publishers.

He's just regurgitating the same lame old stuff people people say about Valve that always gets disproven immediately but somehow people keep repeating.

RobNBanks

Banned

no they don't. they change numbers every few months in Dota to make it seem like they do something and they make music kits for CSGO.

competitive MM was announced 8 months ago for TF2 and still nowhere to be found. or did they finally add it? i gave up after months of waiting

but thats ok, Half-Life 3 is about to go gold. The hidden lambda in the ARG confirmed it

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
no they don't. they change numbers every few months in Dota to make it seem like they do something and they make music kits for CSGO.

competitive MM was announced 8 months ago for TF2 and still nowhere to be found. or did they finally add it? i gave up after months of waiting

but thats ok, Half-Life 3 is about to go gold. The hidden lambda in the ARG confirmed it

ok I didn't get that you were joking, sorry.

NicoNizza

Neo Member
The GTA SA for PC use to be the best version of the game, lots of mod support, and flexibility. About 2 years ago, They retroactively replaced everyone's steam version with a new version that is based on the Ipad release. 17 less songs, no mod support, mouse is virtually unusable, and no resolution or other graphic options. Also it has a bunch of bugs and errors. You can get back the better version but Rockstar has made one attempt to block that and they might try again.

Oh thanks! I will check to that later. Meanwhile I will keep kicking some ghouls with Cait <3

really because the can change the resolution in the game i got the mouse bug though,
but shift + tab fixes it for a bit most of what you said is correct though

Messiah

Ah, community again. Welcome everyone who decided to join us, hope you are having a pleasant stay!

The sale was pretty decent for me, tried to pick up some games I can reasonably beat until the next big sale.

Xanathus

When I was on vacation and playing video games I hardly ate any snacks or felt hungry. Now that I'm back at work and have to use my brain I find myself getting peckish often and keep getting snacks. Feels bad man. I need to get some sort of healthy thing like grains or nuts to put at my workplace.

GTA SA PC was missing the PS2 sun effects, lens flare, car reflections, rain light reflections and orange skies

but mods fixed those thankfully
fucking rockstar

Okay. I have played a lot of Sonic games in my most of them good and a few rotten apples but, Lost World has to be the first mediocre Sonic game. Like it's not Good, great or so bad that I can laugh and get some enjoyment out of how shit it is. The controls were designed by someone who wasn't on this planet.

I am very disappointed in this, this is something rare for me with a Sonic game because usually I can play it fine because of the controls but man this is really bad. On a technical level it works, the game doesn't crash and no framerate problems but, I think Valve will suspend my refund privileges if I refund another game. I don't even know what the limit is.

I bought 4 games this sale and this would be the third refund if I did do it. So I am not sure how to go about this.

Kriken

Okay. I have played a lot of Sonic games in my most of them good and a few rotten apples but, Lost World has to be the first mediocre Sonic game. Like it's not Good, great or so bad that I can laugh and get some enjoyment out of how shit it is. The controls were designed by someone who wasn't on this planet.

I am very disappointed in this, this is something rare for me with a Sonic game because usually I can play it fine because of the controls but man this is really bad. On a technical level it works, the game doesn't crash and no framerate problems but, I think Valve will suspend my refund privileges if I refund another game. I don't even know what the limit is.

I bought 4 games this sale and this would be the third refund if I did do it. So I am not sure how to go about this.

You should totally keep it

Refund it if you're not having fun

Apparently, there's a trick to play refunded steam games (offline), just found it on reddit. A new kind of piracy?
I hope valve can find a way to overcome that, it's a hole on the refund system.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah that sucks, i think they changed SA for every platform PSN included, vice city got changed too. Makes me appreciate my boxed GTA trilogy set even more......too bad i don't have a PS2 to play those games on
BibleThump.png

I've been thinking about San Andreas a lot lately. Sucks what they did to the pc version. I might try this fix eventually but it looks a lil intimidating

In one hand, you bought a Sonic game, so you should have known what you were getting into, on the other... you bought a Sonic game. I say risk going for a refund.

You should totally keep it

Refund it if you're not having fun
It's more I am wondering how close I am to get my refund privileges suspended. This would be refunding like 3 games in the span of 2 or 3 days.

However I am providing reasons why so I am not sure.
In one hand, you bought a Sonic game, so you should have known what you were getting into, on the other... you bought a Sonic game. I say risk going for a refund.

2/10.

MUnited83

For you.
Apparently, there's a trick to play refunded steam games (offline), just found it on reddit. A new kind of piracy?
I hope valve can find a way to overcome that, it's a hole on the refund system.

It's not really much of a trick, and why would anyone do that instead of just pirating it altogether boggles my mind lol.

Sch1sm

Don't spoil it!
Let them feel what we feel..

I figure if they're primed for disappointment, it won't be as bad to them. I loved LiS, I did. But I dunno if I'd bite on a second title unless it was <$10 for the season.

Just me, though. I could spend my whole steam existence playing nothing but puzzle and strategy titles, let's be real.

Accoun

G fucking G to me. Just realized I sold (or worse, dropped it off somewhere in a dungeon because it was too heavy) a main quest item in Morrowind. Cleared the dungeon far earlier than I got the quest and it wasn't super expensive, so I took it for an enchanted item that Morrowind is full of.

Looks like I gotta look around the world tomorrow, or at worst say "fuck it" and try to spawn one using the console.

It's not really much of a trick, and why would anyone do that instead of just pirating it altogether boggles my mind lol.

Denuvo exists.
As I've pointed out on my thread months ago on the gaming side, pirates are actually feel threatened by Denuvo. Denuvo made pirated games unplayable. I live in a heavily pirate-influenced country, and this discussion always come up when a new game is announced with Denuvo protection. This trick is just the remedy for that.

But why?
Why nepnep but not Lightning, for example?

I figure if they're primed for disappointment, it won't be as bad to them. I loved LiS, I did. But I dunno if I'd bite on a second title unless it was <$10 for the season.

Just me, though. I could spend my whole steam existence playing nothing but puzzle and strategy titles, let's be real.

Mee too. Bought the game at 50% off and the season pass at 33% off, but I feel kinda disappointed. Will wait for a longer time for the next title.

Sch1sm

G fucking G to me. Just realized I sold (or worse, dropped it off somewhere in a dungeon because it was too heavy) a main quest item in Morrowind. Cleared the dungeon far earlier than I got the quest and it wasn't super expensive, so I took it for an enchanted item that Morrowind is full of.

Looks like I gotta look around the world tomorrow, or at worst say "fuck it" and try to spawn one using the console.

At least that solution exists. You'd think a warning system would be developed for quest items. This is probably a large part of why I avoid generally exploration, and play through main quests first. A subconscious effort to not be screwed bug the system.

Godspeed.

How far in are you? Also, what mods are you using?

Tizoc

I hate typing on gaf from my iphone :x
Will b busy with work then im off for a shave
After that a little exercise before i can bother posting on gaf thru my lappy
By then of course kero blaster speedrun starts @o@

kuYuri

In case it hasn't been mentioned, GMG has the Resident Evil 5: Untold Stories DLC bundle for $4.49. Use code NWYEAR-20PERC-WTHGMG to get another 20% off, bringing it down to $3.60 for me.

It's the lowest price I've seen this DLC.

didamangi

In case it hasn't been mentioned, GMG has the Resident Evil 5: Untold Stories DLC bundle for $4.49. Use code NWYEAR-20PERC-WTHGMG to get another 20% off, bringing it down to $3.60 for me.

It's the lowest price I've seen this DLC.

Cheers, bought. I presume I can play the DLC right away from the main menu right? It's not connected to the main game?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I took up the 50 books, 50 movies challenge, so RIP gaming time.

It's not really that difficult. Watch a movie every saturday, read a book every sunday. Game during the week. No problem. Also everyone that completes that challenge except Mumei cheats in how they count books by doing stuff like reading plays or novellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom