• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
fBYBx2r.png

what's the difference of these two wishlist highlights?

also did d4 ever get a conclusion or something?

fBYBx2r.png

what's the difference of these two wishlist highlights?

Isn't the blue color top one for the game that's selected to show info to the right?

also did d4 ever get a conclusion or something?

No. It's possible something could be worked out for SWERY's new studio to do a second season, but there hasn't been any indication that something like that is in the works.

zkylon

zkylewd
Isn't the blue color top one for the game that's selected to show info on the right
nope

i think i figured it out tho, the extra items on the list that appear when u scroll down have the whiter highlight, while the items in the initial not-expanded list are the blue ones

not sure if it's a bug with enhanced steam or steam itself, nothing big tho

Do you have a coupon for The Silver Case?
nope

No. It's possible something could be worked out for SWERY's new studio to do a second season, but there hasn't been any indication that something like that is in the works.
D4 will never see more episodes. ��
that's kind of a bummer, i never played d4 but i was interested in it from a distance and i think i heard from my brother that the game just kind of ends midway through and then it was just abandoned or something?

that can't be right can it?

Tizoc

*looks up on Amazon*

*looks at price for the first volume*

*strokes chin*

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....That is well within my wheel house.

That reading right to left is something I'll have to get over tho

not a stereotypical anime as well

hmmmmmmmmmm....

Blame Omnibus Vol. 1 and 2 were $8 on Humble bundle until last week iirc.

JarrodL

that's kind of a bummer, i never played d4 but i was interested in it from a distance and i think i heard from my brother that the game just kind of ends midway through and then it was just abandoned or something?

that can't be right can it?

It pretty much ends on a huge cliffhanger. Swery was presumably working on the next part before he had to take a break from game development for health reasons. Now he's back with a new indie studio, no idea what that means for D4 future (do they own the rights for the IP still?). Nothing specific on his twitter as far as I can see.

Parsnip

Marvelous owns Deadly Premonition (I think) and Access Games owns D4.
Seems unlikely that we'll ever see that teased second season now.
While I don't think he has said anything directly, it feels a bit like he didn't leave Access in good terms.

lUvqGC3.jpg

I could potentially see a DP sequel though, developed by his new studio and published by Marvelous.

gelf

You really want enemies with guns to go with that hit stun?

Well Bloodborne had enemies with guns already. You could argue Let it Die is a Soulslike in a more modern day setting too.

Finished freedom planet over the weekend

First time playing it - can't believe I had it in my backlog for so long. Possibly my most favorite game this gen so far.
Freedom Planet is fantastic. Possibly my favorite platformer of the last few years.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh yeah I forgot these shit eidolon fights in XIII... stupid Doom

Making these lists is getting harder each year with so many releases of old games and remasters.
FFIX should make my list by default but I haven't actually played the steam version. Should I still include it since it's one of my favorite games and was released on steam this year?
I try to prioritize new releases, games that are truly from this year and not re-releases but then you have fantastic remasters like RE0 and it feels criminal to ignore such a fantastic effort. If I had played Dragon's Dogma back when it was released on console it would've made my goty list of that year, so now I would be putting the same game on my goty list again, taking a slot that would've otherwise been used by an actual 2016 game.
But DD wasn't on steam before so whatever, but what about RE4? If I was being objective it would definitely have to be on my list for 2014 (ultimate HD version), but I opted to leave it out in favor of a new game, instead of having it on there yet again.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
In an alternate universe, SEGA is actually constantly putting games on PC. Of course for them, it's only titles like Pop in Q or a Love & Berry revival

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That's a shame. The screenshots look really, really good.

Don't discount the game on one negative opinion - even as a fan of first person experiences, I find myself drawn back to it more frequently than some others. It has a massive, inescapably suffocating sense of space and scale, one of the most unusual soundtracks (helped in no small part by the choice of composers they licensed from), and attempts to try some new things here and there to keep the player engaged between puzzles and navigating the brutalist nightmare. Some people found the platforming segments frustrating, but judging from the state of the Steam reviews, it's handling much better than many of its counterparts which also supposedly 'suck' (and almost none of them do!).

NaissanceE also sets itself apart from many of its contemporaries by lacking any voice-over narration or flowery text-dumped exposition. It's a cold, mysterious, nearly wordless world, which only speaks through its chapter titles. Yet, I still think about it and how vivid its most important character - the world - really was. It's not going to be Blame!, the creator was just inspired by one of its most memorable aspects. Whether that's good enough or not should be weighed after playing it, instead of missing out entirely.

MUnited83

For you.
In an alternate universe, SEGA is actually constantly putting games on PC. Of course for them, it's only titles like Pop in Q or a Love & Berry revival

It's insane that we will have almost perfect playability of a emulated version of Bayonetta 1 before SEGA decides to port the damn thing to PC.

KainXVIII

does it work without issues?

Yes, if you don't bother with "true" fullscreen mode which was implemented in this mod (borderless windows works is just fine, fullscreen can crash the game if you alt-tabbing), i beat FFX with it (X-2 put me off for a while, maybe later :p)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
remind me, Pulse is where you can actually grind, proper jrpg style, to max out (well, at least according to whatever you have at the time) your crystal tree thing right?

Also, isnt Pulse like half the game time, even tho its like near the end chapter wise? Im on chapter 9 out of 13 now, but I seem to remember that being the case because I know im not actually near the end, chapter number nowithstanding. 2010 was a long tiem ago >_>

FLD

remind me, Pulse is where you can actually grind, proper jrpg style, to max out (well, at least according to whatever you have at the time) your crystal tree thing right?

Also, isnt Pulse like half the game time, even tho its like near the end chapter wise? Im on chapter 9 now, but I seem to remember that being the case. 2010 was a long tiem ago >_>

Nah, there's a ton of optional content in there but as far as the main story is concerned you're basically just running through the area in a straight line.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
3:00AM GMT for the SteamGAF GOTY. Guess I'll have something to read in the morning then!

Sorry for the timing UK GAF and EuropeGAF :(

Also -

t1484611200z4.png

Ascheroth

When's Sega gonna reveal their next PC port?

In the mean time, die-hard fans are taking things into their own hands, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a0vbDboZuM&t=0s
They said in the New Year.
Expect December.

Don't discount the game on one negative opinion - even as a fan of first person experiences, I find myself drawn back to it more frequently than some others. It has a massive, inescapably suffocating sense of space and scale, one of the most unusual soundtracks (helped in no small part by the choice of composers they licensed from), and attempts to try some new things here and there to keep the player engaged between puzzles and navigating the brutalist nightmare. Some people found the platforming segments frustrating, but judging from the state of the Steam reviews, it's handling much better than many of its counterparts which also supposedly 'suck' (and almost none of them do!).

NaissanceE also sets itself apart from many of its contemporaries by lacking any voice-over narration or flowery text-dumped exposition. It's a cold, mysterious, nearly wordless world, which only speaks through its chapter titles. Yet, I still think about it and how vivid its most important character - the world - really was. It's not going to be Blame!, the creator was just inspired by one of its most memorable aspects. Whether that's good enough or not should be weighed after playing it, instead of missing out entirely.

I've put it on my wishlist. The world has me fascinated enough to give it a try eventually, regardless of how I'd enjoy the gameplay.

Tizoc

Just spam SEGA EU's twitter people. They were active these past 2 days last I checked just spam them til their PR guy blurts something~

Nah, there's a ton of optional content in there but as far as the main story is concerned you're basically just running through the area in a straight line.

Said optional content is merely (boss) battles. They can be tough without the right equipment/paradigms/abilities.

Nzyme32

When's Sega gonna reveal their next PC port?

In the mean time, die-hard fans are taking things into their own hands, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a0vbDboZuM&t=0s

This year, but they said something similar last year... so.... who knows. You are probably a little more likely to see it than HL3. My predicted HL3 launch date would suit the American formatting of 23rd Jan 2021

1 / 23 / 21

Witcher 3 lighting mod STLM just got updated to 3.0

https://vimeo.com/199532525

Oh damn. By the time I have finished Witcher 2 (currently working through slowly) I'll have an even better graphics card to mess with all these mods. Currently loving the look of Witcher 2 with Ubersampling and at such a high framerate. A friend saw me playing it on the TV and was blown away by the IQ and smoothness. Can't actually remember what the first game was that I supersampled in a similar way, but I remember being equally thrilled.

FLD

Said optional content is merely (boss) battles. They can be tough without the right equipment/paradigms/abilities.

Is it really just boss fights? It's been a while, so my memory of it is kinda fuzzy. I remember the Cie'th stone missions being very time consuming if you're doing them all. I 100%'d the game and a huge chunk of my 120h of playtime was spent in Pulse alone.

Tizoc

Is it really just boss fights? It's been a while, so my memory of it is kinda fuzzy. I remember the Cie'th stone missions being very time consuming if you're doing them all. I 100%'d the game and a huge chunk of my 120h of playtime was spent in Pulse alone.

The Cie'th Stone missions ARE the optional (boss) battles.
They tell you to go someplace and battle either a tough enemy or a group of enemies.
That's all there is in FF13; battles, battles, battles.

I know it's a silly complaint to say considering one could say the same about other FF games, but skip all the cutscenes and look at the gameplay and you'll just find a combat and upgrade system with an uninspired level direction/design.

FLD

They tell you to go someplace and battle either a tough enemy or a group of enemies.

I know it's a silly complaint to say considering one could say the same about other FF games, but skip all the cutscenes and look at the gameplay and you'll just find a combat and upgrade system with an uninspired level direction/design.

Well, at least the battle system is pretty good. :p Speaking of which, I really need to get around to playing Lightning Returns...

Naarmight

If you don't mind a rare poster voting, I can be the 150th

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Street Fighter V
(4 Points) - Enter the Gungeon
(3 Points) - Stories: The Path of Destinies
(2 Points) - Total War: Warhammer
(1 Point) - Tricky Towers

Street Fighter V is a funny old one, it is a really good game, that Capcom keep trying to torpedo. I have had a lot of fun with it, and I hope it continues in to 2017, and on that note I need to make some time this week to actually settle down into season 2. That said part of me wants to add it to the EA list as well, as it really was released far too early.

EA:
(3 Points) - Grip
(2 Points) - Everspace
(1 Point) - Torment: Tides of Numenera

I tend to avoid EA, so all of these were done in a kickstarter way, even Grip. Grip wins for the simple reason that I have been impressed with how far it has come this year, it needs more work, but really happy with how it is turning out. Really looking forward to all 3 of these being finished

As for DLC, the only thing I can think to vote for are the Skullgirls 2nd Encore Upgrade, and the story mode for SFV. So I am going to leave that catagory, though since the new BoI DLC has rekindled my addicition I would hazard a guess that would be my number 1 for 2017

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
nope

i think i figured it out tho, the extra items on the list that appear when u scroll down have the whiter highlight, while the items in the initial not-expanded list are the blue ones

not sure if it's a bug with enhanced steam or steam itself, nothing big tho
The first color is Steam Inventory Helper, and since you have turned on continuous scrolling (a feature Inventory Helper doesn't have), everything after the jump is highlighted by Enhanced Steam

Ascheroth

Yeah. And the upgrade system isn't even good.
FFXIII had nothing that could serve as a breather or a change of pace.
I still liked it, but it has a ton of obvious flaws.

Oh wow, Oxenfree is actually quite scary at times.
Or I'm just a massive pussy

Nah, I also thought it had legitimately unsettling parts.

Shantom

Oh, Don Bradman Cricket 17 is now out on Steam. The last version was surprisingly excellent so I'm looking forward to playing this one. There seems to be no retail version this time around though, so I can't get a cheap key that way, and Big Ant aren't very generous with their Steam sales.

Rhaknar

I do want to max out my stuff when im there tho, so I dont go in underleveled to the last fights. Thats what I remember doing on the PS3 at least.

Also, I never played 13-2 or LR, but as far as I understand, they are both radically different from 13? Like 12-2 is different, and the LR is different from 13-2? lol

FLD

I do want to max out my stuff when im there tho, so I dont go in underleveled to the last fights. Thats what I remember doing on the PS3 at least.

Also, I never played 13-2 or LR, but as far as I understand, they are both radically different from 13? Like 12-2 is different, and the LR is different from 13-2? lol

I haven't played LR yet, so I don't know about that one. But XIII-2 has a completely different structure, yeah. It's much less linear but it comes with its own issues and limitations. I was a little disappointed by XIII-2, to be honest. People online kept saying it was this huge improvement over the original but I kinda like XIII better, personally.

Ascheroth

I haven't played LR yet, so I don't know about that one. But XIII-2 has a completely different structure, yeah. It's much less linear but it comes with its own issues and limitations. I was a little disappointed by XIII-2, to be honest. People online kept saying it was this huge improvement over the original but I kinda like XIII better, personally.

I thought XIII-2 fixed some of the flaws of XIII, but... messed up the good things about XIII in the process.
The puzzles, monster catching and semi-open structure of the game went a long way to make it feel interesting the whole time.
But then the story goes to shit and they throw out all the cool lore of XIII in favor of the Etro and time shit.

And then LR is a whole different beast once again. The change in gameplay is even bigger than from XIII to XIII-2 (I liked it a lot, but mixed feeling on the timer) and the story is garbage again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom