• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Have never been able to appreciate JRPGs (or even Japanese games in general), and absolutely loathe Final Fantasy 7 having tried to get past the first disc several times and not understanding the overwhelming praise at all.

I'm trying to repent though with 2017! Decided to start off with Chrono Trigger which I finished last week, and it was fantastic from start to end. I'm now a few hours into FF6 which I'm also thoroughly enjoying so far. I've also got both Nier Automata and Persona 5 on pre-order.

Aside from JRPG's specifically I'm also on the last boss of Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and it has put both that series and Falcom on my radar looking at both Xanadu and further Ys games in the near future.

AswSE1L.gif

Man, starting with FF6 and Chrono Trigger. The only other similar game I'd put with those two is Lufia II, after that it's all downhill.

For FF7 I'm not sure it's so much overwhelmingly praised as it is culturally iconic. It represents an intersection of a lot of significant changes--Sony entering and decisively winning that console generation and the next one, 3D graphics debuting and supplanting 2D graphics, Square Soft going from somewhat successful game company to...Movie making industry juggernaut might be too strong considering how briefly it lasted, but they were certainly elevated from where they were before.

If you want some non-RPG Japanese recommendations I'd definitely recommend dabbling in the character action franchises. Oh, or the Metal Gear games. MG Rising is both.

Shade

so idlemaster is finally done? keeps saying the badge page didn't load and will retry.. had this problem last night as well and closed and reopened steam didn't work, and I just now rebooted my whole computer to install a new gpu driver and it is still doing it..

:(

and I can open my badge page just fine btw

Idlemaster is working for me atm. Did you try and download the new version? Jshackles released a cumulative fix build the other day that addresses that issue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just informed myself via the Switch AU price thread that Amazon proper will be launching in Australia later this year (Amazon.com.au has existed for a few years now, but it's just a Kindle store). Hopefully we get actual deals on PC hardware from time to time instead of the typical "Hey, it's boxing day! The largest retail day of the year! Here's an extra 10% off our usual, crappy deals."

PaulSane

so idlemaster is finally done? keeps saying the badge page didn't load and will retry.. had this problem last night as well and closed and reopened steam didn't work, and I just now rebooted my whole computer to install a new gpu driver and it is still doing it..

:(

and I can open my badge page just fine btw

Still working fine for me, i had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, i think reinstalling Idlemaster helped.

I just informed myself via the Switch AU price thread that Amazon proper will be launching in Australia later this year (Amazon.com.au has existed for a few years now, but it's just a Kindle store). Hopefully we get actual deals on PC hardware from time to time instead of the usual "Hey, it's boxing day! The largest retail day of the year! Here's an extra 10% off our usual deals."
Don't count on it. Amazon.ca has existed for a long time and it's still just nothing compared to Amazon.com

idk, i get what you mean, and i definitely have some nostalgia element to ff7 considering the age i had when i played it for the first time and how it blew my mind at the time, but i just feel like mechanics is a bad point to compare final fantasies on since honestly i think they're all pretty weak in that regard, except fftactics (idk about the ones i didn't play like 13 or 2)

to me, final fantasy games are all about the "scenes", the big memorable moments that stay with you forever, and for me, there's none better that ff7 in that regard

even if it's a really cheesy game and the story kind of doesn't make any sense (when has it in final fantasy lol), it's really a huge parade of memorable scenes and it's just an unforgettable game

i don't think it's the best game of all time or anything, but it's definitely one of my favorites
I definitely appreciate playing 7 when I did because while I never ever want to play it again, I do have a nostalgic fondness for it and got to experience it while in full zeitgeist which is not a thing that can be replicated. But I do really love the world of it, and that it was a game that featured a large breasted bartender that fought monsters with her fists as a primary party member, that is just not something you'd find elsewhere. I like tough girls.

Teggy

Bravely Default is the best jrpg

This is my 3DS game right now. The little chibi guys are pretty cute. I'm really bad at JRPGs, though. I never know if I need to grind or I'm just playing badly. I've only finished 2 JRPGs in my life, TitS and Star Ocean First Departure . I'm hoping to finish a few this year, though.

Vamphuntr

That's the complete opposite of Square's approach to FF. Takes decades and costs a small nations budget, though still incomplete.

Some feel rushed but overall you know what to expect from them. Sure they are not outstanding but they keep consistency on their quality which in a way is like comfort food that might not be the best but somehow manages to hit the spot.

Go in!!!!

Oh I agree on both account. It was just a comment about how the series has fallen. I really enjoyed the series during the PS2/GC era. I still have my discs for Symphonia GCN, Abyss PS2, Legendia PS2, Rebirth PS2, Destiny II PS2. Vesperia is probably my favorite one. Graces F was a step up combat wise but a huge step down world, lore and characters wise and what came after was pretty much budget shoe store level. Couldn't even finish Zestiria on Steam.

Wozzer

If you want some non-RPG Japanese recommendations I'd definitely recommend dabbling in the character action franchises. Oh, or the Metal Gear games. MG Rising is both.

The Metal Gear series is potentially my favourite game series :p Only last year replayed the entire series from MSX to V.

Jawmuncher

This is my 3DS game right now. The little chibi guys are pretty cute. I'm really bad at JRPGs, though. I never know if I need to grind or I'm just playing badly. I've only finished 2 JRPGs in my life, TitS and Star Ocean First Departure . I'm hoping to finish a few this year, though.

With BD take advantage of being able to turn off and on random encounters.
If you feel you need to grind turn them on max, if you're good turn them off.

Teggy

With BD take advantage of being able to turn off and on random encounters.
If you feel you need to grind turn them on max, if you're good turn them off.

I've been doing that a bit. I'm doing pretty well except I got stuck on the first side mission. I figured out how to get past the first set of bosses, but what I assume are the last 2 have a ton of hp and one of them hits 300hp at a time. This is one of those situations I would get very frustrated about in the past but I decided I would move on with the story and come back later.

Shade

no I thought it was abandoned by jshackles

Jshackles was kind enough to give us a fix:

The new version is just a quick maintenance release that fixes issues caused by a change Valve made. It was a single-line fix (that was submitted via Github by a user) that corrected a widespread problem, so I decided to push out an update.

You'll need to redownload the program from the website and simply overwrite the version you're using now with the updated binaries.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Oh I agree on both account. It was just a comment about how the series has fallen. I really enjoyed the series during the PS2/GC era. I still have my discs for Symphonia GCN, Abyss PS2, Legendia PS2, Rebirth PS2, Destiny II PS2. Vesperia is probably my favorite one. Graces F was a step up combat wise but a huge step down world, lore and characters wise and what came after was pretty much budget shoe store level. Couldn't even finish Zestiria on Steam.

My main issue with Tales of Games after Symphonia and Abyss is that the dungeons are shit with no puzzles or interesting twists to them even if gimmicky on occasions. I dont mind much the fields on Tales of Xillia and Zestiria but the dungeons is what annoys me. Also post game content has been going a bit light but that comes with them rushing stuff for anniversaries and random special events they prepare. I do hope they take some time after Berseria to make a new engine since this is the last game to be held down by PS3 and let them take some time to make that new game like it should. (Also a more generous budget and some better promo might help the sales on the west)

Tales has local coop. That's its USP.
At a point the combat system was the USP too but now there are more ARPGs out there doing interesting things with the mechanics. Tales of Phantasia still has a soft spot in my heart tbh.

Tizoc

More details on Double Dragon 4 which is releasing on Steam
http://www.co-optimus.com/article/14759/double-dragon-iv-co-op-preview.html
http://gematsu.com/2017/01/double-dragon-iv-details-background-modes-characters

Also SnakeDog
http://store.steampowered.com/app/578430/?snr=1_4_4__106

Have never been able to appreciate JRPGs (or even Japanese games in general), and absolutely loathe Final Fantasy 7 having tried to get past the first disc several times and not understanding the overwhelming praise at all.

I'm trying to repent though with 2017! Decided to start off with Chrono Trigger which I finished last week, and it was fantastic from start to end. I'm now a few hours into FF6 which I'm also thoroughly enjoying so far. I've also got both Nier Automata and Persona 5 on pre-order.

Aside from JRPG's specifically I'm also on the last boss of Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and it has put both that series and Falcom on my radar looking at both Xanadu and further Ys games in the near future.

AswSE1L.gif

Have you tried playing FF7 with mods? Namely translation and visual enhancement mods?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo fuck that FF13 boss.

Im not actually home playing it but just had a PTSD style flashback to that fight just now. Not looking forward to that crap again.

Gotta finish it tho, dat ocd

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, I played vanilla Final Fantasy VII for the first time about a year ago, and I still thought it was pretty good. I could tell if I played it for the first time when I was a kid, I'd totally be sucked into the hype. It's the same feeling I got from playing Ocarina of Time for the first time like 10 years after it released, although I felt it stronger for OoT. Disclaimer: I've only ever beaten FF Tactics Advance and FF4 DS, and I remember literally nothing of FF4, besides recognizing the music/beginning area.

The fun of the game was in the story.
You're playing a game coded by Satan except he's terrible at coding and game design, so you hack your way to better games and then eventually freedom. That's, like, hilarious. Doesn't matter how simple the gameplay is, I'm having a good time with that concept.
Yeah, I understood that point and thought it was cute, but I just felt so fatigued playing those sections, especially when I had to go back to collect things.

Tizoc

yo fuck that FF13 boss.

Im not actually home playing it but just had a PTSD style flashback to that fight just now. Not looking forward to that crap again.

Gotta finish it tho, dat ocd

Which boss Rhaky? I'll try to remember what setup I used to beat them.
Also if you want to upgrade your weapons, now could be a good time. First sell off any item you have where the description states 'premium' in it, that means that the sole purpose of that item is get Gil.
I used this guide for weapon upgrades
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/faqs/59331

Since you need to consume items to upgrade your weapons, take note of this entry in the guide-

36 x Sturdy Bone
50 x Superconductor

1 x Scarletite

36 x Sturdy Bone
2 x Ultracompact Reactor
15 x Sturdy Bone
27 x Superconductor
=======================
1 x Trapezohedron

36 x Sturdy Bone
26 x Ultracompact Reactor
36 x Sturdy Bone
2 x Particle Accelerator
12 x Superconductor

Apply this to all weapons to get their to theri 2nd tier at least. Trapzeohedron are ultra rare drops and Is trongly recommend not going for them.
So just upgrade til the 2nd tier maxed out and you should have an easier time with bosses.

MaxiLive

It's ma Birthday! So that means games, games? Games!: (hopefully)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MaxiLive, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Mafia 2 -- MB-20C95EBE46B657D7
FEZ -- MB-78B32A7ABC4E5FC7
FTL - Faster Than Light -- MB-2E7840DE2D6FDAF0
Shantae - Risky's Revenge -- MB-506D9A6BAAAA5319
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter -- MB-B8B76FB4BB290ED1

t1485071910z1.png

Humble told me these keys hadn't been claimed but I'm not a 100% sure, sorry if they have been!

C4rter

What's going on with the discount for La Mulana. It's been as low as 1,39€ on Steam and for some time now their sale prices are like 7,49€ again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's going on with the discount for La Mulana. It's been as low as 1,39€ on Steam and for some time now their sale prices are like 7,49€ again.

At a guess, Playism analysed the game's sales data and concluded that discounts above 75% did not attract enough extra attention to be worthwhile. The current 50% discount is likely due to the fact that the game was 75% just a few weeks ago.

Ascheroth

Guys, Evoland 2 is really good.
It's this kind of game where everything just feels 'right' and you get this warm and fuzzy feeling when playing.
It even has a card game with collectable cards.
1$ is a ridiculous price and you even get 2 other games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wish me luck, with two achievement images in my upcoming game, I'm testing how okay Valve is with adult content (kind of out of curiosity and kind of for knowledge for future titles). The game is properly marked as having gore, nudity, 18+ game, etc. And two achievements are related to that, and I see nothing on the achievement documentation about achievements needing to be all-user friendly (trading card stuff and marketing pictures need to me marked appropriately, but that makes sense since anyone can see that stuff).

8d8016f7bc7c93c03d04d9d205bb7697631d9191.jpg
97090763a1df5162bd9c441042da31fd8f77867d.jpg

Either I'm about to get into trouble, or this is fine. Here's hoping it's the latter. I hope Valve introduced these tags and systems to allow more adult-oriented stuff to get through, just properly marked as such.

ArjanN

Wish me luck, with two achievement images in my upcoming game, I'm testing how okay Valve is with adult content (kind of out of curiosity and kind of for knowledge for future titles). The game is properly marked as having gore, nudity, 18+ game, etc. And two achievements are related to that, and I see nothing on the achievement documentation about achievements needing to be all-user friendly (trading card stuff and marketing pictures need to me marked appropriately, but that makes sense since anyone can see that stuff).

8d8016f7bc7c93c03d04d9d205bb7697631d9191.jpg
97090763a1df5162bd9c441042da31fd8f77867d.jpg

Either I'm about to get into trouble, or this is fine. Here's hoping it's the latter. I hope Valve introduced these tags and systems to allow more adult-oriented stuff to get through, just properly marked as such.

Eh, you're probably fine, I'm pretty sure I've seen similar level risque/gory achievement icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom