• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
The thread on steamgifts is pretty funny, its him sort of trying to make people believe its legit with lots of alt accounts.

Scary amount of people have fallen for it already, as in they paid but have received no game yet.

Haha, reading through it right now. Idiots got what they deserved for trusting such a dodgy site

Seriously, this.

I finished the campaign last night and then immediately started it again (Arcade Campaign) because I promised SteamGAF some Broforce on stream. I then proceeded to beat the game again in one sitting this time.

And I'd go back again too, I still have more unlocks.

...I need this game.

Bought crysis but it runs really bad on my 7850. No matter if low or ultra detail. Looks like 25fps or so

Is the game that unoptimized or is there something else going on ?

What resolution? I remember playing it at 720p on a 6850 without a problem (apart from the memory leak on the final stage).

Dr Dogg

I need to try some Bro-op. Will have to check out the OT and see when people are playing!

I was playing local bro-op the other night (trying to work out how to get 3 controllers to work was the hard part as well as very loudly telling each other "shhhhhhhh!") but I did see a fair few of SteamGAF organising groups and such seeing as online bro-op is in the latest update (though I might be imagining that). With 2 players it's quite hectic but you can fly through a stage really easy. With 3 though the stage just start to disintegrate with constant gunfire and specials going off. I can't imagine how crazy 4 player would get.

Awesome game at the moment and there seems to be a fair bit to do and regular updates. I think the Giant Bomb guys did an Unfinished video as pictures don't do Broforce justice at all.

Edit: And now I see Frost was streaming the other night.

liezryou

This site cant be legit... can it? Came across it on steamgifts forum (I know, I know... scammers haven)

http://www.gamesfordollar.com/

If its too good to be true as they say.

So to buy a game for one dollar you have to:
This is premium offer made by admin of the Games For Dollar Website. To be able to buy this game, you must meet following criteria:

- You must have $10 or more dollars in your GFD wallet
– You must offer 10 or more games (and maximum 5 indie games)
– You didn’t buy any premium offer in last 7 days

lol 100% legit imo

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm at the start of world 3 in 140, so far a cool game with a very interesting use of music.

I wish it had a better save system though. It only saves after you beat a world, but since there are checkpoints everywhere I don't really see the logic. It doesn't make the game harder, only inconvenient. Hardly a big issue since it's not a long game, but considering that some sections can take quite a few retries (plus the bosses) it means I can't really sit down and play it in short bursts like I'd like to.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Do we have anyone over 40 posting here? Just curious

Gaming started getting popular in the 80s so I guess the older gaffers should be in their mid 30s now

Yeah, I apparently need Broforce too. I'm not sold on playing through pre-release games though. I only have a couple early access games so far, but my instinct is to wait until they're "out."

I5 3550
Samsung SSD
8GB RAM
Z77 Board

Crysis 2 ran a lot better when I played it last year

Do you play it on a TV or something similar? The CryEngine is infamous for locking itself to the lowest reported Hz number which often is 24hz meaning the game is essentially locked at 24fps. Try to run the game in windowed-mode and see if anything changes.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
fun fact:

Me and Stump both have 5,1 hours on record in Shovel Knight and the exact same amount of achievements (18)

vermadas

Gaming started getting popular in the 80s so I guess the older gaffers should be in their mid 30s now

34 here. I cut my teeth gaming on an Atari 2600. I do feel old sometimes when I see the young'uns talking about school and such.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 34, I have a beautiful wife and two lovely kids and a ph-d

Arthea

I'm still not sold on Broforce, maybe because I'm still not done with Metal Slug 3 or maybe because it seems more of a platformer than run and gun on top of that an EA game.

yes, we have, many on gaf, some on steamgaf too.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, I apparently need Broforce too. I'm not sold on playing through pre-release games though. I only have a couple early access games so far, but my instinct is to wait until they're "out."

This seems to be early access done the right way though, the developers are taking suggestions for improvements and new features, they're tweaking the game, adding more and more content and, most importantly, it's already fun to play. If they shut up shop tomorrow I'd still say it was worth getting, with everything that's still to come it's more than worth it.

39 here. Got my first pong machine when i was 4, then moved on up to the Atari from there. No idea how/why my parents decided to get me these devices, but i am sure it changed the way my life turned out ( learned programming because i wanted to make games).

Mokoi

Banned
T_T

thanks yooo!!

Happy birthday Copons!

Happy birthday Copons, and may your 30-ies will be good and full of price mistakes and giveaway wins.

Please, kindly tell me you are kidding!

I begin to think that me and Tellaerin are posting corpses when I read you, guys. (><)
Gandalf and The Cryptkeeper?

If you told me your age, I probably wouldn't think you were old, but based on your comments, you might think I was still a spry young whippersnapper.

It's all in the perspective.

Ha, I turned 30 back at the end of April, I'm all for not calling us old folk.

I'll be joining you next month, just face it we're getting old. We deserve to be treated like the senior citizens we are :p

take it from me, it's not all bad (i hit 30 some time ago....)
still love alpacas

I'll be joining you guys in the geezer club next month.

Geriatrics ahoy!

I'm 34, I have a beautiful wife and two lovely kids and a ph-d

I'm surrounded by a bunch old folks :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Im 25. I like having long walks at the beach, drink piña coladas (virgin like myself) and play videogames in my underwear.

Eh? Why is the gridview resetting everytime I restart Steam? I followed salsa's and Grief's instructions for having zero space between tiles and it worked. But after restarting Steam I have to manually adjust the slider to get zero space again.

Dr Dogg

This seems to be early access done the right way though, the developers are taking suggestions for improvements and new features, they're tweaking the game, adding more and more content and, most importantly, it's already fun to play. If they shut up shop tomorrow I'd still say it was worth getting, with everything that's still to come it's more than worth it.

Yeah they seem to be really involved with the community, well early customers moreover. I was wondering what they were planning for achievements but they're taking suggestions right now. What with this and Super TIME Force: Ultra coming soon there's some crazy co-op 2D arcade style shooters bringing back the memories of pumping 10p's into old arcade machines.

a/s/l check everyone

Bizarrely that's showing your age as is.

yuraya

I feel old at 25. So I can only imagine how miserable it must be you 30 year olds.

But anyways Happy Birthday Copons. Hope you have a great day :)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah they seem to be really involved with the community, well early customers moreover. I was wondering what they were planning for achievements but they're taking suggestions right now. What with this and Super TIME Force: Ultra coming soon there's some crazy co-op 2D arcade style shooters bringing back the memories of pumping 10p's into old arcade machines.

Super Time Forceeeeeeeeeee. Yessssssss. Can't wait for that.

It's funny that there's a bunch of awesome pixel art style games coming out that I'm excited for, both Broforce and STFU, plus Gods Will Be Watching and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Guess today's thing is comparing ages.
So that's what we do today, get melancholic.
Welp, I'm somewhat older than most, younger than some, feel like a grandpa.

Gimme... 8 more months and I can say yes. Started on an Atari 2600 and an ADAM computer, then spent most of my youth playing on a C64, then got out of gaming for a while (skipped about half of the 8-bit generation and all of the 16-bit), then got pulled back in with the Playstation. Am just now completing my conversion from a console-centric gamer back into a PC-centric gamer.

I think there are two routes to becoming an old-gamer these days. One route is to go "full grognard", where basically gaming defines you. Your friends think of you as "the videogames guy" and it's by far your primary hobby, to the exclusion of most everything else. Sort of like "ham radio guys" "model train guys" "civil war re-enactment guys" etc. The other route is to just have it be one part, but not a dominant part, of your life. Just one hobby among many. Just one media platform among a cornucopia of options.

I'm not sure if you choose the path or the path chooses you, but i'm very, very glad I ended up on the second route.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So, I've been 30 for nine hours and I already feel that now I'm entitled to whatever shit comes up in my mind and everybody will be like yes Copons is totally right because is now a wise and respectable man, he should just need to finally drop the beard and wear a tie, but respectable nonetheless.

Happy birthday my friend. From one 30-something to another, the best advice I can give you is "Never trade your beard for a tie."

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Any UK-Steam-GAFfers around my age remember Digitiser on Teletext? That was awesome. Remember reading it in the morning before school and waiting for the pages to tick over, and laughing at the snakes and Mr T talking about kids knocking his bins over. Good times.

MisterM

30 here. I grew up on Frogger cocktail cabinets in "family pubs", arcade games in dodgy seaside resorts and the Commodore 64.

MisterM

Any UK-Steam-GAFfers around my age remember Digitiser on Teletext? That was awesome. Remember reading it in the morning before school and waiting for the pages to tick over, and laughing at the snakes and Mr T talking about kids knocking his bins over. Good times.

BAMBOOZLE REPRESENT!

Edit - Yes, I remember Digitiser.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think there are two routes to becoming an old-gamer these days. One route is to go "full grognard", where basically gaming defines you. Your friends think of you as "the videogames guy" and it's by far your primary hobby, to the exclusion of most everything else. Sort of like "ham radio guys" "model train guys" "civil war re-enactment guys" etc. The other route is to just have it be one part, but not a dominant part, of your life. Just one hobby among many. Just one media platform among a cornucopia of options.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being "the video games guy", as long as you also try to balance your life out with a few other things as well. For example, I feel like the two things that define me are my family, and video games, in that order.

But everyone I know (even my family) lovingly refers to me as "the video games guy".

Dr Dogg

Super Time Forceeeeeeeeeee. Yessssssss. Can't wait for that.

It's funny that there's a bunch of awesome pixel art style games coming out that I'm excited for, both Broforce and STFU, plus Gods Will Be Watching and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Hahaha like buses...

Stupidly I've gone and labeled STFU as co-op when it's really single player but having all the extra copies really makes you think in a co-op kind of way. Especially in the areas when you need to deal a massive amount of damage in a short period of time. Summer can't come soon enough.

Good old Mr Biffo. Funnily even by today's standards, Digitizer was some of the best games writing ever done. And in horrid yellow and purple vision to boot. Used to love his column in Edge. Charlie Brooker's articles in PC Zone was stuff of legend too.

Eanan

Its hilarious when you get traders adding you to buy your games, even though they have multiple copies of the game in their inventory, and they straight up tell you they want to buy it off you to sell for profit.

Also, one hour left:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Eanan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

4sydgG8m.jpg

Sid Meier's Civilization V -- MB-E9205D9BCE85A053 - Taken by Uni on Everything!. 11 entrants total.

t1404745085z1.png

abracadaver

Do you play it on a TV or something similar? The CryEngine is infamous for locking itself to the lowest reported Hz number which often is 24hz meaning the game is essentially locked at 24fps. Try to run the game in windowed-mode and see if anything changes.

Wow. That could be it. I remember my TV showing 24hz when the game started but I thought that was only for the intro movies.

Is there a way to force 60hz for fullscreen ?

Gimme... 8 more months and I can say yes. Started on an Atari 2600 and an ADAM computer, then spent most of my youth playing on a C64, then got out of gaming for a while (skipped about half of the 8-bit generation and all of the 16-bit), then got pulled back in with the Playstation. Am just now completing my conversion from a console-centric gamer back into a PC-centric gamer.

I'm not sure if you choose the path or the path chooses you, but i'm very, very glad I ended up on the second route.

I'm only 8 months or so behind you, Abundant before I turn 40.

I had an ADAM computer as well (also started with the 2600). The difference is that I veered heavily into console gaming right away. Sega Master System, then I got a Genesis (and I bought a NES actually after I bought my Genny). SNES, and ect...

I've generally owned the main 3 consoles of a given hardware cycle. I didn't actually get a PC until 2000. I've not yet bought any consoles for the current generation (no Wii U, PS4, or Xbone), though I've generally bought gameboy iterations and I rather liked both PSP and Vita.

Gaming is definately my main hobby, though I certainly do other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom