• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messiek

So if I had to choose between Mercenary Kings and Broforce, which one would you guys recommend?

I played Mercenary Kings on the PS4 and it was fun as hell, but Broforce also seems crazy!

I think Broforce will grant you more fun over time, but Mercenary Kings is a great game too.

So, I've been 30 for nine hours and I already feel that now I'm entitled to whatever shit comes up in my mind and everybody will be like yes Copons is totally right because is now a wise and respectable man, he should just need to finally drop the beard and wear a tie, but respectable nonetheless.

Happy Birthday dude. You're one of the old guys now

I'll be joining you in a couple years...

liezryou

But seriously, a game can be not for you, or misunderstood by you, or you could have been in foul mood while playing it. Unless the game is broken, as in "it doesn't run on any hardware", it's hard to be sure that a game is just bad.

Oh ok, i thought we were talking about video games here for a second. Not literature that can be misunderstood.

ArjanN

Oh wow. $30 for Next Car Games Early Access is just no, hun. Got burned with DayZ won't get fooled again.

That, too. If they actually made a Burnout with this techonology... mmmmmmmm. Shame it's going for "destruction derby" instead of "racer with soft body destruction." I mean putting cars into woodchippers is fine and dandy and all but:

-Needs controller/racing wheel support

Flatout (and I assume Next Car Game as well, as it's pretty much the next Flatout in everything but name) always had a pretty decent amount of normal racing where you really couldn't crash too much or it would slow you down/you'd end up wrecked.

-Needs more than the tech-demo right now.

Do you mean as a demo? Because you do get more than the tech-demo if you get the early access, the sneak peek tech thing and the regular game are two different launchers on Steam.

That's main reason why I don't write negative reviews, another is that I don't want to waste time on games I don't like, in any form.
But seriously, a game can be not for you, or misunderstood by you, or you could have been in foul mood while playing it. Unless the game is broken, as in "it doesn't run on any hardware", it's hard to be sure that a game is just bad.

I've only written one negative review so far, my review made its way to the top of the pile and the game was pulled from steam shortly after. I'm not saying it was aliens but...

Of course it had nothing to do with me, but I agree with you, I could write a long diatribe on FootLOL, but I just uninstalled it and tried to forget it ever existed.

Dr Dogg

It's hard to argue against that, it just that I don't really have any need of a handheld. And Nintendo stance on region locking and user accounts made me very reluctant to buy any of their consoles.

One day my NA copy of SMT IV will get some use. Well I could just pony up and by it from the eShop when it becomes available but that would be giving in to region locking.

Mercenary Kings has a bit more structure to it, and you can craft new weapons/armour etc, and there's more in the way of missions, but Broforce is really, really fun. Plus it's already good and they're going to be adding more. I'd go with Broforce to be honest!

Edit: I should point out Broforce is Early Access so they're still adding lots to it - it may get more features as it continues development.

Just saw a preview in the OT of what looked like an Aliens themed update for some levels. Crazy good fun in bro-op though was a little hectic the other night when we came back from the pub a little worse for ware. Levels are a little short but it is in alpha and they do lend themselves to rapid fire play.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
One day my NA copy of SMT IV will get some use. Well I could just pony up and by it from the eShop when it becomes available but that would be giving in to region locking.

Just saw a preview in the OT of what looked like an Aliens themed update for some levels. Crazy good fun in bro-op though was a little hectic the other night when we came back from the pub a little worse for ware. Levels are a little short but it is in alpha and they do lend themselves to rapid fire play.

I need to try some Bro-op. Will have to check out the OT and see when people are playing!

Guys - I think we have a problem here.
This is freaking genius.
iZorwLkDN2TsL.PNG
Usually I have to go http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ru /=us /=de separately to change region. jschackles here's a new feature you should add in ES.

Copons

That's main reason why I don't write negative reviews, another is that I don't want to waste time on games I don't like, in any form.

But I actually believe that game's gameplay is sloppy and not really funny at all (while on the other hand I firmly believe that its inclusion in the Humble "Eye Candy" Bundle is totally deserved), I mean, I objectively believe so.
At the same time, the awkwardness comes from the fact that... I could have hurt the dev feelings or something... Like, I don't know him, he could be one who just doesn't know how to withstand criticism (like me, for example), and it being an indie dev he most likely lacks the structure needed to overcome this kind of stuff (both feeling-wise and money-wise).

Oh fuck, I guess I'm being way too heavy, but still. :(

Congrats on getting old!

T_T

thanks yooo!!

Shengar

But I actually believe that game's gameplay is sloppy and not really funny at all (while on the other hand I firmly believe that its inclusion in the Humble "Eye Candy" Bundle is totally deserved), I mean, I objectively believe so.
At the same time, the awkwardness comes from the fact that... I could have hurt the dev feelings or something... Like, I don't know him, he could be one who just doesn't know how to withstand criticism (like me, for example), and it being an indie dev he most likely lacks the structure needed to overcome this kind of stuff (both feeling-wise and money-wise).

Oh fuck, I guess I'm being way too heavy, but still. :(

I think as long as your review don't attack the developer personally (and/or using harsh words too much), it wouldn't matter much to the developer. Better someone write a negative review rather than getting ignored, at least for me.

Tizoc

Mercenary Kings has a bit more structure to it, and you can craft new weapons/armour etc, and there's more in the way of missions, but Broforce is really, really fun. Plus it's already good and they're going to be adding more. I'd go with Broforce to be honest!

Edit: I should point out Broforce is Early Access so they're still adding lots to it - it may get more features as it continues development.

I'd rather a complete gameplay overhaul where it becomes closer to Metal Slug. A fast paced 2d action shooter would be far better than the borefest this game is atm.

Agreed, really disappointed with Mercenary Kings, wish it was more Metal Slug like how Broforce is and less...uh slow it is.

hear, hear :)

The speed of the gameplay is what really put me off. I liked the idea of missions and crafting and stuff, but expected the actual missions to play a lot more closer to the fast paced run and gun games I grew up with like the Contras and Metal Slugs.

And while we're talking run and gun, Konami, FFS, port Hard Corps. Uprising with all DLC, please.

Dude, Happy Birthday!
I hope you achieve your dreams :D

I'm not totally awake yet and I read this as "I hope you achieve your name".
I was like... "what? how in the hell does one achieve copons?". :lol

Arthea

Happy birthday Copons, and may your 30-ies will be good and full of price mistakes and giveaway wins.

Please, kindly tell me you are kidding!

I begin to think that me and Tellaerin are posting corpses when I read you, guys. (><)

Why is this a useful feature? I thought you couldn't buy directly from other regions without some serious hoops to jump through.
Yes, you can't buy from other regions. But when you buy from a russian trader, first you need to look up price differences between regions and how much rubel the game actually costs. This would save a lot of time.

So if I had to choose between Mercenary Kings and Broforce, which one would you guys recommend?

I played Mercenary Kings on the PS4 and it was fun as hell, but Broforce also seems crazy!

Broforce, having tons of fun with this game already even though it's early access. Beat the campaign and still looking forward to playing more

Happy birthday Copons, and may your 30-ies will be good and full of price mistakes and giveaway wins.

Please, kindly tell me you are kidding!

I begin to think that me and Tellaerin are posting corpses when I read you, guys. (><)

Gandalf and The Cryptkeeper?

If you told me your age, I probably wouldn't think you were old, but based on your comments, you might think I was still a spry young whippersnapper.

It's all in the perspective.

Arthea

Oh ok, i thought we were talking about video games here for a second. Not literature that can be misunderstood.

The game can be misunderstood, I've seen it many times. Even recently, Long Live the Queen is constantly dismissed because of how it looks, for example.
It can happen, literature or no

Yes, you can't buy from other regions. But when you buy from a russian trader, first you need to look up price differences between regions and how much rubel the game actually costs. This would save a lot of time.

ES syncs with SteamPrices and shows the price of a game per a set number of regions regardless of what region your store is on. How is this different/better?

if you just want to see the price of the game in other regions then ES already have this feature.
bYDq6lP.png

ah yes, this.

Shengar

The game can be misunderstood, I've seen it many times. Even recently, Long Live the Queen is constantly dismissed because of how it looks, for example.
It can happen, literature or no

Any medium can be misunderstood, no exception. This is why we have many creative person got famous after their death, but largely ignored in their lifetime.

if you just want to see the price of the game in other regions then ES already have this feature.
bYDq6lP.png
I use that feature a lot. It's nifty. But I have to go to the regional storepage to see restrictions, region-locking, low violence version etc.
So, even after seeing the regional prices in ES I still have to change stores.

Broforce, having tons of fun with this game already even though it's early access. Beat the campaign and still looking forward to playing more

Seriously, this.

I finished the campaign last night and then immediately started it again (Arcade Campaign) because I promised SteamGAF some Broforce on stream. I then proceeded to beat the game again in one sitting this time.

And I'd go back again too, I still have more unlocks.

Which reminds me -- I could swear that I unlocked Lt. Ripley during the stream last night... but I couldn't confirm because I managed to do it on a stage where I'd beaten the "trigger" and it was offscreen... so there's a moment where it shows the level complete stuff and it says 1 more save to next unlock, but I manage to do it off camera. I can hear the announcer say something, but I have no idea what it was. When I finally got the character I didn't have before, I thought "this looks like the A:CM pulse rifle." So to randomly, like 20 unlocks in, hit a female was a bit strange.

For those who are interested in the game, check out the stream I did last night:
http://www.twitch.tv/corrosivefrost/c/4611936

One of my favorite moments of the stream, btw, was at 6:08, when Dot starts yelling at JaseC to stop messaging me through the stream. Unfortunately, JaseC was not watching. :lol

One more helpful thing:
http://broforce.wikia.com/wiki/Bros

List of all the current "bros".
Seems I only have one more character to unlock... and I need to do it ASAP.

abracadaver

Bought crysis but it runs really bad on my 7850. No matter if low or ultra detail. Looks like 25fps or so

Is the game that unoptimized or is there something else going on ?

Eanan

Guess no.

Contact the owner if you want: janhorak2000@gmail.com

He lives either in Spain, Catalonia or Canary Islands.

*GAfDetectiveActivated*

Edit: Lol, His phone number comes form the countries listed, but he lives in Czech Republic.

The thread on steamgifts is pretty funny, its him sort of trying to make people believe its legit with lots of alt accounts.

Scary amount of people have fallen for it already, as in they paid but have received no game yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bought crysis but it runs really bad on my 7850. No matter if low or ultra detail. Looks like 25fps or so

Is the game that unoptimized or is there something else going on ?

What's the rest of your PC like? It should run fine on modern rigs and at low detail it should easily be locked at 60 fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom