• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinkles

It was already in a groupees bundle, so maybe they're desperate.
Ah that is the reason why I already own it, I just wanted to buy it after reading Touma's impressions.
Now only to find free time for another RPG, I still fail to finish FF8 after 45+ hours, M&M X is next up in line and I didn't even buy Divinity:OS yet.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
It's the same company and playfire rewards are directly linked with GMG. Why wouldn't you be banned form both?

Many members from here got banned for cheating rewards but they were able to use the GMG store after the ban.

I had some trouble with them in the past. They sold me a non working Warhammer Dow II key and refused to give me a refund which resulted in an argument, so I guess it was personal

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Caerith: I saw you played a few hours of Prime World Defenders the other day. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the game, when you get some time.

Hugstable

Banned
Hmm just won 6$ in M&M money today after not winning for a week now. Got like 4 bucks in my account, so what are some good recommendations for something in Steam for $10? I was thinking of DLC for Payday 2, but I know that's gonna get cheaper the closer we get to another Payday 2 sale, so I might wait on those. Crimzon Clover is looking like my #1 pick right now.

Many members from here got banned for cheating rewards but they were able to use the GMG store after the ban.

I had some trouble with them in the past. They sold me a non working Warhammer Dow II key and refused to give me a refund which resulted in an argument, so I guess it was personal
They might've made a note of that and just decided to ban you outright after finding out you cheated achievements too. But this may just be their MO for playfire abusers now, who knows.

Coreda

It might be the particular mod that saw it or it might be a new rule. You should PM a mod if you want clarification. :p

Yeah, I'm thinking it was just something a mod felt wasn't right rather than any rule, as two new list threads with mostly pictures have been active in the last day. PM'd EatChildren but no reply.

The game takes off after about 90 minutes. The first hour or so is kind of boring. But the ride for the rest of the game is great. I almost quit on it as well but I am glad I stuck with it. One of my favorite indie games from this past year.

90 minutes... hmm.

very informative stuff
Thanks for taking the time. You shouldn't have :)

I actually consider both BF2 and BC2 to be better than BF3, but your mileage may vary.
The problem with BC2 is you essentially get dunked on until you hit level 18 and acquire the magnum ammo perk. Until that point, you will be outgunned in just about any 1v1 scenario.
I recommend that you just play it safe until that point.
Yeah, there are many vocal posters praising BC2 over the rest, so maybe I had unrealistic expectations. I have to say though, the SP of BC2 is one of the best I have ever played. How come this doesn't get a sequel but the cookie-cutter, boring modern BF campaign does? Such a shame. Maybe I'll give BC2 a chance sometime again.

Talking about Steam Deals. Legendary that forgettable? Screens don't look tantalizing tbh.
This I found funny.
ss_0f193fba9c6b1bf00f9eca8a8f35175bb06ab0dc.1920x1080.jpg
ss_632edc1204e0ca6af35c572d47d354fd700b017c.1920x1080.jpg
Is the president and nurse played by the same actress? Haha. Has it's charme. Anyone recommend Iron Sky?
Wow, I remember this CG girl way back in a game magazine.

I cheated some rewards during their summer sale because I didn't have time to play the games. They caught me red handed and banned me both from Playfire and GMG. Submitted a support ticket asking them why was I banned from the GMG store as well and a very rude employee of theirs replied to me and basically told me to fuck off and deal with it.

You're not alone. The same thing happened to me a few weeks back. I deserved it - was idling a couple games and juked the achievements because I didn't have time to play. Didn't bother to deal with their support staff, because they're notorious for being dickish towards anyone who emails them, even those who were paying customers in the first place.

I still have access to my account and the store, but I haven't bothered buying anything since then.

Caerith

Caerith: I saw you played a few hours of Prime World Defenders the other day. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the game, when you get some time.

I posted some early impressions yesterday, but the gist:

Things I Like:
  • Individual challenges/achievements for each level keep my interest and prevent me from just using the "one size fits all" approach.
  • Being able to summon waves early in exchange for resources is an interesting risk/reward mechanic.
  • Being able to level up towers for permanent stat boosts adds a sense of progression.
Things I Don't Like:
  • Being able to level up towers makes it seem that some levels are designed with leveled-up towers in mind, necessitating grinding rather than pure strategy.
  • Silver, needed to level towers, buy stuff, and unlock perks, is relatively scarce and thus necessitates grinding.
  • On first run, being told to buy the game on the App Store.

Teeth

I agree that I deserved the ban from Playfire rewards. I can't see the reason behind the GMG ban though

My guess is that they consider it equivalent to hacking your GMG account to get free credit. They may see it as the same thing as stealing from them (I do not see it that way, but they might).

They also probably want to send a harsh message to anyone who abuses the system as it's so easy to do.

Wok

Hahaha well acquired taste is putting it likely. I think Brutal Legend is really a Marmite game, you'll either love it or you'll hate it. Well sections of at least!

Ah yeah I see. I've usually got my imgr account logged in and just save what I want to the desktop and drop it in and upload easy peazy. Does ShareX allow you to do any more editing of an image other than cropping it? That where even a basic work flow of Paint offers a bit of flexibility for me. So say you wanted to crop an image but it contained credentials or info you didn't want to show but can't crop out like a cd key or something, could you alter that in ShareX? Like just scribble over the bits you didn't want to show?

Infact, I did not think about it, but yes, there is "obfuscate". It is just that you have to be careful not to upload the image without scribbling over the bits.

zmKF3At.png

Didn't bother to deal with their support staff, because they're notorious for being dickish towards anyone who emails them, even those who were paying customers in the first place.

I can attest to this, as I've bought plenty of stuff from GMG. I've been going back and forth with them for weeks trying to get missing Playfire credit credited, and they pretty much ended it today letting me know that everything looks alright on their end, even though I know I'm missing at least $15 of credit.

When they removed the check marks next to rewards, everything started going downhill from there. Now you can't tell if things get credited correctly, and if you call them on it they have some kind of magical ability to tell you what has and hasn't been credited, with no way for you to corroborate it.

Definitely not worth going out of your way to do any rewards now -- especially since they lowered reward values for games not sold on GMG.

Deitus

Talking about Steam Deals. Legendary that forgettable? Screens don't look tantalizing tbh.
This I found funny.

Is the president and nurse played by the same actress? Haha. Has it's charme.

Why is the president Sarah Palin? Why does she have an Alienware laptop next to her sci-fi future computer?

Caerith

Hmm just won 6$ in M&M money today after not winning for a week now. Got like 4 bucks in my account, so what are some good recommendations for something in Steam for $10? I was thinking of DLC for Payday 2, but I know that's gonna get cheaper the closer we get to another Payday 2 sale, so I might wait on those. Crimzon Clover is looking like my #1 pick right now.
Abyss Odyssey, maybe? It's $9.99 on pre-order and seems like the sort of game you'd want to be in on from day 1 (I think I read that future bosses are going to be unlocked based on the community's progress?).

Time to give the Risen series a try.

Have fun! They're some of my favorite games despite the combat.

I kinda want to preorder this just because they actually removed all the broken achievements from Risen 2.

Sort of. The "do something X number of times" achievements are still kinda broken and reset their count every time you exit the game. Can be gotten around through judicious save/load or just never exiting, but still.

Lomax

I can attest to this, as I've bought plenty of stuff from GMG. I've been going back and forth with them for weeks trying to get missing Playfire credit credited, and they pretty much ended it today letting me know that everything looks alright on their end, even though I know I'm missing at least $15 of credit.

When they removed the check marks next to rewards, everything started going downhill from there. Now you can't tell if things get credited correctly, and if you call them on it they have some kind of magical ability to tell you what has and hasn't been credited, with no way for you to corroborate it.

Definitely not worth going out of your way to do any rewards now -- especially since they lowered reward values for games not sold on GMG.

They've slashed rewards across the board, and even though they've increased how often the scan accounts now, I haven't had a single achievement actually grant a reward for almost a week now, even if it was scanned. I think we all knew the program was too good to be true and would never last, and I've gotten a bunch of games and still have $40 credit left, so I can't complain too much. But I did like those times it motivated me to try things out and play stuff that had been backlogged for a long time.

Coreda

If you want to upload several screen captures, you will be far more efficient with ShareX. If you want a specific workflow, adding a watermark, whatever, shareX does it. Uploading images on NeoGAF is less of a pain.

Main problem I find with ShareX is when uploading multiple files it doesn't provide a window with multi-line output links (and the custom formatting for links doesn't work for me either). Instead each upload link is a different popup window. For non-screenshot uploads Image Uploader is far better in that regard but ShareX works well for screenshots.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I posted some early impressions yesterday, but the gist:

Things I Like:
  • Individual challenges/achievements for each level keep my interest and prevent me from just using the "one size fits all" approach.
  • Being able to summon waves early in exchange for resources is an interesting risk/reward mechanic.
  • Being able to level up towers for permanent stat boosts adds a sense of progression.
Things I Don't Like:
  • Being able to level up towers makes it seem that some levels are designed with leveled-up towers in mind, necessitating grinding rather than pure strategy.
  • Silver, needed to level towers, buy stuff, and unlock perks, is relatively scarce and thus necessitates grinding.
  • On first run, being told to buy the game on the App Store.

Thanks, sorry I missed it earlier in the thread. I guess I should point out that the mobile version is based on the PC version and not the other way around. My thoughts on the game are about the same, but I find the game (even grinding) to be quite relaxing. I've put in about 35 hours.

The silver gets much much easier to obtain in the higher levels - so much so that I usually don't know what to do with it all and end up buying booster packs and immediately forging them into my "main" tower set. Pro-tip: play the "Hard" sub-levels, once they're unlocked. Even if you don't complete all 75 rounds, you can easily get 1k-2k silver, as well as a new card for every 25 rounds you complete.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
You're not alone. The same thing happened to me a few weeks back. I deserved it - was idling a couple games and juked the achievements because I didn't have time to play. Didn't bother to deal with their support staff, because they're notorious for being dickish towards anyone who emails them, even those who were paying customers in the first place.

I still have access to my account and the store, but I haven't bothered buying anything since then.

I consider myself a humble person and I would never cheat/steal stuff from a retailer. As I said I bought Warhammer II DoW on a SEGA sale they were having way before the rewards program was conceived and the key they provided me with ended up to be non working. I emailed them asking for a replacement key or a refund, and they told me that everything was fine on their end and that I should contact SEGA while very politely calling me a scammer. I never spent money on their store ever since. Figured that since they were such dicks about giving me a refund I should just cheat reward money when the playfire program started to cover up for what they stole from me

They've slashed rewards across the board, and even though they've increased how often the scan accounts now, I haven't had a single achievement actually grant a reward for almost a week now, even if it was scanned. I think we all knew the program was too good to be true and would never last, and I've gotten a bunch of games and still have $40 credit left, so I can't complain too much. But I did like those times it motivated me to try things out and play stuff that had been backlogged for a long time.

Yeah they really have cut back. Looking over the rewards I can achieve, I see a ton more $.1 (...Stealth Bastard) and $.45 and $.2 instead of $.50 and $.25.

Definitely cutting back.

Caerith

Thanks, sorry I missed it earlier in the thread. I guess I should point out that the mobile version is based on the PC version and not the other way around. My thoughts on the game are about the same, but I find the game (even grinding) to be quite relaxing. I've put in about 35 hours.

The silver gets much much easier to obtain in the higher levels - so much so that I usually don't know what to do with it all and end up buying booster packs and immediately forging them into my "main" tower set. Pro-tip: play the "Hard" sub-levels, once they're unlocked. Even if you don't complete all 75 rounds, you can easily get 1k-2k silver, as well as a new card for every 25 rounds you complete.

Well I did post my impressions at 4am, so understandable if you might not have seen them.

I figured silver would follow standard RPG mechanics (start off so broke you'd sell your own mother, end up so rich you run out of stuff to buy), but I just grinded for like an hour to buy the +10% silver perk (next is the -15% silver costs perk, after which it'll probably be too easy).

Overall it's pretty enjoyable and I'll be working toward 100%ing it.

tjohn86

I'm sorry but anyone acting salty towards Playfire / GMG support after being caught fraudulently using their store is hilarious to me. Of course they are rude, they don't want you business anymore.

liezryou

I think I'm IP banned. And to be honest even if they didn't ban me from GMG I wouldn't bother spending a single cent on their store after witnessing their horrendous costumer service

Did you ever spend real money on their store before getting banned? Or was it all from playfire credit? They tend to ban the freeloaders more then those who bought shit from them in the past.

Dirt cheap in Mother Russia. Fingers crossed for no region lock
Gunna be around 12 keys, and it's not region locked - Yet.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
14411296408_76f3c6531b_o.png

Just finished A Story About My Uncle, some impressions:

+ The concept behind it is great. I loved the mechanics. We need more first person platformers.
+ The art style is good, the world is beautiful.
- The game is.. really short, Steam says 3.5 hours. There's a time trial mode and collectibles if wanna spend more time with it.
- The story made zero sense, at least to me. Unless (HUGE SPOILER, DON'T OPEN)
the whole thing never actually happened.
- More animations e.g. falling animations, hitting a wall animations etc, and being able to see an actual body/legs when you look down could've made the game 10x more immersive for me.

But overall I really enjoyed it. Hoping for a more refined sequel.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
LOL she replied that to me, and I already won the game from you :D. The lord's work is already done! Can't wait til next week to finally play it, the music from the trailer sounds like Castlevania at times.

OT goes up at 12am EST ^_^

Hope the guys hurry up with the 7 minute video they said they are working on. XD

EDIT: As for the music they said they were actually inspired by Castlevania so that's in part why it has similarities.

Poetic

Borderlands just more of the same. I'll end up buying it anyway I'm sure but I'm not excited about it. I can see myself getting bored before completing.

14411296408_76f3c6531b_o.png

Just finished A Story About My Uncle, some impressions:

+ The concept behind it is great. I loved the mechanics. We need more first person platformers.
+ The art style is good, the world is beautiful.
- The game is.. really short, Steam says 3.5 hours. There's a time trial mode and collectibles if wanna spend more time with it.
- The story made zero sense, at least to me. Unless (HUGE SPOILER, DON'T OPEN)
the whole thing never actually happened.
- More animations e.g. falling animations, hitting a wall animations etc, and being able to see an actual body/legs when you look down could've made the game 10x more immersive for me.

But overall I really enjoyed it. Hoping for a more refined sequel.

I was surprised to see this on Steam the other day. I played it to completion about a year ago, and it was free. I believe it was a student project?

From what I can tell, it looks like they upgraded at least the graphics for a steam release.

I also personally really liked the first person platforming mechanics. I felt like the world was interesting as well. It was definitely worth playing through, but once again, I didn't spend any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom