• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Did you ever spend real money on their store before getting banned? Or was it all from playfire credit? They tend to ban the freeloaders more then those who bought shit from them in the past.

Yes, I was actually buying exclusively from them before their changed their pricing policy. Had spent over 200 euro on the GMG store before the whole DoW II mess happened

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:
This is a time when SteamGAF can get together to play CS:GO. We will be playing casual matches, players from all skill levels are welcome!

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1404775800z4.png

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Due to the limitations of the party system there are only 10 spots available in the party. After the party is full, we will be placed in a public server where anyone can join the game.

How to join us:
At the designated time I will make another post here announcing that we are starting. Add me as a friend on steam and through the main menu join the same game that I am in at that time.

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

Come join us and have fun!

Grief.exe

Yeah they really have cut back. Looking over the rewards I can achieve, I see a ton more $.1 (...Stealth Bastard) and $.45 and $.2 instead of $.50 and $.25.

Definitely cutting back.

These type of things are always best before the general public catches on.

See: Play fire, Trading Card Beta, video games in general.

Shadownet

Banned
pKSlqny.png

What is this?:
This is a time when SteamGAF can get together to play CS:GO. We will be playing casual matches, players from all skill levels are welcome!

t1404775800z4.png

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Due to the limitations of the party system there are only 10 spots available in the party. After the party is full, we will be placed in a public server where anyone can join the game.

How to join us:
At the designated time I will make another post here announcing that we are starting. Add me as a friend on steam and through the main menu join the same game that I am in at that time.

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

Sadly I'll be at work tonight. Thought I was going to work tomorrow. So I'll miss out :(

hopefully we're doing this again tomorrow.

pahamrick

Did you ever spend real money on their store before getting banned? Or was it all from playfire credit? They tend to ban the freeloaders more then those who bought shit from them in the past.

I spent about $180-$200 when I was working, vs $30-ish of stuff bought with playfire credit and they still banned my store account. I just think it's standard MO to ban everyone from the store too, now (which is fair).

BadRamen

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:

t1404775800z4.png

What we are playing:

How to join us:

In the future:

Haha, I want to get in on this but y'all literally have been doing them right when I must leave for work! Soon, I will join!

Soon!

And hell yeah! Fell asleep playing Ducktales!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Howler keys are up on Groupees (greenlight bundle 3), heres my spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Howler -- MB-2EDB1C0F174C4FD9 - Taken by NingenJanai. 5 entrants total.

t1404758065z1.png

Dr Dogg

x2k2FOG.png

Puzzle Agent 1+2

You play as FBI puzzle agent Nelson Tethers, who has been sent to a small snowy town called Scoggins to investigate a factory closure and a missing persons report.
The gameplay was clearly inspired by the Professor Layton games: While you progress through the story, you have to solve a myriad of different puzzles. The puzzles are all their own little mini-game, so there is no need to go pixel hunting in this point and click adventure.
Sadly, some of the puzzles are fairly simple and dull: rotate some tiles till they fit together, arrange shapes so they make sense, etc. The more logic-based puzzles can be quite fun and a couple really engage your brain, I wish they implemented more of those instead.
The game has a very distinct art and animation style that you may love or hate. Personally, I thought it was charming and fitted the typical Telltale humour very well. The voice acting is spot on and I really liked the sound effects as well.
Where the games really shine is in their atmosphere and story though. Scoggins is painted as a nice little town at first, but you soon realise the sinister truth behind its facade.

What's going on with those "hidden people" only crazy people seem to be able to see?
What's the brotherhood of Scoggins up to?
And how do astronauts fit into this story?

If you'd like to know the answers to any of these questions and aren't too put off by a bit of dull puzzling, I highly recommend playing the games :)

Both games are quite short, you can complete them in about 2 to 3 hours each.
mHr86Wk.png

I was a really big fan of the first Puzzle Agent, so much so even knowing the solutions I played it 3 times (twice on iOS and once on Steam). Did feel the ending was a little rushed and didn't have a patch on Layton for some of the polish shown in that series but was really charming, especially finding out why all the residents of Scoggins have literally gone mad. I kind of gave up on the second after about an hour. I'm not sure why but some of the puzzles just weren't clicking for me. Must get back round to it some day. I don't know what the likelihood of any more entries in this series but it has a fair few fans.

Infact, I did not think about it, but yes, there is "obfuscate". It is just that you have to be careful not to upload the image without scribbling over the bits.

zmKF3At.png

Nice. I'll have to try this out. Cheers.

bakeray

So not only are we hipsters, we're hipster hipsters.
People are just too big of chicken shits to stand up for the things that they like and enjoy and can only jump on bandwagons when things get popular. I remember importing Guitar Freaks and other Beatmania games on the original playstation and people calling me a nerd, then 4 years later DDR and Guitar Hero flare up and all those same people acting like it's the greatest thing ever.

As Grief said, pretty much everything I ever like gets turned to shit by the mainstream populace and I've come to accept that, I just hate being called a hipster when I liked it 4 years before they knew it existed because I actually enjoyed it and wasn't just trying to be a contrarian so I could get likes on instagram

People are just too big of chicken shits to stand up for the things that they like and enjoy and can only jump on bandwagons when things get popular. I remember importing Guitar Freaks and other Beatmania games on the original playstation and people calling me a nerd, then 4 years later DDR and Guitar Hero flare up and all those same people acting like it's the greatest thing ever.

As Grief said, pretty much everything I ever like gets turned to shit by the mainstream populace and I've come to accept that, I just hate being called a hipster when I liked it 4 years before they knew it existed because I actually enjoyed it and wasn't just trying to be a contrarian so I could get likes on instagram
Fair point. I've kinda come to terms with that too. Although with things like kickstarter, the stuff that got worn out from being mainstream always has a chance to come home.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
some more spares

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-EEC120904FA8D4F5 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 4 entrants total.
Bardbarian -- MB-6C61A86413A03D55 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 8 entrants total.
Blade Symphony -- MB-067EE043CFADF640 - Taken by spindoctor. 7 entrants total.

t1404758665z1.png

TsuXna

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:

t1404775800z4.png

What we are playing:

How to join us:

In the future:

i have uninstalled CS:GO, meh >.<

Yakkue

I was a really big fan of the first Puzzle Agent, so much so even knowing the solutions I played it 3 times (twice on iOS and once on Steam). Did feel the ending was a little rushed and didn't have a patch on Layton for some of the polish shown in that series but was really charming, especially finding out why all the residents of Scoggins have literally gone mad. I kind of gave up on the second after about an hour. I'm not sure why but some of the puzzles just weren't clicking for me. Must get back round to it some day. I don't know what the likelihood of any more entries in this series but it has a fair few fans.

You really should try it again, it's not that long and there are some really nice twists and explanations ahead :)

Salsa

It'll be ROW until it's not, just like witcher, mordor, sacred 3, etc. Any preorders which are ROW are in certain danger of getting locked.

not really tho cause the witcher 3 doesnt have a specific Russian sub with restrictions

this game does, altho so far you get a different one, but the fact that it's there puts it in a bit more iffy situation than something like the witcher 3 IMO

but what do I know

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:

t1404775800z4.png

What we are playing:

How to join us:

In the future:

Sent a friend invite. Not sure if I'll be on at that time, but I wouldn't mind some games. I'm terrible, btw.

MRORANGE

Everybody knows that if were going to have a SteamGAF mutliplayer game that it should be Garry's Mod by default.

CS:GO is a good 2nd choice.

louiedog

I finished up Murdered: Soul Suspect this morning. A friend recently picked up a new AMD GPU and chose it as a reward so I played it via sharing.

It had good ideas, okay execution, and was a fairly contained experience. It took about 7 hours to finish and I wouldn't have wanted it to be longer. If you want to collect everything add on another hour or two I'd guess.

There some very light combat that's more of an annoyance than anything. It's a big budget adventure game and it feels like someone on the money end realized that and forced in some combat because no one dares make adventure games on this scale. There isn't very much of it. The game sort of feels like LA Noire without the gunfights, driving, interrogation, or scale.

I recommend it when it gets cheaper if the idea of an open(ish) world adventure game appeals to you. It feels like it should retail for $30 to $40, not $50.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's the worst when I have a ton of games I want to play but popular discussion makes me want to add a game to the ton. Shovel Knight looks so good. But damn it, I have a bunch of Summer Sale games to get through.

Caerith

Liking things before other people do does not a hipster make, otherwise I'd have to wear douchey clothes and whine about how much better LLTQ was before anyone else played it.

Hipsters are defined by their (insufferable, twattish) attitude and being utterly full of shit.

Fox318

It's the worst when I have a ton of games I want to play but popular discussion makes me want to add a game to the ton. Shovel Knight looks so good. But damn it, I have a bunch of Summer Sale games to get through.

Meh just wait for it to be on sale.

Conversation will revive when there is a deal.

Eanan

Sorry to bring up the metro skin spacing thing again in grid view, but im having a slight issue;

I've changed the "interiorspacing" value to both 00 and -1, and it works if I move the grid slider slightly, but any time I close steam and reopen it, it resets and I have the big gaps between the grid icons. Any ideas?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Meh just wait for it to be on sale.

Conversation will revive when there is a deal.

My approach is only buying during the Summer/Winter sale. It's a great method but difficult to adhere to.

Dr Dogg

You really should try it again, it's not that long and there are some really nice twists and explanations ahead :)

Yeah definitely plan to at some point, even as just a change of pace to other game I've been engrossed in recently. That and I think I need to make my 0.1 hours played on Steam a little more substantial, plus the lure of achievement in 2. Which is a bit odd the first never got any as they're on the iOS version, I think (unless I'm going crazy?).

Everybody knows that if were going to have a SteamGAF mutliplayer game that it should be Garry's Mod by default.

CS:GO is a good 2nd choice.

I thought you were talking about sorting out a SteamGAF L4D server at some point. Granted that would probably go horribly wrong after a day.

I'm in the same boat about Shovel Knight. But I figure I have a ton of games to play right now and by the time I get around to it the game might be on sale. No reason to buy it before you are ready to play it if the game is full price.

Sorry to bring up the metro skin spacing thing again in grid view, but im having a slight issue;

I've changed the "interiorspacing" value to both 00 and -1, and it works if I move the grid slider slightly, but any time I close steam and reopen it, it resets and I have the big gaps between the grid icons. Any ideas?
That's just how it works. So long as it adjusts properly when you move the slider then you're golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom