• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

People are just too big of chicken shits to stand up for the things that they like and enjoy and can only jump on bandwagons when things get popular. I remember importing Guitar Freaks and other Beatmania games on the original playstation and people calling me a nerd, then 4 years later DDR and Guitar Hero flare up and all those same people acting like it's the greatest thing ever.

As Grief said, pretty much everything I ever like gets turned to shit by the mainstream populace and I've come to accept that, I just hate being called a hipster when I liked it 4 years before they knew it existed because I actually enjoyed it and wasn't just trying to be a contrarian so I could get likes on instagram

You have to understand that this applies to every form media and entertainment.

Just remember that it's not, "You against the (casual) world."

Virtually every person on the planet is "you", each one enjoying the hobbies and interests that they follow more closely than the casual audiences. And as follows all the causal audiences that are "ruining" your treasures are most likely that way because their own attentions are diverted elsewhere, following their own passions completely under your radar.

So if you think about it, we're all hipsters of a sort. Everyone has something, anything, that they know more about than the average person. We're all hipsters and we're all douche-bag casuals who ruins someone else's fun. We can't be everywhere at once, so we pick our passions.

No one is better than the other. Common, shared interests are immune to measurable value. And it's a complete waste of time to resent those with shared casual interests who are ruining your fun because they're not "in deep enough".

You've likely casually consumed a dozen products over the past year that have had the exact same negative side-effect on some other hipster's happiness.

Grief.exe

Sorry to bring up the metro skin spacing thing again in grid view, but im having a slight issue;

I've changed the "interiorspacing" value to both 00 and -1, and it works if I move the grid slider slightly, but any time I close steam and reopen it, it resets and I have the big gaps between the grid icons. Any ideas?

That always happens. I have to adjust the slider every time I open steam.

bakeray

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

The idea was to get a dedicated gaming server up and running and we could put whatever games on it, not sure if people were willing to fund it - plus timezones.
How much would it cost per month to rent? I would think it would certainly be possible to fund if we all chipped in a little bit, maybe just do an fundraising goal to fund it for a year and we can also vote on games.

Played an hour more of Transistor and it's starting to make sense to me, both the battle system/mechanics and the story I think.

My Fallout 2 save is screwed, dunno if I should just skip on the few (10...) quests and complete the game otherwise or to register to No Mutants Allowed and ask if someone could unfucker my save file (I can't enter a vault)

bakeray

Virtually every person on the planet is "you", each one enjoying the hobbies and interests that they follow more closely than the casual audiences. And as follows all the causal audiences that are "ruining" your treasures are most likely that way because their own attentions are diverted elsewhere, following their own passions completely under your radar.

So if you think about it, we're all hipsters of a sort. Everyone has something, anything, that they know more about than the average person. We're all hipsters and we're all douche-bag casuals who ruins someone else's fun. We can't be everywhere at once, so we pick our passions.

No one is better than the other. Common, shared interests are immune to measurable value. And it's a complete waste of time to resent those with shared casual interests who are ruining your fun because they're not "in deep enough".

You've likely casually consumed a dozen products over the past year that have had the exact same negative side-effect on some other hipster's happiness.
Oh I know all this that's exactly why I've learned to get over worrying about it, I just hate the word hipster in general and being called one for expressing my own opinions on what I like and don't like, my friends know this and love calling me one anyway.

dex3108

Something weird just happened, i bought TF2 key from market, steam showed me an error message but they took my money from wallet. Then i looked in market history and there is no transaction registered. Key is not in my library and my money is missing. Also they took money for another key, there is evidence in market history but there is no key in my inventory. WTF Valve?

tioslash

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:
This is a time when SteamGAF can get together to play CS:GO. We will be playing casual matches, players from all skill levels are welcome!

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1404775800z4.png

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Due to the limitations of the party system there are only 10 spots available in the party. After the party is full, we will be placed in a public server where anyone can join the game.

How to join us:
At the designated time I will make another post here announcing that we are starting. Add me as a friend on steam and through the main menu join the same game that I am in at that time.

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

Come join us and have fun!

Only players with low ping allowed?

Evrain

Ah, nice. Already have Blade Symphony (...and never tried it), but I'll get this for Into the Dark and Coldfire Keep.
How is Blade Symphony? I remember having lots of fun in the old Jedi Outcast days, but am a bit wary of multiplyer-only indies after the Ravaged/AirBuccaneers/GoI "fiascos"...

I consider myself a humble person and I would never cheat/steal stuff from a retailer. As I said I bought Warhammer II DoW on a SEGA sale they were having way before the rewards program was conceived and the key they provided me with ended up to be non working. I emailed them asking for a replacement key or a refund, and they told me that everything was fine on their end and that I should contact SEGA while very politely calling me a scammer. I never spent money on their store ever since. Figured that since they were such dicks about giving me a refund I should just cheat reward money when the playfire program started to cover up for what they stole from me

Yeah, I've seen anecdotal evidence of this from a lot of people. In the end, it's not really worth it, and their customer service department does them no favors.

I mean, I get that the system affects their bottom line, but if they want to fix it, they should scrap it entirely instead of this back-and-forth battle with the users. Now it's not only the quality of the vouchers/sales that's gone down (25% off everything coupons to 15-20% off $10+ orders, regional pricing) but the amount of achievements has been nerfed as well.

MRORANGE

How much would it cost per month to rent? I would think it would certainly be possible to fund if we all chipped in a little bit, maybe just do an fundraising goal to fund it for a year and we can also vote on games.

around £1000 a year? I really can't remember, depends on where you get it from as well, dedi's are a lot more expensive, you can just go for private slot games which work out cheaper but it's for only 1 game.

Jawmuncher

How is Blade Symphony? I remember having lots of fun in the old Jedi Outcast days, but am a bit wary of multiplyer-only indies after the Ravaged/AirBuccaneers/GoI "fiascos"...

Have played a bit and it can be pretty fun.
There is a tutorial, bot mode and such if you don't want to go online.
Though a lot of the fun comes from learning the system of fighting which is more complicated than Jedi outcast. Honestly at the 1.50 it's worth it just to try it out since there's no sword based game like it.

Dr Dogg

The idea was to get a dedicated gaming server up and running and we could put whatever games on it, not sure if people were willing to fund it - plus timezones.

Yeah I can remember having a look at prices but at the time we were all spread out across the globe a bit, even more so now. So not only timezones but latency issues as well. I mean there's North American SteamGAF, South American SteamGAF, the glorious European SteamGAF as well as Asian, African and Oceania SteamGAF (sorry if I missed out anyone).

A 8-32 slot server, with multi-swap titles and even a mumble server isn't that much between the amount of peeps that come in here these days it's just the crazy logistics behind it all.

Grief.exe

Fair point. I've kinda come to terms with that too. Although with things like kickstarter, the stuff that got worn out from being mainstream always has a chance to come home.

I find the resurgence of PC gaming and Kickstarter has made this the best time to enjoy the hobby.

The AAA industry is mostly diving into the dumpster, but we still have many standout titles at the top of the heap.
Then we have the mid-tier development, indie, and crowd funding scene on PC producing some amazing titles such as Divinity:OS, Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac, and I could go on and on.

Something weird just happened, i bought TF2 key from market, steam showed me an error message but they took my money from wallet. Then i looked in market history and there is no transaction registered. Key is not in my library and my money is missing. Also they took money for another key, there is evidence in market history but there is no key in my inventory. WTF Valve?

I want to trade with someone who wants 3 keys for a copy of Wolf Among Us, but I was trying to find where to get keys cheaper for paypal. Was just considering biting the bullet and paying full steam market price, but from hearing stuff like that, it sounds like that may be both more expensive AND riskier.

bakeray

around £1000 a year? I really can't remember, depends on where you get it from as well, dedi's are a lot more expensive, you can just go for private slot games which work out cheaper but it's for only 1 game.
Oh wow I had no idea it was that expensive, I thought it was only like 30-40 bucks a month. I thought that was all it cost to rent one for BF but I must have read it wrong or be thinking of something different.

dex3108

I want to trade with someone who wants 3 keys for a copy of Wolf Among Us, but I was trying to find where to get keys cheaper for paypal. Was just considering biting the bullet and paying full steam market price, but from hearing stuff like that, it sounds like that may be both more expensive AND riskier.

This is not customer fault, i can only blame Valve for that is their system that should work.

ArjanN

IMO people dislike the hipster "I did X before everyone else did it!" because they tend to be all smug and self-important about it, as if that somehow makes them special. If anything they should be glad more people are discovering whatever 'X' is, but often there's an amount of counter-culture to it.

MRORANGE

Yeah I can remember having a look at prices but at the time we were all spread out across the globe a bit, even more so now. So not only timezones but latency issues as well. I mean there's North American SteamGAF, South American SteamGAF, the glorious European SteamGAF as well as Asian, African and Oceania SteamGAF (sorry if I missed out anyone).

A 8-32 slot server, with multi-swap titles and even a mumble server isn't that much between the amount of peeps that come in here these days it's just the crazy logistics behind it all.

You do have some virtualized servers which allow displacement to move other locations Europe/US and other regions but this seems really impractical and I'm not sure how well it would run,

jesus surgeon simulator 2013 is hard as shit. Anyone got any pointers? I have up after like 40 minutes and not even getting the old heart out the body.

Kiru

jesus surgeon simulator 2013 is hard as shit. Anyone got any pointers? I have up after like 40 minutes and not even getting the old heart out the body.

Haha I think you can see where you need to cut when you insert one of the floppy disks into that computer, but yeah the controls are really hard to master anyway.

IMO people dislike the hipster "I did X before everyone else did it!" because they tend to be all smug and self-important about it, as if that somehow makes them special. If anything they should be glad more people are discovering whatever 'X' is, but often there's an amount of counter-culture to it.
I always find it especially amusing when said individuals get so caught up in the fake sense of worth over being part of something early yet having never really scratched the surface of it in any meaningful way.

Hugstable

Banned
I find the resurgence of PC gaming and Kickstarter has made this the best time to enjoy the hobby.

The AAA industry is mostly diving into the dumpster, but we still have many standout titles at the top of the heap.
Then we have the mid-tier development, indie, and crowd funding scene on PC producing some amazing titles such as Divinity:OS, Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac, and I could go on and on.

The joys of PC and Steam gaming! Where else can you play all these great titles together while looking and running their best? Games like Ikaruga, Divinty OS, Astebreed, Dark Souls 2, Shovel Knight, 100% Orange Juice Payday 2 and CS:HO are all games I've put time into and they represent all differnt types of development from triple A to Indie, and they are all on Steam. I firmly believe that while Triple AAA games can be fun, I really want to see much more mid tier games come out of the usual companies like we had recently with Ubisoft and Valiant Hearts/ Child of Light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom