• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
I've put a couple hours into The Banner Saga today. My early impressions are that the artstyle looks great in motion but the shot reverse shot of the interlude dialogues somehow come across as cheap and make me nauseous for some reason. The armor/strength mechanic seems super interesting and the lore and prose have appropriate flavor to them. There also seems to be a great deal of consequence for actions where the best option isn't clear. That's pretty interesting, but I hope it's not just baked-in or manufactured, but that's going to be hard to tell early on without messing with reloading saves.

Wow...

I feel like today is the worst birthday I had. I thought it can be quite nice to have a birthday in another country, but somehow everything is going down the gutter. Had a normal morning.
Then I got messages from my family wishing me a happy birthday and from my gf and her family.
Going to work then felt nice actually.

Now sitting here, was called by my boss that I work too fast (wat?), my gf telling me she has to work in the evening, so I will be alone at home, hearing that a close friend of our family just has a few days left to live (I know it already since 2 weeks, that she only has 2 weeks to live, but as its nearing it kinda feels shitty, though she wasnt that close, but stilll...), no presents, no friends to party with, no cake, no anything...

I really think this is one of the most shitty birthdays I ever had. I wish I could somehow enjoy it but since hearing some news a few minutes ago, I feel really down right now...
When I come home no one will be there, just me.

It has a zombie girl in it

also this:

shantae.gif

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about... didn't know if it qualified since it wasn't anime and it wasn't a VN. ;)

--

Modbot says these weren't taken, so I re-registered them and here they are. Please take them and give them homes!!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 36 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (corrosivefrost, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

X-COM: Apocalypse -- MB-8EB67CEA08058F88 - Taken by Aaron
Final Slam 2 -- MB-A3A78E5A20DB2682 - Taken by Sarobi
Runespell: Overture -- MB-F92F1836D2EEF625 - Taken by crazyrabbits
ulgzbKC.png
Data Hacker - Initiation (Desura) -- MB-9218ABC7E78051E8 - Taken by Jason Frost
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-D6BDE80A7AE1A06A - Taken by bloke
Race Injection -- MB-BA261E3C7C0DE77C
X-COM: Interceptor -- MB-BCEF39D3B6EE0273 - Taken by maneil99
Offspring Fling -- MB-BC3E8B602E0BE5AC
Hoard Complete Pack -- MB-FF3F457E99156271
Ride em Low -- MB-40857D60B712F87C
El Matador -- MB-46C93D88E44C5402 - Taken by FauX
Gravity Badgers -- MB-7BFDF8E0EEB40AED
The Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-ABECB8177A4122E6 - Taken by dinopoke
Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-81F9C6A391CE8691 - Taken by danhese007
ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) One Day for Ched -- MB-08F41B3C02A50C3C - Taken by WinterDemons
EfagyaM.png
The Maw (xbox 360) #2 -- MB-2C8F08E6383AF6D1
ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) Towers of Altrac - Epic Defense Battles -- MB-9FC1255D096FA56F - Taken by WinterDemons
ulgzbKC.png
Luna's Wandering Stars (Desura) -- MB-7DB78BF1A86AED97 - Taken by WinterDemons
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-DD8F801824571F60 - Taken by Sharkiller
X-COM: Enforcer -- MB-980BC84D2FB747D1 - Taken by saunderez
Ethan : Meteor Hunter -- MB-4932E4DDC1DCAD3D - Taken by BadRamen
ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid~ -- MB-FBFC8419CE149359
VVVVVV -- MB-A1E12AF788867B87 - Taken by taco543
ulgzbKC.png
ONE DAY for Ched (Desura) -- MB-3520FB8830C1587E - Taken by Jason Frost
And Yet It Moves -- MB-B00E9BB283F88B9C - Taken by darkchewie
Aerena -- MB-B75305EF928701C5
Planets Under Attack -- MB-46E5B6CB2BE3612B
Skyward Collapse -- MB-417F588CF66803C4 - Taken by Jrdan

Naval Warfare -- MB-8A99B36B715E6BFA
ulgzbKC.png
Yrminsul (Desura) -- MB-B7932AB706E04D50 - Taken by Eila
ulgzbKC.png
Astro Emporia (Desura) -- MB-6E7AF6181AB1F5F4 - Taken by Jason Frost
Critical Mass -- MB-087D162A15321F18
SOL: Exodus -- MB-979D64E0E17FAF0E - Taken by Servizio
Bridge Project -- MB-DB8652CD0EF5A57C - Taken by drakaenae

Edit: Sometimes Modbot does drugs. In these cases, he forgets to update lists properly. However, because Stimpy the Cow is most excellent, I know that any game that had a key values of "store.steampowered.com" is actually gone because I have nothing currently in my inventory for a giveaway. As such, games like "Banished" (if you were fast enough to see that one) and "Mystery Gift #1" have been removed. As a disclaimer, I have no clue if these links/keys are valid are not, just that Modbot tells me that they have no home.

Ventara

Wow...

I feel like today is the worst birthday I had. I thought it can be quite nice to have a birthday in another country, but somehow everything is going down the gutter. Had a normal morning.
Then I got messages from my family wishing me a happy birthday and from my gf and her family.

Now sitting here, was called by my boss that I work too fast (wat?), my gf telling me she has to work in the evening, so I will be alone at home, hearing that a close friend of our family just has a few days left to live (I know it already since 2 weeks, that she only has 2 weeks to live, but as its nearing it kinda feels shitty, though she wasnt that close, but stilll...), no presents, no friends to party with, no cake, no anything...

I really think this is one of the most shitty birthdays I ever had. I wish I could somehow enjoy it but since hearing some news a few minutes ago, I feel really down right now...

They're all planning to throw a surprise party for you!

Seriously though, sorry to hear that. Just try not to think of it as a particularly special day or anything, since that'll just raise your expectations. Just do stuff that you enjoy and order food that you like and everything will be a-okay! If it's any consolation, I've had way worse.

It might not be able to bring a smile to your face, but happy birthday! You've done a good job surviving another year.

Mono

Wow...

:( Happy birthday!

wilflare

tad Mystery Game #1 -- MB-AB80362C2D00D53A

---
always curious about what people put in the PM title when they PM modbot

Stump, can you share some of the more interesting ones?
lol I remember putting PLSSSSS for some of mine

dot

Wow...

Oh no...that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear that.

Happy birthday though! Be happy, not sad.

Jawmuncher

Is there anything preventing Fuse from being on steam? Was playing some today and it's another game that I think would do well there. 4 player coop games always seem to work better on PC.

Also I know there's the Fuse character creator.

Thanks for the birthday-wishes.

It is just. I compare it to the birthdays I had in germany before and I always get presents, in the evening have BBQ, friends and family come, eat cake in the afternoon. Have fun with everyone. Share the birthday with family and friends.

I really wanted to spend the evening with my gf. Maybe watch a movie, buy some cake somewhere. Just something simple, so when she called me to say she has to work in the evening, it felt shitty. Then I got the message about the friend of the family...

It just feels so surreal.

Mono

I found this in my extra Steam key doc and I'm 90% sure it's unredeemed. I'm so sorry if it doesn't work!!

Though with a game like Final Slam 2...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mono, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Final Slam 2 -- MB-5BC6E44B23CC8C25 - Taken by jmizzal

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow...

Sad to hear this, man :/ I'd say "happy birthday", but I'm afraid you may think I am kidding you (which I'm honestly not). Hope you can have a better day tomorrow. It's terrible what's going on with your family friend, but sometimes that shit is inevitable. About your boss, I don't have any idea why he'd say something like that, maybe he was having a rough day too or something. And try to think about all the things you'll be able to do with your gf once you're both free later this week, or during the weekend.

Anyway, if you feel like venting or talking to someone or anything, feel free to PM me or talk to me via Steam. I'm always willing to listen to a fellow SteamGAFfer and help them if I can.

Shadownet

Banned
What other card games have you played before? Before my highschool friend introduced me to Magic, I only knew about Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, so my mind was completely blown at how awesome Magic was. Not sure when 2015 will go on sale, but don't rule out the older ones if they're on sale first. If you don't have them, that is.

I played everything from Pokemon to Yu-gi-oh to even other lesser known stuff. :) I have 2014. But I think I'm going to wait and get 2015 so I can play with you guys :)

Mono

Thanks for the birthday-wishes.

It is just. I compare it to the birthdays I had in germany before and I always get presents, in the evening have BBQ, friends and family come, eat cake in the afternoon. Have fun with everyone. Share the birthday with family and friends.

I really wanted to spend the evening with my gf. Maybe watch a movie, buy some cake somewhere. Just something simple, so when she called me to say she has to work in the evening, it felt shitty. Then I got the message about the friend of the family...

It just feels so surreal.

I've spent birthdays by myself and away from my home country as well; it gets really lonely. :( Hang in there! Maybe you can have a back-up celebration with your gf and friends later this week!

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Yeah that's what i meant. thanks :) gonna wait for a sale and pick it up then. love cards collecting games.

There's always Yu-Gi-Oh. It's pretty simple to learn, and there's a lot of fun stuff you can do it it. The Magic games have a really limited amount of cards, compared to the sheer number of Yu-Gi-Oh cards that you can use in the free fan-made programs. Currently, there's Dueling Network, which is what most people play on, but you have to do things manually instead of the game taking care of health and stuff for you, and there's also YGOPRO, which is automated, but I don't know how well it does it, since I haven't really used it. In both games, you can use any of the thousands of cards in your decks. There's no actual collecting, though, if that's what you're looking for.

dot

I found this in my extra Steam key doc and I'm 90% sure it's unredeemed. I'm so sorry if it doesn't work!!

Though with a game like Final Slam 2...

Good luck getting rid of this, lol. :p

No one took it in my giveaway so i used it for myself and it is listed as unclaimed in my loot...forever.

edit: WHAT THE HELL

Ventara

I played everything from Pokemon to Yu-gi-oh to even other lesser known stuff. :) I have 2014. But I think I'm going to wait and get 2015 so I can play with you guys :)

Dude, play 2014. It'll at least teach you the ins and outs of Magic if you haven't played it before.

Congrats to your birthday... wait, that sounds unfitting.
Cheer up! That's to unpersonal.
You know, life can be brutal no matter what constellation currently reoccurs. You do have family and girlfriend caring and thinking about you. It may not alleviate you're pain but it's those things you should focus on.
And look, here are people not only feeling with you but trying to cheer you up thousand of kilometers away. People care about you, even if you don't have an awesome anime avatar.
So yeah, life can be shit but there's always some salvageable stuff in shit.
Ok, not a good metaphor. It's 6am and I need to sleep.

dot

There's always Yu-Gi-Oh. It's pretty simple to learn, and there's a lot of fun stuff you can do it it. The Magic games have a really limited amount of cards, compared to the sheer number of Yu-Gi-Oh cards that you can use in the free fan-made programs. Currently, there's Dueling Network, which is what most people play on, but you have to do things manually instead of the game taking care of health and stuff for you, and there's also YGOPRO, which is automated, but I don't know how well it does it, since I haven't really used it. In both games, you can use any of the thousands of cards in your decks. There's no actual collecting, though, if that's what you're looking for.

Yeah...i didn't like Dueling Network since it was manual only. I haven't tried YGOPRO yet though.

I'd be all up on a YGO game on steam though. I'd like, play it every day. konamiiiiiii

ROFL

Thanks for the reverse psychology, dot-sama!!! \o/

;-;

Thanks. Really try to cope with it, but I really dont have a clue what to do when I come home and no one will be there, not knowing what to do.

Maybe play something, but not sure if I will be in the mood for that.

Toki767

I loved playing Yu-Gi-Oh!. Unfortunately the games Konami made lately kind of suck. They move far too slow to the point I get impatient.

iosefe

who wants to play against a semi troll deck?

they need to bring those pc games to steam, sure they're mediocre, but they got th ejob done

Ventara

Thanks. Really try to cope with it, but I really dont have a clue what to do when I come home and no one will be there, not knowing what to do.

Maybe play something, but not sure if I will be in the mood for that.

If it'd make you feel better, you must have had an awesome life so far if you're having trouble coping with a lonely birthday.

And the stuff you do doesn't have to be anything special when you get home. You can even do chores. Keep your mind off it.

If it'd make you feel better, you must have had an awesome life so far if you're having trouble coping with a lonely birthday.

I had. Just first time having a birthday in another country, without any of my friends or family here.
It would be totally okay though, but hearing these news just destroyed my whole mood...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I played about 90 minutes of Magic 2015, here are my impressions:

• The tutorial levels were annoying and unskippable. Some people said they got a "skip tutorial" button, but even though I selected that I've played a lot of Magic before, they still insisted on making go through the step-by-step tutorial, which took about 35 minutes.
  • Being able to customize your own deck is cool, but in my opinion it takes away a lot of what used to make these Magic games great, especially in the single player campaign. I'm sure it'll be fine once I get a lot more of the cards unlocked, because I'll be able to make my own decks to counter the enemy's tactics. As it stands, the "starter" decks are too weak to accomplish much against the campaign enemy's pre-constructed decks. This leads to a really frustrating experience, at least early in the game.
  • The game has no sense of progression unless you win. I don't want to sound like the typical "spoiled gamer", but losing a duel is incredibly frustrating and made me feel like I wasted a lot of time. This is especially true early in the game where you can't change your tactics (see above). I played for about 45 minutes after the tutorial level and was only able to beat two of the first level's four challenges.
  • I don't want to rehash the argument that presented earlier today, but I'm still pretty pissed off that 36 of the cards in the game are stuck behind a paywall.
I can see why fans of these games are upset. This is a huge departure from their previous games (which, in all honesty were much more fun) and this game comes off as a total "cash grab". It feels like they intentionally make your deck weak to entice you into purchasing booster packs for real money. I played for an hour and a half and I still didn't unlock the full "deck management system", which is also frustrating.

Overall I'm very disappointed. The next time I think about playing some Magic on the PC, I'll probably be booting up 2014.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
My first year of military service I had my birthday it was right as I started a tour of duty onboard a ship where I knew no one, no one knew me, and we were too busy getting ready to leave port.

Alas these things happen in life and we can only make the best of what we have. In your situation Chairmanchuck, I recommend taking the time to go out and celebrate your birthday on your own by going to a pub or out dancing at a club or take in a musical event somewhere. Treat it not as a day away from others, but a chance to do something you normally wouldn't do since by law (law may not actually exist), one is allowed to do something or act silly on their birthday.
------------------------------------------------------------------

So add me to those who will be recommending Abyss Odyssey. Aye it has some faults and it is yet another game people are calling a Metroidvania when it's actually not (like Spelunky, basic path to go and you can explore just a wee bit to get more treasure), but it's good fun as you learn how the combat is set up and gain new abilities or enemies to transform into.

Just know exactly what you are getting in for with this type of game, watch gameplay and understand a lot of the replay value will be coming from unlocking everything and whatever satisfaction you can get from it's Smash Bros like combat.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Yeah...i didn't like Dueling Network since it was manual only. I haven't tried YGOPRO yet though.

I'd be all up on a YGO game on steam though. I'd like, play it every day. konamiiiiiii

;-;

Yeah, that really needs to happen. They used to have a World Championship series on the DS that was great. You had to unlock the cards, though, but I just used an Action Replay to unlock all of them. They should really make something like that and put it on Steam. An automated online Yu-Gi-Oh game with updates that add new cards in would be so good, but the great thing about DN and YGOPRO is that they're completely free and you don't have to unlock all the cards. An official Yu-Gi-Oh game would probably be pretty expensive if you want to be able to use all the cards.

on PS4? with Senpai? <3 always.

I think we're already friends on there right?

Destiny Beta starts at 10am. I have a meeting with the admins at 9am before that. When will you be on?

However fast I can dl it. Probably an hour so after it starts. I don't think I've added you yet because I don't like giving out my PSN since it uses my old internet handle I used when I was a teenager. :|

Shadownet

Banned
However fast I can dl it. Probably an hour so after it starts. I don't think I've added you yet because I don't like giving out my PSN since it uses my old internet handle I used when I was a teenager. :|

I got a way for you to download the beta right now if you wanna know ;) PM me on here and i'll tell you. I already got my beta ready.

If you want PM me your PSN name too. :)your secret is safe with me.

-----------------

i guess that's more improtant

SteamGAF is my home. It will always be more important.

Scythian

So my Abyss Odyssey odyssey :)P) continues... finally beat the Warlock with Katrien lvl.24 .__. The "ending" was kinda
dull, since it is just an image of her like, "everything's right with the world! ... or is it??", but it's good enough I guess
Now I'll probably try the Ghost Monk, but I don't want to make too much progress before the patches start to arrive, which hopefully will change some things up.
Right now, I feel like I've gotten my $9 out of it, I love the design of the characters so much it's worth it.

Anyone know if there's high-quality artwork laying around? Like the main characters, monsters, etc.? I'd love to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom