• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Divinity OS? Seems like a lot of people play this? Maybe I just buy it this evening and play some to change my mood.
How many keys is this right now through traders?

dot

Yayy got a Operation Breakout and Phoenix case in two consecutive matches. Thanks Gaben!

Yeah, that really needs to happen. They used to have a World Championship series on the DS that was great. You had to unlock the cards, though, but I just used an Action Replay to unlock all of them. They should really make something like that and put it on Steam. An automated online Yu-Gi-Oh game with updates that add new cards in would be so good, but the great thing about DN and YGOPRO is that they're completely free and you don't have to unlock all the cards. An official Yu-Gi-Oh game would probably be pretty expensive if you want to be able to use all the cards.

Ah, i remember playing the YGO games on GBA/DS. I remember those were really good! Also, they could always port Millennium Duels which came out digitally on consoles a few months back. So much wasted potential not having the games on steam...sigh.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Paranautical Activity -- MB-CCF71FBEA842418C - Taken by Tesseract. 2 entrants total.

t1405572965z1.png

Ventara

Who will be Saoirse Santa if you destroy me?

Don't you just get reborn from the ashes?

Right now in China.

I somehow wish my gf will surprise me with even some little present or something to lighten my mood when she comes home this night.

How is Divinity OS? Seems like a lot of people play this? Maybe I just buy it this evening and play some to change my mood.

That's nice. How's the food there compared to back home? And I know I must sound like a broken record, but by expecting something you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Just treat it as a normal day and do stuff that you enjoy. Gorge yourself on foods you enjoy.

Divinity: OS is 9 keys. I know a guy who sells it for 8 keys 6 ref (1 key = 9 ref). Let me know if you want me to hook you up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah it sucks, you can change your screen name in Japan on PSN but not anywhere else, super lame.

I figured that'd eventually become a general feature but it's been, what, about five years now? Region-specific game availability is perfectly understandable, but region-specific functionality is just strange.

Obviously Destiny is off topic, but what's the point of clans when strike missions are only 3 people?

Three people are still more then one, I suppose. ;)

Don't you just get reborn from the ashes?

That's nice. How's the food there compared to back home? And I know I must sound like a broken record, but by expecting something you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Just treat it as a normal day and do stuff that you enjoy. Gorge yourself on foods you enjoy.

Divinity: OS is 9 keys. I know a guy who sells it for 8 keys 6 ref (1 key = 9 ref). Let me know if you want me to hook you up.

Thats nice, but it still takes some time till I get home. I will write you a PM if I need it.

The food is nice, but sometimes I just miss a good cake. In germany I bake them myself, but its hard to get the ingredients for those cheap and easy and often they still taste different. Instead of normal butter, most butter you can here (for exordinary prices) are salted...
Finding things like "vanilla-sugar" thats you can get everywhere in germany is a pain and can only obtained on internet. Same with cream-cheese and things like that. Baking myself is hard and the chinese cakes taste like pure sugar and chemicals.

Besides that chinese food is great, but right now I really would just love something I know from home.

Seems to last around 60 hours.

Thats a lot. Thanks.

Levyne

Banned

I kind of rambled on it here. The shorter version is that it definitely starts out much stronger than it ends. The first town and first selection of quests have the greatest depth and breadth, and the encounters require the most thought and planning (partially due to the player still learning the game's systems and the specific roles of their characters). It's definitely a really meaty game with people finishing their playthroughs at 60-75 hours. The art is great, the world is whimisical and memorable, the music is complimentary. There are some really obtuse puzzles that sometimes boil down to pixel hunts, and some of the mechanics, such as the Rock-Papers-Scissors Charisma checks just didn't sit well with me. The UI is functional and improving with patches (including an updated sort capability and streamlined identification) and the turn based combat is snappy.

I don't like how there are swathes of the game where you just end up in encounter after encounter and this is generally past the point where you know a surefire way to victory without much struggle (maybe hard mode would have helped here? That's on me) so encounters by the end were a little bit like chores. The game is definitely at it's best when it mixes in battle-laden excursions with quest-focused journal referencing and progression within the game's world, which is more in the front half of the game rather than the back.

There are some personal taste discussions about the randomization of loot and vendor goods, my take was that it was enjoyable to not know exactly which spells and weapons were going to become available to me and which I would have to subsidize through learning some crafting.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I really am glad Amazon price matches often when it comes to Steam deals.

ModBot said:
Instructions for KenOD:
Remind users to check out the good look-back on the original, original Tomb Raider Gamasutra had. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/187601/untold_riches_the_intricate_.php

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KenOD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tomb Raider Anniversary -- MB-02779C8D723BB7EB - Taken by Hanzou. 12 entrants total.
An impressive remake of the original PS1 title, it can be good to return to this puzzle platformer that holds up as one of the best in the franchise.

t1405583167z1.png

Anustart

If you had 12.69 to spend on steam, what would you buy?

Yes, this is a stealth Look on steam store and find me something post.

And why would I even do this when I have a large backlog? What compels to spend my steam wallet??

I kind of rambled on it here. The shorter version is that it definitely starts out much stronger than it ends. The first town and first selection of quests have the greatest depth and breadth, and the encounters require the most thought and planning (partially due to the player still learning the game's systems and the specific roles of their characters). It's definitely a really meaty game with people finishing their playthroughs at 60-75 hours. The art is great, the world is whimisical and memorable, the music is complimentary. There are some really obtuse puzzles that sometimes boil down to pixel hunts, and some of the mechanics, such as the Rock-Papers-Scissors Charisma checks just didn't sit well with me. The UI is functional and improving with patches (including and updated sort capability and streamlined identification) and the turn based combat is snappy.

I don't like how there are swathes of the game where you just end up in encounter after encounter and this is generally past the point where you know a surefire way to victory without much struggle (maybe hard mode would have helped here? That's on me) so encounters by the end were a little bit like chores. The game is definitely at it's best when it mixes in battle-laden excursions with quest-focused journal referencing and progression within the game's world, which is more in the front half of the game rather than the back.

There are some personal taste discussions about the randomization of loot and vendor goods, my take was that it was enjoyable to not know exactly which spells and weapons were going to become available to me and which I would have to subsidize through learning some crafting.

Thanks for the deep impressions.

How are the sidequests during the end of the game? Normally such games really offer a lot of sidequests early, but after maybe the middle of the game they become more and more less.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Yayy got a Operation Breakout and Phoenix case in two consecutive matches. Thanks Gaben!

Ah, i remember playing the YGO games on GBA/DS. I remember those were really good! Also, they could always port Millennium Duels which came out digitally on consoles a few months back. So much wasted potential not having the games on steam...sigh.

Millenium Duels has tons of DLC, though. It's not that bad since you could probably edit your savegame on PCs, though.

iosefe

And why would I even do this when I have a large backlog? What compels to spend my steam wallet??

SpeedRunners. join the fun

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Super House of Dead Ninjas and it's DLC. I've done so 60 some times now, so it must be good. Though you could wait for a sale on this.

Abyss Odyssey is being played by a lot of us, and it's good fun. Tree golem on a jellyfish, good times.

Levyne

Banned
Thanks for the deep impressions.

How are the sidequests during the end of the game? Normally such games really offer a lot of sidequests early, but after maybe the middle of the game they become more and more less.

There's a late game outpost/village 3/4th's of the way through that has a somewhat involved series of quests, but it's still a little bit dwarfed by the opening of the game and the first town, Cyseal, and parts of the second area. It's definitely frontloaded.

JaseC

Remember Me is roughly $10. You'd even have enough left for The Last Express... and Hydrophobia because why not it's 49c.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

SpeedRunners is a lot of fun if you don't already have it.

There's a late game outpost/village 3/4th's of the way through that has a somewhat involved series of quests, but it's still a little bit dwarfed by the opening of the game and the first town, Cyseal, and parts of the second area. It's definitely frontloaded.

Thanks. Seems like a game you can lose yourself in.

Anustart

Frantic four player fun. Has a series of single player mission to teach, and challenging be missions. Local play support

Hmm, it's early access. My problem with early access is that I'll lose interest before the full game comes out and not even play the finished product probably. Hmm... Online play too? I am getting my controller tomorrow.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didnt buy The Last Express because im sure it will be bundled eventually

am I a terrible person?

yes

iosefe

Hmm, it's early access. My problem with early access is that I'll lose interest before the full game comes out and not even play the finished product probably. Hmm... Online play too?
Yup. But yes, it's early access, and comes with it's glitches. It usually works, and works well. But it is fun when you play with three of your comrades

yuraya

Its an amazing game. The first couple hours are a bit overwhelming because its hard to figure out a few things, like what to do, where to go, skills, etc. But once that initial learning curve is out of the way..the game becomes an instant classic. Great soundtrack. Very strategic and rewarding turn based combat. The game is also extremely sandboxy and offers a lot of freedom. One of the better games I've played in recent years. Deserves all the hype and than some. I am only about 30 hours in tho and still in the beginning town area. So I can't really comment on the endgame. But from what I played so far this game is easily GOTY material. Game is delicious props to Larian for putting together such a fun game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Wow...

I feel like today is the worst birthday I had. I thought it can be quite nice to have a birthday in another country, but somehow everything is going down the gutter.I really think this is one of the most shitty birthdays I ever had.

:( I hope that it somehow gets better.

I didnt buy The Last Express because im sure it will be bundled eventually

am I a terrible person?

yes

Yes you are. And I plan to fix that.

Lemme just plug Unrest again... ;)
Otherwise, Remember me.

Unrest looks so good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes you are. And I plan to fix that.

dont fix anything, im not being cheap or stealth begging, its a 1.50€ game or whatever it is. Its just annoying for someone that buys every bundle to usually own 90% of the games in them. Gifting is cool and why I buy every bundle even when I just need 1 or 2 games in it or something, but lets not get coy here, I prefer if I dont have the bundle games lol.

you have any idea how excited I was when I had NONE of the games in the latest indieroyale? that shit was amazing!

JaseC

but MS3 was bundled, thats how I own it >_>

...I didn't think to look up Metal Slug 3 because it's a relatively recent release Still, though, The Last Express is, unlike the others, self-published by DotEmu and has yet to be bundled despite being 8 months old. Plus at $1.75 you'd be hardly cursing the heavens even if it were to appear in a $3.99 bundle tomorrow.

wilflare

it's amazing how EA just conveniently puts Singapore as part of China
- and there's no way we get typhoons in Singapore lol
- and all those Chinese billboards. lol -facepalm-

BF4rant

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
dont fix anything, im not being cheap, its a 1.50€ game or whatever it is. Its just annoying for someone that buys every bundle to usually own 90% of the games in them. Gifting is cool and why I buy every bundle even when I just need 1 or 2 games in it or something, but lets not get coy here, I prefer if I dont have the bundle games lol

you have any idea how excited I was when I had NONE of the games in the latest indieroyale? that shit was amazing!

...I suppose I'm too fast for my own good sometimes :|

Another World

Which is a shame because it's a really great game that everyone should play at some point in their life.

Speaking of Unrest, the Special Edition is still $12 on GMG. This can be reduced further to $9.59 (effectively a ~62% discount) using the -20% code.

Too bad it doesn't work with Playfire money, which renders it useless to me.

_hekk05

Banned

BF4rant

Ehhhh really? There's a Singapore BF4 map?

It's US geography fails all over again. Singapore is part of China.

And all our billboards are either english or multilingual lol

JaseC

BF4rant

Implementing bugs was more important than geographical accuracy. :p

Too bad it doesn't work with Playfire money, which renders it useless to me.

Yeah, those days are well and truly gone now, unsurprisingly. I have $1.78 sitting in my account that I'll likely never use now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom