• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
GI's list is pretty bad, but the golden age of shooters has been 1993-present (Doom till forever). As someone who plays pretty much everything featuring guns be shot from the third of first person perspective, it has and will always be a great time to be a gamer.

That time period was more consistent though. There are some good shooters here and there, but really, pacing and level design suffered a lot this gen. And I don't really like tying upgrades and XP to combat.

Hmm if Sacred 3 is just Torchlight 2 with controller support... I'm okay with that.

Edit: shouldn't we be getting a new thread right about now?

August starts on Friday :p

Lain

While Alexa's data is about as accurate as Harold Camping, here's a breakdown of where traffic may be coming from.

Check out BelgiumGAF and PeruGAF!

Though the Steam thread is one of the most multicultural (well in terms of nationality of posters that is) I've seen here on the basis of the regulars. We should all do a Benetton advert together.

No Italy? Weird.

I'm not liking it, won't buy it, too different from the old ones.

I already bought it since it was cheap enough, though I'm half regretting it. Will find out if it turns into full regret in some days lol.

Gangxxter

I like the new library filtering options in the latest beta client.
Next step would be to add the ability to put games into another category via drag&drop and to manually order games/categories (as opposed to the alphabetical order).

Dr Dogg

Bwaha, it's doubly funny when I actually wanted to know what the sorting features in the beta look like and not how to get into beta. Oh my, not only do I understand English hard but I make others understand me not right, too. Haha.

Hahaha don't worry you missed my really stupid mistake when I first put those images up. Even in the old client you could set custom categories for you library entries by doing this
9RKDClG.png

Then adding what every text you want such as this

Which would give you a custom category like this

So you could hide and filter select games, Though now with the last couple of beta client update you can select the library to only show specific categories which before hand you could only chose the standard Steam ones (Games, Favourites, Mac or Linux on those clients). So you could have your library page just showing this

With your fancy category name displayed as well. So like Deques posted earlier if you wanted to have a specific category of just certain titles you could have just that displayed in you main library page. So for example say you're the crazy sort that has a bazillion categories for every genre under the sun, then you could select that and just have them show in your library with nothing else taking up the space.

Does that make sense?

That "Christmas only" DLH.net Enclave key giveaway?
It's still active, apparently.
Thanks for pointing out. Also, heads up. You don't have to make a DLH account, a (dummy) facebook account is enough to get the key. I actually didn't want the game, but give it here away for those not wanting to bother but you don't get a key. Instead it let's you sign through steam and adds the game directly on you account.
[...]
Kiss my bundles Lunar bundle
Price: 4.99$
  • QUBE Director's Cut
  • Lunar Panda (Desura)
  • Pressured (Desura)
  • Pester (Desura)
  • Ampu-tea
  • Smash Cat (Desura)
  • Steam Heroes (Desura)
  • Storm in a Teacup
Qube looks cool. But all others I don't know. Not worth 5 for me. Next sale is soon. Have to start getting in on that idlemaster craze. If all goes well, I should get at least 100 cards (~8€), factor in cards I already have worth 8€ and playfire which I have about 2pounds (should reach 5). Should be enough for about a dozen games during sale.

Turfster, how do you get all these deals? Are you constantly checking every store and bundle page? Thanks for doing so, would never find this all on my own.
While Alexa's data is about as accurate as Harold Camping, here's a breakdown of where traffic may be coming from.
Though the Steam thread is one of the most multicultural (well in terms of nationality of posters that is) I've seen here on the basis of the regulars. We should all do a Benetton advert together.
Wow, Canada so low. Always thought it to be much higher. Don't know why I thought that because of two admins being from there? My judgement is clouded.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That time period was more consistent though. There are some good shooters here and there, but really, pacing and level design suffered a lot this gen. And I don't really like tying upgrades and XP too.
I'm currently working through Quake II plus the expansions at the moment and the level design and pacing is trash. There were really only good shooters here and there back in the day too if that's how you want to frame your judgement.

Dr Dogg

Ah man, sorry for bothering you too much. Thanks, now things are clear.
Is it also possible to have games show in multiple categories at once? E.g. Stalker in FPS and in CLASSIC? That'd be neat.

Good news!

Though you can only display all categories at once and have the ones you don't want to see closed or have it just display one category at a time. So as you can see my library page is set to show all and then I have the categories I want to view expanded and the others closed.

I regularly check a couple of aggregate sites that list deals, then check their links for content.
Even in the state your arm is in, that's dedication. You know when I started appreciate it? When you were not there and no deals were posted/or ugly formatted.

Dr Doog, that's brilliant. Gonna go beta! Thanks.

Good news!

Though you can only display all categories at once and have the ones you don't want to see closed or have it just display one category at a time. So as you can see my library page is set to show all and then I have the categories I want to view expanded and the others closed.
About time, but I think it's too late for most of us to re-categorize our games.

Axass

Hi, I'm new to Steam: even though I originally signed up for it two years ago, I only started buying and playing through it recently; so I'll probably drop a bunch of questions here now and then.

First I'd like to ask whether that's a way so that my playtime is recorded even when I'm offline. I love the feature but right now I can only play on a laptop and I'm almost always forced to play offline.

Arthea

About time, but I think it's too late for most of us to re-categorize or games.

ya, I don't see myself recategorizing either, too much work

on unrelated topic, I don't remember us talking about it much, but there are basically no chances getting Destiny on PC released at the later date or are there?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hi, I'm new to Steam: even though I originally signed up for it two years ago, I only started buying and playing through it recently; so I'll probably drop a bunch of questions here now and then.

First I'd like to ask whether that's a way so that my playtime is recorded even when I'm offline. I love the feature but right now I can only play on a laptop and I'm almost always forced to play offline.

There is no way. It's something I'd like to see Valve change -- just cache the playtime values locally and then add them into the mix when Steam is online again.

Porcupine

Where is GermanyGaf? :( More people from Peru than from Germany?

Articalys

So after I had the chance to sleep on how terrible I am at DMC4, I was wondering, should I try out the PS3 controller or just stick with the 360 one? Would it make a difference?

Also, wow, this thread is going to be in maximum overtime mode for a couple days, huh.

aku:jiki

I randomly went back to Hero Siege for my daily quick arcade session fix and it's apparently seen some heavy patching! Since I last played it, I feel like the base resolution is higher (allowing you to see more around you) and they finally made the abilities useful and gave each character more than one. Oh, it got DLC with a new chapter (set in Japan), new items and a new character (a samurai, obviously). Think I'm gonna dive back in and try to level up all my non-knight characters.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

X-Com: Apocalypse (Steam) -- MB-B2B84C072F18EC09 - Taken by nightstorm
ulgzbKC.png
Chester (Desura) #2 -- MB-309F01E9F0A6926A - Taken by GaussTek
The Howler (Steam) -- MB-C7D36F28087A0D71 - Taken by Saty
ulgzbKC.png
Chester (Desura) -- MB-AD7839D7FC8EB8FE - Taken by Darth Kupi
Rogue's (not rouge) Tale (Steam) -- MB-767EF5F1A29C36B0 - Taken by Milamber
X-Com: Interceptor (Steam) -- MB-529227E49E86A2ED - Taken by Double
IBomber Defense Pacific (Steam) -- MB-C320F87C0EFEA663 - Taken by Milamber
X-Com: Enforcer (Steam) -- MB-EE129D72D685D978 - Taken by nightstorm
Data Hacker - Initiation (Steam) -- MB-2EE0D24F93E0BC12 - Taken by Gintoki
Quest Run (Steam) -- MB-39C7A29AFF77991B - Taken by darkchewie
ulgzbKC.png
Radical Heroes: Crimson City Crisis (Desura) -- MB-FA41F079126BD154 - Taken by cardinalmind

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for X-Com: Apocalypse (Steam) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Chester (Desura) #2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Error: The key you tried to add for Thief Gold (Steam) failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.

Note: The key you added for Chester (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for X-Com: Interceptor (Steam) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for IBomber Defense Pacific (Steam) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for X-Com: Enforcer (Steam) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Data Hacker - Initiation (Steam) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Radical Heroes: Crimson City Crisis (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Demoli

So, everytime i try to complete the installation of AoE2 HD, Steam asks me to install something called "Steam service component", yet every time I try to accept steam just crashes. Any ideas?

A few years ago, I'm pretty sure Evilore (or another admin) said Alexa stats were bullshit.
EDIT: Here - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14274803&postcount=16 and here - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14275165&postcount=36
Yeah, Evilore shared official statistics, albeit from 2009.
NeoGAF gets visitors from nearly everywhere on the planet (barring a few countries in africa, and north korea). Here's the top 10 (rounded, last 30 days):
USA - 50%
United Kingdom - 9%
Canada - 9%
Australia - 4%
Germany - 3%
Netherlands - 2%
France - 2%
Sweden - 2%
Spain - 2%
Italy - 1%
Still would have guessed Canada to be higher.

EDIT: Code still shows when quoted. Like the font but it's too spammy. Changed to Quote.

Porcupine

Code:
NeoGAF gets visitors from nearly everywhere on the planet (barring a few countries in africa, and north korea). Here's the top 10 (rounded, last 30 days):
USA - 50%
United Kingdom - 9%
Canada - 9%
Australia - 4%
Germany - 3%
Netherlands - 2%
France - 2%
Sweden - 2%
Spain - 2%
Italy - 1%

It's nice to see that Germany isn't as underrepresented as we thought it might be ;)

Code:
USA - 50%
United Kingdom - 9%
Canada - 9%
Australia - 4%
Germany - 3%
Netherlands - 2%
France - 2%
Sweden - 2%
Spain - 2%
Italy - 1%

Canada only has a population of like what? 40 Million? compared to USAs like 400 million. I am from Canada :) Edit. Just checked wiki UK has 30MIllion more people than Canada but the same % of visitors.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
just a short note - this key MIGHT already be used ... I'm not entirely sure, so please - don't hate me if it is ... but, if it works - enjoy :)
there might also be pre-order DLC included with it - not sure about that either

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Age of Wonders 3 -- MB-CBFFB26572680B56 - Taken by Catshade. 59 entrants total.

t1406739559z1.png

Yrael

Code:
USA - 50%
United Kingdom - 9%
Canada - 9%
Australia - 4%
Germany - 3%
Netherlands - 2%
France - 2%
Sweden - 2%
Spain - 2%
Italy - 1%

Heh, Australia's percentage is the same either way. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom