• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz573

Story v gameplay, but you could say the same for several indie titles. To The Moon is prime example of thay.

Besides, there are a number of VNs that are gameplay focused. Like for example SRPGs where you have VN sequences, sometimes quite lengthy, between battles.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I didn't win anything and lost all my points in failed bank heists, but at least I got to see Killing Floor 2 is a much smoother and better looking version over the first game.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
This is up for debate.
If we say they're not, we exclude games like Papers, Please, Stanley Parable, Gone Home, The Walking Dead, etc. where the choices for narrative are (generally) the gameplay.

Also something to consider, crpgs' dialogue choices are considered gameplay, why shouldn't this?

Do posts about what people are allowed to post about fall under "anything else"? Because there's more of those than there are posts about anime, food, and PSN.
If we don't curb the off-topic posting, we risk being closed like HaloGAF. Posts about the community itself shouldn't be considered off-topic (e.g. what about STEAM GotY, which is generally done in within the thread)?

Posts about specific members (e.g. birthdays, personal beefs) should go to PMs.

Caerith

Besides, there are a number of VNs that are gameplay focused. Like for example SRPGs where you have VN sequences, sometimes quite lengthy, between battles.

Or for example Mass Effect, where the main draw is the story and the decisions but they split it up with lots and lots of tedious shooting to make you think it isn't a VN.

If we say they're not, we exclude games like Papers, Please, Stanley Parable, Gone Home, The Walking Dead, etc. where the choices for narrative are (generally) the gameplay.

Also something to consider, crpgs' dialogue choices are considered gameplay, why shouldn't this?

If we don't curb the off-topic posting, we risk being closed like HaloGAF. Posts about the community itself shouldn't be considered off-topic (e.g. what about STEAM GotY, which is generally done in within the thread)?

There are two types of VN: those that are perfectly linear and offer no choices, and those that allow choices. There can be a debate as to whether the former are games. I mean, yeah they're on Steam, but so are movies.

I'm in favor of curbing off-topic posting, but the problem is that there's way too much posting about curbing off-topic posting. Like, if an off-topic post is a disease, and a post telling people to stay on-topic is a white blood cell, there's a word for having too many/too active white blood cells and it's basically also a disease.

So, yeah we need to curb the off-topic posting, but we also need to curb the curbing of the off-topic posting. You know, before this thread gets moved to Community.

zkylon

zkylewd

not really at risk, can't remember the last time a mod had to show up to stop ppl messing around too much

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Btw. arent posts complaining about OT post also OT Posts?

Yes, that's why we should decide for some posting rules or guidelines when it comes to the subject talked about in the posts.

Because right now there is just too much complaining about other peoples posts, some of them completly shitty reasons (looking at you guys ;) ...)

not really at risk, can't remember the last time a mod had to show up to stop ppl messing around too much

We're far away from becoming halogaf, we actually have on-topic stuff, we actually have MOSTLY on-topic stuff.

Jazz573

Or for example Mass Effect, where the main draw is the story and the decisions but they split it up with lots and lots of tedious shooting to make you think it isn't a VN.

Except that ME is generally not considered a VN. I agree that there are many CRPGs that share certain characteristics to VNs. VNDB doesn't consider it one, and if you added it, it would be removed and you'd probably be laughed at for doing it. I know someone tried to add the Witcher series and it was removed. :p

Dsyndrome

Twitch giveaways always happen when I'm off doing something.

Looking forward to Cradle later this week. Any reason it's rolling out off the normal update schedule?

Edit: pretty sure corrosive was trolling every time he posted the off topic comments.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I like the shooting in ME tho :p

ME3 multi-player was actually mechanically really good. I wished they would release it F2P so we could get a bigger community on there.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Btw. arent posts complaining about OT post also OT Posts?
I don't think so, because it's about the community itself.

Even so, the off-topic posts have also alienated a lot of previous members. I think if it's about PC anime games, they ought to suck it up, and skip over it like I do with FPS posts.

Treating the thread as a chat needed to stop though, and it recently has, thankfully. Even JaseC was having trouble keeping up with the thread before. We just need to make sure this continues.

Salsa

im not feeling Ori as much as I thought I would

I think it's a good and gorgeous game, and the mechanics and tight controls are right up my alley, but some of the talk put my expectations off the charts I guess

Twitch giveaways always happen when I'm off doing something.

Looking forward to Cradle later this week. Any reason it's rolling out off the normal update schedule?

Edit: pretty sure corrosive was trolling every time he posted the off topic comments.

Trolling? No. Not exactly. :lol

Lain

I thought it was pretty obvious he was... aping? Grief.

In other news, I have now ascended 3 times in Clicker Heroes and grabbed a couple ancients, one of which gives me more DPS if I idle, so farming is even more chill.
Why are new games still being developed, when the definitive experience is already here? Something to ponder.

Dsyndrome

In other news, I have now ascended 3 times in Clicker Heroes and grabbed a couple ancients, one of which gives me more DPS if I idle, so farming is even more chill.
Why are new games still being developed, when the definitive experience is already here? Something to ponder.
Ascended 10 times, now I'm at 205 and I don't want to go back down. It's a slog to the Dead knight, that's for sure.

Caerith

Except that ME is generally not considered a VN. I agree that there are many CRPGs that share certain characteristics to VNs. VNDB doesn't consider it one, and if you added it, it would be removed and you'd probably be laughed at for doing it. I know someone tried to add the Witcher series and it was removed. :p
That's because genres are still considered absolutes, really. The Walking Dead isn't considered a VN, either, because you click on things and clicking means point & click adventure game.

I like the shooting in ME tho :p

ME3 multi-player was actually mechanically really good. I wished they would release it F2P so we could get a bigger community on there.

I like the shooting in ME, too. I just wish there wasn't so much of it.

Deitus

Even so, the off-topic posts have also alienated a lot of previous members. I think if it's about PC anime games, they ought to suck it up, and skip over it like I do with FPS posts.

Treating the thread as a chat needed to stop though, and it recently has, thankfully. Even JaseC was having trouble keeping up with the thread before. We just need to make sure this continues.

I'd argue that the "you guys are ruining this thread; it was so much better before [insert group that likes thing I don't] showed up" talk is much more alienating than someone occasionally talking about a movie that they saw or that they had a bad day at work. Not saying that's what you are doing here, but we've gone through that dance a number of times in the last year, and it's always more thread derailing than any of the off topic discussion it hopes to cub.

As for being able to keep up with the thread, that has very little to do with off topic discussion, and everything to do with sheer volume of posts. It's okay to not read every single post in the thread if you don't have the time (I know I certainly don't). If anything, off topic posts are easy to skip over when trying to catch up on the thread. This thread has slowed down considerably from where it was a year ago (in part due to the move to community), and aside from months where Steam Sales occur, we generally only go through one thread a month nowadays.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like arguing what counts as a game and what doesn't is pretty pointless

there's nothing to be really gained by associating or not associating the word "game" with visual novels. it won't make them appeal better to ppl that don't like that sort of game and it won't really legitimize them either. and visual novels aren't any less cool because they're not part of the "game" circuit or whatever. like, a lot of shit things are games, like all those shit games that are on steam that are like totally shit and have shitty gameplay.

being a game isn't good in itself

the problem isn't so much that it's offtopic, but that it warps the thread because someone's gonna get pissed off and start a fight over it

there's no point to constantly remind people of not going offtopic

if you quickly check out the posts above yours, they were mostly talking about on topic stuff, new games coming to steam, enhancedsteam, killfloor crap and chilvalry parties and shit. it's not 100% ontopic, but steam thread was never 100% ontopic.

thing is, here comes your post and waddya know the thread is now not fun or talking about fun stuff and instead it's talking about how valid your post is or isn't. so your post about "keep it on topic you guys" has hurt the thread instead of helping it despite your bestest of intentions

try to think about that next time

it's true that it sucks if ppl feel like they don't belong to the thread anymore, but the incessant reminder of "thou must not off topic" has the exact same effect as ppl talking about anime or alpacas or whatever

also you shouldn't use "false threats" (or whatever) as a way of making your point. the risk of steamgaf turning into halogaf isn't real because (afaik from what ppl told me) halogaf was pretty messed up in comparison

so yeah, like i always say, want to pull ppl back into interesting, meaningful conversation about steam? you just need to join in and lead the way! there were many cool topics to talk about before your post, like them killfloor stuffs and the way of the samurai thing and whatnot

rtcn63

I dunno, could you imagine what NeoGAF would be like if people posted in threads without reading what others said before them?

tumblr_lraknh2Drz1qmvdpl.gif

Volimar

How about we keep the meta commentary about other people's posts out of the thread and if people really think someone's comments don't belong then they PM a mod about it
narc
and then everyone can enjoy the thread more?

:D

UgpR2iE.gif

r3n4ud

How about we keep the meta commentary about other people's posts out of the thread and if people really think someone's comments don't belong then they PM a mod about it
narc

UgpR2iE.gif
Terrible idea. I needs ma drama

Jazz573

That's because genres are still considered absolutes, really. The Walking Dead isn't considered a VN, either, because you click on things and clicking means point & click adventure game.

I like the shooting in ME, too. I just wish there wasn't so much of it.

Here's the definition VNDB uses:

VNDB said:
A visual novel can be seen as a combination of a novel and a computer game: they're computer games with a large text based storyline and only little interaction of the player. A typical visual novel consists of text over an anime-style background image and is accompanied by background music. Throughout the game, the player usually has to answer a few questions which will have an effect on the story, thus playing a visual novel a second time while giving other answers may result in an entirely different plot.
source

In their guidelines for adding VNs they say this:

VNDB said:
To be included in this database, a game needs to use the novel narrative consistently for telling its story. Examples include describing visuals, events, character actions or thoughts.

This storytelling needs to be uninterrupted* for a significant length and employing one of the known Visual Novel presentation methods such as ADV, NVL and their variations.
*Uninterrupted by gameplay sequences, not by choices or simple map movement.

source

I realize VNDB isn't necessarily the absolute authority on what qualifies as a VN, but I still think these are generally good definitions. So it seems for them, narrative is an important part of what defines a VN.

And with regards to point and click there are actually quite a few VNs with point and click as you can see here.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
there's no point to constantly remind people of not going offtopic

if you quickly check out the posts above yours, they were mostly talking about on topic stuff, new games coming to steam, enhancedsteam, killfloor crap and chilvalry parties and shit. it's not 100% ontopic, but steam thread was never 100% ontopic.

thing is, here comes your post and waddya know the thread is now not fun or talking about fun stuff and instead it's talking about how valid your post is or isn't. so your post about "keep it on topic you guys" has hurt the thread instead of helping it despite your bestest of intentions

This part is the thing which I agree with the most, the thread will never be 100 on-topic but pointing out the off-topic things mostly leads to people going from posting on-topic to go talking about stuff being or not being off-topic.

It just completly disrupts the thread and it ends up the same way it was before after a few pages with probably even more passive-agressive people with pent up anger for some reason.

Was Gat out of Hell removed from the store? I see no option to buy it, just the DLC.

You're right, I can't find the buy button on it's page.

Momentary

Banned
narc

UgpR2iE.gif

I knew this shit would catch on once I planted the seed. For those just wondering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-vje-bq9c. You're welcome.

Guys... I'm dying for some Disgaea on Steam. Why the hell is NIS so oblivious to the fact that they could probably sell 3 times more copies on this platform than they did in Japan. Hell most semi obscure JRPGs have been outselling the console guys.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
There are two types of VN: those that are perfectly linear and offer no choices, and those that allow choices. There can be a debate as to whether the former are games. I mean, yeah they're on Steam, but so are movies.

I'm in favor of curbing off-topic posting, but the problem is that there's way too much posting about curbing off-topic posting. Like, if an off-topic post is a disease, and a post telling people to stay on-topic is a white blood cell, there's a word for having too many/too active white blood cells and it's basically also a disease.

So, yeah we need to curb the off-topic posting, but we also need to curb the curbing of the off-topic posting. You know, before this thread gets moved to Community.
Yeah, I guess the linear VN is pretty debatable. Even in jrpgs, where the narrative is often linear, the story is treated as "separate" from the mechanical gameplay. I'd actually consider the story cutscenes as incentive to progress the game, but that's just me.

But I do think you have a point with off-topic post complaining. I feel like some people are passive aggressively venting their frustration/dislike of anime, even if it's regarding an anime game on STEAM itself. Usually I'd think that if a person with authority laid down the guidelines (e.g., mods or the OT creator,) there wouldn't be a need to self-police as much, but Mr. Orange's good post bad post thing was pretty much summarily ignored. I'm not sure what a possible solution to this problem would be, but that's why the community hashes things out like this.

I'd argue that the "you guys are ruining this thread; it was so much better before [insert group that likes thing I don't] showed up" talk is much more alienating than someone occasionally talking about a movie that they saw or that they had a bad day at work. Not saying that's what you are doing here, but we've gone through that dance a number of times in the last year, and it's always more thread derailing than any of the off topic discussion it hopes to cub.

As for being able to keep up with the thread, that has very little to do with off topic discussion, and everything to do with sheer volume of posts. It's okay to not read every single post in the thread if you don't have the time (I know I certainly don't). If anything, off topic posts are easy to skip over when trying to catch up on the thread. This thread has slowed down considerably from where it was a year ago (in part due to the move to community), and aside from months where Steam Sales occur, we generally only go through one thread a month nowadays.
I think you're right about the volume of posts being the problem, but I feel like it makes the off-topicness more noticeable than before. Before, it was alright when people were posting about a random movie they liked, because it was only a few posts out of the 2-3 pages you'd get in a day. But right before the move to community, you'd have like 10 people doing this and responding to each other, so it'd just get bothersome. But I'd guess the overall post volume correlates with the broadening scope of STEAM itself, whether in games or in members using the service, so I can't really fault people for posting in general.

I don't read every page anymore, but it just sucks when news is buried and I don't see it, because GAF is my primary gaming news outlet. It's a shame that the news thread died an undignified death. In this regard, it'd be nice if there was a content scraper or something that just collated the news links and posted the approved ones to a thread/twitter or something. Probably would be a pain in the ass to get running, though.

try to think about that next time
More or less, I was just continuing the conversation about off-topic posts (i.e. the responses to corrosivefrost's post, which was quoted in a few posts ahead of mine, although I'm not sure if he was just being facetious in the first place.) The conversation was already there, so it's kind of disingenuous to pin this all on me, but okay. And it's not like conversation has to be about fun stuff all the time anyway? Otherwise, why would we talk about, for example, the harassment devs are facing from TotalBiscuit's 30fps police curator thing.

But anyway, several people have pointed out that I'm derailng with this, so I'll stop it with this post.

also you shouldn't use "false threats" (or whatever) as a way of making your point. the risk of steamgaf turning into halogaf isn't real because (afaik from what ppl told me) halogaf was pretty messed up in comparison
Uh, that wasn't intended as a threat in the least? I have zero interaction with HaloGAF, so everything I've heard about their situation has come from this thread. If I'm misinformed, I'm sorry? Not sure what else to say.

Jazz573

I knew this shit would catch on once I planted the seed.

Guys... I'm dying for some Disgaea on Steam. Why the hell is NIS so oblivious to the fact that they could probably sell 3 times more copies on this platform than they did in Japan. Hell most semi obscure JRPGs have been outselling the console guys.

Because NIS is a Japanese game developer and Japanese game developers tend to be very stubborn. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom