• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I'm curious, has it been confirmed that street fighter 5 is only 12 characters or is that a rumor? $60 is a lot of money for only 12 characters and the little content street fighter normally has. I was expecting it to be like 30 or 40.

It's apparently supposed to actually have a story mode this time. We shall see though.

I'm curious, has it been confirmed that street fighter 5 is only 12 characters or is that a rumor? $60 is a lot of money for only 12 characters and the little content street fighter normally has. I was expecting it to be like 30 or 40.

No that's not how fighting games work. Brand new fighting games from scratch always have a low number of characters. Blazblue Calamity Trigger for example launched with 12 or 13 for example. Now your response would be "But Street Fighter has been around much longer than that." Yes but every new iteration of Street fighter has around 12 to I guess since SF4 to 16 characters at launch.

Street Fighter 3 New Generation only had 11 characters not counting the boss Gill. Then by Third Strike there were 19 playable ones.

Street Fighter 4 after a certain point stopped caring and just started adding characters with reckless abandon. A game that has ton of characters doesn't make it good after all. It's about the quality of the characters that they first provide. Reason why I don't mind paying full price for a game with a small roster. As long as that roster isn't like less than SF2's which is 8.

On the subject of quality, in a fighting game the characters ARE the game. They are the mechanics, they are the interactions. A whole reason I find DLC characters very insulting because you are locking actual mechanics of the video game behind DLC, not a lot of people seem to get that though and that's a rant for another time.

but Smash 4 had like 50

And guess what Smash isn't, quoted by Sakurai himself.

This coming from someone who enjoys Smash.

Smash wouldn't even be played if it wasn't for the characters. That's why Smash clones fail. That's another reason it has so many.

It's apparently supposed to actually have a story mode this time. We shall see though.
yea, I'll believe it when i see it.
I think the rumor is 12 returning characters and 4 new. So a total of 16 fighters. Depending on how many clones they include I think this is good number.
16? still too few for that price.
No that's not how fighting games work. Brand new fighting games from scratch always have a low number of characters. Blazblue Calamity Trigger for example launched with 12 or 13 for example. Now your response would be "But Street Fighter has been around much longer than that." Yes but every new iteration of Street fighter has around 12 to I guess since SF4 to 16 characters at launch.

Street Fighter 3 New Generation only had 11 characters not counting the boss Gill. Then by Third Strike there were 19 playable ones.

Street Fighter 4 after a certain point stopped caring and just started adding characters with reckless abandon. A game that has ton of characters doesn't make it good after all. It's about the quality of the characters that they first provide. Reason why I don't mind paying full price for a game with a small roster. As long as that roster isn't like less than SF2's which is 8.

street fighter has such wonderful quality too, doesn't it? /s

also smash had 50 characters.

have less than 20 characters? better have a lot of content in it to justify that $60 price tag or you can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Smash Bros isnt as technically deep and fleshed out on terms of movesets as other fighters and when there are some sharing similar movesets of course its easy to make 50 fighters. Tekken if you wanna go for accuracy has tons of characters but then again it suffers from the clone syndrome. I rather have 20 unique characters (which SFV wont really have) than 50 characters where about 30-40% use moves from other characters.

So Good

1321542383470877800.gif

Warner Brothers drastically need to re-evaluate their stance on PC versions. It's not the first time they didn't put enough quality into QA.

I am not saying Smash can't be considered as a fighting game, just that a lot of people seem to not consider it one. I am just saying it's not a traditional one so it doesn't follow the rules of one.

Did I say that?

it doesn't matter if people want to consider it as one or not, because it is. and the games are always packed with content all around. there is no reason to defend SF5's rumored 12 (or 16) characters for $60 if its going to have as little content as SF4.

edit: also look at mortal kombat as well, packed full of content, justified its $60 price tag and thats a "traditional fighter" as you'd like to put it.

chronomac

Warner Brothers drastically need to re-evaluate their stance on PC versions. It's not the first time they didn't put enough quality into QA.

They need to give devs time to do their own version. Asylum and City ran fine. If you need to delay it, then do that. It worked out for Rockstar (although it did feel like it took forever)

it doesn't matter if people want to consider it as one or not, because it is. and the games are always packed with content all around. there is no reason to defend SF5's rumored 12 (or 16) characters for $60 if its going to have as little content as SF4.

Again that isn't how fighting games work and if you only play Smash you don't understand what I am saying and I feel like this is a waste of my time.

Street Fighter games start with a roster this size usually every new iteration and they don't have to follow the rules because Smash Bros, a compilation game made by Nintendo which operates another angle entirely regardless of it being a fighting game or not, which ever side you fall on, it doesn't have to follow. Neither do other fighting games.

Again that isn't how fighting games work and if you only play Smash you don't understand what I am saying and I feel like this is a waste of my time.

Street Fighter games start with a roster this size usually every new iteration and they don't have to follow the rules because Smash Bros, a compilation game made by Nintendo which operates another angle entirely regardless of it being a fighting game or not, which ever side you fall on, it doesn't have to follow. Neither do other fighting games.

look at mortal kombat as well, packed full of content, justified its $60 price tag and thats a "traditional fighter" as you'd like to put it.

I understand waht you're saying loud and clear, it just doesn't make a lick of sense. its okay because thats how fighters do it. no its not

wilflare

I can't be only one very disappointed that Shiness is EA....
Hopefully it won't stay there for years.
Nice thread, btw

edited: unless Trails SC gets released this month as many of us hope, it will be cheapest month for me in years, as in not buying anything.

I read EA as Electronics Arts... and I almost threw up..
Early Access :/ oh well - I should really rethink my Kickstarters

----
Cognition - how do I tell if I own Episode 3 and 4
SteamDB says I own the current GOTY version in store.. but not Epi 3 and 4
the GOTY depot has Epi 3 and 4... so do I own them... or not

komorebi

Nuvvem's giving me the cold shoulder even with Hola. I purchased something 3 days ago and it was fine, now this morning I'm getting "Operation cancelled. At least one product in your cart is not available for purchase in your region." Damnit!

Kaleinc

Banned
There's no reason to have 20 divekicking gimmicky mofos either. I prefer solid 16.

I read EA as Electronics Arts... and I almost threw up..
Early Access :/ oh well - I should really rethink my Kickstarters

----
Cognition - how do I tell if I own Episode 3 and 4
SteamDB says I own the current GOTY version in store.. but not Epi 3 and 4
the GOTY depot has Epi 3 and 4... so do I own them... or not

You do, GOTY version has all episodes.
It's an amazing game btw, I loved it, you should play it.

Nuvvem's giving me the cold shoulder even with Hola. I purchased something 3 days ago and it was fine, now this morning I'm getting "Operation cancelled. At least one product in your cart is not available for purchase in your region." Damnit!

Hola flaked out for me. Had to switch to FlyVPN for it to work.

Jawmuncher

look at mortal kombat as well, packed full of content, justified its $60 price tag and thats a "traditional fighter" as you'd like to put it.

I understand waht you're saying loud and clear, it just doesn't make a lick of sense. its okay because thats how fighters do it. no its not

To be fair they haven't said anything about SFV outside its a fighting game, systems, and the current characters. Maybe we should wait until closer to release to say whether it has enough content or not,

I said Street Fighter doesn't do it that way in particular. And when I was saying "Fighting games don't work that way" I meant having 50 characters or so at launch. Marvel vs Capcom is a compilation game as well.

And I never said it was "Okay" I was just saying that's how it happens and the amount of characters doesn't matter, specifically to me. I like Marvel vs Capcom 1 more than 2 (only by a little) or whatever the hell they thought was a good idea with 3. Not because there is less characters, but because it's more fun to play to me.

I get what you are saying in terms of what Smash offers. I understand that, there is a shit load of content in Smash 4 but, my point is that other games don't have to abide by what Smash 4 launched with.

Grief.exe

A Cities: Skylines expansion will be unveiled in early August at Gamescom, developer Colossal Order has revealed.

"We'll have a big expansion and release both free and paid updates, all of which we'll be revealing at Gamescom," company boss Mariina Hallikainen told TechRadar.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ylines-expansion-will-be-unveiled-at-gamescom

xzI9mAy.gif

I don't know if it's fair to just attach arbitrary requirements to games. Smash having 50 fighters may not be relevant in this scenario. Like Jaw said, value propositions are not up for debate either, due to lack of information.

In an extremely balanced competitive environment such as Street Fighter, I doubt you want too many fighters in the game to spoil the meta. Adding tons and tons of fighters means that some will be left so far behind in the meta, they might as well not exist. So the point is moot anyways.

This works in League, MvC, or Dota as you have so many team members and amount of viable configurations, many characters end up relevant as there are so many counter picks.

As I said, best to play the waiting game and make the value proposition determination when we get closer to launch.

To be fair they haven't said anything about SFV outside its a fighting game, systems, and the current characters. Maybe we should wait until closer to release to say whether it has enough content or not,

Uzzy

Nah, lets panic now instead.

To be honest, I'll be very disappointed if Capcom don't deliver on the single player content. SF4's training and story mode are embarrassing compared to pretty much every other fighting game out there. But I'm sure Capcom know that.

Turfster

Groupees Badass Banana Bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • The Music Machine
  • Vangers
  • You are not a Banana
  • Stranded in Time (GL)
TIER 2: 2$
  • MadSpace: To Hell And Beyond
  • Vampire of the Sands (GL)
  • Pongo
  • Space Sleuth (DRMFree)