• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I am trying to set up the Steam authenticator, but that requires an SMS code.

I EVENTUALLY receive an SMS code, but by the time I receive it, the code is apparently bad (it takes something like 5+ minutes to show up on my phone). Is there any solution to this? This is the only phone verification system I'm aware of that takes such a long time to send the message.

I checked the Steam forums and found a thread where other people have the same issues -- the SMS code either doesn't send, or shows up so late it is invalid.
I just tried this again, instantly got an SMS...and instantly got an invalid SMS code error on the app.

Is it just super unreliable? Or is it likely that the SMS I got was from 10-15 minutes ago instead? How long do the codes last?
I tried to remove the phone number using the Windows Steam client. Instant SMS, instant bad SMS code error.

After some googling, someone suggests that you literally cannot use SMS verification if you add it to a phone that doesn't support the Steam authenticator. Wow. It's time for the Steam support rabbit hole I guess.
Weirdly, there doesn't seem to be a "Bug Report" forum for the actual Steam Client. There is only a Bug Report forum for the Steam Client Beta.

No one replied to my posts so I guess my issue must be really rare. :( At any rate, I got a Steam support reply in 2.5 hours (pleasantly surprising). Of course, the reply gave me a link to the phone management page that I had already explained did not work, but at least there was a reply! I have replied with account proof and hopefully they will manually delete the old phone.

Does anyone else keep seeing stuff pop up on isthereanydeal that isn't actually on sale? It's getting kind of annoying, I'll see a discount on something that looks interesting, but when I go to Steam it's not on sale at all.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
No one replied to my posts so I guess my issue must be really rare. :( At any rate, I got a Steam support reply in 2.5 hours (pleasantly surprising). Of course, the reply gave me a link to the phone management page that I had already explained did not work, but at least there was a reply! I have replied with account proof and hopefully they will manually delete the old phone.

If you can, download the Steam app. Rather than SMS, they can route it there.

Blizzard

Banned
If you can, download the Steam app. Rather than SMS, they can route it there.
I did since I finally got a smartphone, but as far as I'm aware I can't link the new phone (with the app) without verifying the old phone with an SMS (which doesn't work due to the bad SMS codes).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Whatever happened to that GAFfer's project where he was trying to make a SteamGAF Visual Novel?

Cheese is still making it, patience.

would be nice, i think the game's pretty good

what's the latest news on it

i haven't been keeping up

It's still happening! Progress has just been... way slower than I thought it would be. Life caught up to most of the team, including my own 4 month long hiatus from even thinking about videogames earlier in the year. The game is fairly dependent on assets (script included!) that weren't completed before things got busy, so we haven't had a lot to show or tease in the meantime... We just started getting our heads back together a few weeks ago, so hopefully it won't be too long before we have something new for everyone!

You can always check the twitter hashtag (and the original tag before the game title changed) for the 'important' updates. Sorry it's taking so long :c

Blizzard

Banned
After the initial 2.5 hour support deplay, I actually got another reply after 5 p.m. west coast time. Impressive!

Sadly, even though I just replied with the last 4 of my credit card, and my phone number, they asked for those same two pieces of information AGAIN, plus some other info. Like, why not ask for all of that originally?

Jawmuncher

You should all be pretty hyped for Jill

Jill was given the nickname "Dinosaur Jr" by a staff member who found her trying to stay at a museum exhibit for raptors. #SuijokiAcademy
Naturally, her classmates got wind of this, and it stuck. To this day, she's still unaware of the musical reference. #SuijokiAcademy

EdmondD

Freedom Force is game where you can rip a light post off the street and use it to bludgeon your enemies. See a car? Pick it up if you have the strength and throw it. It's what a super hero game should be with deep rpg options. Freedom Force, System Shock 2, and SWAT 4 are why Irrational Games was one of my favorite developers of all time.

Jawmuncher

It probably seems really dated now but back in the day it was mind blowing. At least it was for me.

No I remember it was. Still vaguely recall the PCgamer back in the day gushing about it.
Man I miss getting old PCgamers from my dad in the 90s and early 2000s.

Blizzard

Banned
After the initial 2.5 hour support deplay, I actually got another reply after 5 p.m. west coast time. Impressive!

Sadly, even though I just replied with the last 4 of my credit card, and my phone number, they asked for those same two pieces of information AGAIN, plus some other info. Like, why not ask for all of that originally?
After providing additional info, Steam support manually removed the old phone. I was then able to link the new phone and set up the Mobile Authenticator app. Now I can also trade etc. without the delay.

Overall, a 4-hour Steam support fix is much better than I expected.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm sure Vazra is ok with that.

Only if you are one of the guys tag teaming me.
clock-eyebrow.gif

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

exmachina64 said:
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified -- MB-02D988C415B1B324 - Taken by texhnolyze. 10 entrants total.

t1469672115z1.png

Sayara

Neo Member
It's still happening! Progress has just been... way slower than I thought it would be. Life caught up to most of the team, including my own 4 month long hiatus from even thinking about videogames earlier in the year. The game is fairly dependent on assets that weren't completed before things got busy, so we haven't had a lot to show or tease in the meantime... We just started getting our heads back together a few weeks ago, so hopefully it won't be too long before we have something new for everyone!

You can always check the twitter hashtag (and the original tag before the game title changed) for the 'important' updates. Sorry it's taking so long :c

Most of these tags are of my own irrelevent character development wew lads. Most of the problem stemmed from alot of my incompetence as well im afraid. Trying to draw an anime-y style is alot harder than I imagined, and i scrapped a huge portion of work as it were ! \o/
CnsVTS2XYAAJVS4.png:large

zkylon

zkylewd
you should make the game episodic

splitting it into chunks is probably gonna be a lot more manageable and also less stressful

Jawmuncher

Most of these tags are of my own irrelevent character development wew lads. Most of the problem stemmed from alot of my incompetence as well im afraid. Trying to draw an anime-y style is alot harder than I imagined, and i scrapped a huge portion of work as it were ! \o/
It's all good.....for now.

splitting it into chunks is probably gonna be a lot more manageable and also less stressful

At the point they're at. Would probably be a pain now to cut stuff off and make separate installers now. Since I believe the visual novel engine I forgot the name of is being used instead of Tyrano Maker for example.

Only if you are one of the guys tag teaming me.
clock-eyebrow.gif

emoticon_hush3euft.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
honestly making the game episodic would be still a pain because while you may save up a bit on assets you're still gonna have to do a shit ton of them that will get reused later on

how ren'py deals with patches is probably something someone already solved or can help with so i don't think that's a real problem

but you might save yourself some asset work if there are costume changes or new locations and characters later in the game while at the same time you get something out in the world which is a pretty positive and fulfilling experience and you also get feedback and shit

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I'm just as much to blame as anyone, don't throw yourself under the bus~

At the point they're at. Would probably be a pain now to cut stuff off and make separate installers now. Since I believe the visual novel engine I forgot the name of is being used instead of Tyrano Maker for example.

Splitting things up wouldn't be impossible, but I really am against putting things into peoples' hands until it's actually ready. Mostly because a lot has changed since the initial reveal, including internal style shifts we haven't made completely visible yet. I wouldn't want something that wasn't close-to-final being passed around, since the final product could still end up very different.

There's been consideration put towards doing a fandisc with discarded ideas, maybe to help push us through Greenlight, but that would still require stuff getting done that isn't close to being ready, yet! And that all depends on how I feel about devoting time to something that isn't the main body of work. There's 4 of us chipping away at it, and if one or two people aren't available to do anything, it's gonna hurt momentum regardless.

Purkake4

Banned
Nice.

What is it about?
Golden age superheroes and crazy environmental interaction, stuff like ripping up street lamps to hit enemies into buildings and making them collapse.

All wrapped up in a nice RPG that lets you tailor your powers and a surprisingly decent and genre-appropriate story.

One of Irrational's best games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Has anyone used the "scrap me" giveaway option? Does it just take unclaimed games and garbage dump them?

It reads like a never use option for some reason.

It doesn't garbage dump them, but it detaches them from your account so that it doesn't show up in your account summary and I know it's no problem to go ahead and regift it in some future mega modbot turd giveaway.

It doesn't garbage dump them, but it detaches them from your account so that it doesn't show up in your account summary and I know it's no problem to go ahead and regift it in some future mega modbot turd giveaway.

I will try and GD them at a later date then. Don't want to pawn that off on you.

Thanks for the reply.

So, quick Japanese sales:
Setsuna broke/hovering around 20k. Not too good, but not that bad considering the high price point.
EDF around 40k, pretty good without a single sale.
ZTD around 20k, not great, but still decent when you factor the full price, the fact that it outsold both 3DS and Vita in Japan and that is the only version in West producing significant revenue for Spike Chunsoft.

Golden age superheroes and crazy environmental interaction, stuff like ripping up street lamps to hit enemies into buildings and making them collapse.

All wrapped up in a nice RPG that lets you tailor your powers and a surprisingly decent and genre-appropriate story.

One of Irrational's best games.

Actually it was supposed to be the Silver Age (the mid-50s and the 60s,) but who's keeping count? :) Anyway, what I really liked about it is they tried to make their own superhero lore, and made it just cheesy enough to be believable for the Silver Age. Loved Man-Bot and Bullet. They were so good they were almost broken.

Most games these days, if they want to do superhero they just license existing ones. Freedom Force did a job at making a (barely-fleshed-out, just like early comics) world. If I had one complaint about the game, I'd say they needed more levels where all the heroes were available. The last ones (like Law & Order) seemed only available for the last handful of missions. Oh, and the optional heroes (like Man O' War and Sea Urchin) should have had more cutscene inserts so as to make them feel more like actual members of the team.

The only other made-up-superhero game I can think of is Superhero League of Hoboken, which was part graphical text adventure and part turn-based RPG. Not sure what it would take to get more in this genre.

Purkake4

Banned
Actually it was supposed to be the Silver Age (the mid-50s and the 60s,) but who's keeping count? :) Anyway, what I really liked about it is they tried to make their own superhero lore, and made it just cheesy enough to be believable for the Silver Age. Loved Man-Bot and Bullet. They were so good they were almost broken.

Most games these days, if they want to do superhero they just license existing ones. Freedom Force did a job at making a (barely-fleshed-out, just like early comics) world. If I had one complaint about the game, I'd say they needed more levels where all the heroes were available. The last ones (like Law & Order) seemed only available for the last handful of missions. Oh, and the optional heroes (like Man O' War and Sea Urchin) should have had more cutscene inserts so as to make them feel more like actual members of the team.

The only other made-up-superhero game I can think of is Superhero League of Hoboken, which was part graphical text adventure and part turn-based RPG. Not sure what it would take to get more in this genre.
Oh right it was silver age and then the sequel did the 90s grimdark "age" thing.

The heroes are great and the little intro things they get are really fun. Man-Bot for prez.

So I was stuffing about on Itch.io and groupees and found a game, At the Mountains of Madness, that owed me a key. It came out months ago and has a little advertised convoluted method of getting a key.

If you bought Build a Greenlight 27 (groupess) go to your Itch.io account select the game, hit download, you can try generating a steam key here but that didn't work for me, hit claim download key for Indie Game stand, go to IGS use the key and generate a steam key inside your IGS wallet.

By the looks of my friends list some of the usual suspects have it while others, like me, definitely missed it. It actually looks really good.

Cam anyone help with mobile here? I got Hitman Go off the humble bundle and when I try to install it, it seems to work for a while before showing "app not installed" with no indication as to why. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and the Play store doesn't say anything about it being incompatible with my device.

zkylon

zkylewd
had my first disaster in darkest dungeon

turns out swine prince is kind of punishing if you're stupid and don't think

lost my grave robber which was my second favorite hero and some extra mercenary dude i had with a rare item, so that sucks

most worryingly the game's been kind of acting up in this last two sessions, one time it just crashed when i hired a guy and second time it just froze for like 10 seconds like it was loading something big which is kind of strange since it was in really awkward situations like me dragging an item into my inventory

also i didn't know you couldn't continue to mindlessly grind ppl cos at lvl 3 they cannot explore lvl 1 dungeons anymore. that's kind of a pain cos it's making leveling up a b team kind of rough

yipes, this game is hard

Knurek

You will still be able to disable it using a local or group policy (so to not completely infuriate corporate customers or potentially break the law by violating HIPAA standards) which means it will still be trivially easy to disable, but you'll need to do it yourself without a GUI or rely on a third party app to disable it for you.

EDIT: Link to instructions, in case you're worried

But if you really don’t want Cortana, you can disable her using the Group Policy Editor (available in the professional versions of Windows 10, but not Home).

Yeah, about that...

//EDIT: Nevermind, did not scroll down for the registry tweak for Home users. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom