• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endruen

Yeah, Ultron is the one who started out as evil because he had daddy issues and an Oedipus complex (wanting to kill Ant-Man and bang Wasp.) It was only later that they decided to give him more of a Skynet personality (make the world a better place by eliminating humanity.)

WTF? Was Ultron human at the beginning?

Endruen

No he was a robot, but had sentience. Upon finding humanity not worth protecting he goes rogue and starts going about destroying them.

Yeah, I got that with the movie, but someguyinahat started talking about Oedipus complex and I thought they redid the character or something.

No, his father as in his creator (think Pinocchio).

Oh, that makes more sense.
It still doesn't about wanting to bang Wasp, though.

I bought a Destiny 2 Nvidia promo key a few days ago. It's effectively the first non-Steam PC game I've ever pre-ordered.

I have been out of the loop, for Nvidia keys you need a 1080 installed when you redeem the code right? at least for this promotion. I have a 1070.

KainXVIII

Fun is such a subjective qualitative term.
For me a Tomb Raider game should be about tomb raiding, the exploration and puzzle solving should be the main focus of the game and the combat should be a secondary or tertiary focus. That's why the original games were fun for me and why I'll defend Angel of Darkness till the day I die.

Ha-ha, same for me.
But still think that Guardian of Darkness is pretty meh game (maybe in co-op its better?)

For me a Tomb Raider game should be about tomb raiding, the exploration and puzzle solving should be the main focus of the game and the combat should be a secondary or tertiary focus.

Well, that's exactly how I feel about Tomb Raider. I loved the reboot, I was hooked until the end, but it's not a Tomb Raider game for me.

At this point, it feels the Lara Croft games (Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris) are the true Tomb Raider games.

Hmmm, maybe I should give these a try... are they worth my time? I'll wishlist them for the next Steam sale.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Played some Hyper Light Drifter last night, beat the first boss in the North. It was pretty hard. The game really straddles the line between cheap-hard and git-gud-hard.

The boss was okay, my biggest problem was using dashes and my gun, because I would confuse myself by panic-dashing but hitting the trigger (fire) instead.

It's a little confusing to (XBox controller) hit A to dash, X to slash, and trigger to fire because it seems like other games put those kinds of movements on the trigger rather than the face. I could see A being jump, but there's no jumping in the game.

Anyhow, that first boss in the North gave me Dark Dekt flashbacks to Ys.

The cheapness is more to do with some of the locked room fights. It feels like the game just dumps handfuls of enemies on you with different ranged attacks all the time. It can be difficult to win encounters the first time especially with enemies teleporting in or appearing from within blocks. I also don't get the checkpoint system. If I die, sometimes I'm back at the entrance of a room, other times I'm two or three rooms back.

I do like the gun integration, and I like the flying enemies which can't be slashed in the air, but can be shot. I like how slashing charges the gun too. I also like the free-aim on the gun where you just push toward where you want to shoot and pop off. It's very satisfying to trick-shot off four birds coming in from four directions in a half-second.

Oh, that dash challenge room...

So I got up to 35 dashes... then I switched to KBM and did 180. Then I said "fuck it" and programmed a macro and got to 800 ;)

I can't imagine doing it legit, holy crap. 100, maybe, but 800?

I'm not sure how I feel about the overworld leading into so many micro-dungeons, and micro-dungeons being gated off by collectables. It's Zelda-like, but Zelda's progression being more strictly item-based seems like a more rewarding design decision. I do appreciate that HLD's design allows it far more non-linearity. The skill upgrade system is also very non-linear, which has its plusses and minuses.

The biggest minus is that there's a lot of confusion on my part about what upgrades to get. At least the upgrade tokens are common and hidden away cleverly and subtly with environmental clues all over the place. There's a lot of encouragement to scrounge around in corners and you're rewarded frequently enough with a new token that you never get bored with pressing or hacking against walls. Graphical cues do a great job of suggesting which areas might be more or less likely to hold secrets, so it never feels like a pixel-hunt (I say that now, but how about when I'm trying to find the last couple of tokens).

The way the story is told, I mean, I get it, but I also understand the criticism. It's very vague and sparse. I do like encounters where NPCs mark out areas of interest on your map. I also like how open the map is. The map could use some markers or flags, however, or a more robust legend. Same for the character/item menu. Abilities and items are not explained at all, but figuring them out is conceivable -although I did wiki some stuff. An ability I purchased I would have no idea how it worked or if it was working at all unless I looked it up because I was doing it slightly wrong.

I appreciate that HLD relies on video-game grammar, and draws heavily from the Metroids and Zeldas of old, but those games had 40-page manuals and explained their systems, items, and menus in great detail.

The healing mechanic is another cheap/hard thing. You absolutely cannot just slam on heal and get away with it. Heals get interrupted and straigh-up lost. There are also virtually no i-frames, meaning if you get hit by a couple things at once you are d-e-a-d dead.

How I feel about this level of difficulty may change as things become more punishing. The difficulty curve starts pretty abrutply high, so I don't know if it levels off or ramps up. I don't know if abilities and items will smooth out the curve, but I suspect not, as it doesn't seem as if the game's progression is about one-shotting previously difficult enemies as much as it's about subtlety expanding the core circle of gameplay. I feel like this is one of those games people can do 0% upgrade runs on.

Overall, the game is straddling a line upon it can fall to compelling or repetitive. I'm not sure where it will land yet, but both seem distinctly possible. Right now it's giving a better impression than Transistor, Oath in Felghana, Superbrothers, Fez, or Abyss Odyssey (to name some random stylised indie-action-exploration games that I couldn't get more than 3-4 hours into) and I hope it draws me in.

Wok

(Swing)²Submarine is developing a board game.

Teaser video: https://youtu.be/zzVbeArB8bY

7CD8cOM.jpg

Ascheroth

Saw this on Slickdeals just a few minutes ago and got the $1 tier (as surprisingly enough, I didn't have any of the games from that tier):

https://tiltify.com/events/crystal-dynamics-25th-anniversary-campaign

Charity bundle from Crystal Dynamics. $1 tier came as a single Steam key.

$1 tier:
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain
Project Snowblind
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Pandemonium

$15 tier:
Tomb Raider (2013)
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Legend
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

$25 tier:
All the games (.....I know... I know)
Paypal says my payment couldn't be processed and I should try later... anyone have the same issue?

Played some Hyper Light Drifter last night, beat the first boss in the North. It was pretty hard. The game really straddles the line between cheap-hard and git-gud-hard.

I find it curious that so many people complain about how hard HLD is, because I had no problem finishing it. Maybe it's a bit like Dark Souls: once you figure out the timing and patterns of enemy attacks, the game gets a lot easier. That said, I suck at Dark Souls, so I have no idea how I managed to go through HLD so easily :p

Zeeman

Bundlestars has a new dollar bundle of Meridian4 games: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/dollar-rage-bundle

The Silent Age
Gunnheim
Hektor
Hektor - Official Soundtrack DLC
Schein
Soulless: Ray Of Hope
Avencast: Rise of the Mage
Frontline Tactics Complete Pack
Chains
Crash Time 2
Dark Matter
HOUND
Larva Mortus
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
Obulis
Orange Moon
Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches
Space Hack
Space Trader: Merchant Marine
Starion Tactics
Tank Universal
Vive le Roi
Wasteland Angel

kionedrik

Ha-ha, same for me.
But still think that Guardian of Darkness is pretty meh game (maybe in co-op its better?)

I think you're mixing two games. Guardian of Light is the isometric puzzle-platformer thingy that can be played in co-op, Angel of Darkness is a somewhat infamous old game that refreshed the TR formula and Lara as a character in a time where fans were growing tired of the same game format. It wasn't well received, and the game's technical shortcomings were part of the reason for it, but I truly loved it and am quite sad they never had the chance to develop those ideas further.

Hmmm, maybe I should give these a try... are they worth my time? I'll wishlist them for the next Steam sale.

I liked them. They serve their purpose of being decent time-wasters with a nice presentation, not-so-hard puzzles and platforming and an arcade-y feel. The first one is about 5h long and usually goes for 2.5€ on sales so it's no that big of a financial and time commitment even if you end up not liking it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I find it curious that so many people complain about how hard HLD is, because I had no problem finishing it. Maybe it's a bit like Dark Souls: once you figure out the timing and patterns of enemy attacks, the game gets a lot easier. That said, I suck at Dark Souls, so I have no idea how I managed to go through HLD so easily :p

I like hard games, but sometimes the visuals or enemy bounding boxes make it a little tricky, as well as no i-frames and a heal mechanic that leaves you vulnerable. I'm in the process of adjusting to its relatively unforgiving playstyle. It's hard only because that first boss in the North probably took me 10-20 tries over 30-45 minutes or whatever it was to beat. That's getting to Guacamelee and Hollow Knight level (both of which were challenging, but I enjoyed immensely). If that was a particularly hard boss in HLD, or if I just played that boss too early, okay, but if the difficulty goes up from there we're talking Ys type bordering-on-bullet-hell type bosses that I'm just not good at.

Bundlestars has a new dollar bundle of Meridian4 games: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/dollar-rage-bundle

The Silent Age
Gunnheim
Hektor
Hektor - Official Soundtrack DLC
Schein
Soulless: Ray Of Hope
Avencast: Rise of the Mage
Frontline Tactics Complete Pack
Chains
Crash Time 2
Dark Matter
HOUND
Larva Mortus
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
Obulis
Orange Moon
Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches
Space Hack
Space Trader: Merchant Marine
Starion Tactics
Tank Universal
Vive le Roi
Wasteland Angel

There are actually some decent-looking games in there (Schein, Soulless, Silent Age). I'd definitely buy if I didn't already own them; much better than the usual $1 shovelware bundles.

Ascheroth

I had no problem finishing it, but often it just wasn't the fun kind of hard.

Wok

Space Tyrant is out of beta, and into Early Access. It is a casual 4X. Not to my liking, but I like the devs.

I like hard games, but sometimes the visuals or enemy bounding boxes make it a little tricky, as well as no i-frames and a heal mechanic that leaves you vulnerable. I'm in the process of adjusting to its relatively unforgiving playstyle. It's hard only because that first boss in the North probably took me 10-20 tries over 30-45 minutes or whatever it was to beat. That's getting to Guacamelee and Hollow Knight level (both of which were challenging, but I enjoyed immensely). If that was a particularly hard boss in HLD, or if I just played that boss too early, okay, but if the difficulty goes up from there we're talking Ys type bordering-on-bullet-hell type bosses that I'm just not good at.

That boss was my first boss encounter as well, but it was only hard because I kept being overly aggressive. As soon as I understood I could dodge his attacks, wait for him to spawn his minions and attack him then, it became a ton easier. Easy to the point I still had healing salves at the end of the fight.

Weren't some sites reporting a couple of days ago that they had no plans for more TWAU in the foreseeable future?
That's great news though, loved the first one.

KainXVIII

I think you're mixing two games. Guardian of Light is the isometric puzzle-platformer thingy that can be played in co-op, Angel of Darkness is a somewhat infamous old game that refreshed the TR formula and Lara as a character in a time where fans were growing tired of the same game format. It wasn't well received, and the game's technical shortcomings were part of the reason for it, but I truly loved it and am quite sad they never had the chance to develop those ideas further.

Yeah, i just misspelled the title, beat both games.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Avencast: Rise of the Mage -- MB-A493832957939096 - Taken by Dec
Crash Time 2 -- MB-373DBC349DA7B3E2 - Taken by Purkake4
Hektor -- MB-94F34E4E278DE10D - Taken by famfrit
Schein -- MB-9808C36235C4CE04 - Taken by Loptous
Space Hack -- MB-1DFD57EC4F922AE7 - Taken by Zia
Under Zero -- MB-A76A0F19476D2323 - Taken by Mavromatis

NeoRaider

ModBot said:
Instructions for NeoRaider:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NeoRaider, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

State of Anarchy -- MB-1B64DE5E180D2482

t1500484982z1.png

Kiru

Saw this on Slickdeals just a few minutes ago and got the $1 tier (as surprisingly enough, I didn't have any of the games from that tier):

https://tiltify.com/events/crystal-dynamics-25th-anniversary-campaign

Charity bundle from Crystal Dynamics. $1 tier came as a single Steam key.

$1 tier:
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain
Project Snowblind
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Pandemonium

$15 tier:
Tomb Raider (2013)
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Legend
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

$25 tier:
All the games (.....I know... I know)
Came home from work, wanted to buy this now, but I can't use PayPal. I used PayPal on tiltify in the past though, so wtf ?

EDIT: All good, it worked now for me!

Hektor

Childrian of Zodiarcs seems to be a nice game, but it is unbelievably slow. A single enemy movement with a simple attack takes around 15 seconds (This taking 5 seconds in FFT for example)

That you're making a game turn based doesn't mean you can ignore pacing.

The first proper mission in this game could take you a bit over two minutes to beat with skippable combat animations, but this way it takes nearly ten ugh.

And going by what users say in the steamforums, the devs have apparently ruled out a fast forward / Skippable Animation toggle because they're unable to.

Unfortunate.

Corpekata

Banned
How can I move a single game from my HDD to my new SSD? Do I just uninstall and install?

If you have good internet, sure.

If not, create a Steam Library folder on the SSD (either manually or by installing some small game there and creating it via Steam). Copy from old folder, paste into new, "uninstall" and then "install" it to the SSD folder, where it will discover the files.

Or you can use the application Steammover.

Wok

Childrian of Zodiarcs seems to be a nice game, but it is unbelievably slow. A single enemy movement with a simple attack takes around 15 seconds (This taking 5 seconds in FFT for example)

That you're making a game turn based doesn't mean you can ignore pacing.

The first proper mission in this game could take you a bit over two minutes to beat with skippable combat animations, but this way it takes nearly ten ugh.

And going by what users say in the steamforums, the devs have apparently ruled out a fast forward / Skippable Animation toggle because they're unable to.

Unfortunate.

I agree that a toggle to skip animations should always be present.

However:
  • I find the pacing of fights spot-on and it does not feel "too slow" to me, I can really feel that the game was properly tested,
  • until Armello implements a proper "fast forward" setting (in the setting menu, instead of a button to press at each turn), I'm not going to blame a small studio for not having it day one.
So far, this game succeeds at keeping my interest in a gameplay revolving around turn-based fights. I usually get bored to death by these games (the last one I played was Shadowrun HongKong).

Pachimari

If you have good internet, sure.

If not, create a Steam Library folder on the SSD (either manually or by installing some small game there and creating it via Steam). Copy from old folder, paste into new, "uninstall" and then "install" it to the SSD folder, where it will discover the files.

Or you can use the application Steammover.

So I won't lose my save games if I uninstall and install?
I might as well just do it this way then.

Corpekata

Banned
So I won't lose my save games if I uninstall and install?
I might as well just do it this way then.

95 percent of games have their save data in the apps or my documents folders which aren't typically touched by steam. The only thing you should have to worry about is if it's a game you've modded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom