• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

I think the spread of scale and focus is quite nice as well. The Witcher III is undoubtably be the no expense spared huge epic game hopefully further refining on CDPRs past titles with the promise of a vast open and connected world to explore. And to counter this the Kickstarter games seem more to play to the long time genre fans and although have a smaller focus seem to be ticking all the right boxes. Though from what Durante and others have been saying about Original Sin is that's going above and beyond as well.

I'm more stoked for Pillars of Eternity than anything I've seen at this E3 so far and as well as for years. The moment I heard the combination of Obsidian, Infinity Engine style game with Avellone, Sawyer, Cain et all on board I couldn't back it fast enough.

Agreed. We've got a great range of games now, from the action RPG (Witcher 3) to the infinity engine style games that I've been wanting ever since I finished Icewind Dale 2 over a decade ago.

Hopefully we'll see more genres soon too, I'd love to see Obsidian do another Sci Fi RPG, or a spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol.

derExperte

Question. Say that I buy russian version game and activates it, does any restrictions that will be place later affect the game?

Depends. If the Russian version has its own sub they can absolutely restrict it later via an IP lock. If not, like Witcher 3 right now, you're safe.

milena87

Well there's so much buzz about it the thread on here is 2 and a half pages long! Not counting that Grim Fandango Super HD Remix Edition and No Man's Sky are 10+ already. Even that dull looking Rainbow Six game is getting more discussion.

Well, what's there to discuss? They "showed" the characters walking/running around and parts of a battle with a dragon. We knew that the characters could use their legs and we battled dragons before. Even the companions were all confirmed before.

We could discuss about that hideous UI, though...

It's just that after The Witcher 3's new triler and gameplay videos, is kinda difficult to be excited about DAI. Bioware needs to talk and show a lot more.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
GTAV's announcement trailer looks noticeably better than what came later, or so I've read.

Yeah, this is what I meant. Seems unfair to compare the PC/PS4/XB1 trailer to PS3/360 gameplay rather than trailer to trailer or gameplay to gameplay. Not that I'm suggesting that the next-gen version won't look much better though.

derExperte

I'll pray for that. I was able to run Watch_dogs with everything on Max, except textures wich were on High, so I'm still hopeful at least.

With a 7750 almost everything on Ultra? You're not too demanding when it comes to framerates, aren't you? :O I doubt you'll have problems with V then.

Dr Dogg

Well, what's there to discuss? They "showed" the characters walking/running around and parts of a battle with a dragon. We knew that the characters could use their legs and we battled dragons before. Even the companions were all confirmed before.

We could discuss about that hideous UI, though...

It's just that after The Witcher 3's new triler and gameplay videos, is kinda difficult to be excited about DAI. Bioware needs to talk and show a lot more.

Well that's kind of my point (granted wrapped up in a big dose of snarky sarcasm). People are just like "yep that's Dragon Age alright" and moving on. Those that want it are sold and asides from a few on the fence others are more stoked for other things.

Is it me or are some people suffering from sort of AAA game Stockholm Syndrome?

Same shit different year. It's not like this risk adverse industry has been through a sea of change the best part of a decade. Yeah independent games are getting more coverage at big events but what works well for big titles isn't going to change anytime soon. I'm ok with that as I like what the Ubifactory churns out year after year. When they stop selling it might be a different story. Only thing I want a better look at is Shadows of Mordor. TGS looks to me to have more things I'd be interested in or at least fleshed out more (like to see in game MGS V if it's that far along yet).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Depends. If the Russian version has its own sub they can absolutely restrict it later via an IP lock. If not, like Witcher 3 right now, you're safe.

You only need to worry about that if the sub isn't giftable and traders are using the shopping cart trick to buy spares. Squeenix retroactively region-locked Thi4f months after it was went up for pre-purchase, but because those outside of Eastern Europe shouldn't have had the sub in the first place the restriction was left intact -- this is in contrast to, say, Black Flag, which was completely region-free initially, thus Ubi had no choice but to remove the OARIC flag on the original pre-order subs and make new, region-locked ones for use on the store (granted, though, it took some arm-twisting).

Uzzy

Same shit different year. It's not like this risk adverse industry has been through a sea of change the best part of a decade. Yeah independent games are getting more coverage at big events but what works well for big titles isn't going to change anytime soon. I'm ok with that as I like what the Ubifactory churns out year after year.

I think that Ubisoft have got their process sorted. They have their big AAA titles that follow a specific formula and sell consistently high numbers, and use some of the profit from those games to fund artsy, smaller titles. As long as that keeps working, we're getting the best of both worlds from Ubi.

Just need Uplay to work now and I'll be spending a lot of money on Ubi products.

Knurek

JaseC, speaking of DRM Stockholm Syndrome - another case for your countless spats with uninformed GOG fans - some of games sold on GOG aren't actually DRM free.

At least one game from my collection requires a CD-Key while installing (Heroes of Might & Magic V + expansions), I'm sure there are more like this as well.

JaseC

JaseC, speaking of DRM Stockholm Syndrome - another case for your countless spats with uninformed GOG fans - some of games sold on GOG aren't actually DRM free.

At least one game from my collection requires a CD-Key while installing (Heroes of Might & Magic V + expansions), I'm sure there are more like this as well.

Interesting. Having a key system in place might mean optional Steam keys for GOG purchases at some point in the future.

Tizoc

Freedom Planet is releasing on June 30th, I'll be working on the OT. Need to remember to replay the demo again though =_=;

E3 so far has been quite a joke. It's hilarious that the Grim Fandango remake interests me more than 90% of the games shown so far. And there's only Nintendo left. Hoping for some nice show floor stuff.

Tizoc

E3 so far has been quite a joke. It's hilarious that the Grim Fandango remake interests me more than 90% of the games shown so far. And there's only Nintendo left. Hoping for some nice show floor stuff.

GAF is gonna be down either way. Regarldess of whether Ridley gets confirmed in Super Smash Bros or not.

Jawmuncher

Im still wondering where capcom is. This has been their weakest year in awhile and if they dont show anything by thursday thats horrible.
Since I doubt theyre planning anything huge for TGS if they skip E3.

You only need to worry about that if the sub isn't giftable and traders are using the shopping cart trick to buy spares. Squeenix retroactively region-locked Thi4f months after it was went up for pre-purchase, but because those outside of Eastern Europe shouldn't have had the sub in the first place the restriction was left intact -- this is in contrast to, say, Black Flag, which was completely region-free initially, thus Ubi had no choice but to remove the OARIC flag on the original pre-order subs and make new, region-locked ones for use on the store (granted, though, it took some arm-twisting).

JaseC if I might ask, how will you be getting your copy of The Witcher 3? Being a fellow Aussie your knowledge has often steered me in the right direction (or steered me clear of things like common IP restricted gifts). I am of course assuming you'll be getting it, correct me there if I'm wrong.

Pachimari

I think this E3 is pretty average. I'm definitely in for Rainbow Six: Siege, Assassin's Creed: Unity, FIFA 15, Grand Theft Auto V (PC), Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Now I'm just very curious to see, if they'll announce Pacman in Super Smash Bros tonight.

I think Microsoft and Ubisoft have done very well. EA haven't been good besides giving a Hardline beta away, and Sony didn't have any huge announcements other than Bloodborne.

The biggest downer this year is, that there haven't been any megatons yet.

But if Nintendo announces Animal Crossing for Wii U, I will cry with joy.

JaseC

JaseC if I might ask, how will you be getting your copy of The Witcher 3? Being a fellow Aussie your knowledge has often steered me in the right direction (or steered me clear of things like common IP restricted gifts). I am of course assuming you'll be getting it, correct me there if I'm wrong.

I bought it a few days ago from a trader for $24.70, effectively (13 keys @ $1.90 each). $1.90 is a bit high as far as key prices go, but the limited "rep" I have is buried away on my profile and my TF2 playtime is virtually non-existent, plus it can be a pain in the arse to find someone who's online on Steam and actually at their PC.

He gets everything..
except wheelman

One day!

Dr Dogg

I think that Ubisoft have got their process sorted. They have their big AAA titles that follow a specific formula and sell consistently high numbers, and use some of the profit from those games to fund artsy, smaller titles. As long as that keeps working, we're getting the best of both worlds from Ubi.

Just need Uplay to work now and I'll be spending a lot of money on Ubi products.

They cover a lot of ground where other publishers are tightening their product range. They have their standard AAA collectathons like AC, Far Cry and now Watch_Dogs. They're doing some MP and community focused games like The Division, The Club and the new Rainbow Six. They also have family friendly titles like Just Dance and that Step Up 'thing'. Then there are the smaller focused games like Might & Magic, Trails and Rayman. Plus there are the few experimental titles like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts.

Even with these there's still Splinter Cell (Jade Raymond is still there so the IP must still be alive) Beyond Good & Evil (Rayman Legends just wrapped last year so we might hear something next year maybe) and Prince of Persia (sadly no idea what's going on there) in their back catalogue. And I'm sure a fair few I've missed.

SMT IV EU release date announced. Believe!

Im still wondering where capcom is. This has been their weakest year in awhile and if they dont show anything by thursday thats horrible.

I think that if Capcom didn't show up at either Sony's or MS' conference, they probably won't have anything big to show. But maybe that's just me thinking they Resident Evil has more clout than it does. Pretty disappointed in them if they have nothing new to show.

SMT IV EU release date announced. Believe!

Don't play with my feelings.

Grief.exe

I'm still wondering where capcom is. This has been their weakest year in awhile and if they dont show anything by thursday thats horrible.

Doubling down on mobile development despite sustaining significant losses in that sector. I don't want to say Capcom is in trouble, but they really are.

For whatever reason, most of the Japanese companies are struggling to adapt in a changing market.

I bought it a few days ago from a trader for $24.70, effectively (13 keys @ $1.90 each). $1.90 is a bit high as far as key prices go, but the limited "rep" I have is buried away on my profile and my TF2 playtime is virtually non-existent, plus it can be a pain in the arse to find someone who's online on Steam and actually at their PC.

Whenever I manage to PM the ruskies, they always seem to be online.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Ugh, I know I shouldn't, but I might buy GTAV... Well not Day-1 but Month-1. Gonna wait and see how it runs on my pc.

Hell, I guess I could break the "never pay more than 20$ for a computer game" rule for a series that gets a quality sequel every 5/6 years instead of yearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom