• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

New Groupees Bundle

Sometimes Tuesday bundle
$1 Tier
Volt
Science Girl
Redneck Racers

$2 Tier
Type:Rider
Inquisitor
The Machine Stops 1-3 (Not steam)

Salsa

this EA support person is useless and he appears as "typing a message" for 2 seconds and then a huge paragraph shows up

ctrl+c ctrl+v for days

awesome

Vuze

Just watched the GTAV Trailer in 1080p on Rockstars website and it looked pretty awful... there's to hope it will look better on PC since the footage was captured on PS4 if they're telling the truth but still...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
GTA5 finally announced huh? one more to add to the "yeah my rig cant play this, at least not maxed" pile, like most games from E3 (dat Batman)

edit: groupees bonuses are awarded to the $1 tier correct, not the BTA?

New Groupees Bundle

Sometimes Tuesday bundle
$1 Tier
Volt
Science Girl
Redneck Racers

$2 Tier
Type:Rider
Inquisitor
The Machine Stops 1-3 (Not steam)

what, I'm still waiting for Dreamfall to appear in my bemine bundle. Why did it become so popular for one bundle site to publish so many bundles at a time? Can we please go back to the simple world of one site one bundle and maybe raise the quality of the games please and thank you.

Pachimari

I really don't think we'll see MGS V on PC. Mind you, I haven't been a PC gamer until now, but they skipped MGS3, MGS4, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes along with the HD versions, but of course there's a lot of potential customers on Steam - I still don't see it though.

I also think last nights Sony conference sealed it, that there's nothing to get on PlayStation Vita anymore. I might really sell it or give it away now.

Also, I still haven't bought the X-COM collection on GMG, and I own none of those games. =/

HB extras - first come, first serve:

Warframe Booster Pack - 3D28-C689-AB8A-E3FD
Landmark 1-Week Beta Key - CFVC-XK92-3EKP-ARHN-P4ZF
SMITE Almighty Zeus - TY18FE5EF2A97D45C
One Month of Twitch Turbo - Z86Q3HPKXX5RTFQZ

Salsa

well dude said he could do nothing but the game magically appeared in my library

ixGuWBzVUQAUy.PNG

guess i'll report back on how this is

Pachimari

Don't remember if I followed up on this but I got a reply from Groupees and their checking into, why I haven't received my Be Mine 13 bundle games.

I really need that The Longest Journey.

I really don't think we'll see MGS V on PC. Mind you, I haven't been a PC gamer until now, but they skipped MGS3, MGS4, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes along with the HD versions, but of course there's a lot of potential customers on Steam - I still don't see it though.

I also think last nights Sony conference sealed it, that there's nothing to get on PlayStation Vita anymore. I might really sell it or give it away now.

Also, I still haven't bought the X-COM collection on GMG, and I own none of those games. =/
XCOM deal ends soon!

I think Metal Gear Rising sold pretty well on Steam. I know I bought it day one.

Dr Dogg

Well missed all the early morning panic from Sony's event but I guess if I had watched it live I would have been asleep anyway. Started off in good spirits and continuing the good will of the last year or so with Yosp and Adam Boyes having some genuine energy before descending into what should be reservered for a flipping AGM and not a media event.

Still Far Cry 4 looks more of the same of what 3 was but only bigger, prettier and co-op in the campaign? Arkham Knight looks alrightish but it's kind of early days but No Man's Sky even at this stage looks incredible (wonder how much variation there really will be before you'd notice any repitition?). See Stumpodamus was on the money with GTA V and the seemingly usual "console exclusive" moniker was bandied about causing confusion again.

Asides from all the LCD stuff (yes I did just use an acronym for lowest common denominator) that I'm fond of the Grim Fandango news probably has been the only new and exciting thing for me (despite the horrible, subtle way the platform availability was communicated).

Salsa

Arkham Knight's whole COMBAT BATMOBILE part where it just becomes a tank shooting at things killed my hype tenfold

why would you put that there jesus it looked terrible

everything else was awesome

it's really fucking embarrasing how the Origin client is way better than Steam's

bothers me every time
The fact that you can use gifs as cover images for your games in grid mode on Origin is amazing.

And it resizes all gifs automatically so it's not like steam where you need to make sure it's X by Ypx.
The majority of my games have cat gifs as their image.
No idea which game is what cat but it's cute to look at.

Enco

it's really fucking embarrasing how the Origin client is way better than Steam's

bothers me every time
In what way?

I agree that the Steam client needs a lot of work.

This is why Valve pisses me off. They haven't released a decent update for as long as I can remember. Their client is the same shit that it has been forever.

They're far too focused on microtransactions than giving users a good experience.

Fuck off with hats and cards and update you're shitty client.

Aaron

Yes. It not loading my game library when the Origin servers are under heavy load is my favourite feature. I wish Valve would copy that.
My favorite is how it fails halfway through updating, and refuses to launch. And when I do a clean install, and tell it explicitly not to update, it updates anyway, and fails again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam is updated almost on a daily basis. Another overhaul is long overdue but it's not as though Valve is just ignoring the client. I still think we'll see something circa the release of SteamOS/the first Steam Machines.

Salsa

In what way?

I agree that the Steam client needs a lot of work.

This is why Valve pisses me off. They haven't released a decent update for as long as I can remember. Their client is the same shit that it has been forever.

They're far too focused on microtransactions than giving users a good experience.

Fuck off with hats and cards and update you're shitty client.

everything is instant. I can even change the size of the game icons from giant to minuscule and it goes smooth as silk

it just feels a heck of a lot faster and lighter

the steam client, at this point with almost a thousand games it just feels like this heavy slow piece of shit I have to go through to launch games. not to mention when you first launch it

who even uses the community functionalities in anything other than their browser

Arkham Knight's whole COMBAT BATMOBILE part where it just becomes a tank shooting at things killed my hype tenfold

why would you put that there jesus it looked terrible

everything else was awesome

I think I would be okay with it if the movement didn't look so weightless. There was almost no physics to the car/tank at all from what I could tell.

Salsa

I'd even be happy with a steam update that let me store my game icons locally, so I can browse through grid view without the fucking images having to load all over again after minutes because they disappear from the cache (or some other late 90s internet excuse) and make the whole client even slower while at it

everything that is a custom image loads instantly, but im not putting a custom image in 900+ games one by one

it honestly feels archaic and if it wasnt for skin support it would even look embarrasing

derExperte

the steam client, at this point with almost a thousand games it just feels like this heavy slow piece of shit I have to go through to launch games. not to mention when you first launch it

Origin only works as long as not much is happening. It's not fast and light, for example open the page with the current big sale and try to scroll. Steam may take longer for a few things but Origin would probably die if it had to do all that.

Hell, you can't even show your games library as a simple list or am I missing something?

Also Steam doesn't take noticeably longer to start and I didn't even put the client on an SSD, both stay under 5 seconds.

Helmholtz

bothers me every time
I really wish they'd overhaul Steam's UI again. It's been a long time since the last major revision, and I was never that thrilled about it to begin with. It seems kind of amateur hour considering the user base and funding behind the program.

Enco

everything is instant. I can even change the size of the game icons from giant to minuscule and it goes smooth as silk

who even uses the community functionalities in anything other than their browser
Ever tried loading a screenshot? Everything is slow but screenshots might as well not exist.

If you're lucky it'll take close to a minute to load. Otherwise it wont (I didn't time it).

http://i.imgur.com/7JbDAZJ.png[/IMG ][/QUOTE]
You know it's true bro

Yea a complete overhaul is really needed. Sadly we aren't going to get that for years to come. 100% we're stuck with what we have indefinitely. Valve is garbage at updating things and interacting with users. That's their 'amazing' no boss strategy paying off... The community will continue to love them forever though so it's all ok in their eyes.

Enco

Steam is updated almost on a daily basis. Another overhaul is long overdue but it's not as though Valve is just ignoring the client. I still think we'll see something circa the release of SteamOS/the first Steam Machines.
http://www.steampowered.com/platform/update_history/index.php

Don't know if that's what you're referencing but it seems like we only get 2-3 updates a month at most (with some months that have no updates).

99% of updates fix small stupid issues and the remaining 1% adds insignificant features.

99% of updates fix small stupid issues and the remaining 1% adds insignificant features.

A year or two ago this would be pretty accurate, but lately Valve have been pretty active on improving the client and Big Picture Mode, streaming and family sharing alone would contradict a lot of your claims.

A lot of work to do of course and they could do much better. But until somebody (anybody?) has a 1000+ game Origin library it probably isn't the best comparison.

Enco

Sorry, I should have specified that I was referring to the beta client.
Ah ok. That's a bit better but it's still just a load of small fixes and only 1-2 per update. Nothing that will really help or affect users much.

A year or two ago this would be pretty accurate, but lately Valve have been pretty active on improving the client and Big Picture Mode, streaming and family sharing alone would contradict a lot of your claims.

A lot of work to do of course and they could do much better. But until somebody (anybody?) has a 1000+ game Origin library it probably isn't the best comparison.
They haven't improved the client substantially in years.

Big Picture, family sharing and streaming are all nice but I honestly don't see a big majority of users utilising the features. It's nice to have but they need to focus on the main client. The client that every user will see and interact with on an almost daily basis.

Why can't they dedicate some time and effort to build on and greatly improve their main base?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd be surprised if Origin ever has 1,000 games to choose from. It currently doesn't even have 300 -- the total as reported by the store includes not only the various editions of a given game but also DLC, so it's rather inflated (the total number of base games is about half that, but again this includes the various editions).

This has been a pretty lackluster E3 for me so far. Too much CG and prototyping and not enough gameplay, which means that most of the games shown are probably late 2015 or early 2016. I was also hoping Microsoft would throw the PC crowd a bone, but there's always GamesCom, I guess.

Can't wait for The Witcher 3, though.

Arthea

on gmg MS discounts and they had to tempt me with -40% AoM, haven't they?
State of decay is -75% too, I remember someone had it on their summer sale wishlist.

edited: today:
EA sale - Origin
Valve sale
MS sale

Dr Dogg

I'd be surprised if Origin ever has 1,000 games to choose from. It currently doesn't even have 300 -- the total as reported by the store includes not only the various editions of a given game but also DLC, so it's rather inflated (the total number of base games is about half that, but again this includes the various editions).

I think it's got to be less than 100. I usually check out the sale page once a week or to see if the ME3 DLC has gone down to a price I can pay with earth funds and the amount of non game items I have to parse through is a nightmare (The Sims 3 stuff has to be about a third of the store). Their sorting function isn't very good either.

Be interesting so see how well Inquisition sells on Origin as most of their own PC bound IPs with some weight aren't out for a while yet. That auto close feature might come in handy ;)

Besides FC4 and Division (if they arent bullshot-trailers/gameplay), somehow I am not quite impressed by the graphical standards of the next gen consoles.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's got to be less than 100. I usually check out the sale page once a week or to see if the ME3 DLC has gone down to a price I can pay with earth funds and the amount of non game items I have to parse through is a nightmare (The Sims 3 stuff has to be about a third of the store). Their sorting function isn't very good either.

Be interesting so see how well Inquisition sells on Origin as most of their own PC bound IPs with some weight aren't out for a while yet. That auto close feature might come in handy ;)

It will sell well, but not as well considering that Steam is the major client for digital PC games.

Personally, I appreciate that Bioware is actually trying to make a decent sequel. But considering the past games and origin exclusivity, I will probably just pick up the Witcher 3; and wait for impressions of DA3.

Arthea

Besides FC4 and Division (if they arent bullshot-trailers/gameplay), somehow I am not quite impressed by the graphical standards of the next gen consoles.

I think at this point it is close to impossible to impress people with graphics. At least any improvements seem insignificant and small. I wonder will we have huge jump in graphics quality ever again, even.

Have you seen the UC4 thread?

well... that I never understood. I mean being impressed with Unch graphics.
It might be my problem, I agree!

Probably because these HD systems have software that struggle with hitting 1080p and 60 fps...which were kind of the goalposts of the previous "HD generation".

Not much of notice on GMG. Picked up State of Decay and the DLC - I bought several of the Valve packs for cheaper during a previous sale, and there isn't much in the Microsoft section that interests me.

Still, I've picked up a lot of games this sale that I wanted. I just might crack 600 games by the end of the week at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom