• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I got around playing Chaos Theory, a few months after I beat Splinter Cell. Finished the first mission, enjoying it so far, this is supposed to be the best one, right?

And, Double Agent, yay or nay? I've heard it's like the beginning of the fall for the franchise? But since I have Conviction (got it for free, thankfully) and I'm going to play it, might as well buy this during the sales with Blacklist and play the whole series (save for Pandora Tomorrow, sadly).
Nay.
I found the level design to be way worse the Chaos Theory, and just in general lacking

Spoiler for plot event in Double Agent -
AND ARGH, THEY KILLED LAMBERT, GODDAMNIT, I loved Lambert! Aside from Sam he was my favourite character!

Sam feels more agile than ever

I love how agile is, but I find it funny that Sam becomes the most agile he's ever been when he's like in his 50s or something.

rtcn63

STEAM I July 2014 - Thousands of Zombies at 60 FPS would be pretty wild and crazy.

tumblr_mjfhib2QmX1rd10xoo1_500.gif

maneil99

So they deliberately hid all the cool shaders and effects from the PC version so that the console releases didn't look so bad? Seems likely.

Or because it wasn't finished and there was no point putting the man power to make it work well for a single platform. The game already runs like shit, once he gets the shaders to e3 level and volumetric fog the game is going to run even worse.

Tizoc

STEAM I July 2014 - We live in a post-Apocalyptic Summer Sale world
STEAM I July 2014 - We live in a post-Summer Sale world

Garcia

Or because it wasn't finished and there was no point putting the man power to make it work well for a single platform. The game already runs like shit, once he gets the shaders to e3 level and volumetric fog the game is going to run even worse.

Very sad but true. Money speaks during development and it was (unfortunately) clear that priority would go to the bigger market (consoles).

I just saw that gallery with the new effects. Gorgeous looking game.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Guys, last time I checked the topic we were on page 117... I can't keep up, pls stahp

apparently Shadow of Mordor is legit as fuck

I never looked at it cause lol of the rings
dafaq is this man, you used to be cool :/

I have no idea what this means.
wat :(

can i plz b referee

also salsa coming to bs as next month or smthing and taking me partying yeaa
You are the local, shouldn't it be the other way around?

It's a tough journey but I'm more than worth the challenge, if I don't say so myself.
Interesting, I have a friend living in Ozzieland, would you be up for visits if I decide to brave through that land where Cthulu wouldn't look out of place?

I thought it had some good moments, but at the midway point I just wanted to get it over with.

Really disliked how
The only thing that could have stopped Superman was kryptonite Superman. But from what I've been told from comic book enthusiasts Superman is pretty much invincible.
Haven't played the story mode yet, but in general Superman is vulnerable to kryptonite and magic, but he's actually as strong and resistant as the plot needs him to be anyway.

is Salsa our only resident Urugua...guaian? guayan? Only gaffer from Uruguay? >_>
I guess having a big-ass flag on the avatar is not enough :p

I think there's another one.
The fact that you are part of GundamGAF makes this worse :((

<3 PandaSashaRomulan

If I ever become a mod, I'm going to make this my tag and link it to the gif of Saoirse shrugging.
That'd be hilarious.
You could make every single char a link to a different gif for easy response purposes or something.

:drool:
Although to be honest, Ii just want a proper OLED monitor first.

Is it really so hard to believe? Until gaf made such a big issue of it, I was sure that most people don't see difference. It's like complaining that somebody can't hear difference between two semitones, or can't distinguish more than 30 or so shades of green. C'mon man, people are different, you won't gonna argue with that, will you?
fgs, some people are blind and not because they are dumb. Is it so hard to comprehend?
I'm curious.
Can you tell the difference? What is your vision rated?

I can tell easily and mine's 20/15
I have absolute garbage vision and can tell the difference between frame rates pretty easily.
Also, I prefer fluidity over resolution/AA/pretty IQ any day of the week.

It's all Steamgaf's fault, before joining or lurking I had a lot of self control when a Steam sale was around. For example, in the Autumn sale I only bought Tropico 4, Rogue Legacy and Age of Empires II HD. Since I joined this damned community I became a reckless Steam hoarder
Eh, you would have ended up buying a ton of shit anyway, just that by coming here you do it by spending less and the thrill of the deals... or something.
that's how I rationalize it and I'm sticking with it dammit

wow, cognition is considered hot because the base price is 29.99 on steam. that's embarrassing. i'll have to move up the threshold by a buck or two to avoid that happening again.
Maybe the icon should be for games with high prices and good reviews?
Or maybe it can be curated like the Poop one.

So as of now of metro LL went on sale would there be any reason to hold off and wait for redux instead? My understanding is that LL isn't really getting anything new outside of 2033 mode, right?
I got LL just because there might be a chance for regular to get removed in favour of Redux :p

rtcn63

I'd wait for redux just to see if it runs significantly better than the originals. Depending on your rig, they can be downright horrible with frequent framerate drops (to like single digits or something), overheating the GPU, etc.

Thief's plot line is just so facepalm worthy and it's made worse by the fact they constantly jam it in your face. The master thief bumbles into the Thief-Taker General yet again and then runs through an exploding Micheal Bay bridge. Okay.

Garret can be as agile as a spider monkey, but only when they script/design to allow it. I've just cleared the sixth mission and ran into the second set of pipes you scale in third person. I think the first set of pipes was in the first mission. I would have less issues with the platforming/traversal being handled through context sensitive actions if the environment was more liberally tagged for interactivity. There's simply too many instances where I'm defeated by a chest or head high ledge that I should be able to clamber over but I can't because it wasn't tagged as being interactive. It makes traversal much more stilted and limited than it should be.

Cross posting from that Watch_Doge thread

Really looks like the E3 stuff was...just for E3.

I was willing to give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt. Watch_Dogs was probably in development for years, probably two to three years before they had dev kits, that they were probably targeting amorphous hardware specs and maybe got the final dev kits and specs shortly before or after E3 2012 buuuuut that makes it look like they were simply disingenuous.

Ezalc

The fact that you are part of GundamGAF makes this worse :((

I'll admit that I've confused you for Salsa based solely on the fact that you have that little hardhat in your avatar. D:

EDIT: Bard's Tale for sale on GOG, always wanted to play this. Should I wait for the steam sale instead GAF?

nexen

Thief's plot line is just so facepalm worthy and it's made worse by the fact they constantly jam it in your face. The master thief bumbles into the Thief-Taker General yet again and then runs through an exploding Micheal Bay bridge. Okay.

Garret can be as agile as a spider monkey, but only when they script/design to allow it. I've just cleared the sixth mission and ran into the second set of pipes you scale in third person. I think the first set of pipes was in the first mission. I would have less issues with the platforming/traversal being handled through context sensitive actions if the environment was more liberally tagged for interactivity. There's simply too many instances where I'm defeated by a chest or head high ledge that I should be able to clamber over but I can't because it wasn't tagged as being interactive. It makes traversal much more stilted and limited than it should be.
That game is so bad it made me physically ill.
The more I played it the more I felt that the people in charge of it hadn't played many games at all, let alone Thief games. So many terrible decisions.

Myshkin

EDIT: Bard's Tale for sale on GOG, always wanted to play this. Should I wait for the steam sale instead GAF?

My copy of Bard's Tale on Steam has problems running. I don't have it on GOG, but I'd trust GOG to do a better job of getting these old games running.

Lomax

wow, cognition is considered hot because the base price is 29.99 on steam. that's embarrassing. i'll have to move up the threshold by a buck or two to avoid that happening again.

Would it be possible to base the hot level on the number of times a game has been given away via modbot? That seems like it would be a much more accurate depiction of desirability.

HoosTrax

Would it be possible to base the hot level on the number of times a game has been given away via modbot? That seems like it would be a much more accurate depiction of desirability.
That's an accurate depiction on how many bundles it's been in. It would be kind of inversely proportional to desirability :p.

kevin1025

Banned
Since I just closed the book on a game a week before the Steam sale, I'm trying to decide on another game I can play between now and the end of the Steam sale. Something I can beat in maybe 20 hours or less that's already in my library.

Here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983276232/games?tab=all Please pay attention to how many hours I've already spent on certain games.

I nominate Alan Wake or FEZ. Both very different games, but excellent in their own ways.

HoosTrax

Since I just closed the book on a game a week before the Steam sale, I'm trying to decide on another game I can play between now and the end of the Steam sale. Something I can beat in maybe 20 hours or less that's already in my library.

Here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983276232/games?tab=all Please pay attention to how many hours I've already spent on certain games.
Dust: An Elysian Tail. In fact you can 100% it in roughly 20 hours.

Stacking and Trine 1 & 2 are a few others that I would consider playing through.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I hear that Psychonauts is a pretty good game that takes under 20 hours to beat.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It's basically not easy to do anything like that because ModBot doesn't assume a strict format, so names are entered in all sorts of mishmashes of ways, and I am not being paid to manually categorize Batman Origins as Batman Arkham Origins as Arkham Origins as Buttman Arkham Buttrigins loll hahaha. I agree that in some ideal world that would be a good idea though.

Just Cause Collection for the regular price of, say, a classic game on GOG? Should I bite for the single-player component or are these games best online? Heard great things about Just Cause and it's sequel.

gorfyako

Banned
Just Cause Collection for the regular price of, say, a classic game on GOG? Should I bite for the single-player component or are these games best online? Heard great things about Just Cause and it's sequel.

Just Cause 2 had two years before the multiplayer mod, and it was believed by those who played it to be "hella fun" during those two years. Then the multiplayer mod came and it became even more fun.

Lomax

It's basically not easy to do anything like that because ModBot doesn't assume a strict format, so names are entered in all sorts of mishmashes of ways, and I am not being paid to manually categorize Batman Origins as Batman Arkham Origins as Arkham Origins as Buttman Arkham Buttrigins loll hahaha. I agree that in some ideal world that would be a good idea though.

Well yeah, wouldn't be perfect, but basically every bundle game now has got to be at over 20-30 giveaways with the right name whereas something new might have maybe one or two, even ignoring bad names. If cross referencing that data was something simple. Or maybe scan for raffles that have had a huge number of entries and flag those games as hot?

That's an accurate depiction on how many bundles it's been in. It would be kind of inversely proportional to desirability :p.

That's actually what I meant, the more times in modbot, the less hot, I just didn't describe it right.

cant speak for part 1 but JC2 is just fucking beautiful chaos. just dont play it for the story and enjoy hookshotting to everything followed by blowing everything up. It's that type of open world game

RedSwirl

I nominate Alan Wake or FEZ. Both very different games, but excellent in their own ways.

I was thinking about Alan Wake too. I didn't enjoy the game too much on Xbox but mainly because I approached it the wrong way. Been waiting to give it another shot.

I think I might settle on OG Shadow Warrior though.

For a lot of the other games, especially the 2D ones, I'm waiting until I can afford an Xbox One controller since it has a better D pad.

Nabs

New GMG 20% off coupon: A5D6OC-SSP45E-FYUBTA

It can't be used with everything, but it can be used with playfire/gmg credit. It can also be used on cheap (-$10) games.

Chris R

Is there a steam tag for games that work well on older hardware? With the sale coming up I'll try to get my friend into PC gaming again but he has a ~2 or 3 year old laptop with an IGP.

Turfster

Groupees 1$ Remute bundle has the following games:
  • Speedball 2HD (Steam)
  • Retro Arcade Adventure Remade (Desura)
  • Chester (Desura)
  • Dynablaster Revenge (DRM Free)

Mostly interesting for the 'Game Music History' soundtrack full of Hubbard, Galway and Huelsbeck goodness.

fiancée

What is wrong with X360CE?

As already pointed out, if a game has no support for xinput, x360ce won't help. x360ce just turns dinput into xinput.

New GMG 20% off coupon: A5D6OC-SSP45E-FYUBTA

It can't be used with everything, but it can be used with playfire/gmg credit. It can also be used on cheap (-$10) games.

Niice... might have to use some of my credit.

--

Late mission spoilers for LEGO MARVEL... probably mission 10 or 11, IIRC...
It's not as funny now, but at the time, I was dying of laughter because of Hulk:
http://a.pomf.se/uwrnjc.webm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom