• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

The Fancy Skulls trailer looks cool. Reminds me of Heavy Bullets.

Fancy Skulls is a challenging first person shooter with procedural generation, permanent death and distinct art style.
Intense and tactical combat, unique weapon mods and items that change the way you play.

There is 7 different weapons, and every weapon can be modded with options like "walk backwards to get ammo", or "12 hits with no misses give you money" or "last two bullets in a magazine do double damage".

There are lots of usable items and power ups, like friendly sentry or a polymorph spell to turn stuff into other stuff. Or a kite that lets you fly.

Every enemy has a weak spot you can hit, and enemies differ in their behavior. For example there is an enemy that will teleport every time you hit it, or enemy that leaves bombs that home on you, but you can shoot those bombs to push them onto your foes.

jediyoshi

Not sure how their dreamhack schedules line up, but I never thought I'd see csgo over lol

DiO6WRs.png

HoosTrax

Ha, just looked up the "this is PC only, who cares", assuming it was from a console-only die-hard GAF'er threadcrapping a PC game thread. Oh Ubi, never change.

Not sure how their dreamhack schedules line up, but I never thought I'd see csgo over lol

DiO6WRs.png
I kind of wrote off CS:GO as DOA when it launched due to its reception by fans of CS:S and CS 1.6.

Yeah, this is a great game. Been playing it for a while. The main aspects I find so appealing are the abstract visuals, the mysterious atmosphere, and the blend of bullet hell-esque evasion and slower precise combat. Enemies and power-ups are mysterious; you don't know what items do until you use them and you can't really predict how enemies will behave until you've fought them. This creates a sense of tension and discovery as you encounter new foes and items

While evasion is important, the pacing is different from other FPS roguelikes I've played. Every enemy has a special weakpoint, you need to reload your weapon, and you have limited ammo. So if you play this like you would Paranautical or Tower of Guns, just firing wildly, you're going to die fast. Conversing ammo and precise aiming is key to survival in Fancy Skulls.

Edit: oh, wow, already on Early Access? That was fast. Game was just Greenlit a few days ago

Nabs

Bot Colony (Early Access):

It’s 2021, and a devious spy has infiltrated the Pacific sanctuary of the Nakagawa robot company. This secret agent has re-programmed the island’s robots to carry out a terrifying scheme. With only three days left before Armageddon, your help is needed to root out the spy and save Bot Colony.

Why Early Access?

“Bot Colony makes unscripted conversation with the characters a pillar of gameplay. We've developed advanced Natural Language Understanding technology to bring you this new experience. In a nutshell, it means our in-game characters understand what you say – whether you speak it or type it. Merged with a classic adventure game design filled with twists and turns, Bot Colony’s innovative interaction has the potential to revolutionize PC games. This integration is novel, and obviously needs to be refined based on community feedback.”

Grief.exe

I kind of wrote off CS:GO as DOA when it launched due to its reception by fans of CS:S and CS 1.6.

I think many people did the same. I always thought people should wait for the game to accumulate some time on sale before passing judgment.
Both Source and 1.6 had years at low prices to amass that following.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I know very late, but if we didn't already know when the Summer Sale was happening, these Monday Deals would of been a big indicator.

That game is so bad it made me physically ill.
The more I played it the more I felt that the people in charge of it hadn't played many games at all, let alone Thief games. So many terrible decisions.

Could not agree more. I don't think this is just a bad Thief game, it's just straight up a bad game. Can't see myself ever re-installing and playing this again.

I hope Lumines gets any kind of discount during the seal.

It won't get one.

CS:GO has underwent a lot of changes since launch. It's really mixed up the formula in a couple successful ways.

hey jshackles, didn't ES used to add a box at the bottom of your wishlist that would say how much buying your whole wishlist would cost, along with a button to buy the whole list?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
hey jshackles, didn't ES used to add a box at the bottom of your wishlist that would say how much buying your whole wishlist would cost, along with a button to buy the whole list?

Yeah, and it still does. Except that if you have too many items on your wishlist (typically over 100) it stops working because Valve's API server can't handle that many AppIDs at once.

Man this is such a cool thing to see when you open Steam in the browser and didn't expect anything
LvYudmy.png

Happy 7th Steamday to me!

Probably my favourite ES thing :D

I posted some impressions on the previous page, but here's a more detailed review I wrote back in October
Between Paranautical Activity, Tower of Guns, and Fancy Skulls, it seems like the roguelike first person shooter is in vogue right now. While Paranautical Activity and Tower of Guns embrace over-the-top white-knuckle mayhem, Fancy Skulls stands out due to its abstract style and measured, more strategic gameplay.

The first aspect that stands out is the game's surreal visuals. Activate one of its randomized rooms and deformed multi-eyed...things emerge from their spawn points to attack: flying projectile-firing skulls, red-clawed melee chargers, bomb-spewing white stalks that aimlessly lurch around, spindly cyclopean turrets, and more. Each new enemy is a new learning experience: how does it behave, does it move or is it stationary, and most importantly, where is its weak point. Every enemy has a weak point somewhere on its body, some obvious, some more concealed or only visible at certain intervals; a few shots in this vulnerable area will kill an enemy and this element, combined with your limited ammo, totally alters the pacing compared to other FPS roguelikes. While in other games, you can fire wildly at enemies, here you'll survive longer by making your shots count and taking the time to aim carefully.

Further adding to Fancy Skull's strategic gameplay are the items and upgrades you can acquire. Like the enemies, you won't know what an item will do until you use it. From allowing you to hover and double jump to performing a fiery melee slam to slowing time, items are varied and completely change your strategy. Items require mana to use, so you can't spam these special abilities. Weapon upgrades can be bought from vendors found on each floor and imbue your guns with game changing abilities such as fire or explosive rounds to making ammo not count while airborne. The game's seven weapons range from your starting revolver to a shotgun and raygun to a rocket launcher and each feels different. (And yes you can rocket-jump.) You can only carry four guns at a time so choose wisely.

Fancy Skulls combines the FPS roguelike genre with mystery, strategy, and minimalist visuals.
Since then, the game has been updated with new enemies, new items, new weapon mods, new level layouts, unlockable playstyle modifiers, in-game achievements/challenges

Yeah, and it still does. Except that if you have too many items on your wishlist (typically over 100) it stops working because Valve's API server can't handle that many AppIDs at once.

Ahh, bummer. That makes sense. I liked seeing that. Though maybe it's for the best I don't know how much it would all cost.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I posted some impressions on the previous page, but here's a more detailed review I wrote back in October

Since then, the game has been updated with new enemies, new items, new weapon mods, new level layouts, unlockable playstyle modifiers, in-game achievements/challenges

Looks/sounds baller as hell, but the sale is only a few days away so I might just have to sit and wait on it a bit.

Garcia

Guys, I'm now tempted to buy Watchdogs if it goes on sale. Game's starting to look beautiful with each new update.

That thread is breaking every single record apparently. It's been alive for 13 hours, has less than 1500 posts but it has over 1,200,000 views. Damn.

Guys, I'm now tempted to buy Watchdogs if it goes on sale. Game's starting to look beautiful with each new update.

That thread is breaking every single record apparently. It's been alive for 13 hours, has less than 1500 posts and it has over 1,200,000 views. Damn,
Someone posted about the thread on Reddit = insane amount of views

Parsnip

The watch doges thread about the secret e3 sauce is incredible.

Is it a mod or is it not, only time will tell!
Oh the things people argue about.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bundlestars was teasing a new bundle earlier but it never happened. tomorrow I guess

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man this is such a cool thing to see when you open Steam in the browser and didn't expect anything
LvYudmy.png

Happy 7th Steamday to me!

Probably my favourite ES thing :D

Happy Steam birthday! :)

That thread is breaking every single record apparently. It's been alive for 13 hours, has less than 1500 posts but it has over 1,200,000 views. Damn.

The game might be beautiful now but is that the only thing you expect out of it? I would rather save my money for GTA V. Unlike Ubi Rockstar is known to deliver polished games.

This might be a bit too nitpicking but this video here turned me off from ever buying Watch Dogs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idA9BEA4Hxs

Halo 2

Banned
Where the hell is the button on indie gala to link my Steam account?

I see nothing on that weird profile page where it's supposed to be.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
My 30 for steam sale are weeping after looking at my wishlist. I shall make a top 10 list of priorities from the steam sale. -_-

Arthea

According to modbot these are some unclaimed games from older giveaways and some new too, as most games were unclaimed, no rules this time for real, not simply forgotten.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Toki Tori -- MB-BFA23EE0C6193362 - Taken by Sub Zero
Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-97BE5D82EBEDAA2B - Taken by scorpscarx
Zero Gear -- MB-F7E9939CC5830A56 - Taken by fuzzy123
Foreign Legion Multi Massacre -- MB-2A9A4D6F4C91BD44 - Taken by bigace33
Gravity Badgers -- MB-7BBD7700C97C5DEF - Taken by SalsaShark
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem -- MB-C2A59552C5B75810
Overcast Walden and the Werewolf -- MB-53A2694D9DBF0654 - Taken by Dusk Golem
Soulbringer #2 -- MB-E986708C55038141 - Taken by Baha
Inescapable -- MB-A033CFE3835F83F0 - Taken by Tesseract
Cognition: Episode 2 -- MB-66CE1556EA618B95 - Taken by Sammichu
Time Gentlemen Please Ben There, Dan That -- MB-1B04BF4362422588 - Taken by DaBargainHunta
ulgzbKC.png
Battlepaths (Desura) -- MB-DB9AE63D5890CD83
Metal Drift -- MB-C1E1405ACD1CBB3E
HOARD Complete Pack -- MB-FF2140F7BAA9405E - Taken by HP_Wuvcraft

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Zero Gear was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Foreign Legion Multi Massacre was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Gravity Badgers was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Post Apocalyptic Mayhem was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Soulbringer #2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Time Gentlemen Please Ben There, Dan That was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Battlepaths (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Metal Drift was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Dreaming Sarah was released as an Early Access title today. If you bought the Groupees Retro 3 bundle or bought the game on Desura, keys should be available in the near future.

About the Game

Inspired by the horror game Yume Nikki, Dreaming Sarah is a surreal adventure platformer game with puzzle elements, an engaging environment, an incredibly diverse cast of characters, and of course, a young girl named Sarah.

Sarah has been on an accident and is in a coma. It's up to you help her wake up by exploring her dream world while collecting items, talking to weird characters and exploring the world around her!

Key Features:

• Explore different areas, like a forest, a haunted mansion and even the moon.
  • Collect gameplay-changing items, like an umbrella that helps Sarah glide around, a manifying glass that changes her size and a necklace that turns her into a fish.
  • Solve puzzles by paying attention to the scenery, taking notes and exploring the world around you.
  • Get up to two different endings depending on what you have found or done.
  • Visit old areas to find new things that appear as you progress in the game.

Arthea

thanks for gravity badgers

idk what it is but it says badgers and has some nice art

edit: oh wait what

these are NOT badgers, I am disgusted

no worries these certainly are badgers, that was joke with a name.

I vaguely remember trying to play it, and it has to have badgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom