• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeputyVanHalen

Neo Member
First time trying to do this, so hopefully I do it right.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sound of drop fall into poison -- MB-0EE07307E8304A13 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 13 entrants total.
fault milestone one -- MB-753BD5236AB4D8A8 - Taken by gaiadyne. 9 entrants total.
fault milestone two side:above -- MB-C88FFDDD241ABC24 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 12 entrants total.

t1496785914z1.png

Knurek

Isn't that idol magical girl thing a spin off of something else

i don't mind long ;)

Grisaia.

Best thing about Root Double is the pacing.
It's a 66+ hour game, but other than the B route, it feels much faster than Steins;Gate (which is 35-ish affair, but certainly feels much longer than that).

sprinkles

To add a little about the smaller, lesser known VN's in this bundle:

• fault milestone one & two side:above are really good, not too long reads, if you like fantasy stories with a good deep magic system. Too bad the developer takes forever between each release and is currently working on a prequel instead on two side:below.
  • Idol Magical Girl Chiru Chiru Michiru Part1&2 are spinoffs of the Grisaia series, the same characters of those games in a comedy about Magical Girls. I only read Part 1 - the humor is hit&miss but the characters of Grisaia are all there, so if you like those then give it a try.
  • WORLD END ECONOMiCA. I wanted to love this VN, but something just did not click. I did not finish Vol.1, but the setting and the premise are still intriguing (the story is about future stock trading on the moon!).

To add a little about the smaller, lesser known VN's in this bundle:

• fault milestone one & two side:above are really good, not too long reads, if you like fantasy stories with a good deep magic system. Too bad the developer takes forever between each release and is currently working on a prequel instead on two side:below.

The prequel is supposed to come out this month and above apparently also should still come out this year.

Pixieking

Banned
DRM developer Rob Fearon on Steam Direct:
Rob 💕 Cats‏ @retroremakes

Can't be arsed logging in to check exactly how long but it would have taken me months to get that $100 back from Valve if Direct existed.

I doubt I could have found a week where I could afford the Greenlight fee so it's lucky I was through the door before they charged cash.

Bluntly, my game would not be on Steam if I'd have had to pay for the slot in -any- way.

I mean, maybe if it was twenty or thirty quid but seventy or eighty? That's my kid's food.

I think you're all more than aware by now that I am indeed serious about games and very serious about what I do here.

So you know, hundred dollars per game is essentially my games won't appear on Steam without a miracle.

Just so we're clear as to how this works.

Yer J to the Blows will still be fine. Other Indies will rant about seriousness and borrowing money or working to get it.

I'll just be sitting here going "well, there goes Steam for me then"

Sorry about that.

Still, was fun whilst it lasted eh.

https://twitter.com/retroremakes/status/872155121714683904

:( Unfortunate, but Steam has got to the point where Valve either remove user functionality (cards, workshop), increase employee eyes on the store beyond what they're already projecting, or put-in-place the Direct fee.

shockdude

That Humble reminds me of how I beat Hatoful Boyfriend and got constant VN recommendations for a week. That was an experience.
Small price to pay for Hatoful though, what a crazy game.

Give me a badge for voting for all these games, and I would be happy.

Heh, salty. I voted 265 games and it seemed a lot less to me. I'M pretty sure I pushed some junk into steam also I don't think I bought any games that I claimed that I would buy if they were on steam. That may be the biggest lie on my life and it is unbelievable that steam/valve didn't anticipate that.

Eila

Anyone know how to fix this problem with idlemaster? I've had it since the damned creator's update hit my PC which broke some shit (rolled it back but it didn't fix this problem).
Zlybnim.png

Or maybe know of another program that allows you to farm cards fast. I've been using Archi Steam Farm but it takes too long. With idlemaster you could toggle between games and would sometimes drop cards fast.

Arthea

Anyone know how to fix this problem with idlemaster? I've had it since the damned creator's update hit my PC which broke some shit (rolled it back but it didn't fix this problem).
http://i.imgur.com/Zlybnim.png[/IMG
Or maybe know of another program that allows you to farm cards fast. I've been using Archi Steam Farm but it takes too long. With idlemaster you could toggle between games and would sometimes drop cards fast.[/QUOTE]

community is all wonky for almost a week now, it more times doesn't work than does

DRM developer Rob Fearon on Steam Direct:

https://twitter.com/retroremakes/status/872155121714683904

:( Unfortunate, but Steam has got to the point where Valve either remove user functionality (cards, workshop), increase employee eyes on the store beyond what they're already projecting, or put-in-place the Direct fee.

I don't get it. I mean, it costs $100 to get an Apple Developer cert, and I can't remember the last time I heard of a dev that couldn't afford it. Sure, that covers all of your apps, but it's also yearly charge if you want your apps to stay.

Well it's a good thing that PC is an open platform. But if you couldn't make back your $100, why is losing Steam a big deal anyway? The 20-odd people in your audience will follow you elsewhere.

Eila

community is all wonky for almost a week now, it more times don't work than does

Hmm it doesn't seem to work ever for me anymore. Googled it and it apparently was a problem that was patched in version 1.4.1, but that's the version I'm using.
Also miss the "farm for the most expensive cards first" feature in idlemaster. Like right now I'm farming for The Orb Chambers II instead of muh nekopara.

Wok

Heh, salty. I voted 265 games and it seemed a lot less to me. I'M pretty sure I pushed some junk into steam also I don't think I bought any games that I claimed that I would buy if they were on steam. That may be the biggest lie on my life and it is unbelievable that steam/valve didn't anticipate that.

I hope I will get a level-3258 badge.

hXuRAt8.png

I have voted positively for only 104 titles. I am glad I could help these games:

Ascheroth

Looks like summer sale ended early.
I don't think I'll buy anything after getting the monthly and this bundle and with all the Falcom games still coming.

kulapik

Steam discussion:

Steam chat:

Google Cache:

Hmmm...

Was coming to mention that, they said this in september, they recently got a pubisher and changed the game enough to probably go "nah, we won't be giving them". still bullshit though.

Pixieking

Banned
So he is saying he has the money for a PS devkit, but not 100$ for one entry?

Where does he say he has a PS devkit? (He might do, but don't remember seeing DRM on the PS?)

I don't get it. I mean, it costs $100 to get an Apple Developer cert, and I can't remember the last time I heard of a dev that couldn't afford it. Sure, that covers all of your apps, but it's also yearly charge if you want your apps to stay.

Well it's a good thing that PC is an open platform. But if you couldn't make back your $100, why is losing Steam a big deal anyway? The 20-odd people in your audience will follow you elsewhere.

Well, ignoring the passive-aggressive elitism of your "20-odd people" remark, he's illustrating that the wide world of Steam is no longer for everyone. Not every dev can afford every fee, and it's going to negatively affect even quality developers, not just those doing asset flips or gaming the card system.

Interestingly, as Steam grows to become close to a fully-fledged retailer, itch.io is going to follow in its wake.

Wok

Was coming to mention that, they said this in september, they recently got a pubisher and changed the game enough to probably go "nah, we won't be giving them". still bullshit though.

If the trend goes on, I'm not going to renew the monthly subscription at the end of the year. Comics, demos, sneak peeks, with no Steam key at the end of the day, overwhelmingly negative Steam reviews, etc. What's next? Anime bundles? 😅

Where does he say he has a PS devkit? (He might do, but don't remember seeing DRM on the PS?)

Isnt DRM on Vita?

Well, ignoring the passive-aggressive elitism of your "20-odd people" remark, he's illustrating that the wide world of Steam is no longer for everyone. Not every dev can afford every fee, and it's going to negatively affect even quality developers, not just those doing asset flips or gaming the card system.

He released exactly 1 game in 4 years. I dont really think thats a big difference between a one time 100$ for hime or pay it for another game again.

Interestingly, as Steam grows to become close to a fully-fledged retailer, itch.io is going to follow in its wake.

Sorry but if, as a developper, you can't afford a 100 dollars fee, then it means you're not planning a commercial product.

Saty

Eurogamer interviews Chris Taylor: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-01-going-pottery-total-annihilations-chris-taylor-new-rts

"We had three projects running in 2012, and things were really, really great." The global recession had ended and Gas Powered Games had Age of Empires Online plus an unannounced game in development with Microsoft, and a card game in development with Square Enix.

"Well Microsoft, they cancelled both of the projects
," he says, "so of course we started going into lay-offs. But we had a little bit of money in the bank. Then the Square Enix title got cancelled as well. All three projects cancelled by October of 2012. The company went from being fully busy to not a single dollar coming in the door."

On GPG's game with Wargaming:
Gas Powered Games was put to work making something completely new and from scratch. Something big; the team grew from 30 people to over 100. But even now, more than three years on, Taylor can't say what the game was. It still hasn't been announced.

On his new game as indie dev again:
"I'm going back to RTS," he says. "I'm going to change the paradigm.
"My goal is to put RTSes on more screens than ever. I want to move the football way down the field. I want to change, fundamentally, not only the way we play RTS but the way we access the RTS experience.
"What if I told you you could be playing on your dual-screen PC with your quad-core whatever and when you had to run to a meeting you could continue playing on your phone, because you want to, because you're dying to, because you don't want to have to wait to get back?
"What if I told you you could just turn the power off on your PC and when you went to your phone you could continue playing without any disruption in the experience? A real continuous experience on any device."

"No Steam, no GOG, no App Store," he says. "It's going to be on my own website. People will hear about it and get a link and go to my website and play the game, and that's all there is to it. Absolute pure independence."
It will also be free-to-play but, he adds, "I'm changing the free-to-play model".
"When another developer sees what I've done, and I mean this, they're going to say, 'Ooh that's really interesting - I should do something like that.' I'm going to set up a bunch of stuff they're going to want to leverage, and I know that starts to sound like a platform because," he adds, "maybe it is."

Chris Taylor started work on his bold new idea in January, writing the game design then planning the ambitious technical design. He says it will be in the vein of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander but not necessarily the same. He's quite keen on taking you on a hero's journey as in a role-playing game.

His new company isn't officially up and running but apparently the pieces are in place. More importantly he says he has a partnership with "a large cloud-based company" - unnamed - to make his dream come true. But to be clear, "It's not a $10m game or a $20m game."

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ame no Marginal -- MB-C288953D665E0F6F - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Nekopara Vol. 0 -- MB-919EA197226B52C0 - Taken by Jadax. 4 entrants total.
Nekopara Vol. 1 -- MB-656136A9B396452C - Taken by lazerfox. 7 entrants total.
World End Economica episode.01 -- MB-16C9A62B27BF9EEE - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 5 entrants total.
fault milestone one -- MB-432BEBE0873B1D4F - Taken by Tart Toter 9k. 6 entrants total.
fault milestone two side above -- MB-A152A1AA65FEFDE4 - Taken by fspm. 6 entrants total.

t1496779776z1.png

...Steam has never been for everyone. The joke-status of Greenlight's "gatekeeping" was never intended; it wasn't supposed to just be a rubber stamp opening the floodgates, but a barrier that only let in-demand games through to Steam's userbase. It was originally meant to get niche products onto Steam by making the demand clear.

Greenlight's failure has all but necessitated a barrier that places the burden on developers, rather than Steam's customers, as a means of gatekeeping. Because otherwise developers will come up with a way around it and break the system once again.

Personally, I dearly hope this will raise the quality bar on Steam. Wading through all of the garbage to find interesting stuff has gotten beyond tiring. Browsing the store is now about hitting "Not Interested" many, many more times than "wishlist." (Because if you don't, you'll just see it again thanks to Steam's horrible curation.)

JakeD

Sorry but if, as a developper, you can't afford a 100 dollars fee, then it means you're not planning a commercial product.

i try to support indie devs as much as possibly but man, a couple cool gifs and a twitter account and you can crowdfund $100 worth of pre orders in a hour

i try to support indie devs as much as possibly but man, a couple cool gifs and a twitter account and you can crowdfund $100 worth of pre orders in a hour

Exactly. I mean, his only game on Steam sold at least 50k. Even if these sold for like 1 cents (worst case possible), that'd still be 500 dollars of revenue. I'm not an indie dev, I'm not in the industry either. But I'm a young adult and I know for sure that, if you can't afford 100 dollars as an investment, then it means you're in serious financial trouble and you should think of doing something else.

Ladekabel

That The Swords of Ditto trailer looks neat. *checks its store page* Oh great, another game published by Devolver with missing online-coop.

user237

I miss what Greenlight started as, but I won't miss what it became.

My hope for the new system is that 80-90% of the games that were getting through Greenlight will still see the store, but just scrape off that bottom layer of trash games that were made without any care.

Also I wouldn't mind if this resulted in Groupees and IndieGala cutting back a little on the number of bundles and having a higher percentage of playable games included in each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom