• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, what's a good replacement for a R9 270? A RX 460, I guess? Something of a similar price, can't afford much else at the moment.

If you save 10 dollars a week on top of the cost of an rx 460, you can get an rx 480 in two months, and it's a substantially better card. maybe twice as good.

Tomasety

So, what's a good replacement for a R9 270? A RX 460, I guess? Something of a similar price, can't afford much else at the moment.

If you save 10 dollars a week on top of the cost of an rx 460, you can get an rx 480 in two months, and it's a substantially better card. maybe twice as good.

I agree with Stumpokapow. I don't know where you live, but if you can't wait or a RX 480 is too expensive for you then I suggest you to get a RX 470 instead.

Somehow the USB connection on the Xbox one controller I use on my PC got busted so that it won't charge unless the cable is being forced down. I managed to get it charging by putting the edge of the keyboard on top of the connector but I can't play and charge at the same time. It's a cool blue navy special forces version so that sucks. I guess I should see if they have a battery charger like they did for the 360 so I don't have to just stop using it.

Wrap a rubber band around it then loop it under the controller, should give enough force to charge it. I had to do that with an old PS3 controller and it worked really well until I bought a new one.

gngf123

270 -> 460 really isn't an upgrade at all really. Can't justify the cost in my opinion.

Definitely try saving up for a couple of months to get a 480. They are coming down in price at the moment too.

Coreda

These WebGL creations are like solitude simulators. Wouldn't call them games, more like micro experimental experiences. The real-world ambient sound effects create this simple sense of being in an isolated environment. Made me imagine various story scenarios. Showed up on RPS.

EcC2dLL.jpg
ICNYcxw.jpg
WuZXPML.jpg

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
These WebGL creations are like solitude simulators. Wouldn't call them games, more like micro experimental experiences. The real-world ambient sound effects create this simple sense of being in an isolated environment. Made me imagine various story scenarios. Showed up on RPS.

I love the Sketch/Place pieces. They're even more minimal in their approach than the average first person experience, but very heavy on ambiance. Each one is just a little pocket of a world to exist in, moving around in little paintings created to capture a mood and time. Brought some memories back of downloading alpha WIP source games and some early unity projects where the world was incomplete, but I'd still wander around to see what the devs managed to put together. Only for these, that's the whole point.

yuraya

Aren't the 500 series cards rumored to release soon?

Anyone saving up for a 480 now will probably be able to get a card that is even better than that in a few months.

RX 460 would offer similar performances. It has less compute units compared to R9 270 (14 vs 20) but it kinda make it up with higher clockspeed. It's still slower overall. You should go for a RX480 which would double your performances.

MadGear

Aren't the 500 series cards rumored to release soon?

Anyone saving up for a 480 now will probably be able to get a card that is even better than that in a few months.

According to rumors they are supposed to release mid-april so unless you need to replace a defective GPU asap there is no need to rush things right now (assuming that these rumors are true). I own an MSI 480 which is already considered to be one of the quieter ones but it still is audible in games like DOOM, so if there is even a small chance that the 580 is a quieter/cooler version of that card, I would absolutely recommend waiting for the 500 series.

From 270 i wouldn't go for 460. Buy at least 470 or 480.
I agree with Stumpokapow. I don't know where you live, but if you can't wait or a RX 480 is too expensive for you then I suggest you to get a RX 470 instead.
RX 460 would offer similar performances. It has less compute units compared to R9 270 (14 vs 20) but it kinda make it up with higher clockspeed. It's still slower overall. You should go for a RX480 which would double your performances.

I was planning on saving for a RX 480 later this year, but right now I'd rather have a replacement that will actually let me play some recent titles. Saving for a RX 480 would take me several months. And I think I would also need to buy a new psu along with it since I only have a 450w one from Antec.

data

I was planning on saving for a RX 480 later this year, but right now I'd rather have a replacement that will actually let me play some recent titles. Saving for a RX 480 would take me several months. And I think I would also need to buy a new psu along with it since I only have a 450w one from Antec.

Maybe go for a 470? A 460 really isn't THAT much faster than a 270.

And you'd be fine with your PSU for a 470/480, I think.

NeoRaider

Sorry but you won't get any performance boost with 460.

Durante

I just reached ending A in Nier:Automata. That was a great climax.
Such a fantastic game. I actually wanted to stop playing 3 hours ago because I have things to do, but I couldn't bring myself to. 21 hours in 2 days (didn't have time on Friday) is a bit crazy.

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm i'm on a zelda mood after going to the zelda symphony concert

i wonder what the best way to go through the series is

chronological?

hE POps in from time to time...when you're not around ;)
rude

All of the running around isn't very fun, especially with how restrictive the map can be.
it's surprisingly invisible walled all over the place. it's kinda crazy how often the whole "i should be able to jump this" or "i should be able to walk under this" turns out to be a big NOPE

but hey it does a little bit of world building

i just don't think this world is as interesting as nier 1's

Durante

Also, the game's AA setting refers to MSAA, so if performance is low, you may want to disable it and do this instead:
That seems like a bad tip (injecting post-processing AA that is, not disabling the built-in MSAA).
The in-game ppAA, which is still enabled when you disable MSAA, is really good (as far as those things go) -- I very much doubt you can inject something better (or even equal).

Ascheroth

I just reached ending A in Nier:Automata. That was a great climax.
Such a fantastic game. I actually wanted to stop playing 3 hours ago because I have things to do, but I couldn't bring myself to. 21 hours in 2 days (didn't have time on Friday) is a bit crazy.

Lol, it's pretty much exactly the same for me.
Though I did play Friday already : P

Game's way too good.

I finished D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die and I found it really interesting too bad there won't be any more episodes, especially after the way it ended. :/

ArjanN

After playing some more Chaos Code I'm pretty impressed. It's really a very solid fighter, and a good PC version.

This needs way more love. Couple of days left for the 10% discount!

E5844E73AD2B8F73A2965683C166762F66867082

Maybe go for a 470? A 460 really isn't THAT much faster than a 270.

And you'd be fine with your PSU for a 470/480, I think.
Sorry but you won't get any performance boost with 460.

I don't necessarily seek an improvement but just a replacement of equal capabilities. Saving for a RX 480 and (if necessary) a new psu would take me months, and I don't want to wait that much.

EDIT: One thing, though. How much of an improvement is the 470 from a 460 or R9 270? Is it also that much worse than a 480?

data

I don't necessarily seek an improvement but just a replacement of equal capabilities. Saving for a RX 480 and (if necessary) a new psu would take me months, and I don't want to wait that much.

EDIT: One thing, though. How much of an improvement is the 470 from a 460 or R9 270? Is it also that much worse than a 480?
470 doubles the fps of a 460. It's only 10% slower than a 480.
it also has double the vram unless you go for more expensive 460s but at that point whatever value it has goes out the window compared to the 470

Arthea

Automata is back at the top of global bestseller list btw
so that throws any sale predictions out of the window.

and it also now has very positive reviews today (mixed yesterday), what happened?

anybody playing

I need some impressions

Initially I had AO turned off since I wanted to improve performance but reading that it also enables some kind of post process AA made me turn it back on and it does a pretty decent job. There doesn't seem to be any significant performance impact either.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Does Nier wven have msaa? I dont remember seeing an option for it.

The only thing I don't like about Nier so far is that some invisible walls male 0 sense. You know when you can see both sides of the exit, but you have to go around this wall in order to get to either side? It's a little odd.

Combat is excellent though can't wait to dive in longer than just an hour or two.

^MSAA is just the anti aliasing option with 2x, 4x, 8x. It doesn't say anything else.

Parsnip

Somehow the USB connection on the Xbox one controller I use on my PC got busted so that it won't charge unless the cable is being forced down. I managed to get it charging by putting the edge of the keyboard on top of the connector but I can't play and charge at the same time. It's a cool blue navy special forces version so that sucks. I guess I should see if they have a battery charger like they did for the 360 so I don't have to just stop using it.
Is upgrading to the enelopp lifestyle an option?

hmm i'm on a zelda mood after going to the zelda symphony concert

i wonder what the best way to go through the series is

chronological?

The correct answer is always the release order.

JustinBB7

everytime there is a new release that has MSAA in it, people crank it up to 8x with their 970s and then bitch about how the game is "unoptimized trash" because their 3.5 gb vram card can't handle it

I have a 970, turned it to 8x noticed it lagged then put it on 2x. It's still laggy in the main open city parts, so thinking about turning it off fully.

Nier A when playing the main story - A+++

Nier A when running around the open world and doing sidequests - C

Agreed yea, finally unlocked fast travel and that helps A LOT. But the open world is very badly designed, map is hard to navigate, I randomly just found a sewer pipe leading to an area I could never get too before. And I just found it by accident. Not the first time that happened either. I'm a side quests first kinda guy so I can enjoy the main story in big chunks. But most of the sidequests are just fetch this, and get the mission complete after waiting a bit. Not very fun and traversing the bad map doesn't help either. The main story stuff is amazing though.

Anno

After playing through a decent amount of the ME:A trial I think it'll be a good game, especially if you like ME in general. But there are a ton of little niggling things that'll keep it from being great, or whatever. The animations and stuff are a fun meme but they really do detract from being immersed in the world. Luckily a lot of the voice acting is quite good and the writing isn't always terrible. It's also really fun to play in combat, easily the best that ME has ever been.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It is not labeled as such, but the AA options in game are actually MSAA

Turning it off entirely and simply using the postprocessing AA you get with AO turned on is much cheaper.

Ah good to know, im going to start it tomorrow. I only did the prologue, havent tried the open world.

bbd23

going to be interesting to see reviews for mass effect

you just know that review thread is going to be a disaster no matter how it goes

illusionary

The correct answer is always the release order.
Yep - this is as good a guide as any, and also means that the undisputed "classics" of Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are reached fairly quickly.

Be sure not to skip on the handheld releases either, other than perhaps the two DS games.

After playing through a decent amount of the ME:A trial I think it'll be a good game, especially if you like ME in general. But there are a ton of little niggling things that'll keep it from being great, or whatever. The animations and stuff are a fun meme but they really do detract from being immersed in the world. Luckily a lot of the voice acting is quite good and the writing isn't always terrible. It's also really fun to play in combat, easily the best that ME has ever been.

"...the writing isn't always terrible."

Sounds like a box quote to me!

going to be interesting to see reviews for mass effect

you just know that review thread is going to be a disaster no matter how it goes

It won't be a disaster. The Bioware name alone will ensure high review scores. I actually checked Metacritic yesterday and found out that Bioware's lowest rated mainline game is Dragon Age 2 at 82/100 or 79/100 depending on platform.

Dragon Age 2. 82/100. Nothing else needs to be said.

Anno

"...the writing isn't always terrible."

Sounds like a box quote to me!

Eh it's better than I expected from current Bioware. Certainly no worse than most video game writing. I think a lot of the premise of the game is squandered in a hurry but they seem to give you decent options for reacting to it appropriately. If there were more games like it I'd be more upset, but this is what we've got for high budget space RPGs.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
As long as the companions are cool and well written people will love ME:A despite any other glaring flares. My wife loves all three Dragon Age games and only one was remotely worthwhile

Ozium

the intro actually ran worse for me in nier, lots of frame dips and pacing issues, and the cutscenes looked like 15 fps.. after getting into the open world everything has been 60 and while the cutscenes are still choppy they seem a lot better than they did in the intro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom