• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. I thought the Attack on Titan port was "okay". Played it yesterday and the first 3 missions were great 60fps.

Then the 4th mission with Mikasa started and a lot of Titans and NPCs entered the field. It ran at 10-20fps and was almost unplayable.
980TI, 7600k here...

Weird. Did you checked your GPU usage ? I never got dips below 40fps during these segments (that involves houses destructions) with a R9 290.

Kssio_Aug

I think some people have a distorted memory of Far Cry 2. The game had some awesome details, but the infinity respawing enemies and the fact that once they look at you they will find wherever you are made the gameplay hugely tiresome and disappointing.

I totally think they need to move on again though. Far Cry 3 formula has nothing new to offer anymore imo.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Shrouded in Sanity added Survivor mode today and its perfect for farming Vitae to get the upgrade stones. Just when I thought I was dropping it .

Aaron D.

I think some people have a distorted memory of Far Cry 2. The game had some awesome details, but the infinity respawing enemies and the fact that once they look at you they will find wherever you are made the gameplay hugely tiresome and disappointing.

I totally think they need to move on again though. Far Cry 3 formula has nothing new to offer anymore imo.

Nope.

FC2 was about the journey. Removing (spawning) guard outposts would have made the landscape dead after a certain number of hours. Now I won't argue that insta-respawn is excessive. But the basic principle stands. FC2 is about tactical, open-world traversal. The story is close to non-existent, it's simply not a focus compared to the emergent gameplay possibilities.

Games like FC3 / FC4 were less about the journey and more about the destination, vis a vis the next story beat or cut-scene. In that game dynamic, respawning checkpoints would be a hindrance to the game flow.

Two different focuses. Two different gameplay loops.

Monooboe

Alright I'm super hyped to know more about the new FarCry. The teasers really did their job.

Can't believe it's E3 soon, should be quite good this year, since it should be all about the games and no hardware announcements.

Volimar

For what it's worth, Elder Scrolls Online, despite it's name, does work to play as a single player experience for many people.

Confirmed. I play it as a single player experience. Think of it as Elder Scrolls Lite to tide you over till ES VI.

lazerfox

After not playing any JRPG since Pokemon Ruby 15 years ago I finished Tits FC last weekend.

What an amazing game. I'm glad people recommended this to me. Already bought SC on the humble store since it's on sale.

Thanks GAF!

well...Red Dead Redemption 2 got delayed until Spring 2018

guess there won't be a PC version until the end of next year or some time in 2019 now

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I will defend Far Cry 2 on multiple points, including respawning enemies, but I can't justify that piss yellow malaria right from the start. Especially with how little it actually mattered overall, and instead just stopped you from what you were doing to take some pills.

Plus, it never even really mattered. It just slowed you down and annoyed people, which caused many to stop playing the game early on.

Vibranium

Banned
well...Red Dead Redemption 2 got delayed until Spring 2018

guess there won't be a PC version until the end of next year or some time in 2019 now

On the bright side the Canadian dollar has more time to rebound so hopefully I won't have to pay $80 for the Steam version by then.

Also, we're never getting a new Bully game at the rate Rockstar is at.

FLD

On the bright side the Canadian dollar has more time to rebound so hopefully I won't have to pay $80 for the Steam version by then.

Also, we're never getting a new Bully game at the rate Rockstar is at.

Lol, even if it does there's no way in hell they're going to be as eager to lower the prices back down as they were to raise them.

Kssio_Aug

I am thinking about upgrading my gaming PC, but I'm a noob in the subject. I will describe my current settings, the maximum I can, and then I will number some questions.

* Motherboard: Asus (P8H61-M LE)
* Processor - Intel Core i5 2500 @3.3Ghz (LGA1155)
* RAM: G. Skill (Ripjaws X) DDR3 1.333 mhz 8 GB (2x 4 GB)
* Video Card: Nvidia (GTX 570) 1.28 GB / 320 bits EVGA
* Cabinet Cooler: 12cm - Arctict Cooling (F12 PWM)
* Hard Drive: 500 GB 7.200 RPM Sata 3 - Seagate Barracuda (ST500DM002)
* Power Supply: Corsair TX 750W

As you can see, it is a pretty simple build. The cabinet is a very simple one too. The cooling is done just by the hardware parts itself and a simple cooler in the cabinet. Here is what I'd like to know:

1) Would be a good upgrade if I just change my processor and my video card? I was thinking about upgrading to GTX 970 and changing the processor to something better but not too expensive.
2) Would I be able to make this change using the current motherboard? I believe that's the one: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LE/
3) Would this simple cooling system handle a GTX 970 and a better processor?

Ps.: I'm not interested in overclock.

Parsnip

I am thinking about upgrading my gaming PC, but I'm a noob in the subject. I will describe my current settings, the maximum I can, and then I will number some questions.

* Motherboard: Asus (P8H61-M LE)
* Processor - Intel Core i5 2500 @3.3Ghz (LGA1155)
* RAM: G. Skill (Ripjaws X) DDR3 1.333 mhz 8 GB (2x 4 GB)
* Video Card: Nvidia (GTX 570) 1.28 GB / 320 bits EVGA
* Cabinet Cooler: 12cm - Arctict Cooling (F12 PWM)
* Hard Drive: 500 GB 7.200 RPM Sata 3 - Seagate Barracuda (ST500DM002)

As you can see, it is a pretty simple build. The cabinet is a very simple one too. The cooling is done just by the hardware parts itself and a simple cooler in the cabinet. Here is what I'd like to know:

1) Would be a good upgrade if I just change my processor and my video card? I was thinking about upgrading to GTX 970 and changing the processor to something better but not too expensive.
2) Would I be able to make this change using the current motherboard? I believe that's the one: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LE/
3) Would this simple cooling system handle a GTX 970 and a better processor?

Ps.: I'm not interested in overclock.

If you don't want to swap your mobo, that old LGA1155 socket is limiting your CPU choices considerably. I'm not sure how readily available that era CPU's even are now, and how they are priced.

Vibranium

Banned
Lol, even if it does there's no way in hell they're going to be as eager to lower the prices back down as they were to raise them.

Doesn't matter, I can just get someone from the US to buy the game and gift it me (instantly under this new system), and pay them the equivalent price through the exchange rate.

And I think publishers will go back down to $70 CAD quite fast when things get better but yeah 60 bucks is a far way off.

Kssio_Aug

If you don't want to swap your mobo, that old LGA1155 socket is limiting your CPU choices considerably. I'm not sure how readily available that era CPU's even are now, and how they are priced.

If necessary I will change the mobo, I am just wondering how much will I need to change. May, at this point, be pretty much everything? I mean, my computer is from 2012.

Just finished Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors from the Zero Escape Nonary collection. Excellent visual novel, although the protagonist's English VA took me out of it at times.

Kssio_Aug

A friend just told me to change my GTX 570 to a RX 480. He said that, keeping my configuration totally intact, this VGA will make a HUGE difference. Is that right?

Parsnip

Soo, the BUMP SYSTEM. That's something alright. And looking around, looks like Ys II also uses the bump system.
I can see why I would want to play these games in gameplay progression.

ys1plus_2017_05_23_00_35_53_958_by_majorparsnip-dba3mnw.jpg

Sj9c6uX.gif

jediyoshi

A friend just told me to change my GTX 570 to a RX 480. He said that, keeping my configuration totally intact, this VGA will make a HUGE difference. Is that right?

Depends on what your CPU is to be able to tell if it'd be a bottleneck or not, but yes it'd be significant if it can keep up.

Some benchmark reference
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...3945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-3.html

If you wait for a good sale, you can find them around $200-250 range before rebate
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=GPU+"rx+480"&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all

Kssio_Aug

Depends on what your CPU is to be able to tell if it'd be a bottleneck or not, but yes it'd be significant if it can keep up.

Some benchmark reference
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...3945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-3.html

If you wait for a good sale, you can find them around $200-250 range before rebate
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=GPU+"rx+480"&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all

My set up is the one I mentioned above. I have a i5 2500 @3.3 Ghz.

He told me that a certain bottleneck will happen indeed, specially in some CPU intensive games. However I will notice a huge improvement, even at these said games, just by swapping the video card.

I'm really noob at how these things work. i thought that maybe, despite my outdated GPU, such a good VGA wouldn't do much of a difference cause the other parts. He really understands about hardware so I believe him, but I'd like a second confirmation just in case, cause that really got me by surprise.

If I could run recent games at 60fps 1080p, I would be totally happy.

Tonton

Soo, the BUMP SYSTEM. That's something alright. And looking around, looks like Ys II also uses the bump system.
I can see why I would want to play these games in gameplay progression.

ys1plus_2017_05_23_00_35_53_958_by_majorparsnip-dba3mnw.jpg

Sj9c6uX.gif
Ys II does have the fire magic which is basically the only way to beat bosses

Bump system is the best tho

Kaleinc

Banned
My set up is the one I mentioned above. I have a i5 2500 @3.3 Ghz.

He told me that a certain bottleneck will happen indeed, specially in some CPU intensive games. However I will notice a huge improvement, even at these said games, just by swapping the video card.

I'm really noob at how these things work. i thought that maybe, despite my outdated GPU, such a good VGA wouldn't do much of a difference cause the other parts. He really understands about hardware so I believe him, but I'd like a second confirmation just in case, cause that really got me by surprise.

If I could run recent games at 60fps 1080p, I would be totally happy.
You only need a new gpu with at least 6-8gb vram.

Nabs

Tonton

Done.

If someone could tell me how to blur the text so it looks like the ingame one, it would look perfect.
lmao

Just my opinion, but I'd personally save Napishtim for last. It's really rough, and I think it's best saved for when you want another Ys hit. And even then, I'd recommend Xanadu instead.
Yeah I'd honestly second this, Napishtim is kinda for when you are done with the other games but you still need more Ys
It's very rough

So basically a GTX 970 would perform the same as a RX 480 for me?

The 970 is roughly as powerful as the 1060 which is roughly as powerful as the RX480. So, in short: yes.

Frankly, you will probably be running into a CPU bottleneck with any of the aforementioned graphics cards. You might get away with it, but I definitely would not recommend a more powerful GPU than the GTX 970/GTX 1060/RX 480/RX 580 without replacing the CPU first.

Jawmuncher

Tried the Fear Effect Inferno demo. The cutscenes look great and basically remind me of what we would've gotten if Fear Effect Inferno had come out. So that's definitely a positive. The gameplay however is a bit odd. I thought this was originally going to be a sort of Xcom thing. But rather it's kind of a weird top down shooter sort of thing. The demo is apparently an early build but it's gameplay wise it's not very impressive. Hopefully they can tie all together before release. In all actuality, I wouldn't have released this demo on steam and kept this as a kickstarter backer only beta sort of thing.

Kssio_Aug

The 970 is roughly as powerful as the 1060 which is roughly as powerful as the RX480. So, in short: yes.

Frankly, you will probably be running into a CPU bottleneck with any of the aforementioned graphics cards. You might get away with it, but I definitely would not recommend a more powerful GPU than the GTX 970/GTX 1060/RX 480/RX 580 without replacing the CPU first.

But would you recommend me to change my GTX 570 by a RX 480, if I told you I found a great price for it, and can't afford much more? I mean, would this upgrade make sense, keeping the rest of the set up?

Cause, at first, I thought I would need to change everything to get a decent performance for 1080p modern gaming (my GTX 570 is having though problems to deal with Doom, Dishonored 2 and Mafia 3 for example). If swapping a GTX 570 for a RX 480 can make things much better, by the price it was offered to me (I'm brazilian, the hardware prices here are all over the place but generally very expensive) I think it's worth it. I can think about changing the CPU and motherboard later if I gain a even better performance after swapping the GPU.

But would you recommend me to change my GTX 570 by a RX 480, if I told you I found a great price for it, and can't afford much more? I mean, would this upgrade make sense, keeping the rest of the set up?
Yeah, it'll make a noticeable difference compared to what you currently have. Just do be aware that you probably won't see much of a difference if you put in an even more powerful graphics card in the future (without replacing the CPU).

Actually, before you go off and buy, open your computer and double check whether or not there's a cable connecting your graphics card directly to your power supply. You'll need one for all RX 480s.

Cause, at first, I thought I would need to change everything to get a decent performance for 1080p modern gaming (my GTX 570 is having though problems to deal with Doom, Dishonored and Mafia 3 for example). If swapping a GTX 570 for a RX 480 can make things much better, by the price it was offered to me (I'm brazilian, the hardware prices here are all over the place but generally very expensive) I think it's worth it. I can think about changing the CPU and motherboard later.

Well, what price is a good price? A 970 is still pretty capable, but depending on the size of your machine you could get one of the smaller 1060s for roughly the same price (or cheaper even).

A 480 would still be fine -- it'd be vastly superior to your 570. In terms of performance, the cards would (generally) go:

1060 > 970 > 480

1060 would be the best, and in US prices at least it's equal to or slightly cheaper than a 970. The little half-size 1060s seem to be great for budget upgrades, as they run pretty cool, take up less room than a full-size card, and don't suck up too much power.

I'm not sure what all these cost in Brazil, so if you have a smokin' deal on a 480 then I'd take it. In my opinion, a 1060 would be the better choice if you can find a reasonable price on one.

EDIT: 970 has the 3.5 gig VRAM thing, so a 480 would be better in that department. A 1060 would still be best, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom