• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But would you recommend me to change my GTX 570 by a RX 480, if I told you I found a great price for it, and can't afford much more? I mean, would this upgrade make sense, keeping the rest of the set up?

Cause, at first, I thought I would need to change everything to get a decent performance for 1080p modern gaming (my GTX 570 is having though problems to deal with Doom, Dishonored 2 and Mafia 3 for example). If swapping a GTX 570 for a RX 480 can make things much better, by the price it was offered to me (I'm brazilian, the hardware prices here are all over the place but generally very expensive) I think it's worth it. I can think about changing the CPU and motherboard later if I gain a even better performance after swapping the GPU.

Going from a GTX 570 to an RX 480 should be a pretty big jump.

Additionally (since you posted your specs earlier) you would probably see quite a bit of performance increase and decreased loading times and such by replacing your HDD with an SSD. Just throwing that out there since it's usually something that's easily replaced and isn't typically dependent on your motherboard unless you're still on SATAII.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, it'll make a noticeable difference compared to what you currently have. Just do be aware that you probably won't see much of a difference if you put in an even more powerful graphics card in the future (without replacing the CPU).

Actually, before you go off and buy, open your computer and double check whether or not there's a cable connecting your graphics card directly to your power supply. You'll need one for all RX 480s.

I'll check that. But in case I need one, is it expensive or hard to find?

Well, what price is a good price? A 970 is still pretty capable, but depending on the size of your machine you could get one of the smaller 1060s for roughly the same price (or cheaper even).

A 480 would still be fine -- it'd be vastly superior to your 570. In terms of performance, the cards would go:

1060 > 970 > 480

1060 would be the best, and in US prices at least it's equal to or slightly cheaper than a 970. The little half-size 1060s seem to be great for budget upgrades, as they run pretty cool, take up less room than a full-size card, and don't suck up too much power.

I'm not sure what all these cost in Brazil, so if you have a smokin' deal on a 480 then I'd take it. In my opinion, a 1060 would be the better choice if you can find a reasonable price on one.

Let's say that for at about 40% cheaper than how much it cost normally (from R$ 1400 to R$ 900). It is a 8GB powecolor.

Going from a GTX 570 to an RX 480 should be a pretty big jump.

Additionally (since you posted your specs earlier) you would probably see quite a bit of performance increase and decreased loading times and such by replacing your HDD with an SSD. Just throwing that out there since it's usually something that's easily replaced and isn't typically dependent on your motherboard unless you're still on SATAII.

Thanks!! I'm definitely looking forward to get an SSD too! Unforturnately, recently I'm needing to economize. But definitely will pick one when I can. I'm thinking about changing this graphic card now just because I wasn't expecting that much of upgrade just swapping the GPU, and because I found the RX 480 by a good price! =)

I'll check that. But in case I need one, is it expensive or hard to find?
Depends on your power supply. If you have a modular power supply, you might be able to get a power cable from its manufacturer, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Do not buy cheap knock-off cables. If your power supply is not modular and there isn't a spare power connector, then you're SOL.

Kssio_Aug

Depends on your power supply. If you have a modular power supply, you might be able to get a power cable from its manufacturer, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Do not buy cheap knock-off cables. If your power supply is not modular and there isn't a spare power connector, then you're SOL.

That's my computer, and my power supply:
VbhA4qI.jpg

I believe you mean that PCI-E cable connecting both?

ezodagrom

wow..u have me beat.. i'm using my phenom II 1090t lol.
Still using a Phenom II X4 955 here, hoping I can upgrade sometime this year, but I wanna go all out, so I'm both saving money and waiting either for 6-core Skylake-X or Coffee Lake (assuming Coffee Lake will even have 6-core models).

SiN was like a poor man's half life, i didn't like what i've played

I want Devolver Digital to pick up the SiN license and make one in the same vein as the first modern Shadow Warrior

It'd baller af

but the game has bits of good level design but it's overshadowed by how awful set piece designs

good enemy designs that are absolutely squandered by the shittiness of this game.

Madventure

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys and 8 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madventure, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

vRvbDCu.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-ED92DA6304997F9F - Taken by Cels. 1 entrants total.
Cities in Motion 2 -- MB-4DC95C79A19DCC6E - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 4 entrants total.

Magical Diary -- MB-484F57BD8D4E6C25 - Taken by Eila. 4 entrants total.
Magicka -- MB-34113493C445F47D
Orcs Must Die! 2 Complete Pack -- MB-853E39159F86BD5B - Taken by sadblob. 1 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! GOTY -- MB-6BD5214EA65F47DB - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Planet Stronghold -- MB-84129DA6BE5F8679 - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
Samorost 2 -- MB-FC27A49392C9484F - Taken by FLD. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-A0BEEFAA9F8AC7F1 - Taken by Tall4Life. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) -- MB-C709A58269F293E5
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-8DAB6A3B4AA26172 - Taken by Stall19. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space 3 (Origin) -- MB-8217EEF7C7ED7990 - Taken by Tizoc. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-7D1D7588BB6637B6
vRvbDCu.png
Mirrors Edge (Origin) -- MB-4CA37E9534426805
vRvbDCu.png
Populous (Origin) -- MB-A45172E5C08C977C

t1495514253z1.png

So Uhhh... I found out my mom doesn't have cancer, have stuff! (I think all of those keys work, sorry if they don't, let me know!)

I just wanna say that the custom controller mapping is an amazing feature. I'll finally be able to play Dragon Age: Origins.

Edit: thank you, Madventure and glad your mom doesn't have cancer.

hesho

Still using a Phenom II X4 955 here, hoping I can upgrade sometime this year, but I wanna go all out, so I'm both saving money and waiting either for 6-core Skylake-X or Coffee Lake (assuming Coffee Lake will even have 6-core models).

i plan on getting a ryzen 5 1600 system in the fall Already bought a new case (phanteks entho primo ultimate) and PSU (EVGA SuperNova 650 P2). I plan on dragging all my HDs and SSD to the new system.

The big thing though, i am still on a 16x10 resolution monitor which is the main reason why i never bothered upgrading my cpu/gpu in years because it still runs most games pretty well. I am debating if i want to upgrade my monitor then.

I've just part ways with that Phenom earlier this month.

The thing has served me for almost 8 years since 2010. These days, newer games just don't support Phenom's architecture anymore. So I really had no choice but to build a new PC from scratch. I hope my new cpu would last as long as my Phenom, or even longer. It's i5 7600.

Anno

Going open world for ME2 I think was a good idea. They fucked it up though by still giving it some inane story and combat instead of making it Burnout Paradise: Parkour Edition with lots of fun movement and challenges.

I meant Wild Hog Game should adopt SiN into an actual good game, not just Devolver Digital?

Also maybe because I'm a bit stupid, but I'm hyped for E3
for all the hype train wrecks and fucking awesomesauce indie games

Has Adult Swim said anything about an E3 presence.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Asteroid Bounty Hunter -- MB-4741A93936FE03F8
Duke of Alpha Centauri -- MB-F995BBE97F9D1E75 - Taken by septicore
Poncho -- MB-2DA21624D2736F1D - Taken by laserlaser

Granjinha

I meant Wild Hog Game should adopt SiN into an actual good game, not just Devolver Digital?

Also maybe because I'm a bit stupid, but I'm hyped for E3
for all the hype train wrecks and fucking awesomesauce indie games

Has Adult Swim said anything about an E3 presence.

No but they are always there. You can be sure there will be some announcements.

Anyone know the name of a certain steam indie...

It's like 4 player co-op. 1 player is the hero, the other 3 are ghosts who try and kill the hero with traps or by turning into monsters in certain rooms. You can upgrade your monsters and weapons and what not. At the end is a boss where everyone can posses a certain part of it.

Played it last night at my friends place and we had a blast just 4 of us. Completely blanking on the name.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It's like 4 player co-op. 1 player is the hero, the other 3 are ghosts who try and kill the hero with traps or by turning into monsters in certain rooms. You can upgrade your monsters and weapons and what not. At the end is a boss where everyone can posses a certain part of it.

Played it last night at my friends place and we had a blast just 4 of us. Completely blanking on the name.

Pac-Man

Crawl

BHK3

Banned
Is there a good catch all type of guide to fix microstutter in games? Or do I have to google solutions for each game?

So uhh let's see, Far Cry 2 is best Far Cry, Binary Domain is best Vanquish, SiN Episodes Emergence had a hard life but is good for what it is, and fuck cancer!

Finished my first playthrough of Prey tonight and it was so, so good. I'm looking forward to trying a no neuromod run.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So uhh let's see, Far Cry 2 is best Far Cry, Binary Domain is best Vanquish, SiN Episodes Emergence had a hard life but is good for what it is, and fuck cancer!

Finished my first playthrough of Prey tonight and it was so, so good. I'm looking forward to trying a no neuromod run.

Thousand times yes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom