• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladekabel

IGN and Game Informer with their Top 100 RPG lists... my god at some of the choices :| hahaha

Game Informer: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235501129&postcount=141

95. The World Ends With You
68. Divinity: Original Sin

behind

57. Dragon Age: Inquisition
1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

137593505136.jpg

84. Horizon: Zero Dawn
47. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Top 100 RPGs of all time

Yo, what?

I can't believe somebody (anybody) can seriously believe that Skyrim is the best RPG
like it's so deeply defies reason, it's unsettling
Show me another RPG to elicit this kind of reaction from a professional before even being played

untitled-322x4e.gif

(but please people, don't fall prey to the list trap, they're just there to incite a reaction outta you)

Corpekata

Banned
At least the Gameinformer one has the sense to not include Legend of Dragoon like the IGN one did (comically right above fucking Icewind Dale II).

PantsuJo

Ergo proxy
Mediocre, imo. Totally.

Awesome first episodes, it ends like shit.

One of the most boring scifi series ever made. (again, imo)

Anyway, back on thread: BotVice is so cool, a simple funny arcade shooter with great OST.

I recommend it.

So in Automata I
purchased
10 achievements I was missing, but I notice there's one I still miss I can't
purchase.
Is that related to the dlc or not?
Also to get the
Emil's quests
, what chapter I need to reload?

Which one are you missing. If I had to guess I'd say it's one that should be unmissable thus having no reason to be made purchasable. The game does seem a bit buggy when it comes to achievements.

Well I took the highest tier, I've wanted to get Curious for some time and Sausage looks really interesting.

Enjoy these two games:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Large Professor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

They Bleed Pixels -- MB-7DF233773DBEBCC4 - Taken by sixteen-bit. 5 entrants total.
UnderRail -- MB-50866FB67313E4AC - Taken by Jadax. 12 entrants total.

t1493818126z1.png

Ludens

Banned
Which one are you missing. If I had to guess I'd say it's one that should be unmissable thus having no reason to be made purchasable. The game does seem a bit buggy when it comes to achievements.

I found it, Bigby hinted what I needed to do, it was a story thing.
I will do some sides later, anyway, since I missed them on my runs.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For anime recommendations, if you don't mind a kind of surreal psychological story, I would push for Serial Experiments Lain, if you haven't seen it already.

Bringing it up both because I personally love the series, but also the series is an interesting deconstruction of a few anime tropes, including sexualization. The basic premise is that we follow a quiet girl name named Lain in Middle School. A girl at their school commits suicide, which gets the school gossiping, but Lain begins to receive messages from the supposedly dead student on the Wire (the internet, essentially). She also begins to get mistaken a lot for another Lain, somebody who seems to be popular on the internet who looks exactly like her and has her name but has a completely different personality.

This is all revealed in the first couple episodes of the show, and where the show goes from there is deeply interesting and quite something. The show is strange, but very intelligent. It was aired in 1998, but it's scary how much it predicted correctly about the upcoming 'rise' of the internet.

It's certainly not unpopular and a bit old now, so may have heard of it/seen it before, though.

Also it's better than Ergo Proxy and the two get compared a lot.

I had the VHS for the first three episodes of Lain for a long while with no way to watch the rest. Took me years before I watched the full thing. It goes into a weird direction that I don't remember liking considering the hook I felt at its start, but I should revisit it. I loved its opening.

Ascheroth

IGN and Game Informer with their Top 100 RPG lists... my god at some of the choices :| hahaha

IGN (Incomplete for now): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367434
Game Informer: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235501129&postcount=141
I'm not taking any list about RPGs seriously that doesn't even mention a single Trails game. That tells me the list creator has absolutely no idea what he's talking about
as does putting Skyrim at the top, and the Elder Scrolls games are one of my favorite games - but not because they're good RPGs :p

Can't decide what hurts more, this or Skyrim at #1

edit:

These are also pretty good examples of how pathetic these lists are...
Dragon Age Inquisition being on the list just invalidated the entire list. Not to mention it was ranked higher than Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity.
0.jpg

oipic

For those that may not have seen the news, RPS now belongs to Gamer Network, those responsible for Eurogamer, ModDB, GamesIndustry.biz and VG247.

They not surprisingly claim this is only good news, of course - additional resources and support, no loss of editorial control, etc.

Pixieking

Banned
For those that may not have seen the news, RPS now belongs to Gamer Network, those responsible for Eurogamer, ModDB, GamesIndustry.biz and VG247.

They not surprisingly claim this is only good news, of course - additional resources and support, no loss of editorial control, etc.

I was hoping perpetually angry John Walker would be leaving, but it sounds like that's unlikely.

Relatedly,

Kieron Gillen‏Verified account @kierongillen 1h1 hour ago
Replying to @kierongillen

(And as I'm no longer a co-owner of RPS that does mean I am OFFICIALLY out of games journalism. Whoop! You're all safe now.)

Coreda

Don't panic. It's good things. This includes the opportunity to do exciting things like... modernise the site's appearance

I hope they don't completely mess up the vibe. So many design refreshes I come across are less about optimizing for all screen sizes and either focus on mobile at the expense of desktop or believe looking like every other 'modern' site is a good thing while adding little functionally (or even taking away features as in the case of the recent userstyles.org overhaul to their shame).

Knurek

Ghost Trick has no clicker.

Anyway I suggest looking it up, game was written by monty python people

Oh, I know the game, made by the devs of Gex and Pandemonium. It's just not something that comes to mind when you mention console exclusive point and clicks.
Zack and Wiki, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Ghost Trick, sure... This one... not so much. :p

Deques

Elliot Quest update. New update on 8th May

I'm excited to introduce myself! I'm with PlayEveryWare, and we've been working with Ansimuz Games to develop a C++ version of Elliot Quest. We've rebuilt the game from scratch so that we can bring it to consoles (which we just announced) as well as further support the game on Steam!

Some of the new features that will come with this update on Steam:
- Multiple save slots
- Steam achievements
- Steam Cloud Saves
- Full controller support + multiple control modes
- Localization: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Japanese
- New hidden collectibles

We plan to release this update on Steam on May 8th. There may be some updates on the product page in the meantime, showing the new features - but they won't actually be available until the update is released on Monday.

With all of this, we feel like it's fair to update the price of the game to $14.99. However, we won't be starting that until May 15th. Until then, we will be discounting the game by 25% of it's current price (so $7.49 USD) once the update is released.

There are two other important notes for this update to know about:
- This C++ rewrite of the game does not currently support Mac or Linux. The current plan is to update the engine to support Mac near the end of summer, and Linux sometime after that.
- Existing save data is not yet supported. We are currently working on a conversion tool that will extract and convert the original save data.

Thank you everyone!

Durante

For anime recommendations, if you don't mind a kind of surreal psychological story, I would push for Serial Experiments Lain, if you haven't seen it already.
The 5th or 6th anime series I watched (on purpose and in Japanese with subtitles), and still easily one of my all-time favourites. Easily.

I wish 90% of science fiction entertainment -- both eastern and western -- was half as erudite as Lain.

Ascheroth

The 5th or 6th anime series I watched (on purpose and in Japanese with subtitles), and still easily one of my all-time favourites. Easily.

I wish 90% of science fiction entertainment -- both eastern and western -- was half as erudite as Lain.

The currently airing Kado: The Right Answer is also worth a watch as far as sci-fi anime goes. Very interesting show about first contact and negotiating with a vastly different alien lifeform.
Of course it's not over yet, so it's not possible to say how it will actually turn out in the end, but so far it's been great. (Episode 0 is the recommended starting point)

Knurek

You need more Iain M. Banks in your life, Durante.
Also Stephenson. Also Vonnegut. Also Gibson.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh, I know the game, made by the devs of Gex and Pandemonium. It's just not something that comes to mind when you mention console exclusive point and clicks.
Zack and Wiki, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Ghost Trick, sure... This one... not so much. :p

Ah

it has a special place inside my heart :p

Ascheroth

Wow, Nier:A went up by 60k with the asia release despite the god-awful handling of the release and price situation (310k right now).
I can't help but think that this game would already be between 400k-500k if Square Enix had handled this port with a modicum of decency.

I haven't even played 100 rpgs and I still wouldn't put Dragon Age: Inquisition on a list.

I would always put Dragon Age Inquisition on a top 100 rpg list. It is like highlighting atrocities in ww2, some things should just not be swept under the rug and forgotten. For the same reason, Skyrim is a worthy #1.

bigzgod

I'm not taking any list about RPGs seriously that doesn't even mention a single Trails game. That tells me the list creator has absolutely no idea what he's talking about
as does putting Skyrim at the top, and the Elder Scrolls games are one of my favorite games - but not because they're good RPGs :p

That's absurd. Some of the games in that list aren't even RPGs.

Phox

Banned
Is mount your friends considered a RPG? I roleplay as a man with a floppy dong when I play and love it.

Top 10 please

So anyone have any 90's games that they wish would appear randomly on GOG and/or Steam?

After Ignition and TrickStyle, all I'm waiting for is Magic The Gathering: Shandalar

Its really hard to think of something that isn't already on GoG that I want to see. SimGolf maybe? Nova 9: The Return of Gir Draxon?

Home version won't be affected by the upcoming 10S.
The sky is falling! Actually no. Every version of windows since XP has a similar release.
Examples
  • Windows XP Lite
  • Windows XP Embedded
  • Windows Vista Starter
  • Windows (7) Thin
  • Windows (8) RT

10 S is filling a similar niche. It will end up being used by organizations who only want a small set of approved apps installed. The general user base will never see it.

IGN (Incomplete for now): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367434

Neither list has this and thus are invalid:

XCOM 2012 is my favorite RPG
So your favorite RPG isn't an RPG? Alright I suppose.

I wonder if Valve is going to make any games anymore or release Source Engine 2.
I'm sure they will release source engine 2 to other developers. i think they already have. Valve making and releasing another game? Doubt it.

voodooray

Voidrunner Beta Steam key
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Voidrunner (BETA) -- MB-1EB6268CFCCFB8B3

strafer

Websites and their top 100 lists are always going to be a nightmare.

you cat please everyone

and they have been done to death...there is no final list...you have to wait until there is no more games made.

lists in general is a bad idea, i mean, you dont wanna see my top 5, you will wanna kill me after you read that so.

Tizoc

Mediocre, imo. Totally.

Awesome first episodes, it ends like shit.

One of the most boring scifi series ever made. (again, imo)

Anyway, back on thread: BotVice is so cool, a simple funny arcade shooter with great OST.

I recommend it.

Dang that's a shame. I should really get to watching it once I'm done with PsychoPass.

I have BotVice on my wishlist, might get it soon.

Arthea

Websites and their top 100 lists are always going to be a nightmare.

you cat please everyone

and they have been done to death...there is no final list...you have to wait until there is no more games made.

lists in general is a bad idea, i mean, you dont wanna see my top 5, you will wanna kill me after you read that so.

it's not about pleasing actually, it's about knowing what are you talking about, because Skyrim is not even mediocre RPG, let alone the best, it's popular for quite different reasons.

Tizoc

Bringing it up both because I personally love the series, but also the series is an interesting deconstruction of a few anime tropes, including sexualization. The basic premise is that we follow a quiet girl name named Lain in Middle School. A girl at their school commits suicide, which gets the school gossiping, but Lain begins to receive messages from the supposedly dead student on the Wire (the internet, essentially). She also begins to get mistaken a lot for another Lain, somebody who seems to be popular on the internet who looks exactly like her and has her name but has a completely different personality.

This is all revealed in the first couple episodes of the show, and where the show goes from there is deeply interesting and quite something. The show is strange, but very intelligent. It was aired in 1998, but it's scary how much it predicted correctly about the upcoming 'rise' of the internet.

It's certainly not unpopular and a bit old now, so may have heard of it/seen it before, though.

Yo Dusk
When you gonna watch JoJo fam? Or at least read the first 3 Parts, they've got Horror movie inspirations up the wazoo.

I've got Lain but hadn't watched it yet, need to get around to someday :X

Endruen

I watched it and I can't, for the life of me, tell you what the fuck it was about. I didn't understand a thing of what happened.
Maybe I'm too dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom