• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnor

Banned
Goddamnit Valve, AAA developers games are super expensive here because of non-sensical prices conversions.

I guess this is a goodbye to Square, Activision, Bethesda and other developers games.

some humbleness

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hacknet -- MB-FA2259DA99200DBF - Taken by Mikurden. 7 entrants total.
UnderRail -- MB-0125044A4236C75D - Taken by Sarcasm. 8 entrants total.

t1493869477z1.png

I'm guessing you can only gift a game to another region if the game costs the same or more than your region.

Well the specific language they use is

When there is a large difference in pricing between countries, gifting won't be available and you'll know before purchase.

Now what constitutes a 'large difference' according to Valve?

Speaking of Bad ports Heroes 2 is sadly pretty unplayable for me. Mostly smooth for 20 minutes and then the framerate tanks and loading a video in the background doesn't work for me.

bigzgod

We'll have to figure that out. Maybe there's a 10-20% variance where they allow gifting.

So for example if a game costs $20 for me I can gift it to regions where the price is between $16 and $24.

EDIT - I just asked my friend in England to try and gift Prey to me and he's getting the error message. According to SteamDB the price difference is 16.8% between the two countries. So the limit is lower than that.

I can't gift PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds to someone in the UK, which is a 15.85% difference.

Anteater

remember when gabe was so proud of steam and said people were pirating because of the inconvenience of things such as region lock? lmao

Eila

Not like this man...
Also this kills people wanting to buy games that are region locked. Good luck to the people living in Asia wanting to grab many japanese games on steam. For now I guess steam keys will work but with all these changes that's probably next.

dex3108

I kinda wonder if is it possible to sue Valve in EU regarding this gifting limitations? As far as I know EU doesn't allow these kinda of things.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The new gifting changes are pretty expected, the writing has been on the wall for a while now and it was pretty obvious that Steam probably wouldn't keep the existing (now legacy) system in place forever.

If I had to guess, I'd say this is just the first part of one of their overarching goals that will also include some of the things Jim Sterling and Totalbiscuit apparently discussed with Valve during their visit - chiefly that developers will start being able to issue review copies directly to users on Steam to keep that entire side of things squarely in their own controlled ecosystem. The bigger they get, the more sense it makes for Valve to sort of re-neg on some of these customer-centric features they've provided forever in favor of winning developer/publisher support at the expense of a very small vocal minority of their customer base (typically, us). The truth is that this change likely won't affect a huge number of their paying customers outside of the ones that were using the system to bypass region restrictions or get cheaper games anyway.

This change also eliminates the ability for people to purchase Steam copies of games and sell them on sites like G2A which, if I had to wager a guess, was a big part of what drove this decision.

Catshade

Just heard about the new gifting policy...which is absolutely horse balls. This is not retroactive, right? I mean, the games already in my inventory can still be gifted to other people, I hope? :/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In other news, I guess I can decommission this Enhanced Steam feature now.

nZ0yyux.png

This feature was originally implemented in Enhanced Steam 2.0 released January 2013. Valve time.

jshackles

WTT

My Steam account for your gog account

Honestly, if GOG Connect ended up being what we all thought it would be when it first started, I probably wouldn't even be using Steam anymore.

The gifting changes definitely suck, but the save-in-inventory stuff only made sense for:

• Grabbing extra gift copies
  • Buying DLC for a game you don't own
  • Digital hoarding
Not being able to buy DLC for a game you don't yet own is annoying. Personally, there were very few times where I felt the need to store extra gifts in my inventory -- most of the time the gift went straight to the recipient (via email, or direct through Steam). The DLC trick and saving extra copies for later were useful, but they weren't so useful that "I can't possibly use Steam without these changes, time to move to GOG/Windows Store/Origin/Uplay" makes any sense.

The bigger question is: how do multi-packs work now? Do you still get extra gifts, or do you have to pick recipients to send the extras to right when you buy it?

Oh... :( But I hardly ever buy bundles, so I guess that's it for me and gifting. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Well, you could technically run a raffle, find out who the winner is, and send it to them directly through Steam. It's way more work, but it's not like Modbot raffles are 100% dead now.

We need to update the thread title. It's a crisis for us all.

Gift resellers is a booming market in my country, and Valve is literally killing their businesses.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Well, you could technically run a raffle, find out who the winner is, and send it to them directly through Steam. It's way more work, but it's not like Modbot raffles are 100% dead now.

I was going to suggest this. Basically the giveaways will be kind of a IOU message but that can also mean some people might cheat the system and fool people so it might not be the best thing.

zkylon

zkylewd
For now. Valve will update us to our own regional store soon (valve time) and we'll probably get way higher prices... so we won't be able to gift stuff because it'll be over the 10% threshold.

guess this is the future we built for ourselves by collectively deceiving ourselves into thinking a monopoly can be kind

The gifting changes definitely suck, but the save-in-inventory stuff only made sense for:

• Grabbing extra gift copies
  • Buying DLC for a game you don't own
  • Digital hoarding
Not being able to buy DLC for a game you don't yet own is annoying. Personally, there were very few times where I felt the need to store extra gifts in my inventory -- most of the time the gift went straight to the recipient (via email, or direct through Steam). The DLC trick and saving extra copies for later were useful, but they weren't so useful that "I can't possibly use Steam without these changes, time to move to GOG/Windows Store/Origin/Uplay" makes any sense.

The bigger question is: how do multi-packs work now? Do you still get extra gifts, or do you have to pick recipients to send the extras to right when you buy it?

Yep, if there's any limited time DLC for games you don't own yet but would like to buy later it's really going to suck.

maty

I guess I can no longer get games from other cheaper stores in my region. :/

Which means waiting longer for games to become cheaper or for them to appear on gog or humble monthly bundle.

I was going to suggest this. Basically the giveaways will be kind of a IOU message but that can also mean some people might cheat the system and fool people so it might not be the best thing.

Doesn't this leave the chance the person running it isn't able to gift it to a winner in another country due to price difference?

Catshade

Now when I think about this again...does Steam suddenly not care about new user acquisition at all? Gifting through e-mail is the most practical way to gift a Steam game to someone who's not a Steam user (yet). Now you have to ask them to create a Steam account first to be able to receive their gift. Not a huge deal really, but still more incovenient than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom