• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

She just has good taste in RPGs.

Durante is a she?

3d088a42a512fc3ae83f9bd209dd31e0.gif

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I actually took a second picture to get her in the frame because I knew it would get a reaction out of someone :p
I don't even like Asuka, I won the figurine in a crane game when I was in Japan. I mean, you have to try crane games right?
Burn it and repent

Endruen

I actually took a second picture to get her in the frame because I knew it would get a reaction out of someone :p
I don't even like Asuka, I won the figurine in a crane game when I was in Japan. I mean, you have to try crane games right?

Well, looks like you've redeemed yourself.
No, DSfix does not count.
Neither Tales of Symphonia.
/jk, you're the man.

Uzzy

The Imperial Radch trilogy is in fact the best science fiction I read recently, thoroughly enjoyed that (I think it was late 2016). Any other suggestions?

I don't see The Diamond Age amongst your Stephenson books, so that'd be my number one suggestion. Provided that you don't own it/have read it already, of course!

Two other series that I read recently and greatly enjoyed are Richard K. Morgan's 'A Land Fit For Heroes' and Connie Willis' 'Oxford Time Travel' series. 'A Land Fit For Heroes' is a rather grim fantasy series, full of ultra-violence, politics and some rather interesting sci-fi elements that get hinted at throughout. The characters were the real stand outs for me though, I found the three main protagonists to be fascinating to get into the heads of.

The 'Oxford Time Travel' series is a set of unrelated stories about time traveling historians who inevitably find themselves in trouble. Which, as a History degree holding, sci-fi loving nerd, was right up my alley.

Knurek

The 'Oxford Time Travel' series is a set of unrelated stories about time traveling historians who inevitably find themselves in trouble. Which, as a History degree holding, sci-fi loving nerd, was right up my alley.

While I personally prefer Connie Willis' Bellwether to her Oxford Series, I must confess Doomsday Book's ending hits you hard

sadblob

Edit:
But let's get back to book suggestions. So far, everything that was suggested was something I absolutely loved, with the only problem being that I already read all of it.

Gene Wolfe?

Tonton

I thought TitS 3rd would already be gone from the top seller list by now pleasantly surprised to see it in 3rd

Although it's not in my local top seller which means people around here have shit taste

Arthea

I thought TitS 3rd would already be gone from the top seller list by now pleasantly surprised to see it in 3rd

Although it's not in my local top seller which means people around here have shit taste

it's third here too, tell me where you live that I can avoid that place!

Ampsicora

If I recall correctly, SC never got to the top 10 back then.

Ascheroth

The 3rd released on the 3rd and is sitting in 3rd.
The universe truly works in mysterious ways.

Durante

I don't see The Diamond Age amongst your Stephenson books, so that'd be my number one suggestion. Provided that you don't own it/have read it already, of course!
This is starting to sound silly, but it's my favourite Stephenson book, so much so that I basically forced my copy onto someone who is probably never going to read it.

Two other series that I read recently and greatly enjoyed are Richard K. Morgan's 'A Land Fit For Heroes' and Connie Willis' 'Oxford Time Travel' series. 'A Land Fit For Heroes' is a rather grim fantasy series, full of ultra-violence, politics and some rather interesting sci-fi elements that get hinted at throughout. The characters were the real stand outs for me though, I found the three main protagonists to be fascinating to get into the heads of.

I've read some of Morgan's books (the Takeshi Kovacs series) - I wasn't a huge fan but I did find them enjoyable. Might look at "A Land Fit For Heroes" in the future.

rfax1.jpg

(Isn't it amusing and/or scary how I randomly have Willis and Morgan almost right next to each other?)
Connie Willis is an interesting case. I loved the first book of hers I read, and immediately bought more, but at some point I got very fed up with the repetitive way the stories are structured and crises are introduced by characters acting very stupidly. At least that's what I remember.

Anyway, given your self-description I'd highly recommend "The Years of Rice and Salt", though you've probably already read it.

Interesting! Never heard of it. I usually don't like reading translations of literature all that much, but I might make an exception there.

zkylon

zkylewd
I can't stand her. On one scene she is bitching because Shinji is caring too much about her and in the next one she cries because he isn't paying her attention. So annoying...
she's meant to be hard to deal with but she has her redeeming points. also i love her design

I'll repost because I really need to know.
Is anybody playing Berseria? Does the combat get more difficult/deep?
Because for now all you have to do is spamming the same attack and finish devouring the first enemy and then you can keep devouring the others.

I mean, I hope it's because I'm still at the beginning (just sailed away from the first town), because for now I'm not feeling it. If we remove the story, everything that remains is the combat (since there's no systems like Atelier's crafting to keep you busy doing other interesting stuff), and for now is really braindead

I have finished Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride and it is indeed a nice game. The story is like a grim tale, the animations are funny, and gameplay-wise, it sits somewhere between a HOG and a point-n-click game..

Just so you know, most hidden-object games are "somewhere between a HOG and a point-and-click game" these days. Virtually none are pure hidden-object scenes now.

But glad you listened to my endorsement and it paid off for you.

Arthea

I mean, I hope it's because I'm still at the beginning (just sailed away from the first town), because for now I'm not feeling it. If we remove the story, everything that remains is the combat (since there's no systems like Atelier's crafting to keep you busy doing other interesting stuff), and for now is really braindead

I haven't played Berseria yet, but all Tales games start like that and don't remain very easy for long, considering that in later ones you can change difficulty on the go too. Isn't it the case in Berseria?
On what difficulty you are playing btw?

Super Star Wars Empire strikes back is coming on PSN, I wonder how long until those games hit Steam/GOG.

I'd love to play those again, but man, they have to have something like Disney Afternoon's rewind function. They're just too frustrating these days otherwise.

Durante

We're playing on Hard and it's still pretty simplistic. Basically the only "special" things you need to do is equip artes that use the elemental weaknesses of bosses, and use your mystic artes with a timing where you can take advantage of combo and stun bonuses.

I actually thought Zestiria was a bit more tactical, with when and how to armatize.

Uzzy

Arkane sure seems sure of themselves after the Dishonored 2 fiasco.

Personally, I'll take a buggy experience if it means we get a game with systems and level design as good as Dishonoured 2. Obviously I'd prefer a bug free experience, and bugs can have different effects on different people's experience, but immersive sims are rare enough and usually good enough for me to overlook them.

Anyway, given your self-description I'd highly recommend "The Years of Rice and Salt", though you've probably already read it.

Sure have! I don't have a copy to take a photo of, sadly, as I'd probably find a way to work my Major Motoko Kusanagi figures in.

BHK3

Banned
what dishonored 2 fiasco?

the game ran really badly on PC's and after numerous patches still doesn't work that well. I remember the PS4 Pro version also had problems that the regular Non Pro did not.

Is anyone here looking forward to Middle Earth Shadows of War?

Wok

Some people are not meant for trading.

Just so you know, most hidden-object games are "somewhere between a HOG and a point-and-click game" these days. Virtually none are pure hidden-object scenes now.

But glad you listened to my endorsement and it paid off for you.

It's a whole new genre. I don't know why I used to dismiss HOG, as if they were in the same basket as Candy Crush, etc.

I'm honestly so excited for Prey after reading about the opening and tests you take. Sounds a lot like System Shock 2, hopefully there's a good mix of enemies to make up for the combat focus.

Also this fish boss in psychonauts is so fucking boring that I want to go finish Voodoo Vince instead.

Jawmuncher

I'm honestly excited for Prey after reading about the opening and tests you take. Sounds a lot like System Shock 2, hopefully there's a good mix of enemies.

Does varying styles of mimics counts? Also the way those opening tests are set up, I can't see them impact anything outside the last one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm honestly excited for Prey after reading about the opening and tests you take. Sounds a lot like System Shock 2, hopefully there's a good mix of enemies.

I don't think there are any enemies aside from the Typhon and the space station's own defence systems. I'm a little concerned that the Typhon sharing a universal visual style will result in monotony setting in despite the practical differences between the various types. Whether big or small, they all look like smoke monsters.

Does varying styles of mimics? Also I the way those opening tests are set up, I can't see them impact anything outside the last one.
There's hour 2 stuff on euro gamer that shows a few other forms and I'm hoping for humanoid enemies to show up at some point as achievements mention
not killing any
. And it's very different and doesn't affect your class or skills but it was just a nice memory jogger lol.

I know people hate Dead Space 3 but there were a few times where you'd come across humans fighting the necromorphs with you in the middle and that's something I've always wanted to see more of in gaming. Alien Isolation had some hilarious segments where you could throw alarms at civilians and run away as the xenomorphs destroys them

Jawmuncher

There's hour 2 stuff on euro gamer that shows a few othera and I'm hoping for human enemies to show up at some point. And it's very different and doesn't affect your class or skills but it was just a nice memory jogger lol.

I know people hate Dead Space 3 but there were a few times where you'd come across humans fighting the necromorphs with you in the middle and that's something I've always wanted to see more of in gaming

I'll agree with you there. I always loved the whole 1 v 1 v 1 mechanics. Very few games have them, but they're always a treat to see. Last one's I recall are Turok 2008 and Aliens Colonial Marines.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys what's this Praeying thing?

*Reads thread*

They didn't....

*reads more*

They did.

My god, why are they so dumb. I wish there was some way for that indie developer to sue the fuck out of Bethseda for abuse of copyright or trademark or whatever. You can't monopolize all uses of a word just because you chose to name your game a common 4 letter word. If anything they shouldn't be allowed to trademark or copyright that term in the first place. Apparently the US system doesn't care about that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom