• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They would probably be open about people making mods, and then perhaps selling them as full games, like Dear Esther, Stanleys Parable and many, many others. That would stay totally within their ecosystem, after all.

Oh, certainly. I meant for traditional commercial use.

Its not available at all in China.

Right, so you can still receive gift copies. ;)

JaseC

no, he actually can't, unless people report this falsely, you can't gift any game locked to that region.
somebody here can check, I'm at work, so I can't.

I did check:

dqh22chinam8a98.jpg

Edit:
Actually, it seems like publishers can elect to block certain countries. I can gift DQH2 to Chairmanchuck but I can't send Xenoverse 2 to spin.
If the sub is set up to only be purchasable in specific countries, then it can only be sent as a gift to users in those regions. It's actually increasingly rare for region-specific store subs to have the PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags attached these days, though, since the loophole that allowed users to purchase a sub without the flags in an unintended region was closed circa Dying Light.

Yeah, I don't expect it to gain much traction and in fact wouldn't be surprised if Valve simply nixxes plans to licence it out.

Yeah, a valve dev recently said on twitter

and given Gabe's comments in their roundtable event how it's not going to be great as Unity for many and they're still thinking how to deliver it and that there's a lot of work with documentation, tools and updates which is a question of priority...yeah. Certainly a different tune to 2015's "it's going to be out for free for everyone".

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Anyways, I do think Steam may be very close to a number of big changes outside of gifting. We know Steam Direct is on the horizon and Spring doesn't last much longer, we know about Steam Explorers and such things, it sounds like we're very close to several big updates hitting the storefront. Guess they decided to push the gift thing ahead of the others.

I do have some mixed feelings on it. On one side, I can understand why. I don't think this is a 100% negative. But I think it sucks for many for a number of reasons. For me it sucks because of making inventory items to play games with friends later.

At least this doesn't seem to effect gifts you already had in your inventory before this change, though. I had been storing some multiplayer games to gift to friends when I stopped being busy this summer to play with them. I also am happy gifting still can work, but sometimes you buy a game you don't quite know who you want to give to yet when it's on sale.

Catshade

How does Steam determine your account's country, anyway? IP check or billing address check? Is it possible to create a 'US' Steam account using VPN or fake address?

JaseC

How does Steam determine your account's country, anyway? IP check or billing address check? Is it possible to create a 'US' Steam account using VPN or fake address?

Your account region is determined by the region within which you last completed a purchase.

I emailed Steam before when I got my chinese residence permit so they manually changed it to China. Now I think they do an IP check or so?

Edit: Or what Jasec said.

JaseC

Actually, it seems like publishers can elect to block certain countries. I can gift DQH2 to Chairmanchuck but I can't send Xenoverse 2 to spin.

JaseC

So what does that mean? lol

If the sub is set up to only be purchasable in specific countries, then it can only be sent as a gift to users in those regions. It's actually increasingly rare for region-specific store subs to have the PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags attached these days, though, since the loophole that allowed users to purchase a PRC-free sub in an unintended region was closed circa Dying Light.

Wok

I stopped doing the regional pricing abuse a while back and switched over to the wait for games to reach the price they are worth to you method. It works pretty great when you learn to have a little patience.

To a person who must buy all the games, every game is worthless.

Excellent point. I'm glad Valve showed me the light with the delete the game from your account function.

So Valve let you delete games from your account so that you could realize that you would not want to collect everyone of them. With this new mindset, you may attach some worth to a few games again, and you can come back to the original mindset of "wait for games to reach the price they are worth to you method". Valve is like a fisherman who would catch a whale, and release it again to catch it again. We are all Valve's fish.

Arthea

so wait, can you gift region locked games to those regions, or can't you?
Or can you gift some but you can't others?

This is so confusing

JaseC

Is it client only? Cause Ive been testing a few games that have price differences, but nothing happens, Im able to get to the cc page, this is in browser.

It's a store-level thing. If you can reach the purchase confirmation screen, then it's a valid gift purchase.

PantsuJo

I can understand the problems related to gift changes, honestly. Too bad for some countries :(

On the other side, I'm trying to understand Valve too... Maybe they're trying to stop gifting reselling on G2A/Kinguin?

But this would lead to piracy in some countries... Right? :/

Vuze

I can understand the problems related to gift changes, honestly. Too bad for some countries :(

On the other side, I'm trying to understand Valve too... Maybe they're trying to stop gifting reselling on G2A/Kinguin?

But this would lead to piracy in some countries... Right? :/
I mean, the shady credit card fraud sellers will just offer popular games then that are guaranteed to sell quickly and send the gift directly instead of hoarding it.

That's atleast how I imagine they will circumvent this but I haven't bought anything on steam with CC yet so I don't know if they have extra restrictions.

Tomasety

I agree pretty much with jshackles on the matter.

I suspect that one of the main reasons Valve had in mind when they opted to restrict gifting was G2A and the alike and giftresellers.

It certainly makes sense now once that steam wallet limit has increased to $2000. I don't think Valve wanted to let people hoard easily even more gifts on their inventories.
As people have said before me this prevents users to buy games cheaper on big sales to resell them after when price games are back to normal and also kills game price glitches.(+ the G2A marketplace involved)

Once again, this proves how abusing from a system (few people trading/reselling compared with steam user base numbers) leads to an impact on the majority of the community.

One easy example, one of the last few really good offers on steam store was Endless Space Collection for 1$.

wiPHQop.png

People hoarded those gifts to resell them later, presumable after trading period restriction lifted (30 days)

Sad thing is what big publishers are doing with regional prices, that's really unfair and they must take actions on it.

So what does that mean? lol

What JaseC and Madjoki have explained before but in case you are still confused, then the example of JaseC and Xenoverse 2.

Xenoverse 2 on store has this specific sub,
9bUk0IB.png
which has this type of restriction tied
xtmoC1T.png

So if JaseC buys it he can't gift it to anybody who lives in those specific countries listed above.

Jadax

These game gifting/trading changes were expected tbh. I'm just surprised Valve took so long to implement them since the Russian trading change (region-specific trading).

lazerfox

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Quake Champions Beta Key 1 -- MB-3565C6E2284DCC55 - Taken by TetraxShards
Quake Champions Beta Key 2 -- MB-573644514D4826DA - Taken by derFeef
Quake Champions Beta Key 3 -- MB-5EB11850C64A5C52 - Taken by krczt23

Redeem: https://account.bethesda.net/en/settings/redeem-code
Closed Beta Test begins May 4th at 10:00AM EDT and runs until May 7th at 4:00PM EDT

JaseC

I need confirmation on this. If I want to buy games no longer on Steam, do I still need to pay with keys and on sites like Steamtrades.com and TF2Outpost.com?

If retail keys aren't an option, yes, you can still chase down a spare gift copy. Users still have access to the gifts stored in their inventories; they just can't send them via the trade system (or e-mail) any more, only directly to friends. That also means you'll likely have to go first, regardless of whether you're paying with keys or PayPal Bucks, so be extra careful.

Edit:
Actually, I just checked and it's still possible to receive gifts via trade. Serves me right for assuming, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom