• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

When you're in a big battle and Blackout/Gae Bolg triggers early on and wipes out all the enemy unions (except the boss).

d96.jpg

So good. Just happened to me at Koenigsdorf and made the boss fight so much easier.

I should really get around to finishing TLR, but I'm nowhere close lol.

When you're in a big battle and Blackout/Gae Bolg triggers early on and wipes out all the enemy unions (except the boss).

d96.jpg

So good. Just happened to me at Koenigsdorf and made the boss fight so much easier.

Lol yea, what a relief.

Hope we can see new Last Remnant game one day. :(

chronomac

Extras:
ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

No Time to Explain Remastered -- MB-4FF1296A5F291D26
Road to Ballhalla -- MB-DCF1D9C984D33F76 - Taken by Aaron D.. 4 entrants total.
Speedrunners -- MB-9D23E81E3DF5DB5C - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 5 entrants total.

t1494358284z1.png

I should really get around to finishing TLR, but I'm nowhere close lol.

I'm gonna make a LTTP thread when I'm finished with it, because I have a lot to say about TLR. I like the game but I don't blame anyone for dropping it. There are some serious game design flaws that really hold it back from reaching its potential.

duppolo

Caved on Playerunknown's Battlegrounds and spent my lunch downloading and playing it.

That was enough time to:

-make a character but not pick the haircut the alt-reich co-opted
-play my first round trying to punch a guy who had an automatic weapon, and promptly die
-change my controls so the map isn't way the hell over there on M, and really shoot up my sensitivity
-use a revolver to down a guy with a shotgun, steal all of his gear, hop into an abandoned buggy and run someone over, flipping it, and then getting finished off from who knows where

I think I'm really going to enjoy this game once I know what the hell is going on.

Apart from ultima online is the game that give a me more vibes. If some eu/ita wants to play with me, im duppolo, add me!

Someone wants to buy the bundle but does not want street of rogue? If so, il like to buy that from you

Ascheroth

I'm gonna make a LTTP thread when I'm finished with it, because I have a lot to say about TLR. I like the game but I don't blame anyone for dropping it. There are some serious game design flaws that really hold it back from reaching its potential.
Are you telling me you don't enjoy having to read a Wiki alongside playing? :p

RS4-

I probably spent a few mins on the PC version when it came to Steam, but there was a huge gap between that and the 360 release iirc.

I probably had less than 20 hours invested in it.

Madventure

First screens/gifs were published today from Risk of Rain 2. Very early in development.

Everything from that link explaining it sounds great to me but I'm biased, I've got 200+ hours playing the first one with my friends.
So if it's just an updated version with a different visual style whatever's clever, I'm just super excited they're doing more Risk of Rain.

MadGear

You can all welcome my newest family member:

A friend of mine got a very similar one (with a clear acrylic top). If yours is build the same way you can actually replace the lever and buttons with Sanwa parts. IIRC the lever wasn't that bad but you might want to replace those buttons.

Accoun

Welp, playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky and had a quest bug out. Guess I gotta skip it, since I accidentally quicksaved instead of making a new save file.

Had to rescue one character's brother. I attacked the bandits and killed them. However, he was hostile to me and I had to kill him. Apparently it happens because I shot an explosive barrel and it hurt him.
The funny thing is... he was in a tunnel ~50 meters away, while the bandits and the barrel were quite far outside.
Even funnier: he came out of the tunnel like nothing has happened, went to a place where the bandits were and got on his knees, where apparently he was supposed to be. Then we talked, he activated, grabbed a gun from a corpse and shot me. And ran away randomly, because it wasn't enough and he had no ammo.

Did I mention the tunnel is an exit from the level and that he was behind the warpzone?

I mean, I'm not even surprised. Shadow Of Chernobyl I could finish vanilla, while here I _had_ to install a mod just to make faction wars work at all and let me leave the first area. And of course lose a few hours of game, because saves aren't compatible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arminsc

So this morning I was talking with some coworkers about Nier: Automata and they were asking me for opinions on it (I just started playthrough B) so I told them about the 26 endings and that most of them were just joke endings, and "spoiled" them one of the joke ones. They got all mad at me like "dude... spoilers!". But to me it's just a silly thing, like the true spoiler would be if someone told me the endinc C for example.

What do you guys think? Are they overreacting or do I care too little?

Corpekata

Banned
So this morning I was talking with some coworkers about Nier: Automata and they were asking me for opinions on it (I just started playthrough B) so I told them about the 26 endings and that most of them were just joke endings, and "spoiled" them one of the joke ones. They got all mad at me like "dude... spoilers!". But to me it's just a silly thing, like the true spoiler would be if someone told me the endinc C for example.

If it was like Ending K, then they are douches. I dont know all the joke endings though so don't have all the context.

Knurek

What do you guys think?

Aeris dies.
Vader was Luke's father.
Rosebud was the sled.
Vincent Vega dies in Pulp Fiction.

Kssio_Aug

Haven't played Nier yet, and have no idea of how much different the endings are and if they're deep or as shallow as Fallout's multiple endings. But at first I would be mad... I hate spoilers soo much, and I appreciate when someone asks me first if they can tell me about the end of a game / movie or not, and if they tell me how much they're actually gonna give about it.

I really appreciate experiencing the excitement of a plot twist, or what actually happens to the main characters in a story (books, movies, games, whatever) and I deeply hate when someone thinks that, just because they don't really care, no one should. I don't usually mind spoilers of more insignificant events though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Some people prefer to go in with as little knowledge of something as possible. The little joys brought by discovery are dulled when they know ahead of time to expect it. Did you experience that ending without knowing it was a thing ahead of time? They won't have that exact same experience anymore. It's a subtle effect, but one that's important to preserve for others.

As Kssio_Aug says, it's best to ask ahead of time if someone minds, just to be on the safe side.

Aeris dies.
Vader was Luke's father.
Rosebud was the sled.

Bruce Willis was a ghost the whole time.
Snape kills Dumbledore.
Tyler Durden doesn't exist.
The Planet of the Apes is actually Earth.
Soylent Green is people.
Dil is transgender.

Arminsc

If it was like Ending K, then they are douches. I dont know all the joke endings though so don't have all the context.

It was actually ending K.

Aeris dies.
Vader was Luke's father.
Rosebud was the sled.

lol

Haven't played Nier yet, and have no idea of how much different the endings are and if they're deep or as shallow as Fallout's multiple endings. But at first I would be mad... I hate spoilers soo much, and I appreciate when someone asks me first if they can tell me about the end of a game / movie or not, and if they tell me how much they're actually gonna give about it.

I really appreciate experiencing the excitement of a plot twist, or what actually happens to the main characters in a story (books, movies, games, whatever) and I deeply hate when someone thinks that, just because they don't really care, no one should. I don't usually mind spoilers of more insignificant events though.

Some people prefer to go in with as little knowledge of something as possible. The little joys brought by discovery are dulled when they know ahead of time to expect it. Did you experience that ending without knowing it was a thing ahead of time? They won't have that exact same experience anymore. It's a subtle effect, but one that's important to preserve for others.

As Kssio_Aug says, it's best to ask ahead of time if someone minds, just to be on the safe side.

Yeah, I don't say I did right there. For me it's just like if someone spoiled me an easter egg, since it was one of the joke endings that I think are little more than that.
I just put it as an example of one of the many joke endigns of the game, and that was the only one of those I got.

Otherwise I agree that people can be more sensitive to this kind of thing, so I should be more careful and at least ask beforehand.

It's just that I took it to heart that they were so mad about something I think is so insignificant and wanted more opinions on it to see if I'm crazy or what.

And thanks for the input btw

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FeedMeAStrayCat, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Battlepaths -- MB-A21B0B950C1C3020 - Taken by bloke. 1 entrants total.
Ben There, Dan that/Time Gentleman Please -- MB-ED983C60C4D1A09C - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.
Canyon Capers -- MB-1497F556A7F39EFF - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.
No Time to Explain Remastered -- MB-37659A34BF5B78C9 - Taken by Dominican Power. 1 entrants total.
Pid -- MB-514EDBE962F32341 - Taken by Miniboss. 1 entrants total.
Zack Zero -- MB-3889A5B42BF4A90F - Taken by sadblob. 2 entrants total.
Zack Zero #2 -- MB-9B1D08157271A82F - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.

t1494361999z1.png

Some extra keys

Are you telling me you don't enjoy having to read a Wiki alongside playing? :p

Yes lol, but that isn't even the worst of it.

My single biggest issue is with the Battle Rank leveling system. It's like scaling on crack. You get punished for leveling up, unless you know exactly what you're doing. Hell I've been reading the Wiki the whole time and I still fucked up some characters. Coupled with the fact that the game basically doesn't explain anything about its mechanics, it's just far too punishing for no good reason.

I probably spent a few mins on the PC version when it came to Steam, but there was a huge gap between that and the 360 release iirc.

I probably had less than 20 hours invested in it.

Yeah I heard the PC version is a substantial improvement over the original, especially in terms of performance. I've seen a few gameplay clips of the 360 version and holy hell the stuttering looked bad.

Also, the QoL changes like turbo mode (fast-forwards through battle animations) and being able to disable unwanted arts are very nice.

Ascheroth

Yes lol, but that isn't even the worst of it.

My single biggest issue is with the Battle Rank leveling system. It's like scaling on crack. You get punished for leveling up, unless you know exactly what you're doing. Hell I've been reading the Wiki the whole time and I still fucked up some characters. Coupled with the fact that the game basically doesn't explain anything about its mechanics, it's just far too punishing for no good reason.

Yeah I heard the PC version is a substantial improvement over the original, especially in terms of performance. I've seen a few gameplay clips of the 360 version and holy hell the stuttering looked bad.

Also, the QoL changes like turbo mode (fast-forwards through battle animations) and being able to disable unwanted arts are very nice.
Honestly I never gave a crap about the BR system and just fought what I wanted whenever I wanted.
I've never played it much further then Nest of Eagles though, so maybe I was already fucked later down the line.

I fundamentally agree however that the BR system is a terrible design choice.

Dinjoralo

I was thinking of giving Birthdays a try... But all the reports of awful performance and input delay have me wary. Glad I didn't bite GMG at the first opportunity, I could buy it on steam and refund if it really runs bad.

The thing about spoilers is that the person trying to avoid it has no context for what is and isn't significant. So something that you know is trivial in the grand scheme of things might not feel that way to someone who cannot know it's importance in any way.

Spoilers are a difficult thing to deal with because you never how long you're supposed to hold back information and how someone might react to it. I suppose in this case you could explain to them that every ending outside the main five is just a glorified game over screen instead of being relevant to the narrative. And maybe consider apologizing anyway because you obviously didn't mean to harm their experience so... tell them that, and then explain to them why what you told them won't.

--

Finished a two short games over the past couple of days.

The Turing Test turned out to be a decent game. It's short and it's easy but it's still worth checking out. The game is divided into 7 chapter with 10 puzzles/rooms each. Out of the 70 puzzles, only about 20 will really make you think about how to solve them (and I'm being generous here). The game really is a bit too easy. The story bits are presented at the end of every chapter. I wish they had given the story a bit more depth but it's fairly intriguing nonetheless. Decent production values and I'd say the game is better than QUBE but obviously nowhere near Portal 2 in quality. Definitely a bundle/discount recommendation.

I also just finished What Remains of Edith Finch. Now this was a pretty fantastic game. Very similar to Gone Home in the sense that you spend 2-3 hours exploring a mansion and uncovering the story. I don't want to spoil anything but I will say that the experience is funny, sad, absurd, relatable, surreal and believable in different ways. The production values are awesome. Game looks gorgeous with tons of detail in the level design. It's one of those things where you have to decide what price you're willing to pay for a short experience like this, but if you do enjoy 'walking simulators' then I think there's a good chance you will like this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom